PDA

View Full Version : Low cost options at SS!

schroomytunes
07-09-2009, 06:08 PM
These guys may not be studs, but they are solid MLB players who could help us down the stretch at a position of need for us. These guys wont demand high prospects from their respected teams, so what doe you think?

1)Marco Scutero-SS RH bat 33yrs old FA after 2009.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
86 346 62 98 25 1 6 37 56 41 7 4 .283 .382 .413 .795

2)Willie Bloomquist-SS/Utility RH bat 31yrs old FA??

67 209 26 58 3 6 2 18 17 35 15 2 .278 .329 .378 .707

3)Ramon Santiago-SS SwitchHitter 29yrs old FA??

45 130 18 35 4 1 6 25 7 34 0 2 .269 .302 .454 .756

All these guys are Right handed play SS and would allow Hairston to be used less in a starting role and more in the utility role he is best suited. Then if/when Gonzo comes back he becomes a platoon guy/bench player.

savafan
07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Pass. I'm tired of the low cost options who come into Cincinnati, put up some decent numbers for part of a season then get rewarded with a ridiculous contract. Get a strong starting shortstop, serviceable vet, or develop your own, but don't settle on mediocrity.

SirFelixCat
07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Yunel Escobar would be great, imo.

Tom Servo
07-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I bet Juan Castro's available.

savafan
07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I'd put this guy high on my draft list next year:

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=941619

People I've talked to who've seen him play say that he's the real deal.

Topcat
07-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Would lovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee Scutaro that guy can play and contribute with bat and glove.

TheNext44
07-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Jojo on this;

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/royals-acquire-yuniesky-betancourt.html

Royals Acquire Yuniesky Betancourt
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 10, 2009 at 2:17pm CST]

The Royals acquired Yuniesky Betancourt and cash from the Mariners for a pair of minor league pitchers, according to Joe Hamrahi of Baseball Daily Digest. Betancourt makes at least $10MM before his current deal expires, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Mariners are contributing.

Here's some info on the pitchers, from Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune. Danny Cortes, 22, will report to AA. He's 6-2 with a 3.12 ERA in his last eleven games after a rough start to the year in the Royals organization. He was the Royals' minor league pitcher of the year last year and Baseball America labelled him the best minor league pitcher in the organization entering this year.

Derrick Saito, 21, has struck out more than a batter per inning in A ball. The 21-year-old lefty will begin his Mariners career in A ball.

Getting players with a heartbeat for Betancourt. let alone actual prospects might be the deal of the century.

Gives me hope that the Reds could get something for Taveras...

RedEye
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
No on Scutaro (smoke and mirrors). No on Bloomquist (only smoke). Don't really know Santiago...

I'd be okay with a Yunel Escobar and not angry with a Jack Wilson. I think I'd most prefer that the Reds bring up their own SS talent (Chris Valaika? Zach Cozart?)

jojo
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Jojo on this;

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/royals-acquire-yuniesky-betancourt.html

Getting players with a heartbeat for Betancourt. let alone actual prospects might be the deal of the century.

Gives me hope that the Reds could get something for Taveras...

As long as there is a Dayton Moore, there is hope.....

jojo
07-10-2009, 08:08 PM
BTW, both arms KC gave up will most likely be in the pen if they make the dance but in a bullpen role, both have some real upside.

blumj
07-12-2009, 09:27 AM
BTW, Julio Lugo is almost definitely going to be released in less than a week. I have no idea what the Royals imagine Betancourt does better, but good for the M's to get something for nothing.

buckeyenut
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Interesting note from Sporting News today. They rank Heisley and Escobar as two minor leaguers ready to make major league noise. With Hardy at SS for Brewers, can we take advantage of the logjam MIL has and either pick up Escobar or Hardy as our SS of the future?

jojo
07-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Interesting note from Sporting News today. They rank Heisley and Escobar as two minor leaguers ready to make major league noise. With Hardy at SS for Brewers, can we take advantage of the logjam MIL has and either pick up Escobar or Hardy as our SS of the future?

I think Hardy is the one they'd entertain trading and the price would be driven higher because of the Ms.

savafan
07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Apparently the Red Sox are willing to pay most if not all of Julio Lugo's salary if a team will agree to take him in a trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9815896/Source:-BoSox-willing-to-pay-salary-if-Lugo-is-dealt

The Red Sox, facing a roster bind as they prepare for the returns of shortstop Jed Lowrie and third baseman Mike Lowell, have informed teams that they are willing to assume virtually all of shortstop Julio Lugo's remaining salary in a trade, according to a major-league source.

