PDA

View Full Version : If you could add only one player for the rest of this year who would you add?

redsfandan
07-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Pick ONE player that could be available (sorry no Pujols).

I'd take Miguel Tejada for the rest of the year. SS is the biggest problem offensively. I think we'd see more scoring from a lineup like this:

CF Dickerson
C Hanigan
1st Votto
SS Tejada
2nd Phillips
RF Bruce
3B EE
LF Nix/Gomes

Patrick Bateman
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd take Miguel Tejada for the rest of the year. SS is the biggest problem offensively. I think we'd see more scoring from a lineup like this:

CF Dickerson
C Hanigan
1st Votto
SS Tejada
2nd Phillips
RF Bruce
3B EE
LF Nix/Gomes

You know the Astros are like ahead of us now?

On astrozone, there thinking about a way of grabbing EE and inserting him as their 3rd basemen.

Degenerate39
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Albert Pujols! then put Votto in left.

redsfandan
07-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Tejada is a FA after the season so IF they can't stay in the race...

CTA513
07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
If we could add any player that is available I would probably go with Roy Halladay.

I know the Reds need offense but I couldn't pass him up unless a big bat like Pujols was available and we know he won't be.

reds44
07-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Tejada is a FA after the season so IF they can't stay in the race...
Do you really think they are going to fall out of the race in 2 weeks?

redsfandan
07-10-2009, 11:20 PM
True they're not the Mets.

*BaseClogger*
07-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Prospects for David Weathers and Ramon Hernandez?

Ron Madden
07-11-2009, 05:13 AM
We need a good young Shortstop. Believe it or not there are some out there.

Our current Front Office and Scouting Staff has as much chance of finding one as a needle in a haystack.

Why do I say this?

The Cincinnati Reds Organization named Pitching and Defense the main priority going into the 2009 season. That's all well an good.

But...They went out and signed Mike Lincoln, David Weathers, Jerry Hairston JR. and Willie Freakin' Taveras to big bucks in the name of Pitching and Defense.

Call me crazy but I see something horribly wrong with this picture.

:(

Topcat
07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Realistic addition ? I think Roy Halliday for EE, Maloney Stubbs and Homer. Would be serious great addition. I preclude this by saying you deal Roy for needs at mlb level come the offseason

mth123
07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
I like Jhonny Peralta who would be more than a rental and would upgrade the biggest weakness on the roster. But I think more than 1 is needed.

Two deals:

1. Josh Roenicke, Ramon Ramirez, Chris Valaika and Willy T for Jhonny Peralta and Rafael Betancourt. Cleveland gets a power arm in the pen along with a swing man type and Valaika may go right into the line-up at 2B or 3B. Taveras evens the money a bit while giving the Indians a stop gap OF to allow Grady Sizemore to get his elbow surgery out of the way and reduces the risk for 2010. Peralta becomes the starting SS and Betancourt fits in the pen. Hairston platoons in CF wth Dickerson the rest of the year.

2. Matt Maloney, Drew Stubbs, Danny Dorn, Juan Francisco and Matt Klinker for Matt Holiday and Dana Eveland.

Line-up and depth (Still Plenty)

Dickerson/Hairston CF
Peralta SS
Votto 1B
Holiday LF
Phillips 2B
Bruce/Gomes RF
EdE 3B
Hernandez/Hanigan C

Janish IF
Nix OF
Sutton IF (AAA)
Cozart IF (AAA)
Richar IF (AAA)
Rosales IF (AAA)
Heisey OF (AAA)
Frazier OF (AAA)

Cueto
Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Owings
Bailey
Eveland (AAA)
Lecure (AAA)
Wood (AAA)
Lehr (AAA)

Cordero
Masset
Weathers
Rhodes
Betancourt
Herrera
Fisher
Manuel
Burton
Stewart (AAA)
Viola (AAA)

Will M
07-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I like Jhonny Peralta who would be more than a rental and would upgrade the biggest weakness on the roster. But I think more than 1 is needed.

