PDA

View Full Version : Dana Eveland

Benihana
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
The A's DFA'd 25-year-old LHP Dana Eveland today.

Supreme groundball pitcher, has struggled in the majors but put up great numbers in the PCL: Sounds like he's the groundball version of Maloney. I think he might be worth a look, at least until Bray comes back. I wouldn't give up anything of real value though. Maybe they'd take Jukich back? ;)

Homer Bailey
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Not to be sexist, but no thanks to female pitchers.

schroomytunes
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd offer someone like Cumberland for him, but I wouldn't give up anything more than that. He's only 25 and a lefty so he may have a future in the pen, so yeah I'd stash him at Louisville he may be useful.

Tom Servo
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I just saw the news on rotoworld and was going to post this same topic. He had a 4.34 ERA last year in 29 starts which isn't too shabby. I'd try and pick him up as a potential starter, if only to eat innings.

bucksfan2
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I just saw the news on rotoworld and was going to post this same topic. He had a 4.34 ERA last year in 29 starts which isn't too shabby. I'd try and pick him up as a potential starter, if only to eat innings.

What does a 4.34 ERA in Oakland translate into at GABP?

reds1869
07-08-2009, 11:12 AM

When you take the DH and park factors into consideration my guess would be pretty equivalent. I'd jump on this if I were the Reds. If nothing else, use it as a start to a deal including Holliday. The rental of MH is softened by a legitimate prospect in Eveland. He'll never be an ace but he is already a solid #5.

klw
07-08-2009, 11:25 AM
He was not very effective against the Red Sox lst night.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290707102
They brought him up for a spot start when the planned starter went ont eh bereavement list. He was working on 3 days rest. The Red Sox radio guys were commenting that his fastball was just being asked to be hit. Seemed to be working from his changeup in the part of the game I listened to.

reds1869
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
He was not very effective against the Red Sox lst night.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290707102
They brought him up for a spot start when the planned starter went ont eh bereavement list. He was working on 3 days rest. The Red Sox radio guys were commenting that his fastball was just being asked to be hit. Seemed to be working from his changeup in the part of the game I listened to.

He didn't have it last night, but I've watched him when he is on and he can look really nasty.

Benihana
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I might offer some kind of package that included 2 of Ramon Ramirez, Sean Henry, and/or Travis Webb. He may actually be a slightly better alternative to Matt Maloney.

On a semi-related note, I was at the A's/Sox game Monday night, and I was really impressed with Brett Anderson. What an arm!

Highlifeman21
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Our rotation is broke, therefore we need to fix it.

Harang might be gone by the end of the month, Arroyo is (insert really negative adjective here), Owings is fine as a BOR, we still don't know what we have with Bailey, and Cueto's gotten knocked around in 3 consecutive starts (I'm hoping some rest during the ASB will help that).

That being said, Cueto & Owings are the only 2 I trust to give the ball going forward (presuming Harang's traded). I want to give the ball to Bailey for more starts, but I'm not optimistic towards the results.

So, why not try and get Eveland? Why not try and get other arms that aren't currently in our organization also, since the arms currently in our organization don't quite cut it...

Benihana
07-08-2009, 11:50 AM
So, why not try and get Eveland? Why not try and get other arms that aren't currently in our organization also, since the arms currently in our organization don't quite cut it...

I agree, as long as it's not people like Kip Wells. :rolleyes:

A 25-year old lefty with groundball tendencies and a decent track record? Sure.
A 32-year old righty who's sporting an ERA > 6.00 for six different teams over the last three years? :barf:

Patrick Bateman
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Eveland's numbers really remind me of Doug Davis, who was pretty inconsistent coming up until he started to find success around the same age. His style of pitching sure isn't pretty (and neither is his pyhsiche), but I think he does have a pretty decent chance to become a reasonable back-end starter with his groundball tendencies, plus he's already shown that he can dominate AAA. I'm assuming that Arroyo needs a trip to the DL ASAP, meaning that we could use another arm, otherwise Maloney is really the only guy we have who might be able to pitch regularly in the majors.

