PDA

View Full Version : Between innings at the ballpark.... important stuff here

adampad
07-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Warning: This is a very boring and pointless post (somewhat like the Reds offense without Votto).

During the game against the Cards (Bruce's Bobblehead day) , they did the normal Skyline Chili ball mix up game. Where they put the ball under something and move it around and at the end the lucky contestant tells them which cup its under. EVERYONE knew it was under #3, and then they reveal it was #1! That was the second time in a row I have been to the game and that has happened. Are they just messing with people now or is Skyline cutting costs? If instant replay has ever been needed it was then.

Now days, it seems there are always something between innings; dancing grounds keepers, kiss cam (always funny when they show 2 members of the away teams bullpen), the "gun show". I hate the car race game. Who would ever root for the blue car at a Reds game anyway? The race between Rosie, Mr. Red, and Mr. Redleg is alright for the kids I guess. But it no where near as fun as the old game where the 3 Pac-man like balls scrolled across the old scoreboard at Riverfront! We need a grassroots movement to bring that back!

GIDP
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Warning: This is a very boring and pointless post (somewhat like the Reds offense without Votto).

During the game against the Cards (Bruce's Bobblehead day) , they did the normal Skyline Chili ball mix up game. Where they put the ball under something and move it around and at the end the lucky contestant tells them which cup its under. EVERYONE knew it was under #3, and then they reveal it was #1! That was the second time in a row I have been to the game and that has happened. Are they just messing with people now or is Skyline cutting costs? If instant replay has ever been needed it was then.

Now days, it seems there are always something between innings; dancing grounds keepers, kiss cam (always funny when they show 2 members of the away teams bullpen), the "gun show". I hate the car race game. Who would ever root for the blue car at a Reds game anyway? The race between Rosie, Mr. Red, and Mr. Redleg is alright for the kids I guess. But it no where near as fun as the old game where the 3 Pac-man like balls scrolled across the old scoreboard at Riverfront! We need a grassroots movement to bring that back!
Doesnt the row behind the one that got it wrong get the coneys? I dont see Skyline trying to screw people out of coneys anyways. At most they are giving away 5 bucks worth of food.

I think they should show the old version of the Reds race on the board also. I think they can show both but the old version should have never went away.

texasdave
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
They should probably do the between-innings activities while the Reds are at-bat. Maybe it would take the fans mind off of the lack of offense.

gilpdawg
07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
They shouldn't do anything. Fenway Park doesn't need that crap.

Gizmo
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Fenway Park has also had a competitive team the last decade.

GIDP
07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
and its not like any of their fans look at towards the feild until after the 8th inning anyways.

texasdave
07-08-2009, 05:29 PM
They shouldn't do anything. Fenway Park doesn't need that crap.

And who gives a crap about Fenway?

PhillipsHead
07-08-2009, 06:02 PM
The Red Sox can't afford between inning stuff. They spend 15x more on their team than the Reds...

AccordinglyReds
07-08-2009, 06:41 PM
In the last nearly 3 seconds of the Skyline game, it almost looks like a frame is taken out, making it much more difficult to figure out which. Almost like a hiccup. 2nd time I've been and that's happened, too.

gilpdawg
07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
And who gives a crap about Fenway?
I do. They do things the way it should be. We don't need that stupid crap at the games. It contributes nothing. Can you honestly say there's people out there who wouldn't go to the games if they didn't do the "Kiss Cam" and all that crap? People go to Fenway for the same reason I go to GABP. To watch a baseball game. The other stuff is just noise.

texasdave
07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, I would say you are in the minority. I would imagine that after the third inning less than 25% of the fans would be able to tell you the score without looking at the scoreboard. I have no problem with between-innings entertainment. As far as I can tell there is no baseball going on at that time.

BigJohn
07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I thought they sang Sweet Caroline between innings at Fenway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG0rcK0cqZU&feature=related

goreds2
07-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I do. They do things the way it should be. We don't need that stupid crap at the games. It contributes nothing. Can you honestly say there's people out there who wouldn't go to the games if they didn't do the "Kiss Cam" and all that crap? People go to Fenway for the same reason I go to GABP. To watch a baseball game. The other stuff is just noise.

Very well said. :beerme:

BurgervilleBuck
07-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Well, I would say you are in the minority. I would imagine that after the third inning less than 25% of the fans would be able to tell you the score without looking at the scoreboard.
He said Fenway, not Wrigley.

And for what it's worth, the between innings stuff is stupid and boring but easily ignorable.

gilpdawg
07-09-2009, 03:22 AM
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me per se, but it's just not needed.

EddieMilner
07-09-2009, 06:50 AM
I've been to quite a few parks and I typically don't enjoy the between inning antics. But I am a fan of the game and the MLB teams are not trying to sell me, I've been sold.
However, I have seen a few ballparks that have interesting ideas for the between inning family fun. One is the Angels. When you get a ticket a number/color is printed on the back. When they do the race on the scoreboard, if the number/color on the back of your ticket wins you receive 25% off in the team shop during the game. A great idea to sell merch and make people pay attention.

texasdave
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
He said Fenway, not Wrigley.

