PDA

View Full Version : Damn Dodgers (An old/dead rivalry)

Cedric
07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Damn realignment. I hate the Dodgers more than the Cubs. THIS was the best rivalry in baseball in the 70's/80's. My opinion. I grew up hearing my dad ridicule Tommy Lasorda any chance he could.

Hopefully the Reds break this losing streak and somehow in the future we play these guys in the playoffs. The 1995 sweep was one of my best baseball memories.

Anyone else got Dodger rivalry memories they want to share?

traderumor
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I remember my dad taking a "shortcut" on our way to a sold out DHer, prob circa 1974-1975, which caused two inevitable occurrences--mom and dad started fighting since he wouldn't ask for directions, we eventually got there in about the third inning to sit in our third base line red seats that we ordered shortly after receiving the mailer for tickets. He also left the gas lid open, so every car that passed us in the bumper to bumper traffic and at lights let us know "hey, you're gas lid is open." Thanks, we didn't know that.

I don't remember a thing about the games, except it was hotter than hades.

traderumor
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
One of my first games was a Businessman's Special. My uncle, who was Pres. of Central Trust at the time, got us tickets in the first row by the Dodgers' bullpen. Andy Messersmith was starting and reached out and shook my hand as I leaned over the railing. Although I have never been much star struck, Messersmith's gesture was huge for an 8 or 9 year old boy, so I always rooted for the guy.

Chip R
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Loved to hate the Dodgers back in the day.

VR
07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Bunch of pretty boys compared to the BRM, that's how I had em pegged.

George Anderson
07-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Bunch of pretty boys compared to the BRM, that's how I had em pegged.

That is how I saw them to.

Along with their rollypolly, tub of goo manager who had to me an uneasy way of hugging all his girly boy players.

westofyou
07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
In the 70's it was intense, but not in that completely hateful manner, sure they were Hollywood and stock full of ex outfielders playing in the infield, but their outfield was made up of outsiders like Dusty, Monday and Reggie. I used to fear the Phillies more back then.
BUT....I hated their pitchers, they were the difference in 77/79 and I envied them for that. Later in life I learned of Park Factors and spitballs and realized I hated Tommy Lasorda more than the whole team (except Garvey.. I HATED Garvey, who would comb his hair prior to TV interviews after the game)
That said I learned to really hate the Dodgers living i Giants country, if you think as a Reds fan you hated the Dodgers you know nothing of hate, the Dodger may not care about the Giants, but the fans in the Bay loath the Dodgers in a way that is hard to match, just as intense as it gets in MLB

reds1869
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
As a relative youngster I've never really known the Dodger rivalry except as a concept. I do remember my grandpa hating them with a passion and he always went out of his way to get tickets when they were in town. We'd drive over from West Virginia and stay in town for the entire series. He died when I was very young but if I'm honest one of the reasons I love the Reds is my memories of going to Riverfront with him.

cumberlandreds
07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Damn realignment. I hate the Dodgers more than the Cubs. THIS was the best rivalry in baseball in the 70's/80's. My opinion. I grew up hearing my dad ridicule Tommy Lasorda any chance he could.

Hopefully the Reds break this losing streak and somehow in the future we play these guys in the playoffs. The 1995 sweep was one of my best baseball memories.

Anyone else got Dodger rivalry memories they want to share?

I agree with you realignment killed a great rivalry. If it has stayed the same it may have died anyway considering the way both teams have gone. But still in the 70's and 80's there wasn't a better rivalry.I attended the famous doubleheader of 7-1-1973 that may have set off this rivalry. I've mentioned that a lot on here so I won't go into that again. It was always good to beat LaSorda. I always hated his bragging on the Dodgers and never could stand Garvey either. I thought he was a fake then and later proved to be. It's now a long dead rivalry that probably never will be resurrected. I'm glad I was around in it's hey day though.

Red in Chicago
07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Always hated the Dodgers and everything blue. The one exception for me was Reggie Smith. I had no ill will towards him for some reason. Couldn't stand Garvey and his "All American" phony smile. Hated Russell, just because he wasn't Davey. Lopes and that mustache...ugh. The Penguin, forget about it. Rick Monday..oy vey. Yeager, just despised him. Don Sutton, probably one of my all time least favorite pitchers. I could go on, but I'm getting angry just thinking about them all again.

nate
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
The Dodgers are my second favorite NL team. I had a Steve Garvey poster as a kid. Ron Cey was my favorite Dodger and Vin Scully is my all time favorite announcer.

