PDA

View Full Version : Bruce injured...

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Yikes that was an ugly replay. Stretched his wrist backward.

As tough as it is to say, Jay Bruce could probably use a trip to the DL more than anyone, as long as it's nothing serious.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Should make a lot of fans around here happy.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM

??? Seeing your future star shouldn't make anyone happy. It might be good to get Bruce some time off and a rehab stint though.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 07:40 PM
??? Seeing your future star shouldn't make anyone happy. It might be good to get Bruce some time off and a rehab stint though.

Lot of people dont even want bruce to be on the team, so yea im pretty sure they are happy in some fashion right now.

Mutaman
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM

Thats uncalled for. I've criticised Jay as much as anyboy but hes still a great young talent who constantly gives 100% and just needs time to adjust. Nobody wants to see the kid get hurt.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Thats uncalled for. I've criticised Jay as much as anyboy but hes still a great young talent who constantly gives 100% and just needs time to adjust. Nobody wants to see the kid get hurt.
But plenty of people dont want him on the roster.

scounts22
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Regardless of your personal feelings, that looked ugly. Hoping for the best for Brucey!

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 07:45 PM
But plenty of people dont want him on the roster.

I challenge you to find one post on the entire board that says that. Some say he needs a trip down but no one says he should leave the 40 man or be DFAd.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I challenge you to find one post on the entire board that says that.

Are you trying to say no one on the board has said he should be in AAA? :laugh:

Mutaman
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I challenge you to find one post on the entire board that says that. Some say he needs a trip down but no one says he should leave the 40 man or be DFAd.

Wait, you're asking someone to back up a rediculous statement with a few hard facts. That seems a bit unfair.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Are you trying to say no one on the board has said he should be in AAA? :laugh:

He's still on the 40 man at that point.

Dude is getting on base at the same rate as Willy Taveras. He needs something to jump start him.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 07:49 PM
He's still on the 40 man at that point.

Dude is getting on base at the same rate as Willy Taveras. He needs something to jump start him.

25 man roster you genius :laugh:

and exactly you dont want him in the majors so him going on the DL shouldnt really upset you that much.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
25 man roster you genius :laugh:

and exactly you dont want him in the majors so him going on the DL shouldnt really upset you that much.

You think that if he's ok he doesn't need something to jump start his bat? Or maybe to refine his approach?

I guess Bruce's .283 OBP is acceptable but Taveras' isn't?

Mutaman
07-11-2009, 07:53 PM
You're just digging yourself in deeper. Explain to me how a couple of people saying Bruce should be send down for awhile justifies a statement that his injury "should make a lot of fans around here happy."

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
You're just digging yourself in deeper. Explain to me how a couple of people saying Bruce should be send down for awhile justifies a statement that his injury "should make a lot of fans around here happy."

Did I say the injury itself was going to make people happy? Should make a lot of fans happy that he wont be playing for this team though. What you mean you guys arent happy he wont be playing? Are you upset that Mike Lincoln isnt pitching because he's hurt? No. Admit it you will be pretty happy to not see him in the line up.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
You think that if he's ok he doesn't need something to jump start his bat? Or maybe to refine his approach?

I guess Bruce's .283 OBP is acceptable but Taveras' isn't?

Bruce doesnt have pop fly to 2nd base power like Taveras, plus he plays defense. Bruce is struggling but comparing him to Taveras is so far off base.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
and yea if Taveras got hurt I wouldnt be all that upset if that meant getting him out of the line up.

Outside of some career ending injury of course.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Did I say the injury itself was going to make people happy? Should make a lot of fans happy that he wont be playing for this team though. What you mean you guys arent happy he wont be playing? Are you upset that Mike Lincoln isnt pitching because he's hurt? No. Admit it you will be pretty happy to not see him in the line up.

I'm always happy when you can remove a .283 OPB from the lineup. Especially when it means the young player could have some time off to hopefully get himself better.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm always happy when you can remove a .283 OPB from the lineup. Especially when it means the young player could have some time off to hopefully get himself better.

So like I said him getting hurt makes you happy. Thanks for griping at me for a handful of post just to prove me right. :laugh:

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:08 PM
So like I said him getting hurt makes you happy. Thanks for griping at me for a handful of post just to prove me right. :laugh:

You aren't happy when players performing badly don't play?

