PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez traded to the Brewers

LvJ
07-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Ah, a team that wants to win. Nice.

According to B.J. Rains of MLB.com, the Diamondbacks have dealt Felipe Lopez to the Brewers for two minor-leaugers: outfielder Cole Gillespie and pitcher Roque Mercedes.

Lopez, batting .301/.364/.412 with six home runs, 25 RBI and six stolen bases, should help shore up the top of Milwaukee's lineup. The utilityman is playing mostly second base these days, and should easily usurp the 38-year-old Craig Counsell of his starting duties.

Mercedes, 22, was 1-1 with a 1.08 ERA in 29 relief appearances this season while playing in the Florida State League. Gillespie, a 25-year-old stuck at the Triple-A level, was batting .242 with seven home runs and 27 RBI for Nashville. It's a decent haul for an Arizona ballclub that continues to fall back in the NL West standings.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/brewers-land-felipe-lopez.html

redsfandan
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I was wondering when we'd start to see some trades.

flyer85
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
nice deal for the brewers ... all they gave up was a single A reliever and a guy that looks like a AAA OF. IMO all the Brewers did was get rid of chaff

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
nice deal for the brewers ... all they gave up was a single A reliever and a guy that looks like a AAA OF. IMO all the Brewers did was get rid of chaff

Yep, sure looks like the Brewers may have helped themselves.

Jpup
07-19-2009, 07:45 PM
The Reds could have used Felipe. I wished it was them making this trade. Milwaukee just made a great deal.

Screwball
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
So what would the equivalent be for the Reds? Josh Beal and Wes Bankston?

WVRedsFan
07-19-2009, 07:53 PM
The Reds could have used Felipe. I wished it was them making this trade. Milwaukee just made a great deal.

Oh well, the services of Majewski, Bray, and Clayton will more than make up for losing that former All-Star, right? :evil:

Oops, looks like I picked the wrong year to give up beer. :beerme:

Team Clark
07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Shame it took so many stops for Felipe to finally pull it together. He will fit great into the Brewers lineup.

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Even if Lopez doesn't start everyday at 2B he could be a big help to the Brew Crew as a utility player and switch hitter off the bench.

Jpup
07-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Even if Lopez doesn't start everyday at 2B he could be a big help to the Brew Crew as a utility player and switch hitter off the bench.

He going to be playing everyday and probably leading off.

Big Klu
07-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Oh well, the services of Majewski, Bray, and Clayton will more than make up for losing that former All-Star, right? :evil:

Oops, looks like I picked the wrong year to give up beer. :beerme:

Lopez is now on his fourth club since the trade. I really don't think the trade is relevant anymore.

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 08:03 PM
He going to be playing everyday and probably leading off.

Yea, He most likely will take over the 2B job but even if he doesn't he still brings value to the Brewers.

RedsManRick
07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
When you are upset that a supposed competitor got Felipe Lopez, your team probably wasn't much of a competitor to begin with.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't know why the Brewers are targeting offense. Not with that pitching.

Ron Madden
07-19-2009, 08:39 PM
When you are upset that a supposed competitor got Felipe Lopez, your team probably wasn't much of a competitor to begin with.

I'm not at all upset that the Brewers picked up Lopez.

Just saying that he could be a big help to them.

Caveat Emperor
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't know why the Brewers are targeting offense. Not with that pitching.

You improve with whatever the market is offering. If the market isn't offering good pitching, improve with better hitting.

Can't trade for players that aren't on the block.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
You improve with whatever the market is offering. If the market isn't offering good pitching, improve with better hitting.

Can't trade for players that aren't on the block.

It's not a trade that's going to hurt the Brewers obviously, but if they don't do something to stanch the runs allowed, it's not going to matter one bit. They're going to be chasing their tail.

Jpup
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM

He's a pretty good hitter for a second baseman.

TheNext44
07-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Pretty fair trade considering the money.

He's making $3.5M this year. I'm sure the D-backs could have gotten better prospects if they would have eaten some of the contract. That's around $1.5M that can now be spent on Latin America or next years draft.

WVRedsFan
07-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Lopez is now on his fourth club since the trade. I really don't think the trade is relevant anymore.

Hardly. The trade is relevant in that it brought Majewski to us who did what? Stunk up the place. It brought Bray to us who hasn't done much and it brought Clayton to us who left early.

Makes no difference, because back in those days, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway, but today we could use Felipe unlike Kearns or Wagner, I think.

Good offensive players sure beat what we've had in the infield over the years since the trade (see Clayton, Gonzo, etc) . We didn't get any, that's for sure.

mbgrayson
07-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Hardly. The trade is relevant in that it brought Majewski to us who did what? Stunk up the place. It brought Bray to us who hasn't done much and it brought Clayton to us who left early.

Makes no difference, because back in those days, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway, but today we could use Felipe unlike Kearns or Wagner, I think.

Good offensive players sure beat what we've had in the infield over the years since the trade (see Clayton, Gonzo, etc) . We didn't get any, that's for sure.

One problem was Lopez defense.

2006, the year of the trade, he was a -18.1 UZR/150 shortstop.
2007 he was -12.3 UZR/150

That is on par with EE at third base. Once he was moved to second, he was a little better, posting a -8.1 UZR/150 over 101 games in 2008. Still, Lopez is not a strong fielder.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
One problem was Lopez defense.

2006, the year of the trade, he was a -18.1 UZR/150 shortstop.
2007 he was -12.3 UZR/150

That is on par with EE at third base. Once he was moved to second, he was a little better, posting a -8.1 UZR/150 over 101 games in 2008. Still, Lopez is not a strong fielder.

He's not bad at second and I think his bat makes up for it anyway.

bucksfan2
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM

FeLo is exactly the type of player who can help your team out during a pennant race. He may not be a great player or a difference player, but he is a very good roll player. He would look pretty nice in the Reds 2 hole instead of JHJ.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
FeLo is exactly the type of player who can help your team out during a pennant race. He may not be a great player or a difference player, but he is a very good roll player. He would look pretty nice in the Reds 2 hole instead of JHJ.

Even better in the 1 spot.

Hoosier Red
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM

There are so many variables involved. Maybe, he woke up when the Nationals were done with him. Lets face it if Washington has no use for you, its definately time for a wake up call. If he had stayed in Cincy for the whole time, I think he'd be nearing FA anyway so we might not have been able to keep him.

I agree with the point, it's been 3 teams after Washington gave up on him, so they didn't exactly get a whole lot of production either.

bucksfan2
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
There are so many variables involved. Maybe, he woke up when the Nationals were done with him. Lets face it if Washington has no use for you, its definately time for a wake up call. If he had stayed in Cincy for the whole time, I think he'd be nearing FA anyway so we might not have been able to keep him.

I agree with the point, it's been 3 teams after Washington gave up on him, so they didn't exactly get a whole lot of production either.

If you look at FeLo's numbers he was a pretty good player once he got a full time job, and once he got out of Washington. Washington just tends to suck the life out of most players. In a smaller ball park Lopez is a very good asset to have.

westofyou
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Felipe is having an outlier year, love him all you want, but be aware that watching him currently is baseball's version of beer goggles, it ain't what it appears to be.

Roy Tucker
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't become the new Bill Hall.

chicoruiz
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
He'll add some depth, but I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade from Counsell, who always seems to be doing something good on the field.

Far East
07-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't become the new Bill Hall.

Might the Brewers have a package of Hall and/or Counsell in the works in exchange for pitching?

And might that trading partner be the Reds?

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Felipe is having an outlier year, love him all you want, but be aware that watching him currently is baseball's version of beer goggles, it ain't what it appears to be.

Haven't looked but I thought once he got to St. Louis last year he did ok there also.

westofyou
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Haven't looked but I thought once he got to St. Louis last year he did ok there also.

150 ab's of ok. Anytime he does well he has a high BA, it drives up his slugging. But he had as many ab's (almost) in DC as in Cincinnati and he had a 100 point OPS deficiency, mostly because his BA was crap. That said he's OPSing around .790, and if that's his ceiling than I'm less than worried about him no longer being a Red. He could help the Brewers, but he'll need to be used correctly, and he will be replaced defensivly at times too.

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2009, 11:46 AM
150 ab's of ok. Anytime he does well he has a high BA, it drives up his slugging. But he had as many ab's (almost) in DC as in Cincinnati and he had a 100 point OPS deficiency, mostly because his BA was crap. That said he's OPSing around .790, and if that's his ceiling than I'm less than worried about him no longer being a Red. He could help the Brewers, but he'll need to be used correctly, and he will be replaced defensivly at times too.

Very true. IMO vs. us he's a downgrade as Counsell just freaking kills us offensively.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Very true. IMO vs. us he's a downgrade as Counsell just freaking kills us offensively.

Counsell vs. MLB .757
Counsell vs Reds .763 (52 PA)

Jpup
07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Lopez was great against the Reds this year 8 for 24 and 3 walks. .949 OPS.

Lopez Career vs. Reds http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=oppon|CIN|lopezfe01|bat|AB|

1.043 OPS

Counsell Career vs. Reds http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=oppon|CIN|counscr01|bat|AB|

.654 OPS

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Lopez was great against the Reds this year 8 for 24 and 3 walks. .949 OPS.