Heretic, I know!

RANDY IN INDY
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Hated them. Saw Lasorda get thrown out during a double header around Memorial Day one year. The crowd went nuts. They all hated him. Hasn't been the same since they moved out of the NL West. That was a great rivalry.

RANDY IN INDY
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Some that I hated that others haven't mentioned. Jimmy Wynn (damn toy cannon) Bobby Valentine, Bill Buckner, Joe Ferguson, Steve Yeager (Never mention him in the same breath as Johnny Bench, Vin Scully) Tom Paciorek, Willie Crawford, Manny Mota, Von Joshua (man I couldn't stand him) and those pitchers. Claude Osteen (why'd the Reds trade him?) Al Downing, Tommy John, Charlie Hough and that freakin knuckleball, Rick Rhoden, Burt Hooten, Doug Rau, Mike Marshall. Listing those names still makes my blood boil. Still hate 'em.

RedFanAlways1966
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Hated them too. They were the main rival for my fav team when I was a kid. I always disliked catcher Joe Ferguson the most. Don't know why, but he was the guy I disliked more than others. I did root for them in 1974, 1977 and 1978 in the WS. Only b/c they were National League and I didn't like any team (except the Tigers) from that other league.

I did like Walter Alston and Steve Yeager. Alston always seemed like a good guy and was from Ohio (Miami grad). Yeager played HS ball in Dayton (Meadowdale) and his nephew went to elementary school with me.

I still root for anyone but the Dodgers to win the NL West. Just a thing from the old days that makes me root against them today.

nate
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I once saw Eric Davis hit a grand slam for the Dodgers against the Reds at Dodger stadium. Brutal.

RANDY IN INDY
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Hated them too. They were the main rival for my fav team when I was a kid. I always disliked catcher Joe Ferguson the most. Don't know why, but he was the guy I disliked more than others. I did root for them in 1974, 1977 and 1978 in the WS. Only b/c they were National League and I didn't like any team (except the Tigers) from that other league.

I did like Walter Alston and Steve Yeager. Alston always seemed like a good guy and was from Ohio (Miami grad). Yeager played HS ball in Dayton (Meadowdale) and his nephew went to elementary school with me.

I still root for anyone but the Dodgers to win the NL West. Just a thing from the old days that makes me root against them today.

Yeager was born in my hometown, Huntington, WV. Still couldn't stand him.

RANDY IN INDY
07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Remember this about Yeager:

In 1976, Yeager was injured when a piece of Bill Russell's bat shattered and hit him in the neck while in the on-deck circle, piercing his esophagus. He had nine pieces of wood taken out of his neck in 98 minutes of surgery. After the incident, Dodger trainer Bill Buhler invented and patented a throat protector that hangs from the catcher's mask. It was soon worn by most catchers around the Majors and other leagues.

GAC
07-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm looking forward to the end of August RZ get-together vs the Dodgers.

Bring bail money. :D

RANDY IN INDY
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Of all the Dodgers, I think that I hated Sutton and his sandpaper the most.

GAC
07-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Do you think ex-Dodger Baker will throw this series?

Or will he even have to? ;)

RFS62
07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
ESPN did a series of commercials using bobblehead dolls for their baseball broadcasts several years ago.

One of them had a voice-over of a Tommy Lasorda sound-alike as the doll was being painted in blue. Lasorda's imitator had his traditional "I bleed Dodger blue" diatribe going, as the paint kept piling on the Dodger bobblehead. It was hilarious, totally making fun of Lasorda and his tired act.

That, and the nightly replay of Norm Charleton steamrolling Mike Scioscia on the opening of Baseball Tonight are the highlight of ESPN's existence, as far as I'm concerned.

I pretty much feel about the Cubs now the way I felt about the Dodgers back in the day.

George Anderson
07-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I really think the Dodgers of the 70's and early 80's would have been so much better if they had a more competent SS other than Bill Russell. Lets face it as much as we hated them Garvey, Lopes, Sutton, Cey, Baker, Smith etc were all pretty good players, but I think hands down the biggest hole in that lineup was Bill Russell. He just pretty much sucked.

traderumor
07-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I really think the Dodgers of the 70's and early 80's would have been so much better if they had a more competent SS other than Bill Russell. Lets face it as much as we hated them Garvey, Lopes, Sutton, Cey, Baker, Smith etc were all pretty good players, but I think hands down the biggest hole in that lineup was Bill Russell. He just pretty much sucked.And guess who the last of that group to be with the team was?

