PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Church traded to Braves for Francouer

nate
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
To Atlanta (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/mets-trade-ryan-church.html) for Frenchy?

wally post
07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
yes. I just listened to the radio broadcast. Cash went across as well (from Atl. to NY)

Mainspark
07-10-2009, 07:14 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — The slumping New York Mets have traded outfielder Ryan Church to the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Jeff Francoeur.

The deal came Friday, with the injury-ravaged Mets trying to avoid falling farther back in the NL East race.

Church is hitting .280 with two home runs and 22 RBIs. Francoeur is hitting .250 with five homers and 35 RBIs.

nate
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
The comments at the link above are gold. They seem to alternate between "fire Wren," "fire Minaya," "parade for Wren" and "parade for Minaya."

Must be a good trade!

Brutus
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Francouer will get butchered in New York

RedEye
07-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Is it just me, or did the Mets lose this trade big time? IMO, Church is decent enough player--and Francoeur, well, he just isn't very good. Right?

dougdirt
07-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Is it just me, or did the Mets lose this trade big time? IMO, Church is decent enough player--and Francoeur, well, he just isn't very good. Right?

Church has an average that is 2 points worse than Francoeurs OBP.

Tom Servo
07-10-2009, 08:28 PM
That was my immediate reaction as well. Church is a solid all around player while Francoeur is brutal most of the time.

jojo
07-10-2009, 08:39 PM
This is a clear win for the Braves even if the money swap means their salaries are "even".

Church's true talent looks to be defined by a wOBA=.350 and a glove worth +8 (corner OF).

Francouer's true talent looks to be defined by a wOBA= .322 and a neutral glove (corner OF).

That translates to Church being worth about 12 runs or 1.2 wins more than Francouer over the remaining half season. Church can also play CF.

Both players have failrly large platoon splits but Church is a lefty so he'll get more opportunities to hit to his strength than the right-handed Francouer.

This isn't a blockbuster by any means but what an outstanding deal for the Braves. They've basically upgraded two OF positions to "above average" via trade this season.

Neither deal was a blockbuster but it's great GMing.

wally post
07-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I think there are behind the scenes things at play here. church apparently wansn't too happy with NYC and the Mets mgr. Perhaps some things will come out. It sounded like, during the announcement of the trade, Mets GM Omar Minaya was simply saying that it was a change of pace for both players - and at lesat it is some kindof change for a floundering ballclub (the Mets). Maybe batting coach HoJo can help Frenchie out...

wally post
07-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Also, Minaya said that the Mets needed a righty.

jojo
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Also, Minaya said that the Mets needed a righty.

But at what price? (rhetorical question)

Strikes Out Looking
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
We should be glad that Walt didn't go for either of these two.

Raisor
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Local radio was pretty mixed about the Braves moving JF.

My biggest concern is what Frank's Franks are going to do now?

Not as cool as McCann's cans.

GADawg
07-10-2009, 09:51 PM
odd that that trade went down between division rivals but whatever....I used to hear constantly down here how Frenchie was HOF bound...glad he's flamed out...at least here in Dixie.

TheNext44
07-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Manuel never liked Church, made some interesting comments about him to the media, and never really played him as often as he said he would.

This was a dump of a player that the manager didn't like for whatever reason. Mets fans can blame this one on Manuel.

KoryMac5
07-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Manuel never liked Church, made some interesting comments about him to the media, and never really played him as often as he said he would.

This was a dump of a player that the manager didn't like for whatever reason. Mets fans can blame this one on Manuel.

You could tell that those two couldn't stand each other one bit. When Church missed the base in LA Jerry never came out to argue and turned his back to the Church when he was walking back to the dugout.

As far as Frenchie goes Atlanta sure soured on him quick, he went from being a rising star to the Marlins turning him down for Cody Ross straight up.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 06:10 PM
A swap of two players that their respective teams soured on. Initially, I thought that this was a deal that didn't matter that much this year, especially since neither team probably won't make the playoffs, but could have the Mets winning long-term with the potential for an interesting outfield of Beltran/Francouer/Martinez IF Francouer turned things around. I mean Francouer is still only 25, while Church is 30, and Francouer still has some upside so a change of scenery could do the trick. Right?
Jojo's post, and a little fact checking, changed my mind.

In both of his two years where Francouer had 100 rbi his OPS was under .800.
Only in his rookie year of 2005 did he have an OPS over .800 (in 274 plate appearances).
Francouer has a career MLB OPS of .732, a career OPS+ of 89, and a career minors OPS of .813
His plate discipline has never been that good. (More than 3x as many k's as walks in career)

Francouer is under team control until 2012 ... and so is Church.
Church has a career MLB OPS of .790 with 3 seasons over .800, a career OPS+ of 108, and his career OPS in the minors is .877.
The career k/bb ratio for Church (2.38) which is below average (1.95) but is better than Francouer (3.75).

•David Lennon of Newsday says that Mets GM Omar Minaya wanted to send a message by acquiring Jeff Francoeur,
but it's "more like a gentle poke than a full-blown shake-up."
I guess that's why they just picked up Angel Berroa too. Maybe Francoeur will turn things around. If I was a Mets fan I'd sure hope he does.

Anyway, here's an article that I thought was an interesting take on the deal:
http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/07/10/the-francoeur-trade-a-sad-but-necessary-ending/