Two deals:

1. Josh Roenicke, Ramon Ramirez, Chris Valaika and Willy T for Jhonny Peralta and Rafael Betancourt. Cleveland gets a power arm in the pen along with a swing man type and Valaika may go right into the line-up at 2B or 3B. Taveras evens the money a bit while giving the Indians a stop gap OF to allow Grady Sizemore to get his elbow surgery out of the way and reduces the risk for 2010. Peralta becomes the starting SS and Betancourt fits in the pen. Hairston platoons in CF wth Dickerson the rest of the year.

2. Matt Maloney, Drew Stubbs, Danny Dorn, Juan Francisco and Matt Klinker for Matt Holiday and Dana Eveland.

Line-up and depth (Still Plenty)

Dickerson/Hairston CF
Peralta SS
Votto 1B
Holiday LF
Phillips 2B
Bruce/Gomes RF
EdE 3B
Hernandez/Hanigan C

Janish IF
Nix OF
Sutton IF (AAA)
Cozart IF (AAA)
Richar IF (AAA)
Rosales IF (AAA)
Heisey OF (AAA)
Frazier OF (AAA)

Cueto
Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Owings
Bailey
Eveland (AAA)
Lecure (AAA)
Wood (AAA)
Lehr (AAA)

Cordero
Masset
Weathers
Rhodes
Betancourt
Herrera
Fisher
Manuel
Burton
Stewart (AAA)
Viola (AAA)

this fits with my theory that the Reds need a corner outfielder & a shortstop to actually win in 2009. they also need EE, Bailey & Volquez to play well in the 2nd half.

FYI - Maicer Izturis is sitting on the bench (behind Aybar). Would look good at SS for the rest of 2009 & 2010 while we wait and see if Cozart is the real deal.

RedLegSuperStar
07-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Two trades I make:

Harang, Fisher, and Dorn to the Angels for Santana and Wood

Fransico, Maloney, Roenicke, and Stubbs to A's for Holliday

savafan
07-11-2009, 04:18 PM
It's an interesting question, and you have to ask yourself, is one player going to make the difference with this team? Would one position player effectively make this team a World Series caliber team? Would a good hitting shortstop be enough for the Reds to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox of the world come October? I don't think so.

That's why I'd have to say Roy Halladay. He would give the Reds one nasty starting rotation, arguably among the best in the game, and set them up quite nicely for a short series playoff run.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 05:03 PM
The reason why I started this thread asking that specific question was that I don't think the Reds will acquire a starting pitcher, an outfielder, a 3rd baseman, and a shortstop. I know some would love that but I just don't think it's realistic. Hopefully Cueto does well today. And if Volquez is back in 2-3 weeks we should have a better rotation than most teams again. The bigger problem will still be the offense. So if you CAN add one player would it still be a pitcher or a position player? And if you say position player then which position?

I picked a ss cuz, imo, shortstop is where a good hitter would provide the most improvement offensively over the players that are expected to play there now.

savafan
07-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I still say starting pitcher. That's what wins championships.

Ravenlord
07-11-2009, 05:07 PM
i'd love to pick up Macier Isturis and Ryan Church, but the Braves beat the Reds on that front.

Falls City Beer
07-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Just get Arroyo's contract (and Weathers's) off the books.

savafan
07-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Honestly, I still say move Harang, Cordero and Hernandez for good young talent and build for sustainable future success, but if I had to add a player for a run this year, it would be a pitcher.

Remember, the Braves won with Mark Lemke and Jeff Blauser, but had a phenomenal pitching staff.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
That's why I'd have to say Roy Halladay. He would give the Reds one nasty starting rotation, arguably among the best in the game, and set them up quite nicely for a short series playoff run.

I still say starting pitcher. That's what wins championships.
And I'll agree about the importance of pitching but if Volquez can come back and be healthy for the last 2-2 1/2 months of the season how much of an improvement over him would Halladay be? I'd be more than happy with Cueto, Volquez, & Harang as the starters in the playoffs.

Ravenlord
07-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Remember, the Braves won with Mark Lemke and Jeff Blauser, but had a phenomenal pitching staff.

Blauser was a career 354 OBP and 406 SLG. Blauser also broke a 400 OBP twice in his career with 500+PAs both times.

however if Baker had Mark Lemke, he'd be hitting second instead of 8th..

Falls City Beer
07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
And I'll agree about the importance of pitching but if Volquez can come back and be healthy for the last 2-2 1/2 months of the season how much of an improvement over him would Halladay be? I'd be more than happy with Cueto, Volquez, & Harang as the starters in the playoffs.

It's probably too late for even a perfectly healthy Volquez to have enough of an impact at this point. It's getting away from the Reds, and the Cards are just getting warmed up.

Falls City Beer
07-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Blauser was a career 354 OBP and 406 SLG. Blauser also broke a 400 OBP twice in his career with 500+PAs both times.

however if Baker had Mark Lemke, he'd be hitting second instead of 8th..

Blauser also gave away a lot of his offense with his weak defense.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
It's probably too late for even a perfectly healthy Volquez to have enough of an impact at this point. It's getting away from the Reds, and the Cards are just getting warmed up.
Maybe. They'll definitely have to win at least one of the next 2 games and start the 2nd half off well to avoid being sellers. I wouldn't make that determination quite yet though.

savafan
07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Blauser also gave away a lot of his offense with his weak defense.

Exactly. I'd ride out Janisch's defense at short for the rest of the season and consider any offensive production a plus. Dickerson starts in center, and Willy T. becomes a $2 million pinch runner/defensive replacement. He has skills, use those skills since you have to pay him anyway. I don't feel the offense is as bad as most of you, I just think the lineup constructions leaves a lot to be desired.

Falls City Beer
07-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe. They'll definitely have to win at least one of the next 2 games and start the 2nd half off well to avoid being sellers. I wouldn't make that determination quite yet though.

False hope tends to stall serious improvements.

Falls City Beer
07-11-2009, 05:27 PM
If I had to add a player--getting back to the thread topic--it would be Halladay, no question about it. A hammer vet starter would make this team a perennial contender.

redsfandan
07-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with your points about the lineup construction savafan and the offense not being as bad as it's been. Votto & EE have both missed alot of time and just by having those two back will help. But I still feel ss is a bigger need than the rotation.
As far as your desire to see Cordero moved I would be shocked if it happened anytime soon. That contract is too much of an albatross.

False hope tends to stall serious improvements.
They have 2 weeks. At that point there will still be time to move a player or two to help us next year if the standings haven't changed.

Jpup
07-11-2009, 06:31 PM
one player for the rest of this season is not going to put the Reds in the playoffs IMO. The best chance is with a starting pitcher, but the offense is horrendous. I'm not sure, other than Halladay, of anyone available to even make it close. I don't think the Reds have the stones to trade for him anyway. He'll likely be a Dodger, Met, Brewer, or Cardinal.

To add one player to the offense and even remotely have a chance, it would have to be ARod or someone of that magnitude.

savafan
07-11-2009, 06:48 PM
If the Brewers and Cardinals have the money to add a Halladay, then there is no reason at all why the Reds couldn't.

Will M
07-11-2009, 06:51 PM
The reason why I started this thread asking that specific question was that I don't think the Reds will acquire a starting pitcher, an outfielder, a 3rd baseman, and a shortstop. I know some would love that but I just don't think it's realistic. Hopefully Cueto does well today. And if Volquez is back in 2-3 weeks we should have a better rotation than most teams again. The bigger problem will still be the offense. So if you CAN add one player would it still be a pitcher or a position player? And if you say position player then which position?

I picked a ss cuz, imo, shortstop is where a good hitter would provide the most improvement offensively over the players that are expected to play there now.

if i could only add one player from outside i would trade for Maicer Itzuris (currently on the bench in LA). this fixes the SS hole both for 2009 & 2010.

TRF
07-11-2009, 07:23 PM
If I truly believe that SS can be handled defensively by Janish/Hairston, then I go hard after Matt Kemp with the idea of waiving/trading WT.

I believe the pitching will be fine, even if Arroyo's last start was a fluke.

Jpup
07-12-2009, 03:00 AM
If I truly believe that SS can be handled defensively by Janish/Hairston, then I go hard after Matt Kemp with the idea of waiving/trading WT.

I believe the pitching will be fine, even if Arroyo's last start was a fluke.

Why would the Dodgers trade Matt Kemp? I don't see it happening at all.

Hap
07-12-2009, 11:58 AM
never thought i would say this but............................................... ...........

Adam Dunn

and I am not joking

Falls City Beer
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
never thought i would say this but............................................... ...........

Adam Dunn

and I am not joking

He'd almost certainly be the easiest to acquire from a prospects standpoint. The Nats are one of the very few teams who the Reds have over a barrel in terms of talent. Using that leverage would be pretty smart.

Plus acquiring Dunn would undercut the offense moaning round here. We'd have no choice but to complain about the subpar pitching!

Hap
07-12-2009, 01:40 PM
And Dunn's presence in the middle of the lineup would take cause the pitchers to pitch everyone else differently and would take the pressure off Votto and Phillips.

membengal
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
He'd almost certainly be the easiest to acquire from a prospects standpoint. The Nats are one of the very few teams who the Reds have over a barrel in terms of talent. Using that leverage would be pretty smart.

Plus acquiring Dunn would undercut the offense moaning round here. We'd have no choice but to complain about the subpar pitching!

To the extent that is a contination of your thesis that the Reds minor leagues are not stocked with prospects vis a vis the rest of baseball, you continue to be flat wrong in forwarding that.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
To the extent that is a contination of your thesis that the Reds minor leagues are not stocked with prospects vis a vis the rest of baseball, you continue to be flat wrong in forwarding that.

The Nats would want pitching; we have more pitching than the Nats. Supposedly we need more offense (and nothing else, apparently) at the MLB level. It would be a perfect match.

Virtually any other team would be able to bleed the Reds dry of talent (because they have more talent at the MLB level than the Reds) for a player like Dunn.

I've said repeatedly I like the offensive talent in the minors.

Jpup
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM
The Nats would want pitching; we have more pitching than the Nats. Supposedly we need more offense (and nothing else, apparently) at the MLB level. It would be a perfect match.

Virtually any other team would be able to bleed the Reds dry of talent (because they have more talent at the MLB level than the Reds) for a player like Dunn.

I've said repeatedly I like the offensive talent in the minors.

none of that minor league hitting is ready for the show.

redsfandan
07-13-2009, 02:19 AM
none of that minor league hitting is ready for the show.
You're stating that like it's a fact. It's not. We don't know if a prospect will be "ready for the show" until the prospect actually sees some time IN the show.

Mario-Rijo
07-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Two deals:

Mth you don't want Valaika playing SS, or anyone else subpar but want Peralta at SS? That dude is not a good defensive SS. He has a suitably strong arm, beyond that he isn't a very good defender there. I don't know if he ever was but I do know there is a reason he's played half of his games at 3B this season, he isn't a SS any longer.

I would still make a deal for M. Izturis and Scott Hairston, I'd also inquire about Jeremy Hermida but doubt we could afford the asking price. EE to Oakland for Hairston & Cabrera might work if they can't get Izturis. Then turn around and deal Stubbs and Gomes for Kouzmanoff before Seattle or Oakland beat us to him.

I know that is several players but I don't see too much a reason for dealing for any of those guys unless you try for all of them. If I just had to choose one though It would be Izturis or Kouzmanoff.

mth123
07-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Mth you don't want Valaika playing SS, or anyone else subpar but want Peralta at SS? That dude is not a good defensive SS. He has a suitably strong arm, beyond that he isn't a very good defender there. I don't know if he ever was but I do know there is a reason he's played half of his games at 3B this season, he isn't a SS any longer.

