PDA

View Full Version : Reds in 2010 what will they look like?

fewfirstchoice
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
C- Hanigan
1B- Votto
2B- Phillips
SS- hopefully not someone from outside Janish just isnt cut out for starting everyday. But who could the Reds get from outside to play SS next year?
3B- EE (looks like Walt is going to stick with him)
LF- who knows
CF- Probably Taveras but the Reds cant contend with him being anything more than a 5th outfielder.
RF- Bruce

So the Reds need a SS, LF, and hopefully a CF. I could probably see Dickerson filling one of the outfield spots but we need outside help for SS and 1 OF spot. We also need at least one of those spots to be a big powerful right handed hitter. So lets see if walt can get it done.

BSUFB
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
I really like Dickerson in CF. He could actually learn a lot from WT when it comes from getting a led off of first.

Fon Duc Tow
07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
WT should be a late inning pinch runner, and nothing more.

mac624
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
staff.

C-Hanigan and probably Tatum is a good offensive/defensive tandem

1B-Votto (enough said)

2B-Phillips (enough said)

3B-EdE (I'm not sold on him, but he's been hurt a lot this year, so hard to say, but he needs to pick it up)

LF-Nix/Heisey makes the most sense to me

CF-Dickerson/Stubbs would be the best here

RF-Bruce

Starter #1-Cueto
Starter #2-Volquez
Starter #3-Arroyo
Starter #4-Bailey
Starter #5-Owings

I'm assuming that Harang gets traded, but shortstop is really the position that nees a MASSIVE upgrade in terms of offensive production. I'm not against keeping Hairston and Janish around for defense, spot-starting, and late inning subbing and both are versitile.

Anyway, fix SS, and then we can talk serious contention. The above lineup probably isn't world series caliaber good, but it's playoff good, and that's another step in the right direction.

NeilHamburger
07-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Ugh, probably more of the same and more losing like the last decade. If Bob isn't willing to spend money on the team then neither am I.

My prediction:

1. Taveras CF (he is making about 4 mill. next year, it will be the gonzo effect of making too much to sit no matter what)
2. Hairston LF
3. Votto 1b
4. Phillips 2nd
5. Bruce RF
6. EE 3rd (making 4 million, and will start unless they get a good trade for him)
7. Hanigan C (should start now, thankfully this is one case where being cheap makes you better as oppossed the the option on ramon)
8. Janish SS (reds aren't spending, honestly, if gonzo comes back healthy and has a good sept. I could see Cincy bringing him back)

Essentially my take is Bob is just as cheap as Linder, he just understands better PR and how to talk to the press to make people believe he gives a damn. Well, I don't buy it, and haven't bought one ticket this year because of it. And don't really plan on spending a dime on this team until they are worth it.

tobttr
07-14-2009, 03:27 PM
SS will probably be Neifi Perez or Ronnie Cedeno or some other ex-Cub.

mroby85
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Ugh, probably more of the same and more losing like the last decade. If Bob isn't willing to spend money on the team then neither am I.

My prediction:

1. Taveras CF (he is making about 4 mill. next year, it will be the gonzo effect of making too much to sit no matter what)
2. Hairston LF
3. Votto 1b
4. Phillips 2nd
5. Bruce RF
6. EE 3rd (making 4 million, and will start unless they get a good trade for him)
7. Hanigan C (should start now, thankfully this is one case where being cheap makes you better as oppossed the the option on ramon)
8. Janish SS (reds aren't spending, honestly, if gonzo comes back healthy and has a good sept. I could see Cincy bringing him back)

Essentially my take is Bob is just as cheap as Linder, he just understands better PR and how to talk to the press to make people believe he gives a damn. Well, I don't buy it, and haven't bought one ticket this year because of it. And don't really plan on spending a dime on this team until they are worth it.

I agree with your sentiment, and feel exactly the same way, but then I end up going to at least 10 games every year from 2 hours away, I'm sure i'll have a short memory when 2010 rolls around and have false hope again.

Obvious ones to me are
1B-Votto
2B-Phillips
C-Hanigan
RF-Bruce
CF-Dickerson

and as far as i'm concerned i'd like to see a new SS, LF, and 3B.

They need one REALLY solid bat in one of those positions, if they can find that in LF, I wouldn't mind keeping Edwin around, but if 3B is the only solid option to bring in a top bat, I wouldn't keep him no matter what. Also if they get that bat, I don't think Janish would kill them at short, his arm is sick. Basically I think it's a mix and match with those 3 positions though depends on what the best available you can bring in is.

camisadelgolf
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
It's going to be very interesting to see who the Reds protect from the rule five draft in December.

Who I think will go (15 players in total):
Ramon Hernandez (buyout)
Craig Tatum (just can't hit)
Jerry Hairston, Jr. (redundant)
Danny Richar (has already been DFAed once)
Alex Gonzalez (buyout)
Laynce Nix (not offered arbitration due to the young outfielders in AAA)
Jonny Gomes (see: Laynce Nix)
Sean Henry (not enough power to be worth a roster spot)
Dallas Buck (can't stay healthy)
Bill Bray (can't stay healthy and out of options)
Mike Lincoln (will be DFAed eventually)
Ben Jukich (one-trick pony that won't translate to ML success)
Alex Smit (LOOGY at best)
Enerio Del Rosario (a pitch-to-contact reliever is hardly a commodity)
Phil Valiquette (too wild to be effective)

That would leave a 40-man roster of:
(17)
C Ryan Hanigan
C Wilkin Castillo
1B Joey Votto
1B Yonder Alonso
2B Brandon Phillips
2B Drew Sutton
3B Edwin Encarnacion
3B Adam Rosales
3B Juan Francisco
SS Paul Janish
SS Chris Valaika
LF Danny Dorn
CF Chris Dickerson
CF Willy Taveras
CF Chris Heisey
CF Drew Stubbs
RF Jay Bruce

(12)
SP Edinson Volquez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Johnny Cueto
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Homer Bailey
SP Micah Owings
SP Ramon Ramirez
SP Sam LeCure
SP Matt Maloney
SP Daryl Thompson
SP Jordan Smith
SP Travis Wood

(11)
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Arthur Rhodes
RP David Weathers
RP Nick Masset
RP Jared Burton
RP Carlos Fisher
RP Daniel Ray Herrera
RP Robert Manuel
RP Josh Roenicke
RP Sean Watson
RP Pedro Viola

Obviously, the Reds would acquire more hitting--particularly at catcher and a shortstop--so I think we could see some of the young relievers or veteran starters traded for some help there.

Kingspoint
07-14-2009, 08:47 PM
If Dusty is still here, I have no reason to think it will look any different than the 2009 REDS, with the possible exception of a 2010 verson of Jerry Hairston to replace him, some ex-Cub that no other team wants to start every day for the REDS and fail miserably to get the job done while someone else, who's having a much better season sits on the bench.

Redlegs Homer
07-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping for

1. CF Chris Dickerson
2. LF Jerry Hairston Jr.
3. 2B Brandon Phillips
4. 1B Joey Votto
5. RF Jay Bruce
6. 3B EE
7. SS Paul Janish
8. C Ryan Hanigan
9. P

Rotation
1 Johnny Cueto
2 Edinson Volquez
3 Aaron Harang
4 Homer Bailey
5 Micah Owings

Of course this is hoping that Arroyo is far, far, far away from this team.