And I never said the injury makes me happy. Any fan should be happy when you can take a player with a .283 OBP out of the line up and hopefully replace him with something better, but that doesn't mean I want to see any player get hurt.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Update! Bruce fractured wrist.

scounts22
07-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Walt is saying probably out 4-6 weeks.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
You aren't happy when players performing badly don't play?

And I never said the injury makes me happy. Any fan should be happy when you can take a player with a .283 OBP out of the line up and hopefully replace him with something better, but that doesn't mean I want to see any player get hurt.

Did you read my post about Taveras? I wouldnt care that much if he got hurt. I would almost prefer it in a way just because he would get taken out of the line up. Do I mean I want him to be hurt? No I just wouldnt be too upset about it. Just like im sure plenty of Reds fans arent very upset with Bruce getting hurt.

JayBruce
07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Did the X-ray catch the broken swing he's been suffering from as well?

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Did you read my post about Taveras? I wouldnt care that much if he got hurt. I would almost prefer it in a way just because he would get taken out of the line up. Do I mean I want him to be hurt? No I just wouldnt be too upset about it. Just like im sure plenty of Reds fans arent very upset with Bruce getting hurt.

So then your not that upset that Bruce got hurt either? Cool, so we're in the same boat.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-11-2009, 08:27 PM
That sucks, I'm not glad he got hurt, but hopefully there's a silver lining in that he can get some time off and maybe come back better than ever. He should use the time to look at some tape to see what he's doing at the plate and take note.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
So then your not that upset that Bruce got hurt either? Cool, so we're in the same boat.

No im not in the camp that hates everything Jay Bruce right now so yea I dont really like to see him out of the line up given the other options. Then again you equate him and willy as the same player because of OBP, so just because I dont like willy it must mean I equally hate bruce.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
No im not in the camp that hates everything Jay Bruce right now so yea I dont really like to see him out of the line up given the other options. Then again you equate him and willy as the same player because of OBP, so just because I dont like willy it must mean I equally hate bruce.

Dickerson is a better player right now. I like that he'll be in the lineup daily.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Dickerson is a better player right now. I like that he'll be in the lineup daily.

Dickerson hasnt been playing against lefties like bruce has either.

JayBruce
07-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Can he do any worse?

Honestly, the guy has been a liability at the plate for most of the season, regardless of what hand the pitcher is using.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Can he do any worse?

Honestly, the guy has been a liability at the plate for most of the season, regardless of what hand the pitcher is using.

Yea dickerson could actually do worse.

I do see your point though, that .800 OPS against righties is a big time liability. I'm pretty pumped about that not being such a big problem anymore.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:43 PM

That's probably because Bruce has a career line of .188 .270 .293 .562 against lefties in the pros.

Dickerson's is 264 .375 .340 .715

Small sample sizes on both. But still. Not encouraging numbers for Bruce.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM

I do see your point though, that .800 OPS against righties is a big time liability. I'm pretty pumped about that not being such a big problem anymore.

And Dickerson OPS's .876 against righties. What have we lost?

JayBruce
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Are we watching the same player? He's been dreadful, and steadily getting worse all season. I'll miss his defense, but RIGHT NOW, Dickerson couldn't be any worse with the bat.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:46 PM
That's probably because Bruce has a career line of .188 .270 .293 .562 against lefties in the pros.

Dickerson's is 264 .375 .340 .715

Small sample sizes on both. But still. Not encouraging numbers for Bruce.

Still Dickerson doesnt have more ABs against lefties in his career than Bruce does this year. I wouldnt buy into either sample that much. One thing Dickerson does do is take the walks against the lefties at a pretty good rate.

Just to point it out, Bruce does have 5x the PA against lefties. Thats a large margin so who knows where dickersons numbers would go if they gave him that much playing time. They tend to sit him against lefties quite a bit. Its hard to judge it either way.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Are we watching the same player? He's been dreadful, and steadily getting worse all season. I'll miss his defense, but RIGHT NOW, Dickerson couldn't be any worse with the bat.

Ok well since you dont believe the stat then I have nothing to argue then.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
And Dickerson OPS's .876 against righties. What have we lost?

we have loss any chance of Willy Taveras being taken out of hte line up for the next 2 months.

BTW i was looking at this years numbers not last years.

JayBruce
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok well since you dont believe the stat then I have nothing to argue then.

