PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox DFA Julio Lugo

JWP
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Per www.mlbtraderumors.com :

The Red Sox designated Julio Lugo for assignment according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The move is not surprising, as Lugo did not travel to Toronto with the Red Sox, who need roster space for players returning from injury.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox consider Lugo a "sunk cost" and would expect very little in return for him in any trade. Lugo will likely be released if the Red Sox can't trade him.

The 33-year-old has a .352 OBP and fields well enough, so he figures to draw some interest.

Would it be worth it for the Reds to take a flyer on him? His bat has been average/above-average this year, although his defense has been terrible. He's a proven MLB shortstop at the very least.

GIDP
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Absolutely not. He is a terrible fielder. He brings nothing to the team other than more overall badness.

BLEEDS
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
a .352 OBP is at least 50 pts higher than what we're trotting out 1-2 these days...

I don't think he's a "Terrible" fielder either, but right now, can he seriously be worse than JHJ?!?!?

He'd be an incremental increase that's for sure. Better than anything else we can put out at SS for the next year at least.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CySeymour
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
a .352 OBP is at least 50 pts higher than what we're trotting out 1-2 these days...

I don't think he's a "Terrible" fielder either, but right now, can he seriously be worse than JHJ?!?!?

Contrary to my earlier post in another thread, I think you are right. Rob Neyer even showed some stats that suggest he hasn't been quite as bad with the glove this season as some might think. He still isn't good, but he wouldn't be an albotross at the plate like the others. Plus, I believe he would only cost the Reds the league min.

Captain Hook
07-17-2009, 02:31 PM
If the Reds picked him up would that mean we would have him next year also?He is under contract in 2010 for I think 9 mil.Would the Red Sox have to pay that as well?The options for the Reds at SS are few and if we can get a guy that has a good chance to be decent for league minimum for the next two years then I would think that this makes sense to do.If it doesn't work out then just release him.If it does then we have a vet SS for the next year and a half for next to nothing.

BLEEDS
07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Looks like they are willing to eat his entire contract...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9819512/Source:-Red-Sox-to-designate-Lugo;-release-likely

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Captain Hook
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Looks like they are willing to eat his entire contract...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9819512/Source:-Red-Sox-to-designate-Lugo;-release-likely

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Not to get off the subject but this just shows the difference between winners and losers.The Red Sox have a guy making 9 mil a year but are more then willing to let another guy making less money with less experience play because he is getting the job done.They believe this so much that they will just release the vet and eat his contract.Before anyone says that the Sox have the money to do this and the Reds don't I have to point out.This isn't about money.Its just a completely different way of doing things.We could DFA Taveras and Gonzalas and replace them with guys we are already paying and probably improve the team.You could throw Lincoln in there as well.

Trace's Daddy
07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see the Reds give him a shot. What's to lose? :beerme:

Fon Duc Tow
07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Not to get off the subject but this just shows the difference between winners and losers.The Red Sox have a guy making 9 mil a year but are more then willing to let another guy making less money with less experience play because he is getting the job done.They believe this so much that they will just release the vet and eat his contract.Before anyone says that the Sox have the money to do this and the Reds don't I have to point out.This isn't about money.Its just a completely different way of doing things.We could DFA Taveras and Gonzalas and replace them with guys we are already paying and probably improve the team.You could throw Lincoln in there as well.

Well said.

Play the best player for the position. Crazy concept isn't it?

Newman4
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe they'll take Willy and/or Lincoln :rolleyes:

GIDP
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM

He'd be an incremental increase that's for sure. Better than anything else we can put out at SS for the next year at least.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He would be fore sure?

Any reason why you are so excited over 120 some PA? I certainly cant get pumped up to a point where it will make me ignore his stats from 07 on.

DTCromer
07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I love these daily threads where some scrub is cut from other teams and people say we should pick him up. This isn't the Jim Bowden/Carl Linder Reds anymore. . . . contrary to popular belief.

BluegrassRedleg
07-18-2009, 01:15 AM
I love these daily threads where some scrub is cut from other teams and people say we should pick him up. This isn't the Jim Bowden/Carl Linder Reds anymore. . . . contrary to popular belief.

No doubt. Scrap-pile fascination.

