PDA

View Full Version : Who has lately caught your attention?

mace
07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm not talking about high draft choices (Billy Hamilton, Tyler Cline, etc.) or guys you knew about last year (Junior Arias, Byron Wiley, Yorman Rodriguez, Miguel Rojas, etc.) or players who began to distinguish themselves earlier in the season (Kevin Coddington, Logan Ondrusek, Matt Fairel, etc.). I'm asking who you've just begun to notice since, say, the rookie leagues started up (although I wouldn't confine the list to newcomers).

Here's my Top 20:

Yimmi Lopez, DSL -- a 16-year-old catcher who has an OBP over .400 (yes, yes, small sample).

Carlos Sanchez, DSL -- 18-year-old 1B whose four homers equal the rest of the team's.

Luis Machuca, DSL -- At 21, he's old for the league. But he's 6-1 (with a WHIP under 1.00) for a team that's not so hot.

Starlin Gerson, DSL -- Almost 21, and almost as impressive as Machuca. And 6-foot-4.

Carlos Tineo, DSL -- He's only here so I can mention his 15 BB in 6.1 IP. Holy smokes.

Henry Rodriguez, GCL -- 19, switch-hitter, infielder, looking good.

Theodis Bowe, GCL -- 18, small, presumably speedy OF. Sounds like a ballplayer.

Nathan Driessen, GCL -- Just-turned-18 LHP from Australia, doing very well. Throws from Down Under. Not sure about his arm slot, though.

Harold Johnson, GCL -- 18-year-old RHP more than holding his own in limited time. 6-foot-4.

Jesus Adames, GCL -- Ibid.

Mariekson Gregorius, Billings -- 19, SS, bats left, .885 OPS for starters. Got to think that a teenager from the Netherlands, who can do all that, has some serious upside.

Alexis Oliveras, Billings -- OF, 20, doing nicely at the top of the order.

Mauricio Pimental, Billings -- Skinny, switch-hitting IF who's not doing a thing. Don't know why I'm intrigued. Just a hunch, I guess.

Daniel Corcino, Billings -- 18-year-old RHP with 12 K in 9.1 IP.

Ezequiel Infante, Dayton -- 20-year-old lefty made short work of Billings.

Josh Fellhauer, Dayton -- Recent draftee has the CF thing going on.

Curtis Partch, Dayton -- RHP, suddenly dominant.

Mark Pawelek, Sarasota -- LHP, former top pick of Cubs, reclamation project at 22. Doing just fine so far.

Lee Tabor, Carolina -- Lefty moved to rotation out of necessity, and Eureka!

Matt Klinker, Carolina -- Probably too veteran to be included, but seems to have recently found something that hitters can't hit. And he's tall, which everybody seems to think is good.

OnBaseMachine
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Klinker has a solid 15 BB/71 K ratio in 67.1 innings, including 7 BB/29 in 25 innings with Double-A Carolina. IIRC, he posts over on Redleg Nation sometimes, so it's nice to see him doing well.

Starlin Gerson looks intriging. 6'4", 175 pounds. 2.81 ERA and 16 BB/42 K in 41.2 innings. I'd like to see him in the GCL next season.

The two that have really caught my eye are LHP Ezequiel Infante and RHP Daniel Corcino. Infante is a diminutive 20-year old lefty (5'10, 152) with a 2.70 ERA and 3 BB/13 K in 13.1 innings. Last season he posted an eye popping 0.19 ERA in 47 innings in the DSL. Daniel Corcino's ERA isn't very impressive at 5.25 in 12 innings, but he's only 18 years old and has 14 strikeouts in those 12 innings, including 12 in 9.1 innings with Billings. He's had three outings where he just dominated hitters but he's also had a couple outings where he got beat around a bit. I'll be keeping an eye on him in the future.

lollipopcurve
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Props in general to the rejuvenated international department:

Yorman (VZ)
Gregorius (Neth Antilles)
Junior Arias and Gerson (DR)
Kuo (Taiwan)
Driessen (Australia)

mace
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Props in general to the rejuvenated international department:

Yorman (VZ)
Gregorius (Neth Antilles)
Junior Arias and Gerson (DR)
Kuo (Taiwan)
Driessen (Australia)

Lollipop -- Where did you see that Gregorious was from the Netherlands Antilles? The bio on the Billings web page says he's a native of Amsterdam. Antilles would make more sense, of course. But I thought I also saw somewhere that he was signed by the guy who signs all their Europeans.

lollipopcurve
07-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Lollipop -- Where did you see that Gregorious was from the Netherlands Antilles? The bio on the Billings web page says he's a native of Amsterdam. Antilles would make more sense, of course. But I thought I also saw somewhere that he was signed by the guy who signs all their Europeans.

When he was signed, it was widely reported he was out of Curacao. Could have been born in Amsterdam and moved later. My guess is he grew up in the Caribbean, playing year round.

mace
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
When he was signed, it was widely reported he was out of Curacao. Could have been born in Amsterdam and moved later. My guess is he grew up in the Caribbean, playing year round.

You're right.

http://www.flixster.com/user/straightupafro

HokieRed
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm wondering if Andrew Bowman isn't finally starting to come around. He's old for his league, 23, at Dayton, but was very highly regarded at the time of his drafting, 5th round. On the year he's 5.06 ERA/48 innings/ 43 hits/2 HRs/26 W's/53 K's. 1.34 GO to AO, .238 BA against. Hits to innings, home run figure, ground outs, K's to innings all look pretty good.
Last ten games he's 4.09/ 22 innings / 15 hits/ 10 ER's /12 W's/ 24 K's. If you back out one really disastrous 2/3 of an inning, though, he's 21.3/ 3 ER's. Looks to me like there's real progress here and some solid fundamentals in the categories I listed above.

mace
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
I was close to listing Bowman. Until recently, I used to cringe every time I saw him entering a game. He seemed to blow up on a nightly basis. But lately, it's been very different. I also seem to recall redsof72 saying that he (Bowman, not redsof72) has quite a bit of velocity. Plus, he's another tall guy. And left-handed.

mace
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Harold Johnson, this year's 11th-round draft choice, took another step today with four 1-hit innings.

HokieRed
07-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Anybody know anything specific about Bowman's velocity, stuff?

Mario-Rijo
07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
A lot of guys are standing out recently just because they are new. But I read on another forum that a poster went and seen the GCL Reds for a short time and was impressed with Yovan Gonzalez (catcher) from a defensive standpoint (citing his arm and athleticism IIRC). Don't know the guy but the way he talked seemed to have at least some general idea of what a good defensive catcher should look like. I thought I'd toss that out there because his bat sure isn't garnering him any attention just yet.

Kingspoint
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Define, "lately".

mace
07-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Define, "lately".

I'm asking who you've just begun to notice since, say, the rookie leagues started up (although I wouldn't confine the list to newcomers).

flash
07-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Gregorius really doesn't excite me.he didn't start doing well until he was demoted from Sarasota. Henry Rodriguez looks nice.

I just saw Mace Thurman stats. Guy must throw fire judging by his K total. Had some trouble with wildness last year, but this year he seems to have overcome it. Lefty too. Does he count?

mace
07-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Gregorius really doesn't excite me.he didn't start doing well until he was demoted from Sarasota. Henry Rodriguez looks nice.

I just saw Mace Thurman stats. Guy must throw fire judging by his K total. Had some trouble with wildness last year, but this year he seems to have overcome it. Lefty too. Does he count?

I didn't include Thurman because he's somebody I liked last year, but there are no hard and fast rules here. It's good to get his name in the mix, seeing as how his last two seasons have been pretty impeccable. He had another 2.1 scoreless tonight. The guy's a machine. Does anybody know what he throws?

I believe that Gregorious was just sent to Sarasota to fill in for a bit. He was there anyway, for extended spring training, and they needed a SS. He's 19 and didn't have near the experience to be placed in the FSL under normal circumstances. Billings appears to be the right level for him, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge the success he's having there.

lollipopcurve
07-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Gregorius did well at high A for a 19 year old who had played only in the GCL (3 levels lower). Now he's hitting .423 in Billings. Not saying he's a top prospect, because he does not appear to have power, but he is clearly demonstrating advanced hitting skills for a 19 year old. The fact that he's also a SS makes him interesting -- the question is, how's the defense?

mace
07-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Gregorius did well at high A for a 19 year old who had played only in the GCL (3 levels lower). Now he's hitting .423 in Billings. Not saying he's a top prospect, because he does not appear to have power, but he is clearly demonstrating advanced hitting skills for a 19 year old. The fact that he's also a SS makes him interesting -- the question is, how's the defense?

The Billings announcer last night called him Dee Dee, although he didn't spell it for me.

lollipopcurve
07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
The Billings announcer last night called him Dee Dee, although he didn't spell it for me.

Did he say anything else interesting about the kid?

mace
07-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Did he say anything else interesting about the kid?

