PDA

View Full Version : If this is possible, sign me up

Brutus
07-20-2009, 12:40 AM
I take every rumor with a grain of salt. Even the credible rumors have a very low success rate. So it comes as no surprise I don't see this coming to fruition.

"Big Time Rumor, from Sun Deck (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77351)

That being said, I think this kind of deal is feasible from both sides. And if there's any ounce of truth to the possibility, count me in.

Montero is a terrific prospect. Phillip Hughes would join Volquez, Cueto, Homer and Owings or Maloney to form a pretty good rotation next season. And Melky Cabrera, while I'm not a huge fan, is an upgrade from the current CF.

It won't end up happening. The odds see to that. But it's a deal I'd do.

CTA513
07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
I would be very happy with that trade but I doubt the Yankees would give up all that for Harang and a minor league outfielder.

Brutus
07-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I would be very happy with that trade but I doubt the Yankees would give up all that for Harang and a minor league outfielder.

I could. The thing about the Yankees is they're not afraid to give up talent. And quite honestly, two thirds of that deal (Cabrera and Hughes) are completely expendable because of depth. Neither is a necessity for them. Montero is a great prospect, but I think it's a small price to pay given the market and amount of available talent.

corkedbat
07-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Just the kind of deal the Reds need to make but I'm skeptical that the Yanks do it. I'd include Dickerson if the Yanks included another decent prospect and kept Cabrerra. If they want Stubbs, I want an even better prospect -maybe even sweeten the deal more and send them Weathers to make up for them losing Hughes.

I'll do Harang, Weathers and Stubbs or Dckerson, plus one from among (Burton, Maloney and Roenicke) for Hughes, Montero and Austin Jackson or a young SS (if they have one). :D

Get Hughes in here, let him finish the year out inthe pen and then let LaRussa and Duncan stretch him out next spring. :thumbup:

Pipedream, I know, but I'd love to bring Duncan in and let him see what kind of rotation he could mold from among Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Hughes, Stewart and Wood (wonder if the Giants will still do Sanchez for EdE? - LOL)

cincrazy
07-20-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't think there's any chance the Yanks trade Hughes. If they're unwilling to give him up for Johan Santana, I don't see how they could deal with the New York fans if they gave him up for Aaron Harang.

And this isn't the Harang from a few years ago. Although still a better than average pitcher, he may get his head served to him on a platter in that bandbox they call a ballpark in the Bronx.

It's a deal I'd do 1,000 times out of 1,000. But I don't think the Yanks pull the trigger.

TheNext44
07-20-2009, 02:17 AM
I don't really understand the Cabrera for Stubbs/Dickerson part. Those three are very similar, in fact Dickerson and Cabrera are almost the same player, except Cabrera is two years younger.

I'd love to have Hughes and Montero for Harang, but I'm not sure the Yanks would want him, and if they do, it's probably a mistake. Harang is a big flyball pitcher who gives up a lot of homers. The new Yankee Stadium is giving up homers on a record pace. They are on pace to give up 263 homers this year. Last year GABP gave up 214.
Harang in that park would be a disaster in my opinion.

Still, I'd do it, if the Yanks are willing. Montero is a stud. He's only 19, and he's in AA, and hitting well, .825 OPS, after crushing the ball in the pitcher friendly FSL, .989 OPS.
Right now he's a catcher, but even if he has to move to 1B, he projects to have a bat to justify playing there. He would be the Reds best prospect the second he joins the organization, if he does.

Hughes is the Yank's Bailey. He's struggled after being their best pitching prospect for awhile, but seems to have found his stuff in the pen. Even if he doesn't work out as a starter, he has closer stuff.

reds44
07-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm betting everyone $100 this doesn't happen.

