PDA

View Full Version : 7/20/09: Redlegs in Hollywood (CIN v. LAD)

Pages : 1 [2]

Doc. Scott
07-21-2009, 01:13 AM
I thought it was bad when the Reds blew a 3-0 lead tonight.
Then I looked at the box scores and see that the Twins just blew a 6 run lead and are now down 14-13.

And to Oakland, a team that usually needs as many games as we do to score 14 runs.

Doc. Scott
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
It's 6-foot-4, 295-pound Jonathan Broxton on to blow smoke and earn saves. And then, after the game, eat cheeseburgers.

His 98-mph first pitch to Hanigan is meekly popped up to second. One down.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
1st pitch pop out by Hanigan. 0-3 tonight and out one. The odds are all of a sudden enormous.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Folks, this one is over.

Doc. Scott
Gomes up. Maybe he'll see more than one pitch this time.

99 mph fastball way high. 98-mph fastball down the pipe, 1-1. Did I mention batters are hitting .148 off Broxton this year? 22 hits in 42-plus innings with 70 Ks. 99-mph fastball is swung through. Century pitch way high, 2-2. Another century taken, strike three. Two outs.

mbgrayson
Dodgers surpassed 2 million in attendance tonight. Wow.

Gomes Ks looking. Two out.

CTA513
Folks, this one is over.

It has been ever since Owings blew the 3-0 lead

Doc. Scott
07-21-2009, 01:17 AM
This leaves us in the hands of Willy Taveras. Do you think Dusty gave him the "Rudy, step into the first pitch and let it hit you" Bad News Bears speech?

mbgrayson
07-21-2009, 01:17 AM
And this one belongs to the Dodgers....10 straight now.

Doc. Scott
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Willy watches a 99-mph fastball, strike one. Sticks his bat out and hits the next one, but it's a short fly gloved by Ethier in right.

Dodgers take game one, 7-5. We can't blow three-run leads like that.

CTA513
98 MPH was the slowest pitch Broxton threw tonight

WVRedsFan
Reds score 5 runs, a tremendous run scoring game for them and lose because of poor pitching. Randy Newman sings "I Love LA" in the background as the death rattle is obvious for this team. I hate the Dodgers. Did I say that earlier?

Doc. Scott
07-21-2009, 01:19 AM
And to Oakland, a team that usually needs as many games as we do to score 14 runs.

And RedsZone Boyfriend Matt Holliday has two homers, two doubles, and six RBI.

WVRedsFan
07-21-2009, 01:23 AM
And RedsZone Boyfriend Matt Holliday has two homers, two doubles, and six RBI.

What makes me think that once with the Reds (as improbable as it is), he would do well, gain the disfavor of the fans who would cite his big salary, and regress to .260/.290/.743 as fans wished for Mike Cameron or Ryan Freel?

There is no hope. All who enter, perish.

Orenda
07-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Interesting conversation. George taking the hard line and Chris taking the old school line that the press should not report their suspicions, making Watergate and other national scandals that proved to be crimes non-important. You would think George would take that stand, but we find out it's the Creeper. You just never know...:)

That's quite a leap there. What I heard was that Chris didn't feel that the press and broadcasters should have to go out of their way to report a suspicion or rumor if they can't provide substantial supporting evidence for an accusation. Also known as valid journalism. I believe George was trying to make the argument that everyone is to blame for allowing PED's to be accepted in the culture of baseball, while Chris countered that the players association and commissioner should share the majority of the blame.

mbgrayson
07-21-2009, 01:25 AM
I thought it was bad when the Reds blew a 3-0 lead tonight.
Then I looked at the box scores and see that the Twins just blew a 6 run lead and are now down 14-13.

Actually, looking at the boxscore, the Twins were up 12-2 in the middle of the third. They now trail 13-14. So they blew a 10 run lead...

WVRedsFan
07-21-2009, 01:29 AM
That's quite a leap there. What I heard was that Chris didn't feel that the press and broadcasters should have to go out of their way to report a suspicion or rumor if they can't provide substantial supporting evidence for an accusation. Also known as valid journalism. I believe George was trying to make the argument that everyone is to blame for allowing PED's to be accepted in the culture of baseball, while Chris countered that the players association and commissioner should share the majority of the blame.

Well, I heard it differently, but that's OK. At one point, George mentioned body changes and Chris said he didn't want to know what caused it--a common argument from those who are apologists for the use of PED's. It matters not, but in this case, suspicions have been pretty regularly verified. It also started with Chris' sympathy for Mannie's comeback from suspension, which was really surprising from Chris. You cheat, you get the long arm of the law. That's the way it is (and I'm not Walter Cronkrite--RIP).

Orenda
07-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Well, I heard it differently, but that's OK. At one point, George mentioned body changes and Chris said he didn't want to know what caused it--a common argument from those who are apologists for the use of PED's. It matters not, but in this case, suspicions have been pretty regularly verified. It also started with Chris' sympathy for Mannie's comeback from suspension, which was really surprising from Chris. You cheat, you get the long arm of the law. That's the way it is (and I'm not Walter Croncrite--RIP).

Ok we definitely were hearing different things. I heard Chris say that "it hurts his heart" to see Manny pass a guy like Mickey Mantle on the all-time HR list due to Manny's use of PED.

Ron Madden
07-21-2009, 04:01 AM
So far, the Reds have a 3-0 lead despite bad baserunning, bad fielding on a bunt, and bad pitching.

We all know where that is likely to lead.

Owings pitching to Ramirez. Really.

Bad fielding on that bunt? You're full o'beans.

Ron Madden
07-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Watch the replay of Furcal's bunt. He squares, bunts a hard pop up all the way to third base. EE charges.

Yea, when a hitter squares to bunt the third baseman charges in.

:confused:

reds44
07-21-2009, 04:18 AM
It was just of a case of Brandon being Brandon.

Brandon Phillips was thrown out at second for the first out of the game Monday night. The Reds took a 3-0 lead of the same play. But when you look back what would become a 7-5 Reds to the Los Angeles Dodgers, it turned out be huge play.

“We should have should have gotten more than that in the first inning,” Dusty Baker said. “You got to hustle on that ball there. It’s a totally different inning. That was a rally killer for us.”

The Reds were facing Jason Schmidt, who was making his first start in 25 months, and it looked like he might not get out of the first. But Phillips gave him an out when he desperately needed one.

Willy Taveras started the game with a triple. Jerry Haiston doubled him in. Joey Votto hit one off the wall in right for a long single. Hairston had to hold at third. Votto stole second. He went to third and Hairston scored on Russell Martin's throwing error.

Phillips hit a very catchable ball to right. It fell in front of Andre Ethier. Phillips, who did not break hard out of the batter’s box, was out at second. Votto scored to make it 3-0.

“I was happy to get the RBI in,’ Phillips said. “I was happy I finally did something with runners in scoring position. I hit the ball to the outfield. I was like ‘damn, I missed it.’ I put my head down.

“I didn’t know he missed it until I looked back up. I could’ve did worse and not get the run in at all.”

At this point, Phillips seemed to realize what he was saying didn't sound good. So he added:

“I (messed) up. That’s my second time this year not hustling. It won’t happen again. I (messed) up.”

Baker was still livid after the game.

“You’ve got to play hard all the time,” Baker said. “That was big, real big. We had him on the ropes. We killed the rally.”

Phillips has a history of this.

“Hey, man, we’ve all talked to him until we’re blue in the face,” Baker said. “This was going on long before I got here.”

mth123
07-21-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm not in favor of a manager calling a player out in the paper and it doesn't seem like its Dusty's style, but this is habitual with Phillips and I see no reason for kid gloves. I like Dusty's quote "This was going on before I got here."

Phillips says "it won't happen again." He said that before and it just happened again. I'm in the camp that thinks Phillips is a net positive and helps the team, but its trading season and I think Dusty has more clout than is acknowledged on player moves. Hmmm....

Ltlabner
07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Watch the replay of Furcal's bunt. He squares, bunts a hard pop up all the way to third base. EE charges.

What did EE do wrong then?

When the batter squares the 3B charges, that's not anything new.

flyer85
07-21-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm not in favor of a manager calling a player out in the paper and it doesn't seem like its Dusty's style, but this is habitual with Phillips and I see no reason for kid gloves. I like Dusty's quote "This was going on before I got here."
Until the Reds do something besides just talking it won't make a difference. benching him for 2-3 games MIGHT get his attention.

nate
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
What did EE do wrong then?

When the batter squares the 3B charges, that's not anything new.

That's what I was wondering. That ball was popped almost to the outfield.

oneupper
07-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Just finished watching the condensed game.
Hanigan did great throwing out three guys, plus the lead runner on a bunt, but what kind of scouting did the Dodgers do there? Sending Blake and Martin (twice)?

It could have been worse.

traderumor
07-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I went to bed after the 5th, had guessed the final would be about 10-3, so I was surprised to see the final. I usually don't get bent out of shape about BP bonehead plays, but I have to agree with Dusty's take on that play and thought the same thing as I watched it happen.