Not that I heard. I just discovered the broadcast in the 10th inning. But the announcer is not a dull fellow, and I'll surely tune in again at some point.

It was my first experience with minor-league radio, and I'm sure others here can cite chapter and verse, but I was startled by how easy it was. Looking at the line score on minorleaguebaseball.com, I happened to notice a little audio icon, clicked on it, and presto.

redsmetz
07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Not that I heard. I just discovered the broadcast in the 10th inning. But the announcer is not a dull fellow, and I'll surely tune in again at some point.

It was my first experience with minor-league radio, and I'm sure others here can cite chapter and verse, but I was startled by how easy it was. Looking at the line score on minorleaguebaseball.com, I happened to notice a little audio icon, clicked on it, and presto.

I've started checking while I'm at work in the afternoons to see if there are day games on. Since I'm in the office alone all but two days a week, it's nice background while I work.

OnBaseMachine
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Speaking of Gregorius...

In The Dugout - Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius
Steve Cusumano | Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40

This probably isn't too surprising, but when covering the Mustangs we will occasionally run into a language barrier. A number of the Mustangs speak little English, and I know I don't trust my high school Spanish for...well, for anything. However, it's safe to say D.D. Gregorius hasn't run into problems like that too often.

Born in Amsterdam, Netherlands before moving to Curaçao, Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius in fact speaks four languages, and he's currently learning Taiwanese so he can talk with teammate Yen-Wen Kuo.

But for all his linguistic prowess, it's been Gregorius' bat that is doing the talking this season: he's hitting .379 in 16 games with the Mustangs this season, and opened his time in Billings with a 13-game hitting streak.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/mustangsalley/article_2218423c-7736-11de-a887-001cc4c002e0.html

There's a video on Gregorius inside that link.

11larkin11
07-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Josh Fellhauer

HokieRed
07-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Mesoraco. He's two years out of high school ball and he's making progress in a tough high A league.

Xavier Redleg
07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Speaking of Gregorius...

In The Dugout - Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius
Steve Cusumano | Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40

This probably isn't too surprising, but when covering the Mustangs we will occasionally run into a language barrier. A number of the Mustangs speak little English, and I know I don't trust my high school Spanish for...well, for anything. However, it's safe to say D.D. Gregorius hasn't run into problems like that too often.

Born in Amsterdam, Netherlands before moving to Curaçao, Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius in fact speaks four languages, and he's currently learning Taiwanese so he can talk with teammate Yen-Wen Kuo.
But for all his linguistic prowess, it's been Gregorius' bat that is doing the talking this season: he's hitting .379 in 16 games with the Mustangs this season, and opened his time in Billings with a 13-game hitting streak.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/baseball/professional/minor/pioneer-league/mustangs/mustangsalley/article_2218423c-7736-11de-a887-001cc4c002e0.html

Gregorius seems rather gregarious... :D
But seriously, he seems like an impressive kid and pretty interesting prospect at ss. Ill definitely be rooting for him

redsof72
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Bowman's fastball is 92-95 and he has a big league breaking ball. He will look like a big leaguer for an inning and then give up three runs in the next inning due to inconsistent mechanics.

Probably does not fit the criteria but the guy that is the talk of the organization this year as far as going from the verge of being released out of A-ball to likely going on the 40-man is Logan Ondrusek.

How about someone starting a thread about who will go on the 40-man before the Rule V Draft? I am going to guess that the list will look like this: Heisey, Stubbs, Wood, Francisco, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Valaika, and Jordan Smith. That's a large first year class.

dougdirt
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
How about someone starting a thread about who will go on the 40-man before the Rule V Draft? I am going to guess that the list will look like this: Heisey, Stubbs, Wood, Francisco, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Valaika, and Jordan Smith. That's a large first year class.

Thats an awfully lot of movement that is going to have to be made this offseason.

mace
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Francisco's already on the 40-man. But yeah, there will be a lot of hard decisions. As difficult as determining who goes on the roster is who comes off. Aside from trades and contracts expiring, decisions will have to be made on guys like Thompson, Bray, Ramirez, Manuel, Castillo, Tatum, Janish, Richar, Rosales and even somebody like Nix.

I'm assuming a player like Jukich doesn't have to be protected, does he? He has played in parts of three seasons, but started in midseason 07. That gives him another year, right?

