PDA

View Full Version : any news on Volquez?

Reds1
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I haven't heard much about him for awhile. Is he supposed to be back soon after the break?
Thanks

TRF
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Last I read was he was essentially doing ST all over again, starting with a long toss program. I'd say we see his first rehab start in 2-3 weeks. Probably at High A.

OnBaseMachine
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Last I read he was going to start throwing off a mound right after the All-Star break for 7-10 days and then go on a rehab stint.

Reds1
07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, that's not bad. I had just heard somewhere about surgery, but it was just saying maybe it could be. I just hadn't heard much. We need to start off strong 2nd half to have a shot. I'm just not one who thinks this team has the goods so not real fired up about trading young guys for the likes of a Rolen. But who knows right!

reds1869
07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I hope he is given as much time as he needs. No reason to rush him back and derail a promising young career for a few extra wins in 2009.

RedsManRick
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Will Carroll suggested that mid-August would be optimistic.

OnBaseMachine
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Will Carroll suggested that mid-August would be optimistic.

Yeah, but he also said Encarnacion had a significant setback and could undergo surgery. I like him but he's wrong half the time.

From what I read last week, Volquez should be back by mid-August at the latest.

RedEye
07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Here's a not unrelated question: what do people think of Volquez's long-term health prospects? I think at 25 he's now past the supposed "injury nexus" for young pitchers, but he does have a bit of a violent delivery that (it seems) has already lead to one serious problem. I really, really hope this young pitching staff doesn't go the way of another one Dusty oversaw during his career. BTW, I'm not trying to suggest that Dusty is in any way responsible for Edinson's woes this year--just wondering what we might expect from Volquez's health going forward. Thoughts?

Blitz Dorsey
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree that I will always view Volquez as an injury risk (right or wrong) and hopefully the Reds can convince him to NOT play winter ball this year. Hopefully it doesn't take another serious injury for Volquez to realize that winter ball has no benefits. The people in the Dominican will still love you. Just make a bunch of money over here and give back to the DR. This idea that most Dominican players have to play winter ball is a joke. The high-profile guys don't play and Volquez should view himself in that fashion now. It's too big of a risk to his career (and too big of a risk for the Reds) for him to play winter ball. Then you add pitching in the WBC this year (after throwing ~200 innings for the Reds last year) and none of us should be surprised that he's hurt this year.

I just hope Volquez learned something. And the Reds need to stress it to him that they don't want him to play. They can't make him not play. But if they handle it right (sit him down and explain the pros and cons) I think he'll make the right choice. Winter ball is useless for a guy like Volquez. I don't care if a hitter wants to play winter ball, but not a starting pitcher that you want going 200 innings for you.

cincrazy
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Any young arm is an injury risk, and something that you have to protect. I'm not anymore concerned about Volquez than I am Bailey or Cueto or anyone else.

Hopefully this isn't a trend and is just a blip on the radar screen. But when it comes to young pitchers, it's hard to tell.

Jpup
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Jocketty said about 3 weeks from last weekend, hopefully.