LoganBuck
07-20-2009, 07:21 AM
The source of that rumor may or may not know someone involved in the baseball community, so far he has about a 0% success rate on any bit of info. His predictions on the minor league board regarding the draft, and international signing period have been as good as my German Sheppard's.

redsfandan
07-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Interesting possibility. I'd prefer Arroyo/Dorn/Weathers (and maybe a lesser prospect) for Hughes/Montero. Maybe it is nothing more than a rumour but it is an interesting one.

Homer Bailey
07-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't think there's any chance the Yanks trade Hughes. If they're unwilling to give him up for Johan Santana, I don't see how they could deal with the New York fans if they gave him up for Aaron Harang.

And this isn't the Harang from a few years ago. Although still a better than average pitcher, he may get his head served to him on a platter in that bandbox they call a ballpark in the Bronx.

It's a deal I'd do 1,000 times out of 1,000. But I don't think the Yanks pull the trigger.

Exactly.

I will buy all of my favorite RedZone posters diamond seats to opening day next year if this trade actually happens.

redsfandan
07-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Exactly.

I will buy all of my favorite RedZone posters diamond seats to opening day next year if this trade actually happens.
And how many favorite RedZone posters do you have? None?:confused:

hebroncougar
07-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I'd not be in favor of Dickerson for Cabrera, unless it's imperative to complete the deal. Cabera would give us another pretty punchless outfielder to go with Taveras and makes our lineup even worse.

lollipopcurve
07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Zero chance. Agree with others who note the poster has a track record of posting bogus rumors -- this one is probably the most outrageous yet. Yanks wouldn't consider this for more than 2 seconds.

edabbs44
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Interesting possibility. I'd prefer Arroyo/Dorn/Weathers (and maybe a lesser prospect) for Hughes/Montero. Maybe it is nothing more than a rumour but it is an interesting one.

Wow. The other one is ridiculously in favor of Cincy, but this one is off the charts.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Again, why does anyone mention Dorn as something he isn't. He certainly would make an Arroyo/Weathers deal for Hughes look any better.

Montero is a DH and the Reds don't use one.

alexad
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
The Yankees are getting desperate. They will not get a pitcher from the same division. So they need to look elsewhere and Harang would be the type of pitcher they would want. I would do the trade.

At least we are talking about possible rumors of trades.

How is the #1 pick of a catcher we took last year? If we are looking at this Yankees catcher, where would it leave the former #1 pick?

Jpup
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM
The Yankees are getting desperate. They will not get a pitcher from the same division. So they need to look elsewhere and Harang would be the type of pitcher they would want. I would do the trade.

At least we are talking about possible rumors of trades.

How is the #1 pick of a catcher we took last year? If we are looking at this Yankees catcher, where would it leave the former #1 pick?

Montero isn't going to be a catcher in the bigs from everything I have gathered. Doug might know better.

Nasty_Boy
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Harang may end up in the Bronx, but I can't see the Reds getting that type of return. Montero, according to many scouting services is the Yanks best prospect and he projects to have a big time bat. Hughes is starting to have some success and he looks to finally be getting it together. I would love this deal, but I have a hard time believing it will happen.

Benihana
07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Since when are we re-posting non-credible, "family sourced" rumors from the SunDeck? Isn't the point of the SunDeck to keep this kind of fluff off of this forum?

To echo others' sentiment, I would do this deal in a second but I seriously doubt the Yankees would- especially given Harang's last few outings. If anything, they might consider this type of package for Halladay, but Cashman has gone on record several times against the idea of trading Phil Hughes.

Boss-Hog
07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Isn't the point of the SunDeck to keep this kind of fluff off of this forum?

No.

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Ha, apparently not only does the media overrate the Yankees players but some fans do as well. Cabrera/Montero/Hughes is actually not a great return for a Harang/Dickerson combo. IMO it's fairly close to even especially considering that again Walt and company are more concerned with matters of money, this deal makes perfect sense. Whether or it happens or not is debatable but I think Harang is a traded man walking nonetheless. I hate to see the big guy go he's been an excellent Reds player and big time pro but the writing is on the wall for him. Too bad Bronson isn't the guy going instead.