But the original post was about GABP, not Fenway. Maybe in a town like Boston where the management puts a team on the field that is, at the very least, playoff contenders on a yearly basis you can get away with no between-innings shenanigans (Sweet Caroline notwithstanding). But in a town like Cincinnati, which is consistently putting a crappy product on the field, management had better do something to keep the "casual fans" coming back to the ballpark. It is called survival. Because if the Reds are counting on only the support of the "diehard baseball fan" in this decade of futility and going forward to make ends meet, this team is relocating in short order.

I've been to quite a few parks and I typically don't enjoy the between inning antics. But I am a fan of the game and the MLB teams are not trying to sell me, I've been sold.

This is dead on. But somehow people that go on message boards etc. think they are the majority. They aren't. And MLB teams have figured that out. They need to sell the game to the casual fan in order to pay the bills. Like it or not that is the case in many of the cities today. There are a handful of exceptions, such as Boston and Fenway. But those are the exceptions and not the rule.

Think about it. Why would teams put on all that stuff between innings if it was pissing off their fan base? Answer. Because it is not. It is necessary.

improbus
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I hate being the "it was better in the old days" guy. I hate it more than just about anything, but I feel like this is one place where I need to be Archie Bunker. By having between innings "entertainment", you allow fans to lose their focus on the game. Baseball has a certain rhythm. Watch an inning, cheer, and then between innings you recover and recap what happened with the people around you. Rinse and repeat. It builds tension, it builds anticipation. You kill all of that by having the kiss cam, etc... Baseball becomes a part of some kind of bizarre carnival of food, beer, and tv watching. yuck.

This between innings stuff is reason number 173 why baseball's promotion of a "family night out" has lessened the game.

BigJohn
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I mean they got that big TV, why not show replays of the previous half inning! That is what I do during the commercials at home. I use my DVR to replay the important plays from the previous half inning.

improbus
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I mean they got that big TV, why not show replays of the previous half inning! That is what I do during the commercials at home. I use my DVR to replay the important plays from the previous half inning.

That is fine. It is a part of the game. It is a valuable use of the screen. The Skyline Hat game or digital Mr. Red race is not. It has nothing to do with baseball. I would love to see Skyline ask a random fan in any section what happened in Paul Janish's 3rd inning at bat. If they get it right, then their section wins a prize. Reward fans for watching the game.

sivman17
07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
it's the same reason they have a kids zone at GABP. now they have PS3s with MLB The Show on them. GABP wants to be so "family friendly" and all that crap so they feel like they need to entertain the kids

texasdave
07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
There are limited family entertainment dollars to be spent these days. GABP is competing with many other businesses for those limited dollars. If I go to game by myself they sell tickets and concessions to one person. If I go to the game with my wife and two daughters then they sell tickets and concessions to four people. And if my wife and daughters don't have fun we probably don't come back as a family. If they do enjoy themselves because of all the so-called "extracurricular crap" we probably do come back. I don't go to four times as many games if the family isn't along. More than likely I attend the same number of games, but spend thre rest of those budgeted family entertainment dollars somewhere else. You do the math.
If GABP caters to the minority baseball-only-and-nothing-else core it loses out on revenue. And if GABP loses out on revenue, then the MBOANE core loses out as well. It really is that simple.

BigJohn
07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
That is why the beers are $7.50, not to make money! Just so the average guy won't go to the game and drink a beer. I have never paid the 7 bucks for a beer and never will. I would go to a lot more games if the beers were $3 a pop and dogs $2! That is part of baseball, not T shirt launchers and Animated Goofballs!

GIDP
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
they charge $7.50 because they make money. Im sure the Reds and the vendors are in the business to sell things to not make money.

BigJohn
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
You don't think they would sell 10 times as much beer at 3-4 dollars a pop? I say there would be a lot mot folks going a lot more often if the beer and food wasn't ridiculously overpriced!

Caveat Emperor
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
You don't think they would sell 10 times as much beer at 3-4 dollars a pop? I say there would be a lot mot folks going a lot more often if the beer and food wasn't ridiculously overpriced!

Really, would you want to go to a baseball game where people are drinking 10 times as many beers as they are?

Drunk fans are already annoying enough at $8 per beer, I can't imagine how awful it would be at $3 or $4.

GIDP
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Do you think a business is in the business of trying to not make as much money as possible?

Fon Duc Tow
07-09-2009, 06:09 PM

I'll bet if the Reds had 10 cent beer night, it would be the best idea in the world!

:beerme:

http://justanotherboozeblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/this-day-in-booze-10-cent-beer-night.html

:D

scounts22
07-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I, for one, happen to enjoy the between innings activites. Do I go to the games specifically for that? No. I love baseball, everything about it. I go to the games to enjoy myself. In addition to watching the game, I enjoy watching members of the grounds crew stupidly dancing around during the YMCA. It makes me laugh. I enjoy watching idiots on the scoreboard trying to show off their muscles. I enjoy the awkward moment with the old couple on the kiss cam.

With that said, I went to see the Reds play in Cleveland and it was probably the most boring baseball experience I've ever had. Cleveland has absolutely nothing to cheer about, there was no debating or light-hearted bantering with their fans. It was completely quiet. There were several Reds fans there, and the Reds provided plenty of offense for us to cheer about. There were a few things that went on between the innings, but they completely lacked enthusiasm and the place was just dead.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't enjoy it, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to ignore. And, even though I pay attention to these other aspects, I'm pretty confident I could tell you what Paul Janish did in his 3rd at bat. To me, these other things only add to my baseball experience, not detract.