PDA

View Full Version : Cordero for Cody Ross?

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I say go for it. That would free up millions of dollars for the Reds, give them a right handed hitting outfielder with some pop, and the Reds could make Masset the closer.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/baseball/story/1135321.html

TC81190
07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Absolutely not. Ross isn't a good hitter and Cordero is a valuable, if pricey, piece of this team.

FlyerFanatic
07-10-2009, 06:01 PM
i dont get this whole deal of getting rid of cordero. i understand that he doesnt see the field much, and baker uses him awkwardly..ie bringing him in in non save situations and such. but if we wanna free up money, get rid of arroyo before cordero. and cody ross really?

TheBigLebowski
07-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Cody Ross for Cordero? The same Cody Ross we essentially gave the Marlins for a warm cup of Cuban Coffee? Huh?

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:12 PM
i dont get this whole deal of getting rid of cordero. i understand that he doesnt see the field much, and baker uses him awkwardly..ie bringing him in in non save situations and such. but if we wanna free up money, get rid of arroyo before cordero. and cody ross really?

Do you really think Arroyo has the same trade value as Cordero? Really? It would free up 24 million dollars over the next couple of years. It could possibly give the Reds the money to take a shot at Holliday, or another bat that they desperately need.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Cody Ross for Cordero? The same Cody Ross we essentially gave the Marlins for a warm cup of Cuban Coffee? Huh?

Yep, and that was one of the dumbest moves that Krivsky made as Reds GM. I know the Reds would like to move Cordero's contract if they could.

FlyerFanatic
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Do you really think Arroyo has the same trade value as Cordero? Really? It would free up 24 million dollars over the next couple of years. It could possibly give the Reds the money to take a shot at Holliday, or another bat that they desperately need.

do you really believe david weathers could be our full time closer once cordero is gone? seriously, we messed with losing out on games in the past because we never had a guy that could come in and shut down the other team. now you wanna trade the most solid closer we've had in some years?

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Absolutely not. Ross isn't a good hitter and Cordero is a valuable, if pricey, piece of this team.

Hitting .281 with 14 bombs and around 50 RBI's. That would make him the Reds 2nd best hitter.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:16 PM
do you really believe david weathers could be our full time closer once cordero is gone? seriously, we messed with losing out on games in the past because we never had a guy that could come in and shut down the other team. now you wanna trade the most solid closer we've had in some years?

Only an idiot would make Weathers the closer. I know Dusty comes close to fitting the bill, but Masset would become the closer IMO.

TC81190
07-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Hitting .281 with 14 bombs and around 50 RBI's. That would make him the Reds 2nd best hitter.
And the guy doesn't know how to get on base. He wouldn't be an upgrade over Nix/Gomes at all.

Pass.

FlyerFanatic
07-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Only an idiot would make Weathers the closer. I know Dusty comes close to fitting the bill, but Masset would become the closer IMO.

you underestimate dusty's love for veterans, dude.

GIDP
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Masset doesnt have the service time to have pressure put on him.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM

I hope you're kidding.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
you underestimate dusty's love for veterans, dude.

No I don't, and that's why I don't see him being the manager. I honeslty believe we'll see LaRussa and Duncan in the Reds dugout next year.

FlyerFanatic
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
No I don't, and that's why I don't see him being the manager. I honeslty believe we'll see LaRussa and Duncan in the Reds dugout next year.

i'd love to see larussa and duncan here next year. i was just pointing out i see weathers becoming the closer if cordero were to be shipped off. the whole purpose of moving cordero is to free the money up, might as well just move arroyo if you wanna free up money.

GIDP
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I hope you're kidding.

Sorry I was just giving you the Bakermetrics on the situation.

OldRed1966
07-10-2009, 06:25 PM
i'd love to see larussa and duncan here next year. i was just pointing out i see weathers becoming the closer if cordero were to be shipped off. the whole purpose of moving cordero is to free the money up, might as well just move arroyo if you wanna free up money.

The Reds would love to move Arroyo. You have to have somebody willing to take his huge contract though. I don't see that happening. Cordero on the other hand, has trade value, despite being over paid.

Captain Hook
07-11-2009, 03:24 AM

I hope you're kidding.

GIDP might be kidding but that is exactly what Dusty would say.

Redeye fly
07-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Even if you want to move Cordero and his contract, which I'm not super keen on doing just yet, I'd certainly want more than Cody Ross.

