PDA

View Full Version : Two or three times tonight Grande has said...

BluegrassRedleg
07-18-2009, 08:49 PM
... "the next five to 10 days will determine whether the Reds are buyer or sellers."

This line of thinking makes me so frustrated.

Why weren't these guys buyers a month ago when they could have made a move to bolster the team and attempt take control of the division? Why wait around until you're barely hanging around or desperate? This division has been there for the taking.

This approach they're using is symptomatic of where they've been for 10+ years.

Get PROACTIVE Redlegs!

texasdave
07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Why wait until July 31st? If you think you have a shot go get some help. If you feel a guy can help you for two months, it seems logical that they can help you more in three months. I never have figured that one out myself.

Maldez
07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Jocketty has been looking for help all year long. A good GM never stops. But he's not going to just give away our young talent. I'd be very OK with no trades at all this year. The Reds are more than just one hitter away from being serious post-season contenders. Why mortgage the future ?

BluegrassRedleg
07-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Jocketty has been looking for help all year long. A good GM never stops. But he's not going to just give away our young talent. I'd be very OK with no trades at all this year. The Reds are more than just one hitter away from being serious post-season contenders. Why mortgage the future ?

I don't think anyone would advocate mortgaging the future. That being said, I don't put a great deal of stock in prospects. The Reds allegedly have some right now, but how much faith do you have in this organization to develop star players? They've struggled to produce much from their minor leagues for a long, long time. Even the guys we thought would be dynamite haven't exactly panned out like we thought. So if it comes down to making a move or holding on to prospects, I'm in the make a move column. If nothing else, it shows your fan base you're trying. Maybe even puts a few more fannies in the seats.

GIDP
07-18-2009, 09:58 PM
You were listening to George Grande

markymark69
07-18-2009, 10:55 PM
IMO, Jocketty has tried and hasn't liked the asking price. But, to answer the question as to why wait --- that asking price may go down by waiting. The flip side --- you may not stay in it. There is the issue.

Personally, I don't think the Reds can afford to move away from the current plan under the Jocketty regime. That doesn't help the instant gratification crowd, which I think most posters on this board are a part of.

The past Reds brass has had the same plan and has deviated from it, which has led to the eight straight losing season and the angst of the fans --- for the long term, Walt and Co, cannot do it this time, IMO.

BluegrassRedleg
07-18-2009, 11:15 PM

:cry:

Busted. But only because I was having issues with the radio signal tonight (and my browser has issues with WLW's streaming audio). Frustrating when I have to listen to the TV guys.

BluegrassRedleg
07-18-2009, 11:29 PM
IMO, Jocketty has tried and hasn't liked the asking price. But, to answer the question as to why wait --- that asking price may go down by waiting. The flip side --- you may not stay in it. There is the issue.

Personally, I don't think the Reds can afford to move away from the current plan under the Jocketty regime. That doesn't help the instant gratification crowd, which I think most posters on this board are a part of.

The past Reds brass has had the same plan and has deviated from it, which has led to the eight straight losing season and the angst of the fans --- for the long term, Walt and Co, cannot do it this time, IMO.

Fair enough. But I'd like to have that plan defined. What's your take on it?

13 in hall
07-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I think they are just forshadowing what is about to occur? Tons of scouts at the game which is not the norm. Bronson basically begging them to keep the team together. Whining like when he thought they might move him to the Braves, I wish that rumor had been true and they had moved him The announcers at every turn playing up everything Harang does in the community. What he does is great but I think if the Reds don't win 5 of the next 7 guys are gonna get moved if for nothing more than salary relief. Chris and George kept commenting on how the Reds had no real bad contracts on the books and so on. I think Jock has seen all he needs to and realizes he may just as well be patient and cast his lot with the young kids?

Fon Duc Tow
07-19-2009, 02:54 AM

If the Reds tank it over the next 5-10 days then "we didn't have the horses...time to sell."

If the Reds go on a run over the next 5-10 then "no need to pick up anyone else, we are good to go."

texasdave
07-19-2009, 07:48 AM
With a win today they split the four-game set with the Brewboys. The problem with this is they have four teams ahead of them and treading water is not going to cut it.

markymark69
07-19-2009, 08:39 PM

My take is that the Reds are actually planning for a run in 2010 and everything has been pointing to that. I think SS and LF will be answered without trading away the future. Either the asking price has been too high are the talent level they are eyeing for those spots isn't what they're looking for to this point.

The plan is to keep the core, let them develop and be in contention for the long haul instead of going for it, falling short and being left with nothing put draft picks who are years away from the major leagues, thus continuing the cycle.

Kingspoint
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM

I never catch REDS' games with Grande, and I heard him Saturday and Sunday. I couldn't take any more after about a game and a half. I like listening to Brantley, though. I assume that's Brantley, as it sounded like him and his sarcasm and honesty.