PDA

View Full Version : Trade Candidates: Outfielders per mlb traderumors

redsfan4445
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
per mlbtraderumours:

"Trade Candidates: Outfielders
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 9 at 1:28pm CST]
This year’s outfielders have a lot to live up to on July 31st. It was just a year ago that the Red Sox parted with Manny Ramirez and acquired Jason Bay. This time, Matt Holliday’s the big name, but there are also a few cheap, powerful players out there for teams looking to add an outfielder. Here’s your list of trade candidates, ranked from highest 2009 salary to lowest:

Matt Holliday - At $13.5MM, Holliday's pricey, but he's a good defender with a history of batting excellence. With just seven extra base hits in the last month, Holliday's no longer perceived as a sure thing.
Jermaine Dye - He makes $11.5MM this year and there's a mutual option with a $1MM buyout for 2010 on his deal. The White Sox want to win now though, so Dye doesn't appear to be on the block.
Gary Matthews Jr. - The Angels would presumably pick up salary in any deal involving Matthews, as he makes $10MM this year and $23MM over the course of the next two years.
Juan Pierre - Another overpaid outfielder in LA, Pierre makes $10MM this year and $18.5MM over the course of the next two. At least he's hitting well, with an OBP approaching .400 and a career-high slugging percentage.
Alex Rios - He makes $5.9MM this year and has $60MM more coming his way between now and 2014. His teammate, Vernon Wells likely could not be traded.
David Dejesus - Under contract for $3.6MM this year, he can play all three outfield positions, but his .714 OPS is ordinary.
Mark Teahen - Makes $3.6MM as well and can play the outfield, though he's been manning third for the Royals. He has a .344 OBP and 27 extra base hits.
Jeff Francoeur - He's struggled since last year and makes $3.4MM this season, so the suitors are not lining up for Francoeur.
Josh Willingham - He has 10 homers for a .534 slugging percentage and he'll earn $3MM in 2009. Mike Rizzo says Adam Dunn's staying in Washington.
Luke Scott - He makes just $2.4MM this year and won't be a free agent until after 2012, so the Orioles have a cheap, powerful asset on their hands. They have three talented outfielders already in Nolan Reimold, Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, so they could conceivably part with Scott.
Jeremy Hermida - With good patience, some power and a $2.25MM contract, Hermida could appeal to teams in need of a bat.
Cody Ross - Like Scott, Ross is cheap and powerful. He's slugging .505 and makes just $2.2MM this year. He's scheduled to hit free agency after 2011.
Scott Hairston - He was just traded, but he plays solid defense and has extra base power, so Hairston, who makes $1.25MM this year, could appeal to other teams.
Ryan Spilborghs - Apparently the Rockies would prefer to hold onto Spilborghs, who's under team control for three more years and makes just $415k this season.

The Tigers, Braves, Mets, Giants and Reds could all look for outfield bats."

Hmm if the Reds cant get Holiday, think a return of Cody Ross could help???

kheidg-
07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd take a flier on Hermida

jojo
07-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd kick the tires on Luke Scott. He's a solid corner defender whose bat is good enough to play there as well.

traderumor
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd kick the tires on Luke Scott. He's a solid corner defender whose bat is good enough to play there as well.But he bats LH. We need a RH hitting LFer ;)

jojo
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
But he bats LH. We need a RH hitting LFer ;)

Next year might be a different story though and he would help this year to boot.

flyer85
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
go get that Holliday feller ... he's da bomb.

HeatherC1212
07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Luke Scott has been tearing it up for the Orioles this year and IIRC, he's been hitting both lefties and righties pretty well. I'd love to see him with the Reds and since he was originally from Houston before the O's got him, he knows the NL Central which could be a good benefit too.

15fan
07-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Jeff Francouer is officially a right-handed Kevin Maas.

Reds1
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I always thought we made a bad move getting rid of Cody Ross - especially for a bag o balls

RedEye
07-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Isn't Mark Teahen kind of like a younger edition of Mark DeRosa? I think he can play 1B, 2B, 3B and the corner OF spots. Might be worth a look--especially if Edwin continues to struggle / gets traded.

Other names on the list I'd consider: Scott, Hermida, Willingham.

Highlifeman21
07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Let's go pick up JHJ's brother.

He's GOTTA be the answer.

Benihana
07-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Isn't Mark Teahen kind of like a younger edition of Mark DeRosa? I think he can play 1B, 2B, 3B and the corner OF spots. Might be worth a look--especially if Edwin continues to struggle / gets traded.

Other names on the list I'd consider: Scott, Hermida, Willingham.

I'm not sure if he can play 2B, but that doesn't really matter for the Reds.

He may be worth a shot, depending on what KC would want. I wonder if Maloney and Valaika would do it? They'd probably ask for Wood.

HokieRed
07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I think it's time to change the conversation to focus on whom we might be able to persuade somebody else to take off our hands.

alloverjr
07-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I think it's time to change the conversation to focus on whom we might be able to persuade somebody else to take off our hands.

With the exception of Bruce, who would take ANY of our outfielders? Maybe Gomes for no return. Dickerson may have some value. But I do agree the talk of adding should be turned to selling - just not an outfielder.

RedEye
07-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure if he can play 2B, but that doesn't really matter for the Reds.

He may be worth a shot, depending on what KC would want. I wonder if Maloney and Valaika would do it? They'd probably ask for Wood.

Because I'm a fantasy baseball nerd, I happen to know that KC was planning on him playing 2B before Gordon got injured. I'm not sure if he would play a good 2B though. But, yes, for the Reds that's beside the point.

savafan
07-09-2009, 11:43 PM

I'd move Harang, Cordero and Hernandez (and I love all three guys) and try to acquire some near ready stud prospects.

HokieRed
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I'd move Harang, Cordero and Hernandez (and I love all three guys) and try to acquire some near ready stud prospects.

I like your list. I'd add these names, though none will be as attractive to other clubs as those you mention: Arroyo, Encarnacion, Dickerson, Weathers, Burton, Rhodes. Now's the time for Walt to make the call, turn seller, and move fast.

savafan
07-10-2009, 01:17 AM
This team really needs to follow the Cleveland model of the 90's or the recent Oakland model. Do you want to just win this year, or set your self up for sustained success? Hernandez isn't the long term answer at catcher, Hanigan may be. Closers are overrated. A team in a mid-sized market like Cincinnati can get saves with a much cheaper option than Cordero, and they should. Harang would be a great option for whoever misses out on Hallyday. These are the three guys that contending teams may be willing to overpay for.