RedlegJake
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Ha, apparently not only does the media overrate the Yankees players but some fans do as well. Cabrera/Montero/Hughes is actually not a great return for a Harang/Dickerson combo. IMO it's fairly close to even especially considering that again Walt and company are more concerned with matters of money, this deal makes perfect sense. Whether or it happens or not is debatable but I think Harang is a traded man walking nonetheless. I hate to see the big guy go he's been an excellent Reds player and big time pro but the writing is on the wall for him. Too bad Bronson isn't the guy going instead.

I agree with this. As much as some fans overrate the Yanks prospects, others underrate what the Reds players are worth.

As for fluff and the SunDeck, there are some really good threads and posts there. Since this was clearly labeled a rumor and it's engendered an interesting discussion I'd say bringing it to ORG was a good move.

TheNext44
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Montero isn't going to be a catcher in the bigs from everything I have gathered. Doug might know better.

That's probably true that he won't be a catcher. But he has the bat to justify playing first base. He should OPS over .900 if he stays on the same development track he is on.

Still, he is only 20, so it's hard to say how he will turn out. He would be a high risk guy at that age.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
That's probably true that he won't be a catcher. But he has the bat to justify playing first base. He should OPS over .900 if he stays on the same development track he is on.

Still, he is only 20, so it's hard to say how he will turn out. He would be a high risk guy at that age.

Votto
Alonso
Montero

Redundancy department?

Scrap Irony
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
But he's raking in AA and on track to be in the majors by age 22, tops. I'd let him catch as long as his bat is a 900 OPS, as long as he's Eddie Taubensee bad. (For a 900 OPS bat, he could be late-career Piazza bad and I wouldn't care. Much.) The bat more than makes up for the glove, in this case.

And Hughes would make an ideal trade target as well, assuming he's either going to close or start. That would probably mean a deal of Cordero (the Dodgers have interest) or Arroyo (who is undoubtedly available) as well, further reducing payroll and giving Jocketty some cash for the off-season.

Both are big-time trade targets. For this reason, I really doubt the deal gets done. It'd be a no-brainer if true, though.

Roy Tucker
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Along with the Braves, I don't trust the quality of Yankee prospects.

Jpup
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
But he's raking in AA and on track to be in the majors by age 22, tops. I'd let him catch as long as his bat is a 900 OPS, as long as he's Eddie Taubensee bad. (For a 900 OPS bat, he could be late-career Piazza bad and I wouldn't care. Much.) The bat more than makes up for the glove, in this case.

And Hughes would make an ideal trade target as well, assuming he's either going to close or start. That would probably mean a deal of Cordero (the Dodgers have interest) or Arroyo (who is undoubtedly available) as well, further reducing payroll and giving Jocketty some cash for the off-season.

Both are big-time trade targets. For this reason, I really doubt the deal gets done. It'd be a no-brainer if true, though.

more cash to stick in Bob's pocket. No way the Reds get Hughes for Harang or Arroyo. I would rather have Harang at this point, but Hughes is about the only thing the Yankees have to trade.

OTOH, I could see the Yankees getting Harang and sending Joba back to the pen, which would be ignorant, but they do silly things up there.

RedEye
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM

I think we'd all prefer that option--but IMO it's even less likely than the original rumor, which is... not likely.

cincrazy
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't know much about Montero, but I like what I see from Hughes. I would do Harang and Dickerson for Hughes straight up. That's how much I like Hughes.

And I think there is a sizable difference between Dickerson and Cabrera. Melky has never shown the ability to get on base, whereas that's the one thing that has saved Dickerson at times this year. Dickerson is a better player than Melky. But I still send him away for Hughes.

KoryMac5
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Hughes over the last few games has figured things out and stabilized the Yankees bullpen. He is throwing very well his last few appearences. I would imagine the Yankees would only include Hughes in a deal for a front line starter (Doc). Harang on that Yankee staff would be the number 4 guy can't see them giving all that up for Aaron.