PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to manage the Reds

aubashbrother
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Say Dusty is out after this year who would you like to see the Reds Hire ?

Fon Duc Tow
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Well lets assume Dick Pole and Jacoby are fired too or else fire Dusty won't accomplish much.

I would do whatever it takes to make Mario Soto our next pitching coach. Then pick a hitting coach that actually knew how to hit at the major league level.

As far as manager? The Reds dependence on youth means they need a guy who handles the young guys well and almost treats it like a AAA ballclub. In other words, you play someone because they are the best at their position at that given moment, not just "because they are a vet" or get paid more. The Anti-Dusty in other words. (As Hannigan rots on the bench)

GIDP
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Larkin

Carin4Narron
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
LarkinPLEASE????????????????

mroby85
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I want Dusty to manage the Reds. There is no way he's out after this year, this team is exceeding expectations.

Carin4Narron
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I want Dusty to manage the Reds. There is no way he's out after this year, this team is exceeding expectations.

WHAT?

krm1580
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Wally Backman.

mroby85
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
WHAT?

When is the last time it was July 10th, and they were only 4 1/2 out? 2006 probably? This team was not expected to be this close in the race around the all star break. While I may not agree with every decisions Dusty makes, this team plays hard for him, and thats worth a lot more than it gets credit for around here. Dusty is not the problem, you should look to the management upstairs if you want someone to blame. This team hung around, and hung around despite being undermanned, and they did nothing to go get help for them.

mac624
07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
the Reds would give him that shot, but he's really done well with these kids when he's had them down there.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Tony LaRussa will be the manager, and Dave Duncan will be the pitching coach. Write it down.

Kingspoint
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Rick Sweet

TheAnswer
07-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Dusty!

FlyerFanatic
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Dusty!

willy? is that you? stop posting while you're playing

MJA
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
When is the last time it was July 10th, and they were only 4 1/2 out? 2006 probably? This team was not expected to be this close in the race around the all star break. While I may not agree with every decisions Dusty makes, this team plays hard for him, and thats worth a lot more than it gets credit for around here. Dusty is not the problem, you should look to the management upstairs if you want someone to blame. This team hung around, and hung around despite being undermanned, and they did nothing to go get help for them.

You have to look at the other teams though, The NL Central is very mediocre this year. All the teams are bunched around .500 which the exception of the first place Cardinals and the last place Pirates. I think the main problem is that the offense is just pitiful. They are ranked nearly last in every offensive category–except for steals–in the national league. Though the pitching is above average, that's not going to overcome a beyond mediocre offense.

I personally think you need to give Dusty better offensive weapons and see what he does with them before you can him. With so many teams being buyers this year, now would be a great time for the Reds to acquire some offensive players for next year.

Kingspoint
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Wally Backman.

You do remember how he left the game?

krm1580
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM
You do remember how he left the game?

Yeah as I recall he had some alcohol issues as well as some bankruptcy stuff so Arizona canned him rather than deal with his off the field issues.

The flip side is he wins everywhere he goes. He is managing in one of the independant leagues right now I think.

demas863
07-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Tony LaRussa will be the manager, and Dave Duncan will be the pitching coach. Write it down.
You are right on.

Slyder
07-11-2009, 03:11 AM
I really don't have a specific person in mind but I want someone whos philosophy isnt older than I am. Understands the value of getting on base, doesnt have to be a moneyballer to the nth degree.

Also has had success developing young players like Bruce and helping them find the kinks in swings and what not to reach full potential.

BigPoppa
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM

And you base this on what ?

OldRed1966
07-11-2009, 10:42 AM
And you base this on what ?

No inside sources or anything, just speculation on my part.

winks
07-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Pete Mckanin They played hard and had fun. I believe we had a winning record after he took over. Plus now we have more talent

kfm
07-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I want God to manage the Reds. He is the only entity that would not get destroyed on this board. While many might second guess him in their minds, no one would have the guts to post it on this board.

NorrisHopper30
07-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Dusty

gilpdawg
07-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Earl Weaver. I don't care if he's 90 or whatever. :)

redsfanmia
07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Is Vern Rapp still alive?

Carolina Red
07-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Dusty has done a very good job this year. He has taken a team with roughly a $75 million payroll who's lost a 16 game winning pitcher, their first baseman and best hitter, their third baseman, and their shortstop for a good part of the season and kept them in contention to this point. The players enjoy playing for him. I don't know what more you can ask of the man. Now Mr. Castellini needs to open the safe and spend some $ on a little help for the second half. I'll keep Dusty:thumbup:

Kendal22
07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Jim Leyland

Strider
07-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I really don't have a specific person in mind but I want someone whos philosophy isnt older than I am. Understands the value of getting on base, doesnt have to be a moneyballer to the nth degree.

Also has had success developing young players like Bruce and helping them find the kinks in swings and what not to reach full potential.

Maybe...How old are you?

Slyder
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Maybe...How old are you?

BigPoppa
07-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Is Sparky busy these days ?

flash
07-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Craig Biggio

CincinnatiRep
07-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Pete Mckanin They played hard and had fun. I believe we had a winning record after he took over. Plus now we have more talent

Word.

I was obviously not a member here back in 2007, but I was enraged when we canned that guy for Dusty (who IMO is the worst manager in MLB). I believe in 2007 we snuck within 6 games of the division lead in September after we were 20 games below .500 most of the season, to show how well the team played under MacKanin while not having much talent that year.

gilpdawg
07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
A manager is only as good as his players. Even though I think Dusty sucks, how many more wins would we have with a different manager? 2?

will5979
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
My wish list...