While another source told FOXSports.com earlier Thursday that the Sox were "desperately" trying to move Lugo, the second source offered a different view.

The Red Sox, he said, recognize that Lugo is a "sunk cost," and would accept a fringe prospect for him in return. In other words, they are willing to assume the same financial burden that they would if they released him.

A release could be the ultimate outcome. The Red Sox are likely to designate Lugo for assignment if they are unable to trade him once Lowrie returns.

The problem with Lugo's trade value — besides his erratic defense since returning from knee surgery — is his contract. Lugo, 33, is owed the remainder of his $9 million salary this season, plus $9 million next season. The Sox have been trying to move him since last off-season.

Manager Terry Francona told WEEI Radio in Boston that Lowell is expected back from his hip strain on Friday and Saturday, while Lowrie is set to return from wrist surgery on Saturday. The Red Sox also need to clear a roster spot for right-hander Clay Buchholz, who is scheduled to make his first start of 2009 on Friday night.

The Sox can demote first baseman Aaron Bates to clear a spot for Buchholz, then demote Buchholz to clear a spot for Lowell or Lowrie. But under virtually every scenario, Lugo would be the odd man out.

Lugo is batting .284 with a .352 on-base percentage in 123 plate appearances, but the Sox are 11-16 when he starts at shortstop, compared to 42-15 with Nick Green. A number of clubs want to acquire a young shortstop. But few teams, if any, are looking for an expensive veteran.

edabbs44
07-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I'd be pro-Lugo at this point.

Hell, it might even get Dusty to give up on the Willy T leadoff experiment.

blumj
07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
I'd be pro-Lugo at this point.

Hell, it might even get Dusty to give up on the Willy T leadoff experiment.
The problem is, Lugo looks like he's playing SS in slow motion. This might sound stupid, but he surely is a better choice for a leadoff hitter than Willy, and I personally have always thought he'd make a much better OFer than IFer. I think there are teams that could come up with a use for him, if he's willing to try it. I'm not sure that he would be.

OnBaseMachine
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I hope the Reds stay away from Lugo. I'd rather have Janish over Lugo, at least Janish can play decent defense.

blumj
07-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I hope the Reds stay away from Lugo. I'd rather have Janish over Lugo, at least Janish can play decent defense.

The funny thing is, someone actually just called WEEI to worry about what they'll do if the Sox dump Lugo, and Lowell and Lowrie get hurt again, as if having Lugo was remotely useful while Lowell and Lowrie were hurt this time. There has to be a pretty good reason for a guy to lose a starting job to Nick Green.

Hoosier Red
07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Trade proposal that would never be even offered.

The Reds Trade Taveras to the Sox for Lugo.

This saves the Red Sox roughly $5 million that they would have to pay to completely dump Lugo. Even if they DFA Taveras, it's only $4.5 million for the remainder of his contract.

blumj
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Not even, the Red Sox would pay the whole difference in salaries. Any chance WT still has options, or not enough service time to refuse a minor league assignment if he clears waivers? Because the Sox could probably actually use a speed guy if they could stash him in the minors until September.

klw
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Not even, the Red Sox would pay the whole difference in salaries. Any chance WT still has options, or not enough service time to refuse a minor league assignment if he clears waivers? Because the Sox could probably actually use a speed guy if they could stash him in the minors until September.

Sounds like they will pick up all of salary if need be.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9819512/Source:-Red-Sox-to-designate-Lugo;-release-likely

traderumor
07-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Red Sox DFA Julio Lugo
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 17, 2009 at 11:23am CST]
The Red Sox designated Julio Lugo for assignment according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The move is not surprising, as Lugo did not travel to Toronto with the Red Sox, who need roster space for players returning from injury.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox consider Lugo a "sunk cost" and would expect very little in return for him in any trade. Lugo will likely be released if the Red Sox can't trade him.

The 33-year-old has a .352 OBP and fields well enough, so he figures to draw some interestHonestly, wouldn't you take that, for a song, over anything we are getting out of that position right now? I am no Lugo fan, but it sure would be more pleasing than what we're running out there now, and for the minimum.

TheNext44
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Red Sox DFA Julio Lugo
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 17, 2009 at 11:23am CST]
The Red Sox designated Julio Lugo for assignment according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The move is not surprising, as Lugo did not travel to Toronto with the Red Sox, who need roster space for players returning from injury.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox consider Lugo a "sunk cost" and would expect very little in return for him in any trade. Lugo will likely be released if the Red Sox can't trade him.

