PDA

View Full Version : Should Micah Owings get a few starts in the OF?

M2
07-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Simple question here. With Bruce out and Dickerson nursing a bad back, would you give Micah Owings a few starts in RF?

RedsManRick
07-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Is he going to be better than Johnny Gomes? Offensively he's like Gomes without the walks. I wouldn't want him to risk hurting himself so long as he's putting the up the solid #5 starter numbers on the mound.

reds1869
07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
We are the closest to seeing him that we have ever been. These injuries may do it.

Raisor
07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Is he going to be better than Johnny Gomes? Offensively he's like Gomes without the walks. I wouldn't want him to risk hurting himself so long as he's putting the up the solid #5 starter numbers on the mound.

I think if he played more and got more AB's, he'd start walking. Dude gets maybe 4 PA's a week at this point. Hack-a-matic.

He's probably the third best offensive player on the team, after Votto and Phillips. Get him some PA's.

WMR
07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Hell yeah. Unleash the fury.

RedsManRick
07-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I think if he played more and got more AB's, he'd start walking. Dude gets maybe 4 PA's a week at this point. Hack-a-matic.

He's probably the third best offensive player on the team, after Votto and Phillips. Get him some PA's.

If he got more PA's, pitchers would also find his weaknesses and begin to exploit them with greater regularity. It goes both ways. I have no problem using him as our primary RH pinch hitter. But running around the OF is an invitation for an injury.

REDREAD
07-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Not worth the injury. I also agree with RedManRick.. as soon as he becomes a starting OF, there will be scouting reports on him (which will be remembered when he PH).

reds44
07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I really don't think he is anymore than a really good hitting pitcher. If he was to get regular ABs he'd beat Wily Mo Pena minus.

REDREAD
07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Cool thread idea though.. Got to have something interesting to talk about.

Highlifeman21
07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
If Chip's boy-toy the latin love machine Javy Valentin can play 3B @ Yankee Stadium (what a stage for a debut, right?), then why the heck not trot Micah Owings out to play some OF.

Maybe we should have Janish begin a regular throwing regimen to get more work in the bullpen too, since clearly at this stage of the season I'm ready for anything.

... and, while we're at it, why don't we give Brandon Phillips some starts @ SS

Rojo
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM
But not when Janish is on the mound.

Highlifeman21
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
M2, shame on you for no public poll

TheNext44
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
If Nix, Gomes and Hairston are all injured, and it's a choice between Owings and Janish in left field, then maybe. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Playing the field is where most injuries occur. And he really wouldn't be able to make any throws to the infield, so as to not risk his pitching arm. One bad throw and you could lose him for the season on the mound. Just not worth the slight improvement you get in terms of OPS, if you get any at all.

M2
07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Here's my thing on the injury potential, so what? You can get injured stepping into the shower. Think of how cool it would be if he started a few games a week in the field and took his regular turn in the rotation. It's a game. Have some fun with it.

M2, shame on you for no public poll

Sorry, I just used the default settings when the poll came up. Honestly gave it no thought.

reds44
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
On the other hand, he can't be any worse than Taveras.

TheNext44
07-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Here's my thing on the injury potential, so what? You can get injured stepping into the shower. Think of how cool it would be if he started a few games a week in the field and took his regular turn in the rotation. It's a game. Have some fun with it.

Sorry, I just used the default settings when the poll came up. Honestly gave it no thought.

Awesome logic.

You have a chance of getting into an accident every time you drive your car. If you drive blindfolded, you have a greater chance. So why not drive blindfolded? It would be fun. :p:

And yes it would be cool, get the Reds on Sportscenter and be something to talk about for while on this board. I'm with you on that. :thumbup:

Highlifeman21
07-16-2009, 09:37 PM

Tis ok.

And you're right. This is a game. The Reds should have some fun. They aren't going to the postseason, so why not explore the roster flexibility possibilities?

CTA513
07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I would guess the other pitchers wouldn't be happy about having to play with only two real outfielders in the outfield.

GADawg
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
If he got more PA's, pitchers would also find his weaknesses and begin to exploit them with greater regularity. It goes both ways. I have no problem using him as our primary RH pinch hitter. But running around the OF is an invitation for an injury.

true dat....I love to see Owings grab a bat and head out to the on-deck circle but I'm betting that whole stepping in the bucket thing would be easy to exploit in the long run

M2
07-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Actually, if a mod wants to make this a public poll, that's cool by me.

cincrazy
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't do it. I know Owings is good in a small sample size, but he doesn't strike me as a guy capable of being a good every day hitter. He steps out of the bucket way too often, and has little to no plate discipline. That would catch up to him fairly quickly.

