PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs is 1st Option to replace Bruce, per Walt Jockety

Kingspoint
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Per Rotoworld via Lance's Twitter w/ Rotoworld comments:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said Drew Stubbs would be the first guy the Reds would look at to replace Jay Bruce.

Stubbs has a .280/.373/.373 line in Triple-A Louisville. He's obviously not going to be a tremendous asset, but does have 33 stolen bases on the season. Knowing Dusty Baker, he'll fall in love with Stubbs, despite Jonny Gomes deserving more playing time. In NL-only leagues, Stubbs is worth a pickup. In mixed, you may want to wait to see how things shake out.

Source: Twitter: Lance McAlister

GIDP
07-11-2009, 09:37 PM
He mentioned Stubbs and Heisey both.

BluegrassRedleg
07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd like a look at Heisey. I think his upside is better.

Kingspoint
07-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd put Votto in LF, Dickerson in CF, and Gomes in RF, and Hernandez at 1B w/ Hanigan at Catcher and leave Stubbs and Heisey where they are.

Jefferson24
07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I'd put Votto in LF, Dickerson in CF, and Gomes in RF, and Hernandez at 1B w/ Hanigan at Catcher and leave Stubbs and Heisey where they are.

This does provide the Reds an excellent time to try some things. I think its extremely safe to call the season over as far as contention for the central. Why not start looking at some different guys in some different positions. Might even try Philips as SS.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Don't want to be rude but..that is not happening

BluegrassRedleg
07-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Rack.

Krawhitham
07-12-2009, 12:53 AM
He mentioned Stubbs and Heisey both.

are either on the 40 man roster?

GIDP
07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
are either on the 40 man roster?

nope

Griffey012
07-12-2009, 03:54 AM

Wow, really? lets just go back to the defense we have had in previous seasons. Why not get Stubbs up here let him perform better than Willy?

BLEEDS
07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
IFF they put Stubbs in CF, and he continues to get on base at a .370 clip, and he continues to steal bases at an 85% clip, this may be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Reds right now.

It would take a solid 4-6 weeks of this for Dusty to realize that THIS is the type of CF you need leading off, dude.

Stubbs could then take over CF full time, Dickerson gets the RF job versus RHP, and Willy Taveras is relegated to spot starts against LHP, and eventually gets DFA'd.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Krawhitham
07-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Adam Rosales got the call

Grande Donkey
07-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Adam Rosales is here. Makes sense since he's on the 40-man and can play outfield in a pinch. Remember, the Reds have 13 pitchers. They could add Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey after the break.

No word on Jay Bruce.

I'm told the break is along the joint line. The bones have to line up perfectly. It looks like it does on the x-ray. But an MRI is much more precise. If it's not perfectly lined up, he would need surgery, ending his season.from Fay...

TheBigLebowski
07-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Rosales...hustle time.

GIDP
07-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Grande just said that Dusty has no intention of getting any young guys up from AAA.

So if they get an OF id expect the super productive McDonald to make his triumphant return.

GIDP
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Gotta love how mentally simple Dusty Baker is

“Just because we’re in need . . . Let’s let these kids play and develop. All we see is batting average. We don’t see the total game. There’s base-running, throwing, getting sign, fundamental stuff.”

I'm surprised this dude can wake up in the morning.

Slyder
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM

“Just because we’re in need . . . Let’s let these kids play and develop. All we see is batting average. We don’t see the total game. There’s base-running, throwing, getting sign, fundamental stuff.”

I'm surprised this dude can wake up in the morning.

And he continues to run Willy Tavares out there?

CesarGeronimo
07-12-2009, 03:36 PM

“All we see is batting average. We don’t see the total game.”

This is funny. There is somebody who puts too much emphasis on batting average and his name is Dusty Baker.

Kingspoint
07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Don't want to be rude but..that is not happening

No rudeness taken. I'd like to start preparing for Alonso right now. This season's over with the way Baker runs things.

texasdave
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Some of this stuff belongs in the Bakermetrics thread. Dusty never fails to entertain. And it would not surprise me at all to see Dusty McDonald back up here.

markymark69
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
This does provide the Reds an excellent time to try some things. I think its extremely safe to call the season over as far as contention for the central. Why not start looking at some different guys in some different positions. Might even try Philips as SS.

Do not know if I agree with that. Spring training is when you try things --- not in the middle of season. Votto has not played left field since his call-up in September two seasons ago, and even then he played it sparingly. Hernandez despite playing admirably at first base in Votto's absence --- is not a first baseman. If you move Phillips to short, most likely you affect his play there (again because it's been forever since he played it) and you would downgrade at second base as well. We would become even more weak defensively than we already are.

The bad thing (potentially) about bringing Stubbs or Heisey up is that they would have to play, no matter what their production would be. You can't bring them up and sit them --- they would have to play --- or you risk hampering their development.

I don't have a problem with bringing them up or even sitting players such as Hernandez (for Hanigan), but this is not computer baseball or fantasy baseball where you play someone out of position just to get another bat in the line-up.