PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly takes aim at Tiger

kaldaniels
07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=4347419

Here is the article...

Tiger Woods has outgrown those Urkel glasses he had as a kid. Outgrown the crazy hair. Outgrown a body that was mostly neck.

When will he outgrow his temper?

The man is 33 years old, married, the father of two. He is paid nearly $100 million a year to be the representative for some monstrously huge companies, from Nike to Accenture. He is the world's most famous and beloved athlete.

And yet he spent most of his two days at Turnberry last week doing the Turn and Bury. He'd hit a bad shot, turn and bury his club into the ground in a fit. It was two days of Tiger Tantrums -- slamming his club, throwing his club and cursing his club. In front of a worldwide audience.

A whole lot of that worldwide audience is kids. They do what Tiger does. They swing like Tiger, read putts like Tiger and do the celebration biceps pump like Tiger. Do you think for two seconds they don't think it's cool to throw their clubs like Tiger, too?

He's grown in every other way. He's committed, responsible, smart, funny and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we'd be over the conniptions by now.

If there were no six-second delay, Tiger Woods would be the reason to invent it. Every network has been burned by having the on-course microphone open when he blocks one right into the cabbage and starts with the F-bombs. Once, at Doral, he unleashed a string of swear words at a photographer that would've made Artie Lange blush, and then snarled, "'The next time a photographer shoots a [expletive] picture, I'm going to break his [expletive] neck!"

He's grown in every other way. He's committed, responsible, smart, funny, and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we'd be over the conniptions by now.

It's disrespectful to the game, disrespectful to those he plays with and disrespectful to the great players who built the game before him. Ever remember Jack Nicklaus doing it? Arnold Palmer? When Tom Watson was getting guillotined in that playoff to Stewart Cink, did you see him so much as spit? Only one great player ever threw clubs as a pro -- Bobby Jones -- and he stopped in his 20s when he realized how spoiled he looked.

This isn't new. Woods has been this way for years: swearing like a Hooters' bouncer, trying to bury the bottom of his driver into the tee box, flipping his club end over end the second he realizes his shot is way offline.

I can still remember the 1997 Masters -- arguably the most important golf tournament ever played. Woods, then 21, was playing the 15th hole on Sunday. He had just hit a fairway wood out of the rough and was watching it. A young boy came up from behind just to touch him -- just to pat the back of this amazing new superhero. That's when Tiger pulled the club way back over his head and slammed it down, nearly braining the kid he couldn't see behind him. And this was with a huge lead.

Look, in every other case, I think Tiger Woods has been an A-plus role model. Never shows up in the back of a squad car with a black eye. Never gets busted in a sleazy motel with three "freelance models." Never gets so much as a parking ticket. But this punk act on the golf course has got to stop. If it were my son, I'd tell him the same thing: "Either behave or get off the course."

Come to think of it, if I were the president of Nike, I'd tell him the same thing.

Put it this way: Will Tiger let his own two kids carry on in public like that?

I know what you're saying. We see more Tiger tantrums because TV shows every single shot he hits. And I'm telling you: You're wrong. He is one of the few on Tour who do it. And I keep wondering when PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem is going to have the cojones to publicly upbraid him for it.

Golf is a gentlemen's game. Stomping and swearing and carrying on like a Beverly Hills tennis brat might fly in the NBA or in baseball or in football, where less is expected, but golf demands manners. It's your honor. Is my mark in your way? No, I had 6, not 5. Golfers call penalties on themselves. We are our own police. Tiger, police yourself.

Tiger does a boatload of work for kids. He raises millions for his Tiger Woods Learning Center, which has helped teach thousands. But teaching goes the wrong way, too. Tiger is teaching them that if he can be a hissy hothead on the course, they can, too.

I remember Tiger's dad, Earl, telling a story. One day, when Tiger was just a kid, he was throwing his clubs around in a fuming fit when his dad said something like "Tiger, golf is supposed to be fun." And Tiger said, "Daddy, I want to win. That's how I have fun."

Well, it's not fun to watch.

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy/get a kick out of every Tiger outburst.

