PDA

View Full Version : MLB Second-Half Needs

Scrap Irony
07-16-2009, 01:17 PM
The Phillies need at least one innings eater, whether Pedro signs or not. Arroyo wouldn't do well in that bandbox, but Harang might.

The Dodgers have two bullpen guys on the shelf and also need another starter. Cordero, Rhodes, and Weathers would look good there, as would Harang or Arroyo.

The White Sox need an IF with pop or a CF. This may be the only team that would take gamble on Willy Taveras. Please, for the love of God. He's fast, Mr. Williams. Perhaps Taveras and Phillips?

The Yankees need a fifth starter. Arroyo might lead the AL in HR allowed in half a season. Harang would look good in pinstripes, too.

The Rays need a catcher and a couple pitchers. Hernandez for Brignac?

The Tigers need a fifth starter and a closer. Arroyo would likely thrive in Detroit. So could Cordero. Can they afford the contracts?

The Twins need a 2B in the worst way, but don't like to spend the cash. Phillips fits their needs like a glove.

The Mariners need a catcher. Hernandez would be a nice fit out there.

The Rangers need a fifth starter. They have no cash to spend, though. How about Maloney and Ramirez for a catcher?

The Angels need an OF and a starter. Arroyo could be league average or better innings eater in the AL West and Gomes might also appeal to them.

The Giants need a 2B. Phillips for Posey? I'd do it.

The Mets needs relievers and starters. Arroyo and Cordero or Rhodes or even Weather would be a good fit.

jojo
07-16-2009, 01:31 PM
The Phillies need at least one innings eater, whether Pedro signs or not. Arroyo wouldn't do well in that bandbox, but Harang might.

The Dodgers have two bullpen guys on the shelf and also need another starter. Cordero, Rhodes, and Weathers would look good there, as would Harang or Arroyo.

The White Sox need an IF with pop or a CF. This may be the only team that would take gamble on Willy Taveras. Please, for the love of God. He's fast, Mr. Williams. Perhaps Taveras and Phillips?

The Yankees need a fifth starter. Arroyo might lead the AL in HR allowed in half a season. Harang would look good in pinstripes, too.

The Rays need a catcher and a couple pitchers. Hernandez for Brignac?

The Tigers need a fifth starter and a closer. Arroyo would likely thrive in Detroit. So could Cordero. Can they afford the contracts?

The Twins need a 2B in the worst way, but don't like to spend the cash. Phillips fits their needs like a glove.

The Mariners need a catcher. Hernandez would be a nice fit out there.

The Rangers need a fifth starter. They have no cash to spend, though. How about Maloney and Ramirez for a catcher?

The Angels need an OF and a starter. Arroyo could be league average or better innings eater in the AL West and Gomes might also appeal to them.

The Giants need a 2B. Phillips for Posey? I'd do it.

The Mets needs relievers and starters. Arroyo and Cordero or Rhodes or even Weather would be a good fit.

Arroyo is untradeable in my estimation. His contract makes it a tough sell to start. He has done zero this season to make a skittish GM decide to bite that bullet.

The last thing the Ms will do is add a catcher. The Reds would have 10X more interest in Clement as a catcher than the Ms would have in Hernandez as a catcher. Maybe the Reds should kick the tires on Clement, though IMHO, the Reds and Ms don't align very well as trade partners currently. If anything the Ms are a primary competitor with the Reds for a shortstop solution.

Color me shocked if the Rays entertained Brignac for RaH.

Concerning the Twins and Phillips, Sanchez would be a cheaper solution for them. The Reds should ask for alot coming back for Phillips-I think his bat is overrated but even then, he's roughly a 3.5 win player.

OnBaseMachine
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
jojo, it's funny you should mention Jeff Clement because I was looking at his stats this morning and thought to myself the Reds should target him. I still believe in his bat and it looks like the Mariners have soured on him. Clement/Hanigan would make a great duo behind the plate, IMO.

jojo
07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
jojo, it's funny you should mention Jeff Clement because I was looking at his stats this morning and thought to myself the Reds should target him. I still believe in his bat and it looks like the Mariners have soured on him. Clement/Hanigan would make a great duo behind the plate, IMO.

I think Clement is going to hit but he's a much more interesting player if he can play behind the plate. I'm a bit puzzled by how the Ms have handled him during the last year and a half.

Scrap Irony
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
The M's are horrible behind the plate offensively, with Johjima and Johnson (75 and 59 OPS+ respectively). Hernandez is a solid offensive player. I think that'd be a decent option for a team that doesn't much care for Clement, apparently, behind the plate.

jojo
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
The M's are horrible behind the plate offensively, with Johjima and Johnson (75 and 59 OPS+ respectively). Hernandez is a solid offensive player. I think that'd be a decent option for a team that doesn't much care for Clement, apparently, behind the plate.

Hernandez is a below major league average bat with questionable defensive skills. His numbers would be hurt by the Puget Sound.

To the extent that RaH would be an offensive upgrade over a healthy Johjima, it wouldn't be a significant enough upgrade for the Ms to pursue.

They are satisfied with Johjima/Johnson and with the kids they have on the farm for the future though they might be goaded into a minor deal involving Hanigan.

What do you think the Ms would give up for Hernandez?

Scrap Irony
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Probably not much. A minor league arm from low A or perhaps a fallen prospect. I do think you sell Hernandez short, though.

buckeyenut
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Arroyo, Tavaras and cash to cover Arroyo's contract to PHI for Michael Taylor?
Phillips, Tavaras and Rhodes to CHW for Gordon Beckham and Aaron Poreda?
Arroyo and Weathers for Scott Elbert and James Macdonald?
Phillips for Wilson Ramos and Deolis Guerra?
Final comment, in addition to Posey from SF for Phillips, I find Madison Bumgarner, Angel Villalona and Tim Alderson intriguing.

redsfandan
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Normally the Mets might have some interest in Hernandez as well. Although I don't think they're in the hunt for the playoffs anymore but since you mentioned the Mariners...

I get a kick out of how Phillips is mentioned in hypothetical trade offers. Imo, he's the least likely to be moved of all the players mentioned (Arroyo, Harang, Weathers, Cordero, Hernandez, Gomes, Taveras).

True the ChiSox probably would have more interest than most teams in Taveras. But they've got Podsednik. But it's not like we'd care what we'd get for Taveras. Who knows.

People may want to lower their expectations a little. Teams are probably less likely to move one top prospect, much less two, unless they receive someone that can put them into the playoffs.

Does Clement still project to stick as a catcher? I thought that was up in the air. If he can't be a catcher that has to detract from his value.

bucksfan2
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I heard Gammons on the radio saying this morning that the Mets don't have much money to spend. The Wilpons lost some $700M in the Madoff scheme.