PDA

View Full Version : What are some exciting plays you have seen at a Reds game?

redsfan4445
07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I was thinking with the differnt position players asked about, I wondered what exciting things has Reds fans on here seen in person?

1) Deion Sanders scoring from 2nd on a routine gronder to SS.. I was at the game and was like WOW he is fast!! I dont rember who it was against.. but the ball was near up the middle.. the SS fielded the ball and thru to 1st and Deion didnt stop when he hit 3rd and scored on that play..

2) I witnessed back-back-back homers 2 different times, 2 seasons in a row!! I think 1999 was one of the years.. i might be wrong..

3) Watching the Reds hit 4 homers (might have been in one of the same games mentioned above) in the 8th inning and almost had 5 as Hal Morris had his caught next to the wall to end the inning..that was a great comeback win!!

4) 1999 game against the Cards.. the Reds kept battling back and tied it in the ninth then won it in the 10th on a Pookie Reese walk off.. It was near the end of the season and the reds needed that win..that was one of the most exciting games i saw..

5) Saw Reggie Sanders throw out a runner at home in 5 consecutive games i went to when he was a Red.. one was almost at the warning track, he threw a seed to home and nailed the runner.

George Anderson
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
In person and not on TV.

I went to all the 1990 Playoff and WS games so

1) Glenn Braggs robbing a HR in Game 6 of the NLCS.

2) Paul O'Neill's throw to nail Andy Van Slyke at 3B in the NLCS.

3) Joe Olivers game winning hit in Game 2 of the WS. I would have a heart attack if I jumped around that much in celebration today.

4) Eric Davis HR in Game 1 of the 90' Series. It was like throwing a punch and knocking Ali down in the first round.

redsmetz
07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I was going to say O'Neill's throw to get Van Slyke too.

Most exciting defensive end to a game I witnessed was against Cleveland, on 7/7/2000 (my wife's birthday, no less). Up 2-0 in the 9th inning, Graves comes in to close it out.

Graves gets the first batter out, then gives up a single to Alomar. Thome, pinch hitting for Vazquel, flies out to LF. Alomar moves to second with no throw from the Reds with Travis Fryman batting. Fryman walks.

Russell Branyon pinch hits for Sexson and doubles to LF. Alomar scores, but Fryman is thrown out at the plate trying to score with a beautiful throw from Alex Ochoa to Barry Larkin to Santiago. Wow, we just went nuts!

Big Klu
07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Game 4, 1990 NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Eric Davis throws Bobby Bonilla out trying to stretch a double into a triple.

flyer85
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
eric davis legging out a triple to complete the cycle

browning strking out Tracy Woodson to pitch the only perfect game in Reds history

walkoff hr from Dunn against the expos before a sellout crowd

Chip R
07-14-2009, 12:56 PM
All of Javy's walkoffs. :luvu:

Falls City Beer
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Barry Larkin stealing home in 1995.

Barry Larkin throwing out a White Sox in some interleague game in 97 or 98 I think. From his knees waaaaay out in left.

Big Klu
07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
All of Javy's walkoffs. :luvu:

I was there for the one against Valverde and the D-Backs.

Always Red
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I was there, just behind the 3rd base dugout (1991?) when Rob Dibble was enraged with himself for nearly blowing a save, and when the catcher tossed him the ball at the end of the game, he turned, and from between the mound and home plate, launched one into the green seats in CF, striking a departing fan.

good times.

On the other hand, it IS something I'll never forget.

guttle11
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Griffey's walkoff inside the park HR. When the ball bounced so awkwardly and strong off the makeshift batter's eye everyone kinda new he would try for it. Trying to see him running and the Cardinals (IIRC) outfield scrambling to get the balln at the same time...it was intense. Screaming "RUN, @#(&%&# you, RUN!" When he slid in safe at home the place just erupted.

redsmetz
07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I was there, just behind the 3rd base dugout (1991?) when Rob Dibble was enraged with himself for nearly blowing a save, and when the catcher tossed him the ball at the end of the game, he turned, and from between the mound and home plate, launched one into the green seats in CF, striking a departing fan.

good times.

On the other hand, it IS something I'll never forget.

I just read about a similar thing in this book I'm reading about Lou Brissie, the WWII vet who went on to play MLB after a serious injury in battle. He mentioned a pitcher for the St. Louis Browns who did this after the manager came out to remove him from the game. The manager told him afterwards to be at the ballpark early the next day. Arriving, he had the grounds keeper there who proceed to measure the distances from the mound to where the ball landed in the seats (not much chance it hit anybody at a Browns' game!) and fined him a dollar per each foot he threw it (not an insubstantial amount in that day).

Hoosier Red
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Chris Stynes' walk off 3 run homer in 1999.

Adam Dunn and Joe Randa go back to back on opening day. That was cool.

Dan
07-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Game 4, 1990 NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Eric Davis throws Bobby Bonilla out trying to stretch a double into a triple.

To me, the greatest play ever in Reds' history.

PuffyPig
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Griffey's walk off two run HR in the 9th vs. Pittsburg last year with my two sons. I think we knew it would be our last Griffey harrah.

WMR
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Randa and Dunn back to back on OD was cool.

Personal fave: WMP hitting a walk-off HR versus the Drays in interleague and on his own bobblehead night to boot.

Reds Fanatic
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I saw Dunn hitting a walk off home run against the Indians last year.

I also saw Barry Larkin hit his first career grand slam.

Reds Fanatic
07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Randa and Dunn back to back on OD was cool.

Personal fave: WMP hitting a walk-off HR versus the Drays in interleague and on his own bobblehead night to boot.
I forgot about that walk off. I was there for that as well. I think that was the night the Reds hit something like 7 home runs against Tampa Bay.

traderumor
07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
July 25, 1974--First game of a Twi-night DHer, Reds rally for 5 in the ninth, capped by a two-run homer over the LF wall by Tony Perez to stun the Giants, 14-13. We had green seats in the last row about halfway between home and first. I don't know how much my dad dropped that night in concessions for us two spoiled brat kids.

Dan
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Most exciting was, of course, Pete's 4192. Top row of the red seats, but I was there. Still have the ticket stub somewhere.

Also got to see JB's final home game as a Red, and hitting a home run was icing on the cake.

Fielding, it has to be Dave Parker catching a ball at the wall, then throwing out a runner trying to score from 3rd. Then comes up to lead off the next inning and hits a home run.

I once called a Jeff Reed home run. Sitting with friends and they walked the batter in front of Reed to load the bases. I turned to them and said it was a mistake. (Reed had been on fire for about 4-5 days.) Sure enough, Reed slammed it out of the park.

I(heart)Freel
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Fan of defense, so I'll vote for Freel's crazy awesome diving catch of Pujol's gap-shot on August 8, 2006.

OnBaseMachine
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Adam Dunn and Joe Randa going back-to-back to walkoff against the Mets on Opening Day of 2005.

Adam Dunn's walkoff HR against the Indians last year.

Wily Mo Pena walkoff HR against the Rays on his bobblehead night.

Eddie Taubensee and Aaron Boone both hit grand slams in consecutive innings against the Expos in August of 1999.

flyer85
07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Eddie Taubensee and Aaron Boone both hit grand slams in consecutive innings against the Expos in August of 1999.I was at that game as well ... IIRC it is the last time the Reds hit 2 slams in a game.

HeatherC1212
07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I was there for the one against Valverde and the D-Backs.

I was there for that one too. It was Memorial Day weekend about three years ago. Our seats were in the sun the whole afternoon and with the humidity and temperature both way too high, he made that whole day SOOOO much better! If we had lost that darn game after roasting the whole day I would have been highly annoyed, LOL :laugh:

I always enjoy when the pitchers either get a hit or hit a HR in a game. I've been to at least two games where Bronson has hit a HR, I was at the recent game where Micah hit a HR to left-center, and I loved being at the Reds-Cards game earlier this year when Aaron came up to bat with the bases loaded and hit a single that scored two runs. That's always good fun when our pitchers get some hits. It doesn't happen too often for most of them! :beerme:

I also loved the Jay Bruce walk off HR he hit against the Braves last year and that was also the game where Junior hit HR #599 so it was a really awesome game. :)