The 33-year-old has a .352 OBP and fields well enough, so he figures to draw some interest

Honestly, wouldn't you take that, for a song, over anything we are getting out of that position right now? I am no Lugo fan, but it sure would be more pleasing than what we're running out there now, and for the minimum.

I'm not really sure what he means by "fields well enough", since Lugo has a -43 UZR/150 this year. Lugo once could field well enough, but not at this age.

traderumor
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm not really sure what he means by "fields well enough", since Lugo has a -43 UZR/150 this year. Lugo once could field well enough, but not at this age.I would say that could be interpreted in the Reds context as "better than JHJ." :)

TheNext44
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I would say that could be interpreted in the Reds context as "better than JHJ." :)

Agree on that! :)

blumj
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm not really sure what he means by "fields well enough", since Lugo has a -43 UZR/150 this year. Lugo once could field well enough, but not at this age.

Who is Ben Nicholson-Smith, and what site is that quote from? Because I like to at least try to remember media guys who say things that stupid so I know not to pay attention to stuff they say in the future.

NM, I just saw it's mlb.traderumors.

HeatherC1212
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
I really hope the Reds steer clear of Lugo. :eek:

savafan
07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/discussion-suitors-for-lugo.html

By Mike Axisa [July 17, 2009 at 9:19pm CST]

Not long after he was designated for assignment this morning, we learned that the Cubs, Cardinals and Mets have expressed interest in former Red Sox shortstop Julio Lugo. Whether a club acquires Lugo through trade or by signing him after he's released, Boston will be on the hook for just about every cent left on his contract.

With teams always on the look for capable middle infielders, Lugo figures to draw a ton of interest in the coming days. Where do you think he ends up? The Mets were interested when Lugo was a free agent a few years back and the Cards could use a shortstop, but maybe a mystery team like the Twins swoops in. (Disclaimer: The Twins blurb is pure speculation on my part)

What do you guys think?

reds44
07-17-2009, 11:19 PM
He's better than Jerry Hairston Jr.

redsfandan
07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Odds & Ends: Lugo, Holliday, Red Sox, Draft
By Mike Axisa [July 18 at 10:41am CST]
Some spare links on a busy Saturday morning ...

•Adam Rubin of The NY Daily News says an AL official indicated that the recently DFA'd Julio Lugo has been working out at the Mets complex in the Dominican Republic, and expects the team to sign the shortstop once he clears waivers and is released.

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 02:12 AM
The way Walt and Dusty both keep saying that "hopefully Gonzo will be back in a few weeks", it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up AGons option for 2010. I hope they don't but it wouldn't surprise me.

redsfandan
07-19-2009, 02:57 AM
What if they DID bring him back?

The Reds have a $6 million option for 2010 with a $0.5 million buyout. Walt tells AGon that there's NOWAY they can pick up the option BUT, if he's open to it, they may be willing to give him a one year deal for the minimum with incentives. (pending a very thorough physical)

It's not like another team will give him more. Worst case scenario the Reds eat a little more than half a million if his luck with injuries continue. Even the Reds wouldn't have a problem with that. IF he can stay healthy then we have a very cheap stop-gap until Cozart is ready. AND we could devote more money towards other needs like a good leftfielder.

Would you consider it?

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm ready to move on from the Alex Gonzales era. I hope the Reds are ready to move on too. ;)

Chip R
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
What if they DID bring him back?

The Reds have a $6 million option for 2010 with a $0.5 million buyout. Walt tells AGon that there's NOWAY they can pick up the option BUT, if he's open to it, they may be willing to give him a one year deal for the minimum with incentives. (pending a very thorough physical)

It's not like another team will give him more. Worst case scenario the Reds eat a little more than half a million if his luck with injuries continue. Even the Reds wouldn't have a problem with that. IF he can stay healthy then we have a very cheap stop-gap until Cozart is ready. AND we could devote more money towards other needs like a good leftfielder.

Would you consider it?

I've said all year that even if they don't pick up the option, they will probably bring him back. I don't think he would come back for the minimum. He wouldn't take it and the Reds wouldn't offer it. They would offer him somewhere along the lines of $2M-$4M a year. I actually believe there are other teams who would offer him way more than the minimum.

Personally, I'd move on. But Dusty and Walt run this team and there isn't another in-house option to replace Gonzo. All Gonzo is going to cost is money whereas if they picked up a guy like Escobar, it's going to cost them players.

Raisor
07-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm ready to move on from the Alex Gonzales era. I hope the Reds are ready to move on too. ;)

Maybe Don Gullett can fix him up?

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Maybe Don Gullett can fix him up?

Is Don Gullett down in Louisville? ;)

Today the Reds sent Gonzales to Louisville to rehab.