Lopez Career vs. Reds http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=oppon|CIN|lopezfe01|bat|AB|

1.043 OPS

Counsell Career vs. Reds http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats.cgi?full=1&params=oppon|CIN|counscr01|bat|AB|

.654 OPS

I don't really look at that so much, career numbers to me are meaningless. The point is Counsell works our pitchers to death and has hit us pretty well this season. He doesn't have to be hitting HR's, triples and doubles to be a major annoyance and a nice bridge for Milwaukee to get to their 3-4-5 hitters against us. Lopez isn't a walk in the park but he can be an easier out than counsell can be.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't really look at that so much, career numbers to me are meaningless. The point is Counsell works our pitchers to death and has hit us pretty well this season. He doesn't have to be hitting HR's, triples and doubles to be a major annoyance and a nice bridge for Milwaukee to get to their 3-4-5 hitters against us. Lopez isn't a walk in the park but he can be an easier out than counsell can be.

except that he never has been.;)

Chip R
07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Amazing how good FeLo has become since he was traded from here.

RedEye
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
At least one player involved in The Trade has gone on to have a useful ML career. Amazing how much of a wash that entire thing turned out to be, isn't it?

mbgrayson
07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
At least one player involved in The Trade has gone on to have a useful ML career. Amazing how much of a wash that entire thing turned out to be, isn't it?

What about that middle infielder we got back from the Nationals, who is still playing and doing fairly well (and not Royce Clayton...). Compare his MLB OPS to FeLo....

FeLo
2006 .739
2007 .659
2008 .730
2009 .775

Mystery Player Reds got in the Trade:
2006 .676
2007 .777
2008 .721
2009 .699

Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

reds44
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Brendan Harris?

mbgrayson
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Brendan Harris?

You are correct sir.

TheNext44
07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
What about that middle infielder we got back from the Nationals, who is still playing and doing fairly well (and not Royce Clayton...). Compare his MLB OPS to FeLo....

FeLo
2006 .739
2007 .659
2008 .730
2009 .775

Mystery Player Reds got in the Trade:
2006 .676
2007 .777
2008 .721
2009 .699

Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

I always thought that Brandan Harris was the key to the deal. He was the cornerstone to the Nomar to the Cubs trade.

Couldn't believe it when I read he was sold to the Ray's just a few months later. Made no sense. Not they he would have made a huge difference, but that was a waste of a solid major league player.

mbgrayson
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I always thought that Brandan Harris was the key to the deal. He was the cornerstone to the Nomar to the Cubs trade.

Couldn't believe it when I read he was sold to the Ray's just a few months later. Made no sense. Not they he would have made a huge difference, but that was a waste of a solid major league player.

I was trying to remember who we got for Harris. Here is what Baseball Reference.com says:

January 2, 2007: Sent to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TBD/2007.shtml) by the Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2007.shtml) as part of a conditional deal.

Huh? I think that means we got diddly squat.....

RedEye
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
What about that middle infielder we got back from the Nationals, who is still playing and doing fairly well (and not Royce Clayton...).

Yes, I had forgotten about Harris. Sort of. Anyway, I have to say that I had absolutely no idea that The Trade was going to end up being so inconsequential just a few years later. Two of the principle players involved (Majewski, Kearns) are looking like ML washouts, two of the extras (Wagner, Bray) are looking like never-made-its and two (Lopez, Harris) are looking like role players. That's just not what I had in mind when the deal went down. I was a basket case for three days. I guess that's why I'm here on RedsZone.

nate
07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Didn't Wagner retire?

VR
07-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I was proud to see FeLo start off with a single tonight. Only to be promptly picked off whilst napping at 1st.
Ah, memories.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I was proud to see FeLo start off with a single tonight. Only to be promptly picked off whilst napping at 1st.
Ah, memories.So true.

I can remember how he was asleep at the switch so many times. Unlike Gonzo and JHJ who give good effort, but can't hit for a flip. Wash? Maybe, except when you need a hit. I still have a problem with the different attitudes between defense and offense, but I'm learning.

Ron Madden
07-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Amazing how good FeLo has become since he was traded from here.

I have never claimed that FeLo would lead the Brewers to the promised land.

Just gave my opinion that he can help them more than he will harm them.

LvJ
07-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Not a bad debut. 4-4 with a triple.

Screwball
07-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Not a bad debut. 4-4 with a triple.

I'd give up a reliever for him. A bad, injured one at that.

traderumor
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Not a bad debut. 4-4 with a triple.Instant folk hero status in Milwaukee. Too bad the pitching gave up 8 runs to the Pirates. Milwaukee is starting to look like the all offense, no pitching 21st century Reds that we all grew to love.

Jpup
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Instant folk hero status in Milwaukee. Too bad the pitching gave up 8 runs to the Pirates. Milwaukee is starting to look like the all offense, no pitching 21st century Reds that we all grew to love.

They may go out and trade Gamel and Escobar for Roy Halladay. It worked once.

blumj
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
They may go out and trade Gamel and Escobar for Roy Halladay. It worked once.
It worked to get into the playoffs, but, if I'm Halladay, I'd be holding out for a team that looks like it could manage to at least get into the playoffs even without me, not one where I have to carry them on my back to get them in.