Captain Hook
07-18-2009, 02:37 AM

If you guys think Gonzo or one of the other available free agents is a good option for next year then your right.I'm not sure that we can find someone better then Lugo to man SS next season.If we sign another SS it would surly be for at least 3 or 4 million a year for about the same production as we could expect from him at league min. I would love to hear a better idea.

GIDP
07-18-2009, 02:42 AM
If lugo is our best option for SS next year we should just play 4 outfielders

Captain Hook
07-18-2009, 02:56 AM

Like I said.Please give me some better ideas.It looks like to me that no matter how you look at it we are going to have some garbage at SS once again next year.We might as well have a guy that isn't too old and has had some good major league experience with some past success out there making league minimum.Trust me.I really would rather us not be in this situation where this has to be considered but what else is Walt going to do?Gonzo will have to be paid much more the Lugo.Any free agent out there will have to be paid more.Do you really want the Reds to sign Tajada who is the only decent FA this year 11 or 12 million per. for the next 2 or 3 seasons?

GIDP
07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Like I said.Please give me some better ideas.It looks like to me that no matter how you look at it we are going to have some garbage at SS once again next year.We might as well have a guy that isn't too old and has had some good major league experience with some past success out there making league minimum.Trust me.I really would rather us not be in this situation where this has to be considered but what else is Walt going to do?Gonzo will have to be paid much more the Lugo.Any free agent out there will have to be paid more.Do you really want the Reds to sign Tajada who is the only decent FA this year 11 or 12 million per. for the next 2 or 3 seasons?

Id go with in house options. Free agency is a bad idea these days.

BLEEDS
07-18-2009, 11:17 AM
If you guys think Gonzo or one of the other available free agents is a good option for next year then your right.I'm not sure that we can find someone better then Lugo to man SS next season.If we sign another SS it would surly be for at least 3 or 4 million a year for about the same production as we could expect from him at league min. I would love to hear a better idea.

So there you have it, no answers or options, just strawmen.

Lugo at league minimum would be a bigger VORP than Janish.

I've always said IFF we added TWO big bats to the team - include just replacing Taveras with a league average player for one of those "Big Bats" if you'd like - then we could afford to have a no-stick/all glove at SS, like Janish.

However, since that isn't going to happen, then we need see if we could incrementally increase SS. (sort of like we did at Catcher this year, RHsquared isn't going to win us a pennant but it's better than the three headed monster we had at catcher last year)

Lugo would be an increase over JHJ, Gonzo, Janish, or anybody we could get from the minors in-house, in VORP/WinShares/name your stat.

If you don't have concrete alternative options, try to bring something else to the table other than just shooting down viable options to be a positive value-add to the position.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GIDP
07-18-2009, 01:47 PM
So there you have it, no answers or options, just strawmen.

Lugo at league minimum would be a bigger VORP than Janish.

I've always said IFF we added TWO big bats to the team - include just replacing Taveras with a league average player for one of those "Big Bats" if you'd like - then we could afford to have a no-stick/all glove at SS, like Janish.

However, since that isn't going to happen, then we need see if we could incrementally increase SS. (sort of like we did at Catcher this year, RHsquared isn't going to win us a pennant but it's better than the three headed monster we had at catcher last year)

Lugo would be an increase over JHJ, Gonzo, Janish, or anybody we could get from the minors in-house, in VORP/WinShares/name your stat.

If you don't have concrete alternative options, try to bring something else to the table other than just shooting down viable options to be a positive value-add to the position.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
So are we not allowed to use defense in our arguments or do you think VORP included it?

camisadelgolf
07-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Lugo could be a slight upgrade over what the Reds have been sending out there, but that doesn't mean he's worth the flyer. He's exiting his prime, his range is practically nonexistent at this point, and his OPS hasn't been average in years. The Reds have plenty of below-average in-house options (Gonzalez, Hairston, Janish, Richar, Sutton, etc.), so if they're looking to improve at shortstop, they're going to have to set their sights higher than Lugo.

bleedsred
07-18-2009, 05:24 PM
What's wrong with making a play for FA to be Scutaro from Tor....played in every game but 1 I think with only 3 errors at ss. Batting AVG .287, OBP .385, with OPS .803....he is 34 and bats right. Maybe try a trade and sign????