SunDeck
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
It'd be a wonderful thing if the gallery would just boo him and go to follow someone else at the first outburst. But people won't do it, they think he walks on water. In his defense, for him to miss a shot means an awful lot more than it does for lesser players. The media hang on his every shot and they scrutinize every detail of his game. Playing poorly for him is an event, whereas for the other guys on tour, it's just a missed cut.
Perhaps the next hurdle for him is to get over it.

flyer85
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
His readership numbers must be on the decline

BuckeyeRed27
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm not saying that he should do what he does, but I do feel it at least gives Tiger a human element. He is so good at what he does it's nice to see that when he does occasionally mess up he throws his club in the air like the rest of us.

dsmith421
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Reilly is an absolute genius of the modern age. When he's not regurgitating a column he wrote five years ago, he can always go back to the well for either (1) a treacly melodramatic tearjerker or (2) "won't someone think of the children?" stupidity. And he gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Chip R
07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
It's somewhat immature for him to do that but I can relate because I used to do it myself. I don't think it's that big of a deal unless it's affecting his game. This is just another mediot trying to whine about him. If they aren't writing about how great he is, they are writing about what a jerk he can be on the course.

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm waiting for the day Tiger snaps a club over a knee, or bangs it into his bag.

Anytime I toss a club, I feel better after the toss. For me, it's a great stress reliever.

When I watch Tiger do it, he seems to just get more pissed off. Make the most of those tosses, Tiger!

Chip R
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm waiting for the day Tiger snaps a club over a knee, or bangs it into his bag.

Anytime I toss a club, I feel better after the toss. For me, it's a great stress reliever.

When I watch Tiger do it, he seems to just get more pissed off. Make the most of those tosses, Tiger!

When I was in college, I took a speech class. We had to give 3 speeches. One was persuasive, The other was informative and the 3rd was a "How To" speech. For the last one I picked "How to throw a golf club properly." It was very tongue in cheek and I went over all the steps on how to throw a club.

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
When I was in college, I took a speech class. We had to give 3 speeches. One was persuasive, The other was informative and the 3rd was a "How To" speech. For the last one I picked "How to throw a golf club properly." It was very tongue in cheek and I went over all the steps on how to throw a club.

Which way did you teach?

From the follow-thru position, 2 handed overhand?

Waist level 1 handed backhand?

Waist level 2 handed forehand?

1 handed over the shoulder axe throw?

Those are my 4 favorites

Chip R
07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Which way did you teach?

From the follow-thru position, 2 handed overhand?

Waist level 1 handed backhand?

Waist level 2 handed forehand?

1 handed over the shoulder axe throw?

Those are my 4 favorites

It was the waist level 2 handed forehand.

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
It was the waist level 2 handed forehand.

Excellent choice.

I find you have the most control with that throw.

bucksfan2
07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I was playing in a tournament very early on in my high school career. I used to get mad, grab the ball out of the hole, and throw it at my bag. I did it on one particular disappointing hole, picked up my ball and threw it at my bag in disgust. The coach of an opposing team picked up my ball, put his arm around my shoulder, and said "your better than that". From that moment I quite with my theatrics. I quite slamming my club into the ground. I never really threw my club. If I did anything wrong I would either slam my hand or hat against my thigh. Its just not worth looking like an idiot.

I think something should be done about Tiger. He looks like an idiot out there throwing temper tantrums. You don't see that out of anyone else on the course. The easiest thing to do is to stroke him for unsportsman like conduct. It would fall under that rule and when he would incur enough 2 stroke penalties he would stop his antics.

SunDeck
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not a good enough golfer to get mad on the course. Neither are most golfers.

Hoosier Red
07-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Reilly is an absolute genius of the modern age. When he's not regurgitating a column he wrote five years ago, he can always go back to the well for either (1) a treacly melodramatic tearjerker or (2) "won't someone think of the children?" stupidity. And he gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reilly and Daugherty are really the same guy, they try to take an "everyday Joe" way of looking at things and articulate them. This has value I suppose, but have you ever read something of either of those two and said, "wow that really makes me want to investigate where he was coming from?"

Joe Posnanski's the Greek God of sportswriting here specifically because you get the sense he's trying to investigate an answer before he writes it out.

GIDP
07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Few things are better than hearing him drop and F bomb on live TV.

redsfanmia
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I am over Tiger much like I was and am still over Jordan.

Redhook
07-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy/get a kick out of every Tiger outburst.

I like it too. Whoopty-freaking doo. He's human. He drops F-bombs. So what! I do too. And so do many golfers. This isn't a big deal at all. He's just showing that he cares and doesn't accept mediocrity.

George Foster
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I like it too. Whoopty-freaking doo. He's human. He drops F-bombs. So what! I do too. And so do many golfers. This isn't a big deal at all. He's just showing that he cares and doesn't accept mediocrity.

I guess Jack didn't care....right? Because if you really "care" you throw clubs and show your lack of a vocabulary. I don't respect anyone who curses in front of children and there are plently of children outside the ropes at PGA events.

Betterread
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Tiger looks frustrated frequently these days. That is what I mind. He has tremendous abilities, yet he looks dissatisfied a lot of the time while he is playing. He consistently displays grace and candor while talking to the media. His game is not what it was even last year. That's life, Tiger. He's trying to get back what he had. If he doesn't get it back, will we continue to see petulance and lack of charm from the king?

