PDA

View Full Version : 2009 British Open

cincrazy
07-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Tiger is at a +5 after two rounds, the projected cut is +4. Looks like Mr. Woods will be missing his fourth career cut, and second at a major, after the 2005 U.S. Open.

And how about Tom Watson tied for the lead going into the weekend?

Razor Shines
07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Tiger is at a +5 after two rounds, the projected cut is +4. Looks like Mr. Woods will be missing his fourth career cut, and second at a major, after the 2005 U.S. Open.

Yeah, I think that Watson being tied for the lead is possibly a bigger story than Tiger missing the cut.

Chip R
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM

That is so cool. If Tiger doesn't make the cut, that's going to be a blow to ratings for whomever is covering it (ABC?) but Watson's story should make up for it. Sort of like Jack at the Masters in 86.

flyer85
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Tom Watson story is something. We'll see if he can hang on.

At the ages of 61 to 63 Sam Snead finished 4th, 9th 3rd in the PGA Championship. Nicklaus finished 6th at the Masters when he was 58.

BuckeyeRed27
07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Lots of big names missed the cut. Still should be a good weekend of golf though.

I love the British Open because I can lay in bed at 8 in the morning and watch golf.

MWM
07-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh man, if Tom is in contention on Sunday I will be rooting harder that at any other golf tournament ever (maybe even more than last year's Ryder Cup). If he winds up winning it will be the biggest story in golf in I don't know how long. It probably surpasses the 97 Masters, definitely the '86 Masters.

His daughter works at my company doing the same thing I do. I don't know her well, but my buddy I played golf with today knows her very well and spoke to her this morning. She said they were just hoping he could stay within the top 10 going into the weekend. Guess he exceeded even his own family's expectations.

Highlifeman21
07-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Reason enough to root for Watson

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jul2009/1/3/tom-watson-245653924.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jul2009/5/2/tom-watson-pic-getty-153276008.jpg

Argyle, catch the fever!

SunDeck
07-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Watching online this morning. So far, Tiger has been mentioned about eight times, Watson once.

Highlifeman21
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Watching online this morning. So far, Tiger has been mentioned about eight times, Watson once.

Tiger's only missed 5 cuts as a pro, and only 2 that were Majors.

It's kind of a big deal...

Watson's a feel good story right now. If he finishes Round 3 within striking distance, then what he's doing is significant.

I hate to say it, but it's hard to get excited for this tournament until Sunday. Many guys can lose it today, but no one will win it until tomorrow. Lotta golf to be played.

bucksfan2
07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
If the wind rain blow in, I think its expected today, it will be the golfer who doesn't give up the most strokes. Without the wind and rain Turnberry just doesn't have the teeth that other open courses have.

To thoughts after reading Jason Sobel's blog. I can't believe Watson is only 59 years old. He seems like he has been playing for ever. And I also can't believe Retief Goosen is in his 40's. He just doesn't seem that old.

Redlegs23
07-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Watson is your 54 hole leader. Almost dropped a 20+ footer on 18 which would have given him 3 straight birdies to finish and a two stroke lead, but he got par and is the sole leader going into tomorrow. This tournament has been absolutely awesome to follow. This course is great for Watson's game, and he has been a magician on the greens. Hopefully he can keep it up for one more day and win this thing!

MWM
07-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow. This can't be happening. I REALLY want to believe, but I just can't get there. I just can't get myself to believe he's not going to fade tomorrow and be out of it by the 6th hole. My money is on Westwood or Goosen, but I'll be pulling for Tom harder than I've ever pulled before. Let there be wind.... and lots of it.

If Watson wins tomorrow, can anyone think of something bigger that's happened in our lifetimes in the game of golf? I can't.

Kingspoint
07-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow. This can't be happening. I REALLY want to believe, but I just can't get there. I just can't get myself to believe he's not going to fade tomorrow and be out of it by the 6th hole. My money is on Westwood or Goosen, but I'll be pulling for Tom harder than I've ever pulled before. Let there be wind.... and lots of it.

If Watson wins tomorrow, can anyone think of something bigger that's happened in our lifetimes in the game of golf? I can't.

Biggest story of sports in the last 10 years. It'd be like John Henry (if age wasn't a requirement) winning the Kentucky Derby about 15 years ago.

Watson takes Metamucil.

George Foster
07-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Jack winning in 86 at the Masters was pretty special. John Daly winning the PGA in 91 being the 8th alternate was a pretty big win as well.

George Foster
07-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Watson is your 54 hole leader. Almost dropped a 20+ footer on 18 which would have given him 3 straight birdies to finish and a two stroke lead, but he got par and is the sole leader going into tomorrow. This tournament has been absolutely awesome to follow. This course is great for Watson's game, and he has been a magician on the greens. Hopefully he can keep it up for one more day and win this thing!

