PDA

View Full Version : Hanigan

CySeymour
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Rob Neyer with a cool little blurb about Ryan Hannigan in his blog today:

Does anyone know why it's taken Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan so long to get a real shot in the majors? The guy's got a .383 career on-base percentage in the minors -- including .376 in Triple-A -- and if last night's performance against the Dodgers is any indication, he's got a killer throwing arm. Hanigan turns 29 in a few weeks, and don't be surprised if he's still playing when he's 39.

mrherd05
07-21-2009, 01:14 PM
And he has 8 RBI's. Leaving out that part.

CySeymour
07-21-2009, 01:20 PM

He didn't say he was a perfect player or even an all-star, now did he?

BigPoppa
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

The guy has 50 hits in 156 AB's.........and he's drawn 24 walks. You can't use such a skewed stat as RBI's against the guy. This team is stinking up the League in run production. All Hanigan can do is get on base......it's not his fault that Dusty has been hitting him downorder and there's nobody on base when he comes up.

And last night's game was a Catcher's defensive clinic.

Yeah...............................I'm a 29 fan.

Moosie52
07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Hanigan is a welcome change from the usual suspects like Corky Miller and Javy Valentine: a "backup" catcher who outperforms the high priced guy.

GIDP
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Ryan Hannigan is looking like the exact thing Id look for in a catcher. have an OBP and be good behind the plate. I'm tired of seeing these power threats with sub .300 OBPs and terrible throwing arms.

Hes exactly what this team needs. A heavy dose of OBP.

Kingspoint
07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
:(

kfm
07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
The guy has 50 hits in 156 AB's.........and he's drawn 24 walks. You can't use such a skewed stat as RBI's against the guy. This team is stinking up the League in run production. All Hanigan can do is get on base......it's not his fault that Dusty has been hitting him downorder and there's nobody on base when he comes up.

I like Hanigan and hope he pans out but the reason he has so few RBI's is because he can't get a hit with runners on base, and he gets even worse with RISP (small sample size). Having said that, I am willing to give the guy a chance to prove that he can actually hit over .200 with RISP.

GIDP
07-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Id take a .360 obp from my catcher every day of hte week.

Kingspoint
07-21-2009, 08:10 PM

....and when you consider his OBP in AAA was higher than that and that his lifetime minor league OBP was that high, too, there is no surprise here.

The only surprise is that it took two injuries for him to get playing time.

kfm
07-21-2009, 08:12 PM

I like the OBP as well, but if he gets 600 at bats and is still this bad with RISP, I think we will all be disappointed.

Kingspoint
07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I like the OBP as well, but if he gets 600 at bats and is still this bad with RISP, I think we will all be disappointed.

He who bats 8th does not get pitches to hit w/ RISP. He gets pitched around.

Captain Hook
07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't explain in words how mad I'll be if Hanigan does keep it up and then Ramon comes back to take over the everyday catching job.I'd likely loose my posting privileges.

kfm
07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
He who bats 8th does not get pitches to hit w/ RISP. He gets pitched around.

Then he should walk more especially last night when he struck out with RISP and Micah Owings on deck. I understand that a guy in that position depending on the number of outs and the time of the game is going to get pitched around, but I seriously doubt that is pathetic average wit RISP simply comes down to he never gets a pitch to hit. I hope that he turns it around and I like his OBP, but he cannot continue to be this bad with RISP and I think he will turn it around.

GIDP
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
give me a line up of people who hit with RISP and suck the rest of the time and Ill show you a terrible team.

Now give me a team that is actually good at the plate outside of a cross section of their ABs and Ill show you a good team.

big boy
07-22-2009, 02:01 AM
How about answering the question? What took Hannigan so long to get to the big leagues?

Captain Hook
07-22-2009, 02:14 AM
How about answering the question? What took Hannigan so long to get to the big leagues?

I'm not sure what took him so long.In the minors he hit for avg., got on base and played defense just about as good as he has done in the bigs so far.I guess it could have been because we had such great catchers blocking him.How is a young guy supposed to ever get a chance when you have David Ross,Javier Valentine,Jason Larue and especially Paul Bako.

CySeymour
07-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Who really knows. The team had given out bad contracts to catchers, so they felt obligated to continually carry them on the big league roster. But like I said earlier, I am not saying Hanigan is an all-star, just a solid big league catcher.

And hey, it took Dazzy Vance until he was 31 until he stuck in the majors, so it isn't like there aren't cases when players don't come up until later and still produce.

bgwilly31
07-22-2009, 09:39 PM

not to mention Dusty was batting him way down in the lineup when he did get a chance to play. Could be part of the reason.

Griffey012
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM

It goes back to the whole moneyball idea...I am sure Hanigan didn't have a "baseball body" and he probably didn't get much money thrown at him. So instead of pushing along those who perform, they want to push along those who have the highest ceiling and they have thrown the most money at. Not to mention we have had constant management who is infatuated with an average fluke season (see David Ross).

bgwilly31
07-22-2009, 11:53 PM

who cares. :confused: