PDA

View Full Version : Fay's Trade Candidates

Benihana
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Nothing shocking, although he says he would be "stunned" if Phillips is traded and includes Hairston on the list of those being shopped.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog:e57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost:5b01ae72-5575-45db-ba35-9bdd1e1475a5&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

My favorite Fayline is this gem:

The name out there on the rumor mill that I think would be a good fit for the Reds is Toronto's Marco Scutaro. He's having a career year at 33. But he's cheap and could fill in at shortstop next year until the Reds find a long-term solution. He also can play second, third, outfield. He's a free agent after the season.

:clap:

PuffyPig
07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
If he's a FA after the season, how will he fill in next year?

I doubt he would look for a one year deal.

alexad
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I think Fay has been drinking the Kool Aide again. He could very well be so depressed having to follow the Reds, he is in La La Land and really does not even know his real name.

Benihana
07-22-2009, 06:42 PM
If he's a FA after the season, how will he fill in next year?

I doubt he would look for a one year deal.

That was my point

OldXOhio
07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
But given the way Micah Owings and Homer Bailey pitched the last two nights the Reds might want ot hang on to both Arroyo and Harang.

Yes, would hate for anyone to think this team is actually out of the race.

alexad
07-22-2009, 06:51 PM
And in other news, the Reds are rebuilding and thinking about next year. PS this was said around 1996. It seems like a record skipping over and over and over and over. It is like the movie Groundhog day. The same thing happens over and over. I wonder when the Reds will finally live the day again and realize how to get out of the day, wake up and move on.......

dougdirt
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
And in other news, the Reds are rebuilding and thinking about next year. PS this was said around 1996. It seems like a record skipping over and over and over and over. It is like the movie Groundhog day. The same thing happens over and over. I wonder when the Reds will finally live the day again and realize how to get out of the day, wake up and move on.......
The problem is, no one GM has actually committed to building for the future and been kept around long enough to see that plan through.

RedsManRick
07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
The one year the Reds really sold off was when they were between GM's, traded their most productive player, and landed an ace. Having a GM who doesn't fear for fan backlash can be a very empowering thing.

RedLegSuperStar
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I still think this team should be Buyers.. they are still only 5.5 games back to start the day and that has been the same for almost a week now. This team finishes the season facing the Division leading Cardinals and if they can add some power to this line-up they can make some ground up.

Patrick Bateman
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
This team is really bad, and has been playing really, really, really bad for awhile now.

I have no interest in buying if the focus is on this year. This team is just nowhere close to respectability right now.

traderumor
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM
The one year the Reds really sold off was when they were between GM's, traded their most productive player, and landed an ace. Having a GM who doesn't fear for fan backlash can be a very empowering thing.Harang developed into that, but he was by no means projected to be a top of the rotation pitcher when the deal was made and Guillen was clearly going to be an expensive free agent. Joe Valentine was supposed to be the stud of that deal, with Harang a major league ready middling at best starter. I still remember being pleasantly surprised the first time I saw Harang pitch after the dreck we had been watching for a few years, but I wouldn't say that was a bold and powerful move. It was a move of "get something for a free agent to be."

I(heart)Freel
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Any and all moves must be done with 2010-11-12 in mind.

If it happens to help 2009, bonus.

I'm still hopeful for that Walt/Big Mac type deal, if it's possible for one man to do the same trick twice.

Reds4Life
07-22-2009, 10:25 PM
The Reds motto should be "rebuilding for the year that never comes".

We've heard this same crap for years, after hearing it for so long it doesn't mean much anymore. My main complaint, Walt hasn't done much of anything. He hasn't made any real commitment to either rebuilding, or building with free agents. The Reds punted this past off seasons and did nothing when everyone predicted this team was going to struggle scoring runs. I expect more of the same going into the deadline, which is to say.........nothing will be done.

marcshoe
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Any and all moves must be done with 2010-11-12 in mind.

If it happens to help 2009, bonus.

I'm still hopeful for that Walt/Big Mac type deal, if it's possible for one man to do the same trick twice.

And then next year they must be done with 2011-12-13 in mind. And the year after that, 2012-13-14. And the year after that...well, maybe we'll get lucky and the Mayans will be right.

Sea Ray
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I still think this team should be Buyers.. they are still only 5.5 games back to start the day and that has been the same for almost a week now. This team finishes the season facing the Division leading Cardinals and if they can add some power to this line-up they can make some ground up.

You're not living in the real world. You're underestimating just how bad this team really is. They're two games better than the Pirates. At the end of the year you'll see that our Reds were never just a trade or two away from winning the division.

RedLegSuperStar
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
You're not living in the real world. You're underestimating just how bad this team really is. They're two games better than the Pirates. At the end of the year you'll see that our Reds were never just a trade or two away from winning the division.

This team is bad because they have the likes of Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, Craig Tatum, Drew Sutton, & Willy Taveras. This team repeats it self year after year after year that they are bringing winning baseball back to Cincinnati yet throws a product of yuck on the field and preys for a maricle. If this team would deal some of its surplus of prospects and can obtain a power OFer and a SS then this team in my opinion is set themselves up for a playoff push. Adam LaRoshe was had for pennies on the dollar. I don't know if Pittsburg is opposed to dealing within the division but I wouldn't mind having either Jack Wilson or Freddy Sanchez (hasn't played SS since 2007) to play SS. I then would try to obtain Josh Willingham or Nelson Cruz for the LF. This team is a much better team with those moves add Volquez, Hernandez, and Bruce to the mix come September and this team is a contender.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Jack Wilson? No thanks.

And why would Texas get rid of Nelson Cruz. The time to go after him was last year (which many on this board suggested), but like everything else, this organization was a day late and a dollar short.

NC Reds
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
This team is bad because they have the likes of Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, Craig Tatum, Drew Sutton, & Willy Taveras.

I refuse to blame four guys who have barely played for this team's woes. Taveras is part of the problem, of that I am sure.

Chip R
07-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I refuse to blame four guys who have barely played for this team's woes.

Yeah, that's pretty harsh. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that any of them are going to be dominant major league players.

nate
07-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah, that's pretty harsh. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that any of them are going to be dominant major league players.

We could say the same about 90% of our starting lineup.

:cool: