PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Martinez a Phillie? We'll know by this weekend

savafan
07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
No link, but I've been getting a flurry of text messages saying that Pedro is close to signing a contract with the Phillies for a prorated $4 million. I hear a decision will be announced this weekend.

klw
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/phillies_and_martinez_getting.html

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has said little about Pedro Martinez's private workout with Phillies top scout Charley Kerfeld on Tuesday in the Dominican Republic, other than it happened.

"We are trying to do what we can to add to our club, and if we feel at the end of the day Pedro is going to help us than we'll make a run at him," Amaro said Wednesday.

Asked earlier today if the Phillies remain interested in Martinez and if signing Martinez is a possibility, Amaro declined comment. But then came a report from the Dominican Republic that the Phillies have reached an agreement with Martinez for $4 million. Amaro again declined comment when asked about the report.

What do the no comments mean? It could mean nothing, although I believe it means the Phillies are interested in Martinez. To what degree? I'm not sure, although I must say, I'm very skeptical the Phillies would pay Martinez $4 million for the remainder of the season, unless that figure is including incentives he could reach if he pitches effectively.

Does this mean Martinez eventually signs with the Phillies? No, it doesn't. (I must say I've never heard of Candela Deportiva.) But often where there is smoke there is fire, and Amaro didn't squash the report.

WebScorpion
07-11-2009, 12:07 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/phillies_and_martinez_getting.html

Maybe it means they're waiting on MLB approval of the contract.

cincrazy
07-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't see how he can help them much, especially in that ballpark. The guy can't even hit 90 mph on the radar gun anymore. Now, if he were returning to the Mets, in that canyon of a ballpark, maybe it'd be a different story. But I think he's in for a world of hurt in Philly.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Apparently the Phils have seen him throw a couple times and he was able to reach the low 90's. If it's only $2 million that seems a reasonable gamble. My question is even if Pedro can do a decent job will he be able to pitch even 6 innings? On the right team it might not matter. Just pencil him into the #4 or #5 spot. But Joe Blanton leads that team in innings and not even he is projected to have 200 ip by the end of the season. I'd think you'd want at least 1 or 2 guys that can eat up some innings.

Ravenlord
07-11-2009, 03:56 PM
The guy can't even hit 90 mph on the radar gun anymore.
cause we all know that velocity is the only thing that makes a pitcher.

Pedro when warming up in 2005 or 06 did one of the most impressive things i've seen. throwing fastballs in order: 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91. that's some kind of crazy muscle control.

redsfandan
07-13-2009, 03:12 AM
Pedro Martinez To Take Physical For Phils?
By Tim Dierkes [July 13 at 1:35am CST]
WCAU-TV's John Clark is reporting that Pedro Martinez "may be touching down in Philadelphia Monday to meet with Phillies officials." Tentative phrasing, but enough to catch ESPN's eye. That Marc Stein ESPN article credits Jayson Stark with some info as well:

After arriving, it is believed Martinez will take a physical, which appears to be the final obstacle standing in the way of the 37-year-old right-hander signing with the Phillies for the remainder of the season.

I'm thinking Pedro will get a couple million bucks, and we'll all talk about the prorated amount to make him feel better. If a deal is reached, does Martinez have enough left in the tank to bring down the Phils' 5.04 rotation ERA? The team's high-octane lineup would be paired with a rotation of Cole Hamels, Joe Blanton, J.A. Happ, Jamie Moyer, and Martinez. I'm curious to see where Pedro would slot into the playoff rotation should the Phillies' four-game division lead hold up.

More food for thought: ESPN's Buster Olney said Thursday that a Pedro signing wouldn't affect a Roy Halladay pursuit. Would Moyer be the odd man out in the event of a deal, despite the money owed to him through 2010?