PDA

View Full Version : Fundementals and Preparation

Strikes Out Looking
07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I have a few question and I don't recall it being written about recently by any of the Reds beat writers.

First, do the Reds routinely take fielding practice--for instance when they went to Citipark for the first time this week did they go out in the field and run drills? Do they take fielding practice routinely during the season? I know I've heard of some teams doing it and it's always spoken of as its something extraordinary.

Do the Reds pitchers practice bunting during the season? The reason I ask this is that it seems most of the pitchers, especially Cueto bunt worse than a little leaguer. I've heard Brantley explaining what he does wrong, but my question is does he (and the rest of them) practice it on a regular basis. I guess from the gist of this, I don't think they do or that the instructor isn't very good.

And finally, what videotape technology do the Reds use? Do they watch tapes of those soft tossing leftys who are pitching against them for the first time or do they just go out and hack at them? I know the Cardinals have extensive tape facilities and they use them, which probably explains why a team with a minimum of talent can be in the pennant race every year (I know, having Albert doesn't hurt).

Chip R
07-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Do the Reds pitchers practice bunting during the season? The reason I ask this is that it seems most of the pitchers, especially Cueto bunt worse than a little leaguer. I've heard Brantley explaining what he does wrong, but my question is does he (and the rest of them) practice it on a regular basis. I guess from the gist of this, I don't think they do or that the instructor isn't very good.

You sure you are thinking of Cueto since he has 3-4 bunt singles?

Strikes Out Looking
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
You sure you are thinking of Cueto since he has 3-4 bunt singles?

I may be wrong, but I am remembering a game on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago when he couldn't get a bunt down to move the runner and ended up striking out--Brantley then explained that he pushes at the ball rather than whatever he's supposed to do.

TRF
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Cueto can actually bunt for a hit.

He's one of the better bunters on the team.

Hoosier Red
07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
He should try to bunt for a hit everytime. He's got an awful swing, and when trying to sacrifice, he seems like he has trouble getting one down.

Chip R
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I may be wrong, but I am remembering a game on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago when he couldn't get a bunt down to move the runner and ended up striking out--Brantley then explained that he pushes at the ball rather than whatever he's supposed to do.

You may be right. But you have to remember that no one's perfect and not even the best bunters can lay one down every time. Also factor in that he's a pitcher and Brantley's an idiot.

wolfboy
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Also factor in that he's a pitcher and Brantley's an idiot.

That's just pure awesomeness right there. :beerme:

Ron Madden
07-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Jeff Brantley's an Idiot take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Sorry, posted my thoughts before seeing that Chip had already made my point.