Good idea for a thread.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Francisco's already on the 40-man. But yeah, there will be a lot of hard decisions. As difficult as determining who goes on the roster is who comes off. Aside from trades and contracts expiring, decisions will have to be made on guys like Thompson, Bray, Ramirez, Manuel, Castillo, Tatum, Janish, Richar, Rosales and even somebody like Nix.

I'm assuming a player like Jukich doesn't have to be protected, does he? He has played in parts of three seasons, but started in midseason 07. That gives him another year, right?

Good idea for a thread.

I'd like to keep Manuel Janish and Rosales fromt hat list. I would lose sleep over any of the others but I'd like to have one of Thompson or Ramirez, and one of Castillo/Tatum (assuming no catching move is made in the offseason).

redsof72
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
My mistake on Francisco. Yes, he is on. Jukich will have to protected. He would be considered. Viola also could be. Yes, that is a lot of players. But this is the strongest class they have had in many years.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Good idea for a thread.

Out of the players you named, I'd keep Bray and Thompson depending on their health status.

The Reds need to make a decision on Janish/Rosales/Sutton/Valaika/Richar. I can only imagine two (maybe three) of the those guys sticking with the big club. The other two can be exposed as far as I'm concerned, as they are fairly redundant.

I'd think that Janish is probably the best fielder and weakest offensively, and I'd think that Rosales is probably the best hitter and weakest defensively. Regardless, there's no reason to have all five of them taking up spots on the 40 man.

Similarly, a decision on LeCure/J.Smith/Jukich/Ramirez should be made. No need to keep all four- I'd say two are sufficient.

Depending on whether Gomes is brought back, I might replace Nix with Dorn as a LH bat off the bench. (I don't think you can have absolute butcher OFs on the roster. Dorn might be the less-experienced, lefty version of Gomes.)

I can't imagine someone would think Valiquette is ready for the majors. While he's looked good, he has logged <25 IP above A ball.

I also hope that Stubbs is traded before the Rule V Draft. And if someone wants to pluck Wilkin Castillo or Craig Tatum away, bon voyage!

IN SUMMARY, ON THE 40 MAN I'D HAVE

Chris Heisey
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs (if he's not traded)
Logan Ondrusek OR Robert Manuel (no need for both)
Danny Dorn OR Laynce Nix (no need for both- depends on whether you bring back Gomes)
Two of Viola/Bray/Thompson (depends on the latter two's health)
Two of Jukich/LeCure/Smith/Ramirez
Three of Janish/Rosales/Sutton/Valaika/Richar

redsof72
07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Valiquette is much more highly regarded as a prospect than many would think. A 22 year old lefty who throws 95 and is having success. In a recent conversation, I asked a pitching coach in the Reds organization for his top three prospects and he had Valiquette in there.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Valiquette is much more highly regarded as a prospect than many would think. A 22 year old lefty who throws 95 and is having success. In a recent conversation, I asked a pitching coach in the Reds organization for his top three prospects and he had Valiquette in there.

I believe it. But I'm still skeptical as to whether or not another team really believes he could stick on a major league roster right now.

But for Rule V protection purposes, I'd have to think a team would have more confidence in a guy like Viola sticking right now than Valiquette, if for no other reason than Viola has thrown 140 innings above A ball (including 40 in AAA) whereas Valiquette has only 23 innings in AA to his name. Wouldn't you agree?

11larkin11
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Personally, I'd never have a reliever in the Top 5. I dont think many here saw Stewart as Top 5, definitely not Top 3, until he became a SP.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Personally, I'd never have a reliever in the Top 5. I dont think many here saw Stewart as Top 5, definitely not Top 3, until he became a SP.

I'd assume he meant pitching prospects being that he asked a pitching coach. I'm obviously not sure, but I also think said coach may be a little colored if he happened to coach Valiquette and hasn't seen some of the other guys (Stewart, Sulbaran, Fairel, Viola, whoever)

mth123
07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Lets see. As far as openings go, you'd have Hernandez, Gonzalez, Weathers and Hairston go as free agenst and Nix, Richar and probably Thompson would be unlikely to be claimed if DFA. With Castillo coming off the 60 Day DL, that would leave the team with 6 openings. Gomes is a wildcard at this point.

IMO, its another reason why the Reds should have made a couple of packages of two or three of these guys sooner for a solid vet or two. The team is likely to lose some guys anyway. Its possible that the Reds include some in the salary dumps to lessen the amount of money to be eaten. For example, I'd imagine dealing Willy would be hard, but stick a middling arm like Valiquette or Manuel with him and you may be able to avoid eating any cash and it would open some space.