The question is, if he wins, does he hang out for another week and play the Senior British open???

MWM
07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Nicklaus was big, but he was 6 years removed from winning 2 majors in a season. less than 3 yers earlier he had a runner up finish in a major. He was even 6th the previous year and had won the Memorial two years prior. So it was a big deal, but I think this dwarfs that (if he can pull it off).

Redhook
07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Jack winning in 86 at the Masters was pretty special. John Daly winning the PGA in 91 being the 8th alternate was a pretty big win as well.

Those were great, but if Watson wins tomorrow it will blows those two out of the water. He's 59 and he's leading a major with a round to go. He's also the best links player ever.

This is crazy. I'm looking forward to watching. Too bad Tiger or Phil aren't playing with him tomorrow. Then, it'd be off-the-charts interesting.

RFS62
07-18-2009, 11:12 PM
It's already a beautiful thing.

If Old Tom Watson pulls this off, it will be the greatest feat in golf history.

Nicklaus in '86 was awesome in its own way. He came from behind on the last day with a blistering back nine.

Watson has been under intense scrutiny the whole way, which brings much more pressure. The interviews, the commentary, the weight of carrying the lead through the whole tournament, it's so improbable, so unlikely, if Hollywood wrote it, we'd never believe it.

Do it, Tom.

Reds Fanatic
07-19-2009, 01:23 AM
I hope he can pull it off. It is amazing what Watson has done so far. I was just reading the numbers and Watson last won a PGA event back in 1998 and he last won a major in 1983. If he wins he would be the oldest person to win a major by 11 years.

Chip R
07-19-2009, 11:55 AM
If this happens I don't know whether to be impressed or not. On one hand, there is no other major that a guy like Watson could perform this well in. This isn't exactly the toughest course in the Open rotation and conditions have been fairly benign. The competition isn't exactly a Who's Who of pro golf.

On the other hand, Watson's 59 and has a fake hip. That's pretty awesome to go out and do this well in any pro tournament much less a major. A guy like Tiger couldn't even make the cut. And, even though these aren't the greatest golfers in the game, they aren't slouches and a lot of them are more used to playing this kind of course.

If this happens, I think Nicklaus' Masters' victory would be a greater feat since it was a tougher course and he beat some of the best players in the game in their prime.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Tom Watson tied for the lead with three holes to play. Westwood in trouble on 16.

Update: Westwood with a bogey on 16. Watson alone at -2 and safely on the green in regulation at 16.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Watson rolls in a little tester at 16 for par and walks to the 17th tee leading by one. Change coming rapidly at the British Open. Westwood in the rough off the tee at 17 makes a remarkable second shot and has a putt for eagle. Stewart Cink birdies 18 to grab a share of the lead with Watson. The ball is falling into the hole again and this Championship is up for grabs still.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Westwood strokes his eagle putt and it does everything but go in the hole. He taps in for birdie and moves back to -2. Watson is just off the fairway and hits a fairway wood that rolls just off the green. If he gets down in two from about 20 feet he will retake the lead at -3.

Jack Burton
07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Watson up one going into the final hole, bring it on home.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Tom Watson birdies 17 and is heading to the final hole of the Open with a one-stroke lead. Cink is in the clubhouse at -2. Westwood is playing 18 at -2 but hit a fairway bunker off the tee. Par, in all likelihood, wins it for Watson. Four strokes from history.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Watson with an excellent drive on 18. Now hit it on the green, two putts, history.

Update: Westwood bogies 18 to finish at -1. Watson hits his second and rolls off the back of the green. He needs an up and down to win this thing or else both Watson and Cink will head out for a 4-hole playoff.

Jack Burton
07-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Got some work to do now.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Watson rolls it about 6-8 feet past. Yikes! Nerves got to Watson on that putt. It never had a chance. Playoff between Cink and Watson.

Jack Burton
07-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Playoff. Cink will probably take this one. Pulling for Watson though, isn't everyone?

Chip R
07-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Playoff. Cink will probably take this one. Pulling for Watson though, isn't everyone?

Definitely pulling for Tom.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Cink par, Watson bogey. Both hit the fairway and found a greenside bunker on their second shot. Cink got up and down. Watson not so much. Moving to the second hole.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Hole two: Cink hits on and two putts for par. Watson hits a horrible tee shot that goes down an embankment. He has a blind second shot. Somehow Watson gets up and down for par. Remarkable par save by Watson.

texasdave
07-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Hole three is still being played but it is pretty much over. Cink on in two on the par five. Meanwhile, Watson's drive found the deep rough. He couldn't advance the ball much and was still in the rough. His third shot ran up well short of the green. His fourth shot is on but he is away. Cink will undoubtedly go to the last hole with a minimun of a two-stroke lead. A 3-stroke lead is probable.