Cordero has been one of the best closers in the game this year. Yes, he's highly paid, and yes relievers are pretty volatile, but Cordero is a very good one.

Cody Ross is nothing more than a spare outfielder on a team that is already full of them.

jimbo
07-11-2009, 08:36 AM

What makes anyone think that Masset can automatically come in and be just as successful as closer as he is a short middle man? This whole notion that any reliever can transfer their success to closer is flawed. I'm not saying that Masset couldn't be a good closer, but it's a big question mark. With Cordero you know what you have, which is why he is expensive.

Also, Ross for Cordero? Even if I wanted to trade him, that's a big pass, IMO.

Plus Plus
07-11-2009, 10:47 AM

The problem with this logic is that it assumes that the whole FA process occurs in a vacuum, where once a player is offered the "magic number" they will sign. If the Reds offer Holliday 4yrs/$60mm, the Yankees will offer 5yrs/$100mm. We saw the exact same thing with Texiera last year. Maybe if the Reds got rid of everyone on the team making more than $5mm they could play that game of chicken, but it frankly isn't worth planning moves with that in mind.

Redeye fly
07-11-2009, 12:18 PM
The problem with this logic is that it assumes that the whole FA process occurs in a vacuum, where once a player is offered the "magic number" they will sign. If the Reds offer Holliday 4yrs/$60mm, the Yankees will offer 5yrs/$100mm. We saw the exact same thing with Texiera last year. Maybe if the Reds got rid of everyone on the team making more than $5mm they could play that game of chicken, but it frankly isn't worth planning moves with that in mind.

It's not so much that the idea is totally bad, considering the Reds market and finances. It's just that while I would prefer to hold on to Cordero for now, I would also want something more than Cody Ross. Even if it's Ross and prospect(s) you indeed can't assume just because you have money to spend that ownership is going to:
1. spend it
2. obtain the player(s) you want them to with it.

Many people spoke last year of how with Dunn and Griffey off the payroll we could spend some money in free agency.

I guess our "big signings" were Arthur Rhodes and Willy Taveras. Yeah, the economic recession hit and influenced the Reds too, and no one was counting on that.

Still, money to spend doesn't mean it will be spent. Or even if it they try to get somebody, it doesn't mean the Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets won't outbid you.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I think that the closer position is extremely overrated in baseball, and I have no problem trading Cordero if its possible, but its not like I would do it for nothing.

He's been a very good closer, but you have to consider what he's being paid and what we're getting out of that money. To me, a big time closer is the ultimate luxury. Something teams that have everything else in order with big wallets go after. We're not one of them.

It's like if you have a few grand to blow, and your house has an old leaky roof, mold problems, no hot water, and electricity isn't going to part of the house. Then you go spend the money on an top of the line home theater system with HDTV. Makes little sense doesn't it?

Well, thats what the Reds are right now. We've got a gaping hole in the offense that we needs to be filled, and we're spending $12 mil for a guy to pitch an inning only when we're up. It's not like the closer position couldn't be filled with less big name pitchers. Weathers performed admirably, and so did Todd Jones a few years ago. I'm sure a Masset or whoever could do the same.

Then again, we seem to have 6 starters when we're at full strength as well, who's to say we couldn't covert one of them in the meanwhile, to get them on the field? I know most would balk at the fact at coverting Bailey to a closer to get him on the field, but if so, that just proves my point that people don't consider it an important position to use a possible starter on. If its not important enough to do that, why is it important to burn $12 mil plus a year on?

markymark69
07-13-2009, 09:28 AM

If we trade Cordero, I could almost guarentee that Weathers would get the first opportunity to be the closer on this team. Besides, to just say that Masset (Original post) can do it is pure speculation. Remember Todd Coffey, that's what everyone said about him. The Reds put in that role and the next thing you know --- Reds fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Also, we better get more than Cody Ross for an All-Star closer!!!!

Captain Hook
07-13-2009, 12:55 PM
If we trade Cordero, I could almost guarentee that Weathers would get the first opportunity to be the closer on this team. Besides, to just say that Masset (Original post) can do it is pure speculation. Remember Todd Coffey, that's what everyone said about him. The Reds put in that role and the next thing you know --- Reds fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Also, we better get more than Cody Ross for an All-Star closer!!!!

The real key would be getting someone to take that contract.If the team is willing to spend all of that money they're saving during the off season I wouldn't have a big problem with a move like this.