PDA

View Full Version : Julio Lugo traded to Cardinals for Chris Duncan

Benihana
07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=644756

TheNext44
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Dang it!

So the Reds could have traded Taveras for Lugo?

Actually, the way it seems to go, Lugo will now have a career two and half months with the Cards and lead them to the playoffs.

savafan
07-22-2009, 06:46 PM
So the Red Sox acquire Adam Laroche and Chris Duncan. Heck of a bench they're putting together.

OldXOhio
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Hold on a second...the Cardinals traded for Julio Lugo?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry

LvJ
07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Seriously?

:bowrofl:

OldXOhio
07-22-2009, 06:51 PM
So the Red Sox acquire Adam Laroche and Chris Duncan. Heck of a bench they're putting together.

Trying to get back to the old days of having 7 1B/DH on their roster.

VR
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Duncan must be on the downside of a cream treatment.

blumj
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
No, seriously this time, Duncan is going to Pawtucket. Really. Promise.

reds44
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
There's a trade that would have made the Reds better.

blumj
07-22-2009, 07:07 PM
There's a trade that would have made the Reds better.

Better at what?

reds44
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Better at what?
Baseball?

redsfandan
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Lugo was on his way out anyway. That the Sox were able to get any kind of value, much less a decent 1st baseman/outfielder for him is a good move. Now whether Duncan & LaRoche will both stay with the Sox or will one of them be traded for something else is something else entirely.

westofyou
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Baseball?

Doubt it, both suck wind.

Big Klu
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I just checked the Cardinals board (birdsonthebat.org) and the Red Sox board (sonsofsamhorn.net), and both boards think they got the better end of the deal.

Patrick Bateman
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Lugo is the exact opposite type of player that the Reds should be going after. I wasn't a fan of him as a target, and I'm pleased to see him go by. The last thing we need is a joke fielding SS, especially when the guy has a marginal bat.

I'd just as soon throw Janish to the wolves, he at least makes life a little easier on the pitchers.

Tom Servo
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Doubt it, both suck wind.
Exactly.

At least Duncan's out of the division now. He always gave our right handers trouble, especially Arroyo as I recall.

blumj
07-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I just checked the Cardinals board (birdsonthebat.org) and the Red Sox board (sonsofsamhorn.net), and both boards think they got the better end of the deal.

Because, well, look one post up. That about covers it.

Tom Servo
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Another team's crappy player always seems better in comparison than your own team's crappy player.

RedsManRick
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Nothing like a guy trending downwards to below replacement through his mid-to-late 20's. Just an exchange of guys who don't belong on major league rosters.

Brutus
07-22-2009, 07:37 PM

As an unbiased observer, I'll settle this for them. They both got hosed.

:beerme:

klw
07-22-2009, 07:38 PM
No, seriously this time, Duncan is going to Pawtucket. Really. Promise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9839360/Red-Sox-trade-Lugo-to-Cards-for-Duncan

The Red Sox have made their second move of the day.

Boston has agreed to send shortstop Julio Lugo to the Cardinals for outfielder Chris Duncan, a major-league source has confirmed.

Trade market buzz What else is spinning on the always active MLB rumor mill? Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi have you covered. Check out the buzz they're hearing.
The trade was reported earlier Wednesday by other media outlets, including the Boston Herald.

The move comes hours after an earlier trade sent two Red Sox prospects to the Pirates for first baseman Adam LaRoche.

Lugo was designated for assignment last week and the Red Sox had until Monday to trade or release him. He is hitting .284 in 37 games this season.

Duncan is hitting .227 with five home runs in 87 games this season. He was optioned to Triple-A Memphis earlier Wednesday. St. Louis recalled infielder Brian Barden to take his roster spot.

The Herald reported Duncan will report to the Red Sox's Triple-A affiliate in Pawtucket.

RichRed
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Good. Now that Chris Duncan is out of St. Louis, let's get his dad to Cincinnati.

Patrick Bateman
07-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I found this thread on a Cards board mildy amusing:

http://stlouissportsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9317

One fan seems to dislike Lugo a lot (to say the least), the rest seem ready to accept Lugo as a solid upgrade.

I(heart)Freel
07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I know Duncan had fallen out of favor, but wow. I guess the economics will be interesting as they unfold. Because if the Cards waited a little longer, couldnt they have Lugo for league minimum and NOT given up anyone?

