PDA

View Full Version : 5th place?

Jefferson24
07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
One loss away from 5th place in the Central. It's time to sell.

mroby85
07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
5th place isn't what's important. 3.5 games is what counts... Quitter! I hope they don't give up as easy as you do. lol

Captain Hook
07-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I would be following this team just as close if they were 10 games out and in last place right now and to be honest they look like a team that is 10 games out.IMO they are very lucky to still be in.This team just doesn't have the fire power on offense and consistency with the pitching but they continue to hang in there somehow.

If this team continues playing the way they are it won't be long until we are 10 games out.If I had a little more faith in the coaching staff and front office I would really believe that some things could change.Making a few trades and giving some guys already on the team more of a chance to play could make a big difference but I don't see either thing happening.

Considering that is likely the case, if everything works out perfectly then we still might have a chance.I really hope EE gets hot,Bruce comes out of his slump,Dickerson replaces Taveras permanently,a Nix/Gomes platoon is the answer in LF,Gonzo comes back and catches fire, Volquez returns to his self of 08,guys doing well keep it up and everyone stays healthy.If all those things happen then we can do it.:rolleyes:

Jefferson24
07-09-2009, 07:12 AM
5th place isn't what's important. 3.5 games is what counts... Quitter! I hope they don't give up as easy as you do. lol

5th place is important. 3.5 out in second place is much different that 3.5 out in 5th. This is even more true later in the season.

Only being 3.5 out is what makes this situation all that much worse. The Reds are in a weak division but unfortunately they have only proved themselves to be a 4th place team in that weak division. I just don't see the make of of this team as one that will take control of a good opportunity and put together a string of wins and then play well enough to hold that position.

So the Reds can sit tight and just hope things improve when and if players start playing better or they can make some moves that can improve this team either now or down the road. I would at least like them to make some moves, either try to get better now or set yourself up better for the next few years. Just sitting around waiting for the current players to just play better wont be enough.

bounty37h
07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
If we sell off at this point in the season I am going to sell off my reds too and just follow minor league baseball with no fav team. I am tired of "next season" every damn year, they are still very much in it, show you give a damn and bust it out! I cant imagine how season ticket holders have to feel knowing they are constantly putting money into this years team when the Reds are always only looking at next years reds.

mroby85
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
If we sell off at this point in the season I am going to sell off my reds too and just follow minor league baseball with no fav team. I am tired of "next season" every damn year, they are still very much in it, show you give a damn and bust it out! I cant imagine how season ticket holders have to feel knowing they are constantly putting money into this years team when the Reds are always only looking at next years reds.

Couldn't really agree with this any more other than giving up the Reds. Wish I could sometimes though.

REDblooded
07-09-2009, 02:58 PM
joke thread

bgwilly31
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
5th place is important. 3.5 out in second place is much different that 3.5 out in 5th. This is even more true later in the season.

Only being 3.5 out is what makes this situation all that much worse. The Reds are in a weak division but unfortunately they have only proved themselves to be a 4th place team in that weak division. .

haha boy are you just wrong.

Hav eyou even looked at other divisions. The NL central is a very competitive division. Not weak at all. They are'nt the best division by any means. But VERY VERY competitive for sure. Actually the most competitive.

I think you need to take a look at other divisons where they have two teams 10+ games under .500

bounty37h
07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Couldn't really agree with this any more other than giving up the Reds. Wish I could sometimes though.

Haha, yeha, little tongue in cheek threat, but if I have followed em this many crappy years, doubt I will drop em after one more crappy one. But i do promise, if they give up right now and sell off, yeah, I am gone from following them the rest of the year, I have to much to dop to care for a team if they dont even care themselves. I wont be "that guy" and just up and pick up a new team or anything, but will spend my time and energy watching my local minor league teams and little league in the neighborhood instead.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
The question is, what exactly are we supposed to be SELLING?]

Here's our top salaries:

- We're paying a closer $12 mil with a no trade clause
- Arroyo is getting paid over $10 mil, yet is not 100% and getting rocked on the mound most of the time, so his trade value is pretty low at this point
- Most of Hernandez's salary is paid by the O's, so he's not getting $8 mil from us, and Alex Gonzalez getting paid over $5 mil has no trade value either.

Of course Harang is making $14 mil a year, if we want to sell with him we could maybe get decent prospects, but who wants to take on that kind of salary?

There's not a ton of selling options, thanks to Arroyo being worthless at this point.

Jefferson24
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
The Reds hold 5th place all on their own now.

The Cardinals are in 1st with a record of 47 and 40, 7 games over .500

Lets assume the Cardinals play worse in the second half of the season and only play .500 ball. They finish at 84 and 78.

That would leave the Reds needing to win 43 more games while only losing 35 the rest of the way. So the Reds would need to play 8 games over .500 the remainder of the season.

Lets not worry about the 3 other teams right now between the Reds and the Cards.

I think 2 things are very unlikely. The first is the Cardinals only playing .500 ball the rest of the way. The second the Reds playing .550 ball the rest of the way.

Many are arguing that this season isn't over yet, the Reds are still in it. I would argue that this Reds team is not still in the race. If they made a few trades, maybe but even then it seems unlikely that they would improve enough to make a difference as far as winning the division goes.

That brings me to the conclusion that it would be a good time for some major trading action now. Unfortunately it's been clear that the Reds are not willing to add substantial payroll. So they are going to probably rearrange a few deck chairs on the Redtanic and be content to ride the season out and hope something better happens next year. But it won't, because they aren't willing to spend the money to make the necessary changes in personnel. It's too bad that in order to give yourself a chance to compete you have to outspend 80% of the league.

Captain Hook
07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
The Reds hold 5th place all on their own now.

The Cardinals are in 1st with a record of 47 and 40, 7 games over .500

Lets assume the Cardinals play worse in the second half of the season and only play .500 ball. They finish at 84 and 78.

That would leave the Reds needing to win 43 more games while only losing 35 the rest of the way. So the Reds would need to play 8 games over .500 the remainder of the season.

Lets not worry about the 3 other teams right now between the Reds and the Cards.

I think 2 things are very unlikely. The first is the Cardinals only playing .500 ball the rest of the way. The second the Reds playing .550 ball the rest of the way.

Many are arguing that this season isn't over yet, the Reds are still in it. I would argue that this Reds team is not still in the race. If they made a few trades, maybe but even then it seems unlikely that they would improve enough to make a difference as far as winning the division goes.

That brings me to the conclusion that it would be a good time for some major trading action now. Unfortunately it's been clear that the Reds are not willing to add substantial payroll. So they are going to probably rearrange a few deck chairs on the Redtanic and be content to ride the season out and hope something better happens next year. But it won't, because they aren't willing to spend the money to make the necessary changes in personnel. It's too bad that in order to give yourself a chance to compete you have to outspend 80% of the league.

I've always looked at mlb as a unfair pick up game.The teams who spend the most money get to have multiple first round picks all the down to the teams that spend the least money to not even getting a pick until the third or fourth round.:thumbdown