PDA

View Full Version : Reds #10 in Local Market TV Ratings

Jpup
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/07/16/boston-red-sox-lead-local-baseball-ratings-but-texas-rangers-show-the-biggest-increase/22972

The Red Sox are far and away the leaders, but I was quite surprised at the Reds figure.

kaldaniels
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
4 NL Central teams in the top 10.....outstanding.

BCubb2003
07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
That's a decent percentage of a small pie. It's not a counting stat.

Stephenk29
07-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Notice how bad the Nationals was? .6 wow that's bad.

M2
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Notice how bad the Nationals was? .6 wow that's bad.

And apparently that's up 20%. Apparently D.C. and baseball don't mix any better than they did the first two times MLB tried it.

George Anderson
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
And apparently that's up 20%. Apparently D.C. and baseball don't mix any better than they did the first two times MLB tried it.

Another brilliant decision by Bud.

hebroncougar
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Who could expect any different with the team they field? Heck, I couldn' watch the Nats every night, and I'm a diehard.

cumberlandreds
07-23-2009, 08:24 AM

Would you want to watch a team that is currently 28-66? If the Nats ever put a decent product on the field the numbers will be better. But IF is the key word for this to happen.
I watch them many nights,at least part of the game. You know what's going to happen. If they don't get blown out early in the game then they will find a way to blow it late in the game. They really are a long way from having a competitive team and I think most people in this area realize this and just don't bother.

bucksfan2
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/07/16/boston-red-sox-lead-local-baseball-ratings-but-texas-rangers-show-the-biggest-increase/22972

The Red Sox are far and away the leaders, but I was quite surprised at the Reds figure.

It was very smart decision by Castellini to televise 140+ games in a season. Basically every night game is televised and an increasing number of games are televised in HD.

Jpup
07-25-2009, 10:13 AM
It was very smart decision by Castellini to televise 140+ games in a season. Basically every night game is televised and an increasing number of games are televised in HD.

I have been very pleased with the number of HD games this year. One thing that doesn't make sense is that a lot of early season games are only available in SD. I wonder how much different the cost would be to televise all 162 games in HD compared to the current deal. That would be great, but I will say that I am satisfied with the current package.

I wish the Reds could get some bigger sponsors for their TV though. Their ad revenue compared to their rating has to be extremely poor. Does FSN or the Reds sell the ads?

Unassisted
07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Just don't confuse this with being #10 in local TV revenue. I've seen posts lately from members who seem to think the Reds are swimming in TV money. Cincinnati is still a small market.

reds1869
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I have been very pleased with the number of HD games this year. One thing that doesn't make sense is that a lot of early season games are only available in SD. I wonder how much different the cost would be to televise all 162 games in HD compared to the current deal. That would be great, but I will say that I am satisfied with the current package.

FSN Ohio spreads their resources between the Blue Jackets, Cavaliers, and Reds (among others). Since the CBJ and Cavs are in late season/playoff situations, they will trump the Reds for use of HD equipment.

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I wish the Reds could get some bigger sponsors for their TV though. Their ad revenue compared to their rating has to be extremely poor. Does FSN or the Reds sell the ads?

FSN and the local cable provider sell those ads. Not the Reds. Yet.

The club took over the radio broadcast and ad sales, which bumped up that revenue stream. Look for them to do the same with TV soon enough. Or... possibly create their own channel (a la YES network). But that would take some effort and planning. But if the club sees that as an effective way to make more money and reach more people, they'll do it. Just might not be before the contract with FSN expires.