Chip R
07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Golf is a humbling game. Even for the best golfers in the world.

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM

IMO, golfers have some of the worst mouths around, profanity wise.

While I enjoy a good club throwing tirade, I also enjoy to drop my own profanity bombs, as well as be a tad self depricating and remind myself that I'm a little girl or I'm a woman when I hit a shot fat, or not get a putt to the hole, or underclub and leave it short.

Not the most politically or gender correct, but it gets me thru rounds, and always gets a chuckle out of playing partners.

Who doesn't get a chuckle out of a 6'1" 190 lbs dude calling themself Nancy after a bad shot?

Highlifeman21
07-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I guess Jack didn't care....right? Because if you really "care" you throw clubs and show your lack of a vocabulary. I don't respect anyone who curses in front of children and there are plently of children outside the ropes at PGA events.

Many times golfers within the ropes don't see those outside the ropes b/c they are so focused.

Man, woman, child, elderly. Doesn't matter, they often don't know they are there due to tunnel vision.

texasdave
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Many times golfers within the ropes don't see those outside the ropes b/c they are so focused.

Man, woman, child, elderly. Doesn't matter, they often don't know they are there due to tunnel vision.

Now this is a world-class rationalization. No matter how much "tunnel vision"
they have working, I got this feeling they know the crowd is there. Just a hunch.

RedsManRick
07-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Michael Jordan wasn't the greatest guy either. Kobe constantly scowls. Pujols is often surly. Being the best in the world requires a level of focus, determination, and devotion that most people can't even dream of. Those sponsors signed up for Tiger and profit off of him. So on top of that, he's supposed to be nice when people interfere with him doing his job. He's supposed to say "gosh darnit" when he hits a bad shot.

Rick Reilly has gone downhill quickly since moving to ESPN.

FWIW, put me in with those who think that role models don't have any responsibility to those who idolize them. The good deeds they do, the good examples they set are what should make them idolized in the first place. If you don't like the example they set, communicate that to your kids. Parents and communities should raise kids, not star athletes. If you want your kid to learn good behavior on the golf course, teach him.

Betterread
07-22-2009, 11:50 PM
IMO, golfers have some of the worst mouths around, profanity wise.

While I enjoy a good club throwing tirade, I also enjoy to drop my own profanity bombs, as well as be a tad self depricating and remind myself that I'm a little girl or I'm a woman when I hit a shot fat, or not get a putt to the hole, or underclub and leave it short.

Not the most politically or gender correct, but it gets me thru rounds, and always gets a chuckle out of playing partners.

Who doesn't get a chuckle out of a 6'1" 190 lbs dude calling themself Nancy after a bad shot?
If you think golfers are the most obvious examples of people who use profanity, you must live a very sheltered life and work in an easy, uncompetitive field.

Razor Shines
07-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Michael Jordan wasn't the greatest guy either. Kobe constantly scowls. Pujols is often surly. Being the best in the world requires a level of focus, determination, and devotion that most people can't even dream of. Those sponsors signed up for Tiger and profit off of him. So on top of that, he's supposed to be nice when people interfere with him doing his job. He's supposed to say "gosh darnit" when he hits a bad shot.

FWIW, put me in with those who think that role models don't have any responsibility to those who idolize them. The good deeds they do, the good examples they set are what should make them idolized in the first place. If you don't like the example they set, communicate that to your kids. Parents and communities should raise kids, not star athletes. If you want your kid to learn good behavior on the golf course, teach him.

Yeah, that's how I see it as well.

bucksfan2
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM

I can't recall any other golfer acting like Tiger. And FWIW golf is a much different sport than baseball and basketball. It is known as the gentlemans game and most are supposed to act accordingly.

The biggest issue that I have with Tiger what he displays is unsportsmanlike conduct. In any tournament I have ever played in, if you act like that you are stroked.

Redhook
07-23-2009, 08:21 AM
If you think golfers are the most obvious examples of people who use profanity, you must live a very sheltered life and work in an easy, uncompetitive field.

I have a problem with your post for several reasons:

1) You don't assume someone lives a very sheltered life b/c of a post they've made. You shouldn't assume anything about someone's personal life. You have no clue what Highlife does.

2) It is true golfers have terrible mouths. I believe golfers have the worst mouths in all of sports. It's truely incredible how golf brings out the worst in people. Personally, I need to calm my mouth down out there, but it's really, really hard.

I think it can be argued that other sports are as difficult or more difficult than golf, but I don't any sport comes close to being as frustrating as golf. I've played just about every sport and nothing is close to golf as getting under my skin.

