PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln to go under the knife

LawFive
07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm not a neck surgery expert, but this sounds like it would be at least season-ending and could provide the Reds another 40-man opening:

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

Chip R
07-17-2009, 03:31 PM
There goes the season.

Mario-Rijo
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
"Cervical disk replacement surgery" done by a spinal surgeon? That doesn't sound good for 'ole Mikey boy. I have no idea what that means but it just sounds bad.

LoganBuck
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
That sounds career threatening, not in a crippling way, but in a Paul Wilson rehab your butt off to end up a shell of your former self way.

redsmetz
07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
"Cervical disk replacement surgery" done by a spinal surgeon? That doesn't sound good for 'ole Mikey boy. I have no idea what that means but it just sounds bad.

It's apparently a fairly new surgery when it comes to ballplayers. Here's what a quick Google search turned up about Chris Duncan having the same surgery last year:

http://www.disabledlistinformer.com/?p=644

The closing paragraph:

While he should regain his overall function, there are never any guarantees - especially with spine surgery. It is uncertain how he will bounce back from this surgery, but Duncan is tough as nails and I would not bet against him making a comeback in ‘09. This surgery certainly casts a shadow over a possible return, however. Given that the motor involvement is in his left arm and shoulder, he should not have any limitation with throwing, but his hitting effectiveness - notably with his power - will be the major test. (emphasis added)

Will M
07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I am a physician although not a spinal surgeon. A herniated cervical disk is certainly career threatening to an athelete. Heck, non athletes can end up with a medically & surgically unfixable problem and chronic pain/disability.

Can Lincoln come back after a sucessfull surgery? yes.
Should the Reds count on him for 2010? no way.

RedsManRick
07-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Look at the bright side, we signed him to a 2 year deal so we'll get him next year! Of all the poor decisions last off season, this one was perhaps the most perplexing.

Highlifeman21
07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I actually forgot Mike Lincoln was a Red

LawFive
07-17-2009, 11:54 PM
I actually forgot Mike Lincoln was a Red

I think the Reds were trying to forget Mike Lincoln was a Red.