Highlifeman21
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree, as long as it's not people like Kip Wells. :rolleyes:

A 25-year old lefty with groundball tendencies and a decent track record? Sure.
A 32-year old righty who's sporting an ERA > 6.00 for six different teams over the last three years? :barf:

I guess the problem lies in determining which SPs in our organization have a MLB future with us.

Arroyo? No.
Harang? I'd really be surprised if he was on the roster August 1.

Cueto? Yes
Volquez? Probably
Owings? Possibly
Bailey? Possibly
Maloney? No

And we have other guys in the pipes, but no one noteworthy @ AAA (unless I'm lazily forgetting someone).

So, bring in Eveland, bring in Wells to eat innings, doesn't matter to me. Just bring in bodies that aren't currently in our organization.

dfs
07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Subtract half a run for the DH.
Move from The coliseum to a neutral park inflates your ERA by 7%
Move from a neutral park to GAB inflates your ERA by another 5%

leaves you....right at 4.31.

I don't see why you don't talk to Oakland and swing a deal. You can never have too much pitching.

reds1869
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Subtract half a run for the DH.
Move from The coliseum to a neutral park inflates your ERA by 7%
Move from a neutral park to GAB inflates your ERA by another 5%

leaves you....right at 4.31.

I don't see why you don't talk to Oakland and swing a deal. You can never have too much pitching.

Kind of what I guessed. I agree, we need to go for it.

Falls City Beer
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd certainly give him a shot. Will he require a trade or can he just be signed?

reds1869
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd certainly give him a shot. Will he require a trade or can he just be signed?

They'll pull him back if he gets claimed, so they would then try to trade him.

Benihana
07-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess the problem lies in determining which SPs in our organization have a MLB future with us.

Arroyo? No.
Harang? I'd really be surprised if he was on the roster August 1.

Cueto? Yes
Volquez? Probably
Owings? Possibly
Bailey? Possibly
Maloney? No

And we have other guys in the pipes, but no one noteworthy @ AAA (unless I'm lazily forgetting someone).

So, bring in Eveland, bring in Wells to eat innings, doesn't matter to me. Just bring in bodies that aren't currently in our organization.

Disagree with this logic with respect to Wells and other "innings eaters."

If all you're going to get with said "innings eater" is a guy that gives you >6.00 ERA, you may as well let a 25-YO lefty do it rather than a 32-YO righty retread. In other words, let Maloney, LeCure, Ramirez, Eveland etc. take those innings, NOT Wells.

Also disagree with your future assessments. I'd say it's at least 50/50 as to whether or not Harang's on the roster come August 1- especially given this team's recent history at the trade deadline. Like it or not, at this rate Arroyo will probably be a part of this team's rotation next year as well, unless of course he can turn it around (like he did last year) enough to get some team willing to trade for him this August/offseason.

Cueto and Volquez are definitely part of the future, not "probably."
Bailey and Owings are probably part of the future, at least for the next year or two (until guys like Stewart/Wood/Leake are ready.)

I would definitely take a flyer on Eveland. Kip Wells? Gimme a break.

Benihana
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, nevermind.

According to www.mlbtraderumors.com, the A's have no intention of moving him anywhere other than to their AAA affiliate. As you were.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
www.mlbtraderumors.com

If you want an "innings eater" veteran type to replace Harang if he's dealt, look no further:

Mark Mulder wants to pitch in the majors soon and he expects to begin auditioning for scouts in the next week or ten days

Although, I don't know how "hungry" Mulder is for innings after his injuries. Still, he's worth a shot if they're going to deal Harang and don't have much confidence in the AAA arms (which seems to be the case.) Much more so than Kip Wells anyway.

Scrap Irony
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd love to see Jocketty gamble on Mulder and that's one deal I think is probable. He's still only 31. Worth a look-see, certainly.