But, I guess that's not answering the actual question. If we're talking just a few games, I don't see any problem with that.

15fan
07-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Nah.

I'd rather have him work on being a pre-injury Mike Hampton than a Rick Ankiel.

*BaseClogger*
07-16-2009, 11:29 PM

This was my thinking...

TheNext44
07-17-2009, 12:08 AM

You realize that saying that it's just a game on a baseball message board is akin to going on a Star Trek message board and saying it's just a TV Show. :D

*BaseClogger*
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
You realize that saying that it's just a game on a baseball message board is akin to going on a Star Trek message board and saying it's just a TV Show. :D

Star Trek never had 10 straight losing seasons... ;)

Eric_the_Red
07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I would guess the other pitchers wouldn't be happy about having to play with only two real outfielders in the outfield.

Assuming Taveras isn't starting.

I vote no, I'd rather see them call up Stubbs or Heisey or another youngster to see what they can do in the bigs.

cumberlandreds
07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Why not? Give him a shot. Especially since it looks like the Reds have no intention of bringing up Heisy or Stubbs.

Hap
07-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I have said this before in this forum and I will keep saying it until everyone agrees with me...

Why would you put someone into a position he has never, ever played at any professional level????????

Micah Owings is a pitcher.

What is so difficult about that to understand? This is not a computer game where you can put players anywhere you want.

Why don't we call Johnny Bench out of retirement and see if he wants to play shortstop?

Do not bring Richard Ankiel into this discussion. Neither one has anything to do with the other. Ankiel spent three years in the minors learning to play outfield.

Chip R
07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I have said this before in this forum and I will keep saying it until everyone agrees with me...

Why would you put someone into a position he has never, ever played at any professional level????????

Micah Owings is a pitcher.

What is so difficult about that to understand? This is not a computer game where you can put players anywhere you want.

Dusty just needs to put his arm over his shoulder and say, "You know, Les... I mean, Micah, Pete Rose played outfield." ;)

westofyou
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Wes Farrell tried it, screwed up his arm... but he was better pitcher than Owings.. better hitter too.

westofyou
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Why don't we call Johnny Bench out of retirement and see if he wants to play shortstop?

He could have done it, he played CF

M2
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Ankiel spent three years in the minors learning to play outfield.

That's silly on the face of it. Pretty much everybody in baseball knows how to play OF. They may not be terribly good at it, but it's not like it's some grand mystery, nor is it a highly technical position. Ankiel spent two years getting his bat in gear and lost one season to injury. He wasn't being kept in the minors because he didn't know how to play the field.

The Reds have got an emergency situation and Owings is the best available bat on the 25-man roster. If he were a catcher, this wouldn't even be a discussion. They'd hand him an OF glove and tell him to do the best he can.

RedlegJake
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Nope. I'd simply PH him a lot more often. There's a time in almost every game when I say PH Owings NOW. It's not like the guy being replaced is an offensive powerhouse you'd miss later on.

M2
07-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Nope. I'd simply PH him a lot more often. There's a time in almost every game when I say PH Owings NOW. It's not like the guy being replaced is an offensive powerhouse you'd miss later on.

Solid thinking.

guttle11
07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Star Trek never had 10 straight losing seasons... ;)

Oh, I'd argue that all of their seasons were losing seasons.

Chip R
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Can't embarrass any of those position players, dude.

bucksfan2
07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I have said this before and I will say it again. If Owings gets extended playing time and more at bats he will become exposed. He is a free swinger who steps a little into the bucket. In limited playing time he is a very effective hitter, but if you run him out there 3-4 times a night he won't be that valuable of a hitter. Let him excel at what he does, he hits well in the 9th spot and PH duties. If he played every day he may take 2 walks all season long.

TheNext44
07-17-2009, 01:00 PM
That's silly on the face of it. Pretty much everybody in baseball knows how to play OF. They may not be terribly good at it, but it's not like it's some grand mystery, nor is it a highly technical position. Ankiel spent two years getting his bat in gear and lost one season to injury. He wasn't being kept in the minors because he didn't know how to play the field.