LoganBuck
07-23-2009, 12:50 AM
There's a trade that made the Reds better.

Fixed that for you.

Got this text from a cousin of mine, who is a Cubs fan,

Lugo to Cards for Duncan? WTH, are the NL central teams trying to corner the market on all the crappy SS?

redsfandan
07-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Good. Now that Chris Duncan is out of St. Louis, let's get his dad to Cincinnati.
Works for me.

I know Duncan had fallen out of favor, but wow. I guess the economics will be interesting as they unfold. Because if the Cards waited a little longer, couldnt they have Lugo for league minimum and NOT given up anyone?
My understanding is that once Lugo was done with waivers he'd be a free agent and then anyone could've signed him and overpaid him however much they wanted to get him. At least a couple teams had interest (Mets/Cards) so they may have had to pay more for the minimum to him. But I just noticed that the deal has the Sox also receiving a player to be named OR cash (which would offset some of what they'll still have to pay Lugo).

Lugo may be able to help the Cards but it's hard to believe they couldn't have done better than him. Both deals look like wins for the Sox to me.

blumj
07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Nothing like a guy trending downwards to below replacement through his mid-to-late 20's. Just an exchange of guys who don't belong on major league rosters.

Guess that means the Sox (kind of) win, because they get to not put theirs on a major league roster.

Mario-Rijo
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll give the Cards at least this much credit, when they have an obvious hole they are able to both recognize it and attempt to fill it. That is what teams whom are trying to win do. Now Lugo isn't much of an acquistion but neither was the guy filling in at SS for them.

Chip R
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll give the Cards at least this much credit, when they have an obvious hole they are able to both recognize it and attempt to fill it. That is what teams whom are trying to win do. Now Lugo isn't much of an acquistion but neither was the guy filling in at SS for them.

That's what the Reds did with the infamous Nationals and Stanton trades.

Brutus
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Though his stats certainly do not show it (.313 OBP & .370 SLG), and though this move would suggest otherwise, I had read in more than one place that the Cardinals admire the job Ryan has done at short. Maybe that was just a nice way of saying we like him but we don't like him. I don't know. But it seemed La Russa likes Ryan a lot.

blumj
07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
There's just no way at all that the version of Julio Lugo I've seen in 2009 could swipe a starting SS job away from anyone who can actually field the position, even if the guy hits like a pitcher, unless the guy deciding between them is blind.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I guarantee with a change of scenery and the Cards, well, being the Cards that Lugo will OPS in the .750-.800 range from here on out.

I've seen this story before.

Guarantee it.

blumj
07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
I guarantee with a change of scenery and the Cards, well, being the Cards that Lugo will OPS in the .750-.800 range from here on out.

Guarantee it.

I could see that. But, if he manages to play SS like anything better than a typical backup catcher would, then they really will have performed a miracle.

savafan
07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
The Red Sox are said to be looking at Victor Martinez and Adrian Gonzalez as well.

redsfandan
07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
I doubt either lands in Boston. Sounds like just another of a million rumors that never amount to anything.

Ron Madden
07-24-2009, 07:02 AM

Guarantee it.

I really don't think so, Lugo isn't very good.

Homer Bailey
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I doubt either lands in Boston. Sounds like just another of a million rumors that never amount to anything.

Boston turned down a trade offer of Victor Martinez to Clay Buchholz.

Homer Bailey
07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
HB's positive spin on this non-Reds story:

LaRussa and Duncan get ticked that Duncan's boy gets traded, Cards miss the playoffs, LaRussa and Duncan are in the Reds dugout on opening day next year.

Jpup
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
HB's positive spin on this non-Reds story:

LaRussa and Duncan get ticked that Duncan's boy gets traded, Cards miss the playoffs, LaRussa and Duncan are in the Reds dugout on opening day next year.

Let's hope not.

Homer Bailey
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Let's hope not.

Because the Dusty Baker-Dick Pole era has worked so well.

Jpup
07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Because the Dusty Baker-Dick Pole era has worked so well.

I'll take Duncan, they can keep LaRussa. I can't stand the guy.

redsfandan
07-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Boston turned down a trade offer of Victor Martinez to Clay Buchholz.
Boston also turned down Buchholz to Texas for one of their younger catchers. Boston doesn't want to give up Buchholz. And Cleveland seems to want alot for VMart.