1. Pete Rose- I don't care if he is banned, this is MY wish list and he built the 90 club.

2. Davey Johnson-The Reds had a pretty good team under him.

3. Frank Robinson

adampad
07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd like to have Pete MacKanin back too! He had the team playing much better, and I loved how aggressive he was on the base paths. He had his guys playing 10x better small ball than Dusty has promised us.

I wonder if Trader Jack would come back for one more go around with the Reds. Yeah, he's like 132 years old but that man can manage some young players, which the Reds are full of.

Captain Hook
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Word.

I was obviously not a member here back in 2007, but I was enraged when we canned that guy for Dusty (who IMO is the worst manager in MLB). I believe in 2007 we snuck within 6 games of the division lead in September after we were 20 games below .500 most of the season, to show how well the team played under MacKanin while not having much talent that year.

It was kind of fun watching the last few months considering that was a train wreck of a season.I'd bet that they made up more then 5 games in the time MacKanin was in charge.Too bad we were probably 13 or more games out to start with.

DTCromer
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Ozzie Guillen

Kingspoint
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Rehashing the same old trash isn't going to get it done. That's the problem we have now. All of these names being brandied about who have failed and failed again, or who have no experience lately at some level is just repeating the failure we're having now.

Rick Sweet has paid his dues, and has done an exceptional job everywhere he's been. Players like him. Management likes him. He's got good in-game skills, but most importantly, he can handle both the veterans very well, and the young guys very well.

And, he's already in our organization. It just takes a promotion rather than manipulating some other organization to let us talk to their guy. It also doesn't diss Sweet by not offering him the job he so surely deserves. If the REDS don't have enough faith in him to manage the big-league club, they certainly showed it by hiring Baker. Sweet's not a lifer in the Minors. He'll manage and win at the big-league level.

Some G.M./Owner is going to step out of the "old-boys network", and look at this guy and give him a chance. I hope it's the REDS. I'd hate to lose him to someone else when we didn't even give him a chance while we had him in our organization.

flash
07-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Rehashing the same old trash isn't going to get it done. That's the problem we have now. All of these names being brandied about who have failed and failed again, or who have no experience lately at some level is just repeating the failure we're having now.

Rick Sweet has paid his dues, and has done an exceptional job everywhere he's been. Players like him. Management likes him. He's got good in-game skills, but most importantly, he can handle both the veterans very well, and the young guys very well.

And, he's already in our organization. It just takes a promotion rather than manipulating some other organization to let us talk to their guy. It also doesn't diss Sweet by not offering him the job he so surely deserves. If the REDS don't have enough faith in him to manage the big-league club, they certainly showed it by hiring Baker. Sweet's not a lifer in the Minors. He'll manage and win at the big-league level.

Some G.M./Owner is going to step out of the "old-boys network", and look at this guy and give him a chance. I hope it's the REDS. I'd hate to lose him to someone else when we didn't even give him a chance while we had him in our organization.

Have to agree with you here. I mention Biggio because I believe at some point he will manage. I liked the way he played the game. Although he isn't in Rose's class he was definitely cut from the same mold. he is coaching a high school team in Houston now. I think it is only a matter of time before he replaces Cooper.

But Sweet is good. So are Smokey Garrett and Ted Power. Promote them all.

BEETTLEBUG
07-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree flash promote them all.

kfm
07-14-2009, 12:00 AM

Everything you just said about Sweet applies to Pete Mckanin. He got hosed by this organization because they were scared to pick a different person the same way they had picked others who had failed. Pete Mckanin has as much to do with Dave Miley and Jerry Narron as Carson Palmer has to do with David Klingler and Akili Smith, nothing. They should have given him a chance, he was good with the young guys and had no fear of the veteran guys. He saw something in Jared Burton that Narron did not see and he played the hot hand with Hopper and Keppinger. They would be better off today if they had let him manage this team. That is one of the biggest mistakes WK ever made.

Jim
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

I'll take it! Add Pujols for good measure...

Kingspoint
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I like guys like Macinen, as you say, and Sweet. Biggio should get some experience, first, though. But, Biggio would be a far cry better than any of those rehashed names.

NeilHamburger
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't know about next year, but my gut tells me 5 years from now Larkin will be managing Cincy

Kingspoint
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't know about next year, but my gut tells me 5 years from now Larkin will be managing Cincy

Again, I hope they don't hire anyone without any "Managerial" experience at some level. Larkin should pay his dues in the Minors like everyone else, mainly because he needs the experience.

NeilHamburger
07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I could also see Eric Davis becoming a future manager of Cincy

Essentially, unless Dusty is gone after this year, I see the reds hiring a BIG name from reds past.

Newman4
07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
My wish list...

1. Pete Rose

I second the motion. Pete Rose is Cincinnati Reds baseball whether you like him off the field or not.

Maldez
07-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Tony LaRussa will be the manager.....

I'd sooner see Richard Ramirez manage the Reds than endure six months of stone-face every year. Has the man ever smiled?

FlyerFanatic
07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd sooner see Richard Ramirez manage the Reds than endure six months of stone-face every year. Has the man ever smiled?

who cares? he gets more with less. i'd love to see larussa with the reds

Maldez
07-17-2009, 10:55 PM
who cares? he gets more with less. i'd love to see larussa with the reds

Gets more for less? Look at the players he's given to work with. Ramirez could do as well.

GBC Red
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
IMO LaRussa is a pipe dream. Rick Sweet would be good, I still think Pete McKanin was the best man for this job.

I hated the Dusty hire at first, but he's grown on me. I stil don't think he's great, but he's not terrible. I hate that Dusty was hired because the organization felt we needed a big name.

BlastFurnace
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
The problem is, no matter who you bring in here, is that the Reds roster stinks. No one will come in here and win until the roster is upgraded and chemistry is created among them.