MWM
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Painful to watch Tom melt down. I'm trying to convince myself that him just walking to 18 with the lead and being in a playoff for a major at 59 is enough, but it's not the same. Sad thing is, he hit a great tee shot and a great approach shot on 18. It just rolled a little too far.

Major downer.

joshnky
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Hole three is still being played but it is pretty much over. Cink on in two on the par five. Meanwhile, Watson's drive found the deep rough. He couldn't advance the ball much and was still in the rough. His third shot ran up well short of the green. His fourth shot is on but he is away. Cink will undoubtedly go to the last hole with a minimun of a two-stroke lead. A 3-stroke lead is probable.

What a collapse by Watson. The storylines have been there; however, the majors this year have been very poorly played and disappointing.

15fan
07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Cink getting it done.

But Tom Watson gets a great big old :clap:

Whale of a tournament, Tom.

SunDeck
07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Poor old Tom, all he needed to do was stay on the 18th green. So close!
Aside from the 86 Masters, that's really the only time I have ever really rooted for a guy, shot for shot.

MWM
07-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm still in a little disbelief. All he had to was get up and down from about 25 feet. He makes par from there probably 70% of the time. He was SO close.

SunDeck
07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm still in a little disbelief. All he had to was get up and down from about 25 feet. He makes par from there probably 70% of the time. He was SO close.

Thought sure he'd cozy that third shot up to the hole on 18. He knocked the heck out of that second shot.

Highlifeman21
07-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Too many decelerations of the putter today for Watson.

What should have been the winner on 18 in regulation, decel...

I rooted for you all day today Tom, but I'm not upset that Cink stole it from you.

DTCromer
07-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Tom WOATson had one of the great chokes yesterday.

How the heck do you lose by 6 shots in 4 hole playoff?

bucksfan2
07-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Tom WOATson had one of the great chokes yesterday.

How the heck do you lose by 6 shots in 4 hole playoff?

I wouldn't call it a choke job. It was an awful putting stroke he put on his final put, but overall he played one heck of a round. Cink also played a great round but it will go down as Watson choking.

Its easy to lose a playoff by that margin. When you are down and trying to make something happen you can end up losing big. Watson did exactly that. After his poor tee shot on 17 he needed to make something happen because Cink had an iron into the par 5. Even if Watson pars 17 he is 2 down.

texasdave
07-20-2009, 11:09 AM
This is what I don't understand. You see players in all kinds of sports "choke". And Watson obviously tightened up on that putt on 18. But if a person tries to make the same claim about baseball players it is just good ole 'random variation'.

SunDeck
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
If this happens I don't know whether to be impressed or not. On one hand, there is no other major that a guy like Watson could perform this well in. This isn't exactly the toughest course in the Open rotation and conditions have been fairly benign. The competition isn't exactly a Who's Who of pro golf.

On the other hand, Watson's 59 and has a fake hip. That's pretty awesome to go out and do this well in any pro tournament much less a major. A guy like Tiger couldn't even make the cut. And, even though these aren't the greatest golfers in the game, they aren't slouches and a lot of them are more used to playing this kind of course.

If this happens, I think Nicklaus' Masters' victory would be a greater feat since it was a tougher course and he beat some of the best players in the game in their prime.

I agree with the middle paragraph. The winning score was -2; it seems to me the course played up to the Scottish standard with its 23 mph winds.

Hoosier Red
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
This is what I don't understand. You see players in all kinds of sports "choke". And Watson obviously tightened up on that putt on 18. But if a person tries to make the same claim about baseball players it is just good ole 'random variation'.

I think thats because in baseball where you are set up to fail,its harder to divine what is actually choking.

I mean if a guy's a .300 hitter in the regular season, and he strikes out with runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 9th inning, is it because he choked, or because 6-7 times out of 10 he makes an out?

If Watson choked, it was the putt on 18. After he missed that putt he looked like he knew he didn't have four more holes in him.

SunDeck
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it may just be more obvious in golf. When a professional golfer's swing seems dramatically different and the result is bad (ie, the obvious deceleration of Watson's putter on 18), then what's left to say, but that he failed to execute the shot? There are obvious chokes in other sports (Buckner's muff in the 1986 WS comes to mind), but in golf they are more easily noticed. Additionally, if you define a "choke" as a mental breakdown, then high pressure golf just seems like the perfect storm for such a situation.

DTCromer
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Choking in baseball is a good example of what ARod's been doing.

HOF in the regular season/Jay Bruce in the postseason.

Razor Shines
07-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Choking in baseball is a good example of what ARod's been doing.

HOF in the regular season/Jay Bruce in the postseason.

.279 .373 .483 .856. But by all means ignore the facts and keep believing what you want because it's the popular opinion.