3) I've played in hundreds of golf tournaments in my life and there are probably just a couple of players that I've played with that don't curse. It's very common to toss out some bad words while playing. If you've ever been inside the ropes or close to the ropes for that matter, you would clearly and easily see that golfers do have some terrible mouths.

Highlifeman21
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Now this is a world-class rationalization. No matter how much "tunnel vision"
they have working, I got this feeling they know the crowd is there. Just a hunch.

My post was based off conversations I've had with Pros on blocking out distractions and what not.

When they are between the ropes, they are ridiculously focused, and it really is tunnel vision.

One of the only ways some Pros realize they have a captive audience is when they hit a shot outside the ropes and it strikes a patron. All of a sudden, Pros know their surroundings.

It's not a rationalization at all, it's reporting based on observation. Sure, they know they have a crowd, but they aren't focused on the crowd, and they definitely aren't looking at particular faces in the crowd.

Highlifeman21
07-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Should I have said sailors instead?

There's that phrase "mouth like a sailor", so I guess I should have gone there?

I know plenty of construction workers, and they have bad mouths, so I should have said construction workers instead?

I apologize that I live a very sheltered life, but I don't see how my commentary on golfers having bad mouths has anything to do with me working in an easy, uncompetitive field.

Ju got some 'splanin' to do Lucy...

Betterread
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Should I have said sailors instead?

There's that phrase "mouth like a sailor", so I guess I should have gone there?

I know plenty of construction workers, and they have bad mouths, so I should have said construction workers instead?

I apologize that I live a very sheltered life, but I don't see how my commentary on golfers having bad mouths has anything to do with me working in an easy, uncompetitive field.

Ju got some 'splanin' to do Lucy...

Yes, you should have used the example of construction workers. I agree with you there.
Reading over my post, I'm not sure of the point I was trying to make between your comment and my point about swearer's field of work. I can't really defend it so I withdraw it, with an apology. As an attempt to explain, I see a connection at my job with people who frequently swear and their commensurate sense of privilege and (paradoxically) their stress level. So I perceive that sales, law, politics all are full of foul-mouthed people because of both the presence of self-confidence and the competitive nature of those fields.

paintmered
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I understand well the frustrations the game can present. I also know what it's like to throw a good tantrum on the golf course. I've thrown a few in my day. I also looked like a total immature idiot while doing so. Now, I try to diffuse my frustration with humor rather than acting out.

It doesn't make it any less embarrassing if it happens in front of four people or forty million. I remember well the tirade of profanity he let loose on the 18th tee at the 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. It was eye opening, and I never thought of Tiger the same way since. He seriously needs to watch video of these little outbursts and put some thought towards if they're helping or hurting him.

I don't like this behavior from Tiger. I don't like it from anyone. If he's that miserable on the course, then maybe he needs to take a little break and re-gather himself.

RFS62
07-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

What do you think you'd hear if you put microphones on the football or baseball field or hockey rink?

You can't go around wondering where the cameras or the microphones are placed. It's a part of competition on the highest levels. It's not charm school.

The networks have no business at all sticking their nose in it. The game is what matters. Not the delicate sensibilities of the media, who probably like the controversy for ratings, if truth be told.

RedsBaron
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play. I don't think it is asking that much for the golfers to in return behave with some decorum. If they can't do that, then lets let the fans yell at the golfers like they do at major league baseball players and NBA players.

RFS62
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play. I don't think it is asking that much for the golfers to in return behave with some decorum. If they can't do that, then lets let the fans yell at the golfers like they do at major league baseball players and NBA players.

With all due respect, I see no connection. They demand silence because of the nature of the mental process involved in a golf swing. Every golfer knows how distracting it is to hear a loud noise in the middle of their backswing.

To expect them to be polite in the heat of battle is asking quite a lot.

If golfers spent their careers playing and practicing with loud noises going on, they would probably be a lot more adept in blocking it out. They simply don't, and unless you have a teacher like Earl Woods who throws tees at you and makes noises on purpose in your training sessions, you're most likely not going to be very good at ignoring the outside influences.

Remember John McEnroe's outbursts whenever anyone dared to make a noise when he was in his service motion? Every sport has its standards in this regard. You can't compare apples to oranges on this one, the conditions are too different between the mental requirements of each motor skill.

A server in tennis would be much more distracted, as the initiator of the action, than would be the receiver of serve, who is in a reactive mode. Same sport, different mental requirements for a different type of motor skill.

Redhook
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
With all due respect, I see no connection. They demand silence because of the nature of the mental process involved in a golf swing. Every golfer knows how distracting it is to hear a loud noise in the middle of their backswing.