The Reds have got an emergency situation and Owings is the best available bat on the 25-man roster. If he were a catcher, this wouldn't even be a discussion. They'd hand him an OF glove and tell him to do the best he can.

Look at how hard it was for Griffey to learn RF, and that was just moving from one outfield position to the next. The same with Dickerson from CF to LF.

Ankiel did spend more time in the minors due to injury, but the main reason he stayed a whole year in the minors was his glove. Ask any Cardinal fan, that at least was what the Cardinals were telling the media. His bat was fine as shown by the numbers in his first season in the minors as an outfielder:

.259 .339 .514 .853

And here are the numbers in his second:

.267 .314 .568 .883

And the Reds tried to move Bench from catcher to 3B, and we all know how well that turned out, and that was with Bench working all offseason on it.

M2
07-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Look at how hard it was for Griffey to learn RF, and that was just moving from one outfield position to the next. The same with Dickerson from CF to LF.

Ankiel did spend more time in the minors due to injury, but the main reason he stayed a whole year in the minors was his glove. Ask any Cardinal fan, that at least was what the Cardinals were telling the media. His bat was fine as shown by the numbers in his first season in the minors as an outfielder:

.259 .339 .514 .853

And here are the numbers in his second:

.267 .314 .568 .883

And the Reds tried to move Bench from catcher to 3B, and we all know how well that turned out, and that was with Bench working all offseason on it.

And Ankiel went from A through AAA while posting those numbers. No one ever held him back for his glove. When his bat passed a level, he got promoted.

Jr.'s fielding problems weren't because of a position switch. He was also the worst CF in captivity. I can understand that players who play CF primarily might be better accustomed to the flight path of the ball in that position, but they can, do and always have adjusted to OF corner switches. It's a pretty common career path for a CF when he gets older.

And I'm not talking about Owings as a full-time OF. I'm talking about using his bat in an emergency situation, like the one the Reds find themselves in. Can he do this well enough in an emergency? I'd think so.

I also don't see the worry about playing a guy who might get exposed when the other options are guys that have been exposed.

RichRed
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Sure, why not? Are we afraid of falling from 15th to 16th in runs per game? Look out, Padres!

RedFanAlways1966
07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I have said this before and I will say it again. If Owings gets extended playing time and more at bats he will become exposed. He is a free swinger who steps a little into the bucket. In limited playing time he is a very effective hitter, but if you run him out there 3-4 times a night he won't be that valuable of a hitter. Let him excel at what he does, he hits well in the 9th spot and PH duties. If he played every day he may take 2 walks all season long.

I agree that he should stay out of the outfield (pitchers trump OFs all day). Cannot afford to lose an arm on the mound due to injury while playing in the OF in my opinion. Could be injured while PH'ing, which I want him to PH, but the risk is far-far less of getting hurt than it is while playing in the OF (Griffey, Bruce, Enos Slaughter, etc).

However, in regard to the bucksfan2 message, what if the coaches worked more with Owings on his swing? I agree with all that bucksfan2 has said (free swinger who steps into the bucket), but can it be made better with more work? Obviously Owings was born with the ability to swing a bat. Can that natural ability be honed with practice, teaching and work?

Chip R
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
However, in regard to the bucksfan2 message, what if the coaches worked more with Owings on his swing? I agree with all that bucksfan2 has said (free swinger who steps into the bucket), but can it be made better with more work? Obviously Owings was born with the ability to swing a bat. Can that natural ability be honed with practice, teaching and work?

I would think the coaches have their hands full with the bunch they have now.

GAC
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I would think the coaches have their hands full with the bunch they have now.

More like hands tied. :D

But to answer the polling question..... leave Owings alone.

klw
07-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Owings should only play in the outfield when Janish is on the mound.

Stephenk29
07-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree that he should stay out of the outfield (pitchers trump OFs all day). Cannot afford to lose an arm on the mound due to injury while playing in the OF in my opinion. Could be injured while PH'ing, which I want him to PH, but the risk is far-far less of getting hurt than it is while playing in the OF (Griffey, Bruce, Enos Slaughter, etc).

I know he is a pro with nothing to do all day but practice and play baseball. But, I think the amount of work it would take him to be serviceable would take quite a bit of time and would take away from his pitching. It took Ankiel about two years to become an everyday hitter, and he wasn't trying to pitch anymore either.