RedsBaron
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I hated the Dodgers in the 1970s. Since the Dodgers have been in LA about the only player on their team I really liked was Sandy Koufax.
Funny thing is that, while the Brooklyn Dodgers were before my time, after reading "The Boys of Summer" and a few other books about the Dodgers of that era, there were a number of 1950s Dodgers I do like, including Jackie, Campy, the Duke and Erskine.

Ron Madden
07-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Loved to hate the Dodgers back in the day.

I still hate those SOBs. ;)

Ron Madden
07-21-2009, 03:08 AM
I hated Tommy Lasorda more than any of'em followed pretty close by Ron Cey and Steve Garvey.

I hated the Dodgers of the 60s too, Don Drysdale, Maury Wills and Wes Parker. I hated them in the 80s, 90s and I still hate'em today.

The only other team I really hate now days are the Cubs but I still hate the Dodgers more.

RANDY IN INDY
07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah, I hated the Dodgers in the 1970s. Since the Dodgers have been in LA about the only player on their team I really liked was Sandy Koufax.
Funny thing is that, while the Brooklyn Dodgers were before my time, after reading "The Boys of Summer" and a few other books about the Dodgers of that era, there were a number of 1950s Dodgers I do like, including Jackie, Campy, the Duke and Erskine.

I liked Koufax, too, RedsBaron.

dfs
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I once saw Eric Davis hit a grand slam for the Dodgers against the Reds at Dodger stadium. Brutal.
Oh, that's just wrong. Hurts to even think about that.

IowaRed
07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I hated them with a passion and it's one (of many) reasons why the Baker hiring made me nuts. Garvey, Cey, Smith, Sutton, Hooten, Lopes, Lasorda, Valenzuela, Reuss, Forster, and any Dodger catcher, I despised them all. I even hated them worse than the Cubs...not anymore though

Unassisted
07-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Surprised no one mentioned in this thread that the Reds haven't won a game at Dodger Stadium in 4 years.

RichRed
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Of all the Dodgers, I think that I hated Sutton and his sandpaper the most.

I hated, and continue to hate, his stupid hair.

RichRed
07-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I hated them with a passion and it's one (of many) reasons why the Baker hiring made me nuts. Garvey, Cey, Smith, Sutton, Hooten, Lopes, Lasorda, Valenzuela, Reuss, Forster, and any Dodger catcher, I despised them all. I even hated them worse than the Cubs...not anymore though

And Dusty is connected to the Dodgers AND Cubs. That hire made me sick to my stomach.

traderumor
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
And Dusty is connected to the Dodgers AND Cubs. That hire made me sick to my stomach.Consider it leaving the dark side :)

GAC
07-21-2009, 09:07 PM
The Reds-Dodger rivalry of the 70's was fantastic and very intense because you had two quality, talented teams, managed by two HOF managers, battling each other and going back and forth. It just didn't get any better then that.

From 1970-79.... the Reds won the division 6 times. The Dodgers 3. And of those 6 division titles that the Reds won, five times the Dodgers finished 2nd to them. And of the 3 division titles the Dodgers won, the Reds finished 2nd to them in every one of those years.

THAT WAS A RIVALRY!

It's fun to hate the Cubs, and Cub fans.... but it doesn't even come close.

How can the Reds be considered anyone's rival when you look at the product they've put on the field for the last decade?

It's fun to hate the Cubs, and their fans; but it still doesn't even come close IMO.

Cooper
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I remember listening to an important September game in 73 or 74....had to go to school and the next morning (i was 10). my dad taught at school so we had an early schedule. we would listen to the game and try to get our sleep....dad would put the radio in the hallway so i could hear it in my room.

anyways, it was late at night and around the 7th inning -reds up 6-3. jimmy wynn hits a gland slam and both dad and i from seperate rooms yelled out "crap". we had both been in bed for hours, but that slam was so sickening to both of us that we yelled it out in the middle of the night.

dad and i still hate the dodgers. heck, i still hate jimmy wynn.

westofyou
07-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I remember listening to an important September game in 73 or 74....had to go to school and the next morning (i was 10). my dad taught at school so we had an early schedule. we would listen to the game and try to get our sleep....dad would put the radio in the hallway so i could hear it in my room.

anyways, it was late at night and around the 7th inning -reds up 6-3. jimmy wynn hits a gland slam and both dad and i from seperate rooms yelled out "crap". we had both been in bed for hours, but that slam was so sickening to both of us that we yelled it out in the middle of the night.