If golfers spent their careers playing and practicing with loud noises going on, they would probably be a lot more adept in blocking it out. They simply don't, and unless you have a teacher like Earl Woods who throws tees at you and makes noises on purpose in your training sessions, you're most likely not going to be very good at ignoring the outside influences.

Remember John McEnroe's outbursts whenever anyone dared to make a noise when he was in his service motion? Every sport has its standards in this regard. You can't compare apples to oranges on this one, the conditions are too different between the mental requirements of each motor skill.

A server in tennis would be much more distracted, as the initiator of the action, than would be the receiver of serve, who is in a reactive mode. Same sport, different mental requirements for a different type of motor skill.

Great post!

VR
07-25-2009, 12:39 AM
I've always thought that one small change would make golf the worlds #1 watched sport. Have these guys play with their own money.

Make this putt Tiger, you only owe Mickelson 100k. Miss it, it's 1Mil.
THEN we would see some F-bombs and club throwing. Any amateur can tell you that putting your own $ out there....even if it's .25 cent skins, greatly elevates your club throwing potential.

This, of course would only remain the worlds top sport until hockey made pads and helmets illegal.

RANDY IN INDY
07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Honestly, it doesn't bother me a bit.

What do you think you'd hear if you put microphones on the football or baseball field or hockey rink?

You can't go around wondering where the cameras or the microphones are placed. It's a part of competition on the highest levels. It's not charm school.

The networks have no business at all sticking their nose in it. The game is what matters. Not the delicate sensibilities of the media, who probably like the controversy for ratings, if truth be told.

I tend to agree, RFS62. The language around most every sport that I ever participated in was not the Queen's English, although it was so creative at times that it seemed to be an art form.;) I remember striking out once in High School and muttering the "F" word very angrily, but softly, walking back to the dugout. My mother saw this and called me on the carpet in the car on the way home. My dad intervened and told her, "What is said between the lines, stays between the lines. It isn't necessarily right, but don't question it." That was the end of the story. I felt bad, that my mom had seen what I muttered, but I was also glad that my father understood the heat of the battle.

improbus
07-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Reilly's article sounds like a disgruntled middle aged white sports reporter (DMAWSR's) who is fishing for an angle without having anything to really write about. DMAWSR's are the Debbie Downer'sof sports.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not a good enough golfer to get mad on the course. Neither are most golfers.

same here. if you can't laugh at yourself when you're as horrendous as i am, then you're going to break alot of things. haha.

Matt700wlw
08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Few things are better than hearing him drop and F bomb on live TV.

It's the best! There's nothing the FCC can do about it! :D

dsmith421
08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Professional golf is about the only sport I can think of where the athletes demand, and generally receive, a respectful silence from the audience as they are putting the ball into play.

Umm, there's this sport involving a fuzzy yellow ball and several long-hairs with aluminum snowshoes.

Seriously, this "will no one think of the CHILDREN" crap is so tiresome. Tiger gets pissed. Get over it.

Kingspoint
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Read that article the day the British Open ended. That was a great article.

Orenda
08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Relevance > Rick Reilly

KoryMac5
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't recall any other golfer acting like Tiger. And FWIW golf is a much different sport than baseball and basketball. It is known as the gentlemans game and most are supposed to act accordingly.

The biggest issue that I have with Tiger what he displays is unsportsmanlike conduct. In any tournament I have ever played in, if you act like that you are stroked.

Exactly, seems to be different rules for different players.

MWM
08-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Exactly, seems to be different rules for different players.

I agree, it is different rules. When other players do the exact same thing, Rick Reilly doesn't take the time to call them out in their column. And discussion forums don't have threads talking about it. People's comments here are assuming Tiger is the only one doing it because he's the only one it's reported about. And I have a hard time believing any serious golf tournament is going to "stroke" players for doing getting angry on the golf course.

dabvu2498
11-21-2009, 04:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWKQbX7K4s

Razor Shines
11-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Yeah, that's not ok at all.

bucksfan2
11-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Stroke him 2 strokes for unsportsman like conduct and you will see an end to Tiger's theatrics.

texasdave
11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I am surprised the Tiger apologists aren't out in force, defending the indefensible. I mean, doesn't everyone get upset with their drive and fling their driver into the crowd? Actually, no they don't.

Redhook
11-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I think the crowd should've been able to keep the driver. That would've been a nice penalty in this case. Well, maybe not, since Tiger hits that club like garbage most of the time.

I'm a Tiger apologist to some degree, but this was pretty bad. I don't mind the cursing, but flinging his club off the ground and into the crowd is indefensible.