PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wells added to Bats roster

Benihana
07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
per Sundeck/Team Notes. We need more veteran arms in Louisville? This doesn't bode well for a Wood promotion. :confused:

BEETTLEBUG
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry but he is not a lefty he is right handed

Benihana
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Sorry but he is not a lefty he is right handed

Yep, saw that- fixed. This makes the move even stranger: what's the point of having guys like Lehr and Ramirez if you're going to bring aboard a guy like Wells for rotation depth?

camisadelgolf
07-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow, what a confusing signing. I can't say I'm shocked that the Reds would have interest in him (he's a veteran presence who can eat up innings and keep the younger players' arms fresh), but why the heck would Kip Wells want to go to Louisville when there are other Major League teams a lot more desperate for pitching?

His numbers have been absolutely disastrous over the past five years. Maybe the Reds see something in him that the Nationals didn't. To his credit, he did pretty well out of the bullpen in a small sample size for Syracuse this year.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wellski01.shtml

BRM
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Precursor to some selling?

GIDP
07-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Josh Fogg not available?

Gallen5862
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&did=milb&cid=416

Kip Wells P R R 6' 3" 205 04-21-1977 Active No

GOYA
07-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Robert Manuel called up to the Reds

Kingspoint
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Doesn't hurt to take a look at him.

Volquez is about to return, but not necessarily before Arroyo's next start.

Maybe they're thinking of putting Arroyo on the DL, but they need one start or two before Volquez is ready. They don't want to use Maloney or Ramirez if they don't have to, and Wells just gives them one more option.

Only conjecturing here. This isn't the reason why I thought they signed him.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Doesn't hurt to take a look at him.

Volquez is about to return, but not necessarily before Arroyo's next start.

Maybe they're thinking of putting Arroyo on the DL, but they need one start or two before Volquez is ready. They don't want to use Maloney or Ramirez if they don't have to, and Wells just gives them one more option.

Only conjecturing here. This isn't the reason why I thought they signed him.

Why in the world wouldn't they want to use Maloney or Ramirez (or Lehr, or LeCure?) This move just makes no sense at all. If you don't have confidence in guys like Ramirez and Lehr to make spot starts, they shouldn't be in the organization IMO. There are younger arms that could easily take their place.

batsfan
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
As I posted on the Rolen rumor thread, Wells in on the Bats RESERVE, not active roster, which would insinuate that a Louisville pitcher will soon be called up, or traded.

GOYA
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
As I posted on the Rolen rumor thread, Wells in on the Bats RESERVE, not active roster, which would insinuate that a Louisville pitcher will soon be called up, or traded.

Not to add fuel to that fire but Kelch has reported that Jocketty has been at the Bats games for the past few days.

texasdave
07-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Not to add fuel to that fire but Kelch has reported that Jocketty has been at the Bats games for the past few days.

Probably just wanted to see what scoring a run looked like, so that he can try to implement that at the major league level. :)

dougdirt
07-09-2009, 04:19 PM

I have heard a rumor that includes two Bats players being traded. One pitcher and one position player. We will see.

Edd Roush
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I have heard a rumor that includes two Bats players being traded. One pitcher and one position player. We will see.

Are you allowed to tell us what players are on both ends of the rumored deal?

mac624
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
for the Nationals this afternoon against the Astros. I'm confused now.

http://www.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290505120

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM

That game is the resumption of a suspended game from May 5th.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
nm

klw
07-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Even if you can't mention names can you disclose whether any major league level players are involved as well?

Tom Servo
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Kip Wells is a shapeshifter.

Kingspoint
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Why in the world wouldn't they want to use Maloney or Ramirez (or Lehr, or LeCure?) This move just makes no sense at all. If you don't have confidence in guys like Ramirez and Lehr to make spot starts, they shouldn't be in the organization IMO. There are younger arms that could easily take their place.

Ramirez and Maloney's spot starts so far this year have been poor. If there's a better option, they are going to take a look.

batsfan
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Ramirez and Maloney's spot starts so far this year have been poor. If there's a better option, they are going to take a look.

Ramirez gave up one hit (which was a homer) and a walk while striking out three phillies in his one appearance (2.1 innings) this year. I'd like to see Wells pitch better then that.