PDA

View Full Version : Adam LaRoche traded to the Red Sox

Benihana
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/07/22/adam-laroche-trade-close.aspx

savafan
07-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Where's he gonna play?

blumj
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Not the Pirate I wanted at all. I don't get it.

blumj
07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Where's he gonna play?
Pawtucket?

Tom Servo
07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Wasn't LaRoche saying a while ago that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career?

BRM
07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Where's he gonna play?

Good question. Precursor to another deal perhaps?

Benihana
07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Where's he gonna play?

1B. Youkilis to 3B. Lowell is in purgatory with his injuries.

RedsManRick
07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Interesting. I expected him to wind up in SF. I'm guessing Lowell isn't going to make a full comeback.

BRM
07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
1B. Youkilis to 3B. Lowell is in purgatory with his injuries.

But he's healthy at the moment isn't he?

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2009, 12:35 PM
So the Pirates are the new Red Sox farm club.

Can Freddy Sanchez play SS?

Benihana
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
So the Pirates are the new Red Sox farm club.

Can Freddy Sanchez play SS?

Ironically, Sanchez came to the Pirates from the Red Sox (for Jeff Suppan.)

flyer85
07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I am guessing Lowell's hip must be much worse than we have been told.

blumj
07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Sanchez is the Pirate I wanted(back). Lowell just came off the DL a few days ago, but he still looks pretty immobile. If they're replacing him, I'd much prefer someone to play 3B because Youkilis hasn't looked that great over there, either, but he is better than Lowell and LaRoche is a decent upgrade over Kotsay offensively.

Still no word on what they traded for LaRoche.

cumberlandreds
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Wasn't LaRoche saying a while ago that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career?

That's the death nail. Once you say you want to be a Pirate for life they immediatley trade you away. ;)

Chip R
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM
That's the death nail. Once you say you want to be a Pirate for life they immediatley trade you away. ;)

Reverse psychology.

cumberlandreds
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Reverse psychology.

True. If you want out of Pittsburgh just say those words. Viola! You are in Boston. :)

VR
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Pirates are looking for very smart players. Saying you want to be a Pirate for life proves that 'ya ain't so dern smart'

Benihana
07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Apparently the Pirates will receive P Hunter Strickland and SS Argenis Diaz. I don't know much about those guys specifically, but they are hardly top prospects. Looks like the Pirates are going all '03 Reds.

blumj
07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Soxprospects has Diaz(can't hit and already taking up a 40 man roster spot) at #29 and Strickland(20 year old RHP in low A) at #38 on their most recent Red Sox prospects rankings list. Mainly a salary dump.

Benihana
07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
1:09pm: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports that the Pirates are sending cash to the Red Sox to contribute to the remainder of the $7.05MM LaRoche makes this year. They also sent cash to the Yankees in the Eric Hinske deal.

1:02pm: ESPN.com's Keith Law says Diaz's glove could make him a legitimate MLB backup in spite of his bat. Strickland is "probably a reliever at best."

What the hell are the Pirates doing?? A salary dump without the savings?

Team Clark
07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
While they are giving away good players, I'd like Doumit please.

Benihana
07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
While they are giving away good players, I'd like Doumit please.

And Duke/Snell/Maholm.

blumj
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
What the hell are the Pirates doing?? A salary dump without the savings?

But they might be getting an almost legitimate no-hit backup SS and a maybe RH relief pitcher!

Oh, BTW, Argenis Diaz had the 1st major league spring training from hell, it was like Dan Uggla's All Star Game in 2008 every time they stuck him in a game.

Team Clark
07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
And Duke/Snell/Maholm.

Absolutely. All 4 for Weathers. LOL Now I sound like someone on the banana phone.

Jpup
07-22-2009, 03:55 PM
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/07/22/no-cash-included-in-laroche-trade.aspx

No cash included in LaRoche trade By Dejan Kovacevic | 3:03 p.m. Wednesday The Pirates are not including cash in the Adam LaRoche trade. Boston will assume all of his remaining $2.95 million.

Brutus
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I wonder what the emergence of Garrett Jones had to do with this. After today, he's now 9 homers in 67 at-bats. I can't fathom he would keep this up, but to boot he's got a very solid seven walks and a .313 average.

Seemingly, his 'potential' may have contributed to the Pirates' willingness to deal LaRoche.

Spitball
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
With Lowell's health issues, look for LaRoche to pretty much platoon with him in the line-up. Of course, Youkilis will play third when LaRoche is playing. If Lowell goes down again, the Sox are prepared with LaRoche onboard.

klw
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Now the Red Sox have sent Julio Lugo to the Cards for Chris Duncan.
www.mlbtraderumors.com

Brutus
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Now the Red Sox have sent Julio Lugo to the Cards for Chris Duncan.
www.mlbtraderumors.com

Interesting trade. Not sure what either team is really accomplishing with this one.

redsfandan
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting trade. Not sure what either team is really accomplishing with this one. In response to how the deals help the Sox:

The LaRoche deal gives the Sox an option at first if Youk has to switch to 3rd to replace Lowell who tends to miss his share of time and then some. LaRoche is also a much better 2nd half hitter. For his career he's hit .296 .357 .544 .901 with 60 hrs in 1184 plate appearances in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd trade they took a player that they had already dfa'd and got something out of it. It's been reported that Lugo would've been picked up once he cleared waivers by someone (Mets, Cards, etc). But the Sox wouldn't have gotten anything if a team picked him up that way. LaRoche is a FA after this season. 2010 is the last year that Lowell is under contract. They have top prospect Lars Anderson waiting in the wings to eventually take over at 1st. With this trade they have someone they can work on in the minors with the idea that if Lowell misses time and Anderson isn't ready yet (or struggles) they will have another option for 1st that allows Youk to switch to 3rd. If they can help him in the minors Duncan could provide depth/insurance in 2010 until Anderson takes over and they say bye bye to Lowell after the 2010 season.

Neither is the kind of big trade most fans like but now they don't have to worry as much about what to do with 1st/3rd and they didn't give up alot in the process.

Brutus
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
The LaRoche deal gives the Sox an option at first if Youk has to switch to 3rd to replace Lowell who tends to miss his share of time and then some. LaRoche is also a much better 2nd half hitter. For his career he's hit .296 .357 .544 .901 with 60 hrs in 1184 plate appearances in the 2nd half.

In the 2nd trade they took a player that they had already dfa'd and got something out of it. LaRoche is a FA after this season. 2010 is the last year that Lowell is under contract. They have top prospect Lars Anderson waiting in the wings to eventually take over at 1st. It's been reported that Lugo would've been picked up once he cleared waivers by someone (Mets, Cards, etc). But the Sox wouldn't have gotten anything if a team picked him up that way. With this trade they have someone they can work on in the minors with the idea that if Lowell misses time and Anderson isn't ready yet (or struggles) they will have another option for 1st that allows Youk to switch to 3rd. If they can help him in the minors Duncan could provide depth/insurance in 2010 until Anderson takes over and they say bye bye to Lowell after the 2010 season.

Neither is the kind of big trade most fans like but now they don't have to worry as much about what to do with 1st/3rd and they didn't give up alot in the process.

I completely understand the LaRoche trade. It was the Duncan-Lugo trade, however, that I did not quite get. Still don't, really.

I get the need for depth, but it seems they've plenty of that now.

IslandRed
07-22-2009, 07:37 PM
It was the Duncan-Lugo trade, however, that I did not quite get. Still don't, really.

As redsfandan said, they'd already given Lugo the DFA, so it falls under the "something is better than nothing" category, I guess.

RED VAN HOT
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Soxprospects has Diaz(can't hit and already taking up a 40 man roster spot) at #29 and Strickland(20 year old RHP in low A) at #38 on their most recent Red Sox prospects rankings list. Mainly a salary dump.

FYI, I checked our Redzone off-season prospect poll for the Reds. Juan Carlos Sulbaran was #29 and Jordan Smith was #38.

blumj
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I completely understand the LaRoche trade. It was the Duncan-Lugo trade, however, that I did not quite get. Still don't, really.

I get the need for depth, but it seems they've plenty of that now.
The Red Sox would have taken any old thing for Lugo. Seems to me like Duncan was more the thing the Cards wanted to go away than that he was the thing the Red Sox chose.