I would still make a deal for M. Izturis and Scott Hairston, I'd also inquire about Jeremy Hermida but doubt we could afford the asking price. EE to Oakland for Hairston & Cabrera might work if they can't get Izturis. Then turn around and deal Stubbs and Gomes for Kouzmanoff before Seattle or Oakland beat us to him.

I know that is several players but I don't see too much a reason for dealing for any of those guys unless you try for all of them. If I just had to choose one though It would be Izturis or Kouzmanoff.

I like Izturis and posted about the Reds acquiring him after the 2006 season. Short of sending Votto, Bruce, Cueto or Bailey, I don't see much on the current roster that would interest LA. If you could get him for Roenicke and Lecure or something fine. I'd even deal Stubbs and Roenicke for him. I just don't see LA biting on it. If Bray were healthy, he may be a guy they'd have interest in. With Guerrero and Hunter on the DL, they probably want the one thing the Reds don't have which is a bat for the middle of the order.

Oakland just got Hairston. I doubt he's available.

A lot of people on this board target Hermida, but I wonder why its assumed he's available. The Marlins are arb averse so maybe, but I think it would take an overpayment or a top pitcher. I might be willing to make a Travis Wood for Hermida swap, but I think they'd want more than that. I wouldn't deal Bailey, Cueto or Volquez and I think that's what it would take. Heck, they may not want Volquez at this point for the same reason that Hermida may be available. Hard to tell with the Marlins. But heck, if Maloney, Stubbs and Valaika would get it done, then sure, sign me up. Maybe a Wood/Valaika package could work. I'd do that too.

Not sure on Kouzmanouff. His .280 OBP is worrisome though I wonder if he could go all Vinny Castilla if he moved from San Diego to a park like GABP. I'm not sure the Padres will deal him. I think your offer of Stubbs might be realistic. They may want a pitcher want instead of Gomes. Maloney might be OK in San Diego with lots of road starts in LA and SF. Seems like the Reds could do better for Stubbs and Maloney though. Not sure why the Pads would want Gomes. He has enough service time to qualify for Arb and they'd probably just non-tender him after the season.

As for Peralta, you're right and I have real reservations about a guy like him at SS with this young staff on the mound, but he's an upgrade to the in house options. Janish isn't realistic if the team wants to try to win this year and Peralta is better than Hairston. For 2010, Peralta would be a safety net (I'd definitely keep looking) and may end-up as the starter at 3B if EdE goes in a deal in the off-season. The Reds are deep at 3B in the minors, but I'm skeptical of all these guys in the big leagues. At this point, Valaika, who has never played there to my knowledge, may be the best alternative and I'm not sure he has the bat for it.

If the Reds do nothing, I'd keep Rosales around and see how he does at SS in the second half. I'd let Hairston backfill in the OF. Hopefully they'll do something. I'm starting to get cold feet on giving up a lot of guys though and may prefer now that they simply thin the heard from the edges to pick-up a lesser guy to help out.

I'd still try to get some guys who may help this year and hopefully next, but in the deals I propose, its only guys that I personally consider the lesser options for their positions. Stubbs, Maloney, Valaika, Ramirez, Francisco can all be dealt with little long term loss IMO. Keep Bailey, Stewart, Alonso, Heisey, Wood, Smith, etc.

kpresidente
07-13-2009, 09:33 AM
I like Izturis and posted about the Reds acquiring him after the 2006 season. Short of sending Votto, Bruce, Cueto or Bailey, I don't see much on the current roster that would interest LA.

Cordero?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/dodgers-looking-for-a-reliever.html

kpresidente
07-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Adam Dunn
and I am not joking
Owings for Dunn? :)

Anyway, I don't think they want to trade him...
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/rizzo-not-trading-dunn.html

mth123
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Cordero?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/dodgers-looking-for-a-reliever.html

We're talking Angels, not Dodgers, but if Cordero would waive his no trade to go to LA, then I'd find some kind of deal and make it. I'd call up Zach Stewart and let he, Masset and Roenicke split the closer role. If Burton gets right, I'd throw him in the mix as well. The Reds have the makings of a dominant and cheap pen with those guys added to Fisher, Viola, Herrera, Manuel and maybe Bray. Keep Rhodes for veteran presence and go to war in 2010 with those guys and the 16 Million or so going to Cordero or Weathers used to upgrade other holes.

As for what to get from LA. I think the talk of Matt Kemp is a pipedream, but I'd love it. Aiming lower, I'd be happy with one of Ivan Dejesus JR or Chin Lung Hu and Lucus May. May and Hanigan would be a nice tandem in 2010. Probably couldn't get May and DeJesus in the same deal. Hu is a better defender than Janish with more range. His bat is very suspect but has more upside than Janish. I'd be thrilled with Hu and May for Cordero.

Jpup
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
You're stating that like it's a fact. It's not. We don't know if a prospect will be "ready for the show" until the prospect actually sees some time IN the show.

Well, the Reds front office certainly agrees. If they were ready, they would be playing in the show. Adam Rosales is a AAAA player and he got the call over any of that depth unless you believe he is a part of that depth. If there were such depth, the Reds offense would not continue to stink.

jojo
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Hmmm......

If the Reds added a slugger and Dusty decided to bat the slugger second, who would see more fastballs, Taveras or the slugger?

Will M
07-13-2009, 10:57 AM
We're talking Angels, not Dodgers, but if Cordero would waive his no trade to go to LA, then I'd find some kind of deal and make it. I'd call up Zach Stewart and let he, Masset and Roenicke split the closer role. If Burton gets right, I'd throw him in the mix as well. The Reds have the makings of a dominant and cheap pen with those guys added to Fisher, Viola, Herrera, Manuel and maybe Bray. Keep Rhodes for veteran presence and go to war in 2010 with those guys and the 16 Million or so going to Cordero or Weathers used to upgrade other holes.

As for what to get from LA. I think the talk of Matt Kemp is a pipedream, but I'd love it. Aiming lower, I'd be happy with one of Ivan Dejesus JR or Chin Lung Hu and Lucus May. May and Hanigan would be a nice tandem in 2010. Probably couldn't get May and DeJesus in the same deal. Hu is a better defender than Janish with more range. His bat is very suspect but has more upside than Janish. I'd be thrilled with Hu and May for Cordero.

or we could send them Weathers. we have so many young relievers on the roster and in AAA that Walt needs to move weathers (who is gone after this year anyway) to fix a hole elsewhere

mth123
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
or we could send them Weathers. we have so many young relievers on the roster and in AAA that Walt needs to move weathers (who is gone after this year anyway) to fix a hole elsewhere

If they want him. Sure. Weathers for Hu.

Degenerate39
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Owings for Dunn? :)

Anyway, I don't think they want to trade him...
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/rizzo-not-trading-dunn.html

I wouldn't want to trade him either

Roy Tucker
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
It has a snowball's chance in heck of happening, but I'd take Hanley Ramirez.

I am tired of watching 32-hoppers trickle through the left side of the IF as Hairston waves at them and Ramirez's stick would come in darn handy as well.

redsfandan
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, the Reds front office certainly agrees. If they were ready, they would be playing in the show. Adam Rosales is a AAAA player and he got the call over any of that depth unless you believe he is a part of that depth. If there were such depth, the Reds offense would not continue to stink.
Not necessarily. Front offices can be wrong and sometimes players can surprise. Until the player is given the opportunity it's only an assumption that the player won't be able to make the adjustment.

It has a snowball's chance in heck of happening, but I'd take Hanley Ramirez.

I am tired of watching 32-hoppers trickle through the left side of the IF as Hairston waves at them and Ramirez's stick would come in darn handy as well.
Hanley doesn't have much of a reputation defensively although Tejada doesn't either. I agree on the bat.