PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, Solid Potential Additions

travisgrimes
07-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I was looking at some stats of some guys whom I have always liked and right now their teams may be looking to deal them and we could really use them:

1. SS/2B Clint Barmes, Colorado Rockies: Hitting .279 with 10 HRs and 44 RBIs, guy has some pop in the bat and plays a very good SS. Easily an upgrade over any of our SS and Rockies would only require may an arm or two in the bullpen.

2. LF Josh Willingham, Washington Nationals: Hitting .304 with 12 HRs and 26 RBIs and not in the lineup everyday. Nationals will require a young IF and some young relief help. Maybe a package of Chris Valaika and Carlos Fisher does it MAYBE also a PTBNL.

Lineup:
1. CF Chris Dickerson
2. SS Clint Barmes
3. 1B Joey Votto
4. 2B Brandon Phillips
5. LF Josh Willingham
6. RF Jay Bruce
7. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
8. C Ramon Hernandez
9. P

Seems like ALOT better lineup without the inconsistant revolving door in LF and a guy who can actually hit for a little power and field his position well at SS. While Bruce is out let Willingham play RF and continue to platoon Nix and Gomes until Bruce returns in late August, early Sept. for the playoff run.

CySeymour
07-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Barmes would be an interesting player. But the Rockies are only 2 games out in the Wild Card, so I doubt they would move him just yet.

BluegrassRedleg
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Interesting take. I definitely like the Barmes idea, although I agree that the Rockies likely won't be in dealing mode so soon. Willingham's alright, but I don't think the upgrade would be as significant as what it would be at the SS position.

travisgrimes
07-14-2009, 06:53 PM
i think willingham in the right place could be a HUGE underrated addition but barmes could be available alot sooner than people think, rockies seem to have a good enough offense without him but need bullpen arms bad.

BluegrassRedleg
07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Gomes and Willingham seem pretty similar to me, given equal playing time. I just don't know if I'd deal of anything of value for a guy that's not going to significantly upgrade my lineup.

Newman4
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Gomes and Willingham seem pretty similar to me, given equal playing time. I just don't know if I'd deal of anything of value for a guy that's not going to significantly upgrade my lineup.

The difference is that Willingham has shown throughout the last several years to be able to hit lefties AND righties where Gomes up until this year struggled vs. RHP. Willingham is an excellent option. Very, very underrated.

As for Barmes, he hits lefties well but is very average against righties. His home away splits are a little scary too. Maybe an upgrade over status quo but not much else. How about Jhonny Peralta at SS?

The guy I would like to acquire somehow is Willy Aybar. He has no position in Tampa and is going to be a star somewhere.

travisgrimes
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
if im trying to acquire a SS from tampa it has to be ben zobrist but he is about as untouchable right now as u can get

BluegrassRedleg
07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
The difference is that Willingham has shown throughout the last several years to be able to hit lefties AND righties where Gomes up until this year struggled vs. RHP. Willingham is an excellent option. Very, very underrated.

As for Barmes, he hits lefties well but is very average against righties. His home away splits are a little scary too. Maybe an upgrade over status quo but not much else. How about Jhonny Peralta at SS?

The guy I would like to acquire somehow is Willy Aybar. He has no position in Tampa and is going to be a star somewhere.

Peralta would be worth pursuing, IMO. He's had a bit of an off-year, and the Tribe may be more willing to part with him than the last two years.

NastyBoy
07-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Barmes would be an interesting trade... but I am also interested in Garret Atkins. Barmes was a bench player to start the season and played himself into the lineup at 2nd. Ian Steward has been playing 3rd, so Atkins is the odd man out.

Trade Brandon Phillips and EE for Atkins and Barmes.

OesterPoster
07-15-2009, 08:29 AM

No offense, but that would be the 2nd worst trade in the history of the Cincinnati Reds.

BSUFB
07-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Just say no to any Indians player not named Grady or Victor.

mac624
07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
and probably wouldn't take a ton to get him here. He played at my alma mater (Indiana State) and I saw him play there several times. He and Janish would form a very good offensive/defensive duo at SS.

bleedsred
07-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Barmes would be an interesting trade... but I am also interested in Garret Atkins. Barmes was a bench player to start the season and played himself into the lineup at 2nd. Ian Steward has been playing 3rd, so Atkins is the odd man out.

:eek:Trade the second best position player (the best being Votto) and bring back Atkins(odd man out) and Barmes(bench guy at beggining of season). Did Phillips steal your gf????

NastyBoy
07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
:eek:Trade the second best position player (the best being Votto) and bring back Atkins(odd man out) and Barmes(bench guy at beggining of season). Did Phillips steal your gf????

No... i was just drinking when i wrote that.:beerme:

pitcher7
07-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Why doesn't Ryan Hanigan play?????????????????????????...Talk about a cheap replacement

He is arguably the hottest hitter on the Reds and plays great defense. Also, Reds pitchers seemingly perform better with Hanigan catching, though I don't have the numbers to back it up.

This really proves Dusty is a "Veteran's dream" as manager. Either that, or the entire front office as a whole doesn't have faith in Hanigan as an everyday catcher to put Hernandez and his huge salary on the block.

the ripper
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
This is not cheap and finacially unfeasible but:

3B Rolen
SS Peralta (think we should heavily pursue)
2B Phillips
1B Votto
OF Combo of Nix, Dickerson, Hairston, Taveras, and give Gomes some PT
C Hernandez / Hanigan