LOL. How do you argue with the production lately? You can give me all the stats you want, but with my own two eyes I see a kid who looks completely lost for the most part when steps in the box.

schmidty622
07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Stubbs is probably coming up so I bet we'll see him get some time in center.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Stubbs is probably coming up so I bet we'll see him get some time in center.

Dickerson has had to play his butt off to get any time in center what makes you think Stubbs is going to get some? More likely Stubbs comes up plays RF, while Dusty yells at him for not backing up Taveras when taveras kicks the ball around the outfield.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 08:56 PM
LOL. How do you argue with the production lately? You can give me all the stats you want, but with my own two eyes I see a kid who looks completely lost for the most part when steps in the box.

You are right I simply cant argue against what you see. I'll take your word for it. The guy sucks. I'm now also very happy hes out of hte line up for 2 months.

JayBruceFan
07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
:cry:

JayBruce
07-11-2009, 09:03 PM
You are right I simply cant argue against what you see. I'll take your word for it. The guy sucks. I'm now also very happy hes out of hte line up for 2 months.

I know I'm right, but I never said he "sucks" as a player, and I never said I didn't want him in the lineup. Dude is a GREAT talent, he will get better, and I sure as hell would rather see him in the lineup than Dickerson if we're not going to compete. Don't put words in my mouth, kthx.

Honestly, you don't think the guy playing right field for the Cincinnati Reds the past few months has struggled mightily? Or is he just "un-lucky"?

Kingspoint
07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Walt is saying probably out 4-6 weeks.

Darn, that means more playing time for Taveras, as Dickerson likely plays LF or RF when he's in the game. Dickerson is now less likely to replace Taveras as often, if ever now.

This really sucks.

More Taveras probably means the season's over.

BluegrassRedleg
07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Just saw the replay on Tivo after being out earlier tonight. Now I wish I hadn't. That was nasty looking.

Hope Jay can bounce back strong from this. Mentally, maybe he can use the time to get his approach back in order.

GIDP
07-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I know I'm right, but I never said he "sucks" as a player, and I never said I didn't want him in the lineup. Dude is a GREAT talent, he will get better, and I sure as hell would rather see him in the lineup than Dickerson if we're not going to compete. Don't put words in my mouth, kthx.

Honestly, you don't think the guy playing right field for the Cincinnati Reds the past few months has struggled mightily? Or is he just "un-lucky"?

Where have I said he hasnt struggled?

scounts22
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
More Taveras probably means the season's over.

It'll be interesting to see what Walt does. Where Bruce's bat has been a liability, his defense has been pretty tremendous.

FlyerFanatic
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
It'll be interesting to see what Walt does. Where Bruce's bat has been a liability, his defense has been pretty tremendous.

i dont think walt does anything. when he was talking to grande during the game, it sounded a lot like what were were hearing earlier. more of that the injuries have hurt us, we havent had our full squad etc. i think they're planning on riding the season out and just shoot for a healthy squad next season.

RedsFanInBama
07-12-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm not ready to call this loss a "major blow" by any means. Bruce was stinking up the joint this year and to be honest with you, it looked to me like he needed a break from the game.

xavr1
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes maybe he needed a break. But he didnt need 4-6 weeks. Come on guys. This is the same guy we called franchise savior last year, and you all are equating him with AAA talent. He leads the team in HRs and NO ONE will replace his power threat in our lineup. Yes, he average and OBP were disgusting. But he is one of the best RFs in the game and our best source for power.

I am not even close to happy about this happening.

DTCromer
07-12-2009, 10:44 AM

SO you want to keep defending a guy who's .209?

And lulz at all the Reds fans saying this is a "big blow."

Knightro28
07-12-2009, 10:50 AM
IF Adam Rosales is at Citi Field for today's game. Got the call last night and caught early flight here from Louisville.

Mark Sheldon's twitter

GIDP
07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
SO you want to keep defending a guy who's .209?

And lulz at all the Reds fans saying this is a "big blow."

Like I said, this should make a lot of people around here happy.

Anyone else want to yell at me about my oringal post?

:laugh:

Griffey012
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
IF Adam Rosales is at Citi Field for today's game. Got the call last night and caught early flight here from Louisville.

Mark Sheldon's twitter

Tell me your not serious, $@!#

TheBigLebowski
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Some of you people make me absolutely ill.