os Angeles Dodgers 7, Cincinnati Reds 1

Day
Game Played on Sunday, September 15, 1974 (D) at Dodger Stadium

CIN N 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 1 6 0
LA N 0 0 0 0 0 2 5 0 x - 7 6 1
BATTING
Cincinnati Reds AB R H RBI BB SO PO A
Rose lf 4 0 1 0 1 0 3 0
Morgan 2b 3 0 0 0 1 1 4 1
Bench c 4 0 0 0 0 2 7 0
Perez 1b 3 0 0 0 1 1 5 0
Driessen 3b 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 1
Chaney 3b 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Geronimo cf 4 1 2 0 0 0 3 0
Concepcion ss 2 0 0 0 1 0 1 3
Griffey rf 4 0 0 0 0 2 1 0
Norman p 3 0 1 1 0 2 0 0
Borbon p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
McEnaney p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Crowley ph 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Totals 32 1 6 1 4 9 24 6
BATTING -
2B: Driessen (21,off Sutton); Crowley (11,off Sutton).
SH: Concepcion (5,off Sutton).
Team LOB: 9.
BASERUNNING -
SB: Perez (1,2nd base off Sutton/Yeager); Geronimo (8,2nd base off Sutton/Yeager).
Los Angeles Dodgers AB R H RBI BB SO PO A
Lopes 2b 4 1 1 0 0 0 1 1
Buckner lf 2 2 1 0 1 0 3 0
Wynn cf 3 2 1 4 1 0 2 0
Garvey 1b 3 1 2 2 1 0 7 0
Cey 3b 3 0 0 0 1 1 1 2
Ferguson rf 3 0 0 1 1 1 2 0
Russell ss 4 0 0 0 0 2 1 2
Yeager c 4 1 1 0 0 1 10 0
Sutton p 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0
Totals 29 7 6 7 5 7 27 5
FIELDING -
DP: 1. Garvey.
E: Cey (19).
BATTING -
2B: Garvey (30,off Norman).
HR: Wynn (31,7th inning off Borbon 3 on 1 out); Garvey (21,7th inning off Borbon
0 on 1 out).
SH: Sutton (8,off Borbon).
HBP: Buckner (4,by Norman).
IBB: Cey (12,by Borbon); Buckner (10,by Borbon).
Team LOB: 5.
BASERUNNING -
SB: Buckner (28,2nd base off Norman/Bench).
PITCHING
Cincinnati Reds IP H R ER BB SO HR BFP
Norman L(11-12) 5.1 2 2 2 3 4 0 22
Borbon 1 4 5 5 2 0 2 9
McEnaney 1.2 0 0 0 0 3 0 5
Totals 8 6 7 7 5 7 2 36
HBP: Norman (2,Buckner).
IBB: Borbon 2 (15,Cey,Buckner).
Los Angeles Dodgers IP H R ER BB SO HR BFP
Sutton W(16-9) 9 6 1 1 4 9 0 37
Umpires: HP - Ed Sudol, 1B - Lee Weyer, 2B - Bob Engel, 3B - Frank Pulli
Time of Game: 2:35 Attendance: 52116

RFS62
07-21-2009, 11:39 PM

That's a great story.

:beerme:

cumberlandreds
07-22-2009, 09:30 AM

:beerme: Great story!

It's also hard to have a rivalry when you can't beat them anymore. :(

OldRightHander
07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I have fond memories of that rivalry, but as has been said before, the thing that made it great was the quality of both teams, not to mention the tradition of both organizations. The Cubs will never hold a candle to the Dodgers in that regard, because with the Dodgers you had to at least have a grudging respect for them; you see what they've done and you can respect it and consider them a worthy opponent. What do we have with the Cubs? All you have to say is "1908" and it's case closed.

savafan
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM

It broke my heart when Davis was traded to LA

GAC
07-22-2009, 05:09 PM
The Penguin because of the way he ran the bases. It was funny.

Heck of a 3Bman too.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/ron_cey_autograph.jpg

Davey "Cheech Marin" Lopes. Javier Valentin had nothing on Davey. ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XKbxRgHfHsw/R8yFNtB71UI/AAAAAAAABP8/GjYKjCrMPbg/s400/11b2_1.JPG

And pretty boy Steve Garvey

http://www.topekasizzlers.com/0f5d2e80.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I always called him, Steve "Garbage." He looked even more like garbage in the "taco" uniform with the Padres.