11larkin11
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Shane Carlson has been batting very well since he was drafted. The good thing about it? Its in High A, in the FSL, no less

Slyder
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Mine isnt in the Reds Farm System but I wish the Reds could figure out someway to get this guy. Starling Marte (RF/CF WV Power) has absolute blazing speed, the little bits Ive gotten to see him is that he reads the ball off the bat very very almost freakishly well. Hitting I think .317 with 1 HR right now, sorry I cant provide more stats but I'm usually working when the games are going on. Only 20 yrs old so the power could come.

I don't believe he will be the power bat that he gets hyped to be but he should be maybe Todd Walker (15-20) like where he has enough power for you to respect him. The few times I have gotten to see him he seems to have a very smooth short swing. Feel free to tell me I am a moron if Im crazy. Anything (almost) that stays in the park is in Marte's range in CF, the radio guy for the Power said he's playing RF a bit due to a very strong arm but if he has a future its going to be CF IMO.

Again feel free to call me an idiot if I know nothing :D.

Mario-Rijo
07-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Lets see. As far as openings go, you'd have Hernandez, Gonzalez, Weathers and Hairston go as free agenst and Nix, Richar and probably Thompson would be unlikely to be claimed if DFA. With Castillo coming off the 60 Day DL, that would leave the team with 6 openings. Gomes is a wildcard at this point.

IMO, its another reason why the Reds should have made a couple of packages of two or three of these guys sooner for a solid vet or two. The team is likely to lose some guys anyway. Its possible that the Reds include some in the salary dumps to lessen the amount of money to be eaten. For example, I'd imagine dealing Willy would be hard, but stick a middling arm like Valiquette or Manuel with him and you may be able to avoid eating any cash and it would open some space.

Middling results/control perhaps not a middling arm. Manuel I agree he's the epitome of middling.

mace
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Agree totally about the packages. I haven't weighed in on the trade threads (to me, it's peeing in the dark), but that's the main reason why I'm in favor of trading veterans. In the Reds' particular case, I don't see it as selling out or starting over. The fact is, none of their veterans--with the exception of Cordero and maybe the ancient set-up guys, although I think others can fill that role capably--are irreplaceable. Like most, I'd rather see Hanigan catching than Hernandez, Janish or Cozart (maybe even Valaika or Rosales) at short than Gonzo, Stubbs or Heisey or Dickerson or for that matter Josh Fellhauer or Yorman Rodriguez (OK, exaggeration there) in CF in place of Taveras. I think your best chances for 2010, and surely beyond, are to keep piling up good young players. And to get back to the point, that may even require moving some young players who aren't quite up to the level of the guys you'd get back in trade or the guys you want on the 40-man.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree about the packages too, and have been advocating this for a while.

I still wonder if they can't call up Seattle and give them their choice of Sutton/Valaika/Rosales/Richar in exchange for the recently DFA'd Wladimir Balentien. After all, they did just trade away the great Yuniesky Betancourt. Maybe add Janish or Francisco to the mix to see if you can't also pry away Jeff Clement (if it's not already too late.)

The only problem I see with the packaging scenario is what if no other teams have any interest in these guys? It's not like any of them are setting the world on fire. Sure you could maybe net a PTBNL or two, but is that even worth it?

HokieRed
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Agree very much in general about the packaging plans, but I have to say I doubt anybody's going to take WT's contract for a Valiquette or a Manuel (and I like Valiquette a lot!) I think we're simply stuck with WT as we have been with AG.

redsof72
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Perhaps this has been reported elsewhere, but the Reds traded Manuel to Seattle today.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Perhaps this has been reported elsewhere, but the Reds traded Manuel to Seattle today.

Maybe they read this thread :beerme:

HokieRed
07-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe they read this thread :beerme:

Let's start suggesting as many ways of trading WT as possible.

HokieRed
07-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't know if this is the place to post it, but I just looked at the Sarasota roster and noticed we have Zach Ward on it. Doug, or anybody else, when did we pick him up?

dougdirt
07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't know if this is the place to post it, but I just looked at the Sarasota roster and noticed we have Zach Ward on it. Doug, or anybody else, when did we pick him up?

About two weeks ago we picked him back up. I believe the Twins released him straight up and we grabbed him.

NorrisHopper30
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
I've been following DSL and Theodis Bowe has stuck out to me.

HokieRed
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
About two weeks ago we picked him back up. I believe the Twins released him straight up and we grabbed him.

Thanks, Doug. Wonder if we know anything about what his health has been.