PDA

View Full Version : Dont look now but last years team...

GIDP
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Had a better record up to this point last year.

Through 94 games the 2008 Reds were 45-49
Through 94 games the 2009 Reds are 44-50

I wonder how many people will notice this.

schmidty622
07-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Both teams suck. They just suck in different ways.

reds77
07-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Haha, that is the best summary of the Reds I have read yet-- no need for analysis, you nailed it.

Moosie52
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
There's Cory Patterson, then there's Willie Tavares.

RedLegsToday
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM
So far in 2009, 171 players have enough plate appearances to qualify for their league's batting title. Willy Taveras has the lowest OPS+ amongst those players with a 55. For those who don't know the stat, a 100 is league average. Next is Emilio Bonifacio of Florida with a 64.

Willy has a pretty good chance to be the first outfielder in history to have a season of 600 plate appearances and an OPS+ less than 60.

GIDP
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
So far in 2009, 171 players have enough plate appearances to qualify for their league's batting title. Willy Taveras has the lowest OPS+ amongst those players with a 55. For those who don't know the stat, a 100 is league average. Next is Emilio Bonifacio of Florida with a 64.

Willy has a pretty good chance to be the first outfielder in history to have a season of 600 plate appearances and an OPS+ less than 60.

:laugh:

I am on the hate Willy charge but crap like this still makes me laugh every time i hear it. So insane that we have to deal with this.

improbus
07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Do you guys think we should just forfeit our games on the west coast and just rest our guys? We might actually get something out of a west coast trip if we do that...

justincredible
07-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Who cares about all that? He's fast!

sivman17
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Who cares about all that? He's fast!

Yeah!!! :thumbdown

BigPoppa
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
He's fast, dude. Bigtime. :rolleyes:

texasdave
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
For the first month and a half of the season Taveras was doing an acceptable job. What happened to Willy since then I have no idea. Let's hope he remembers what he was doing right in the first part of the season.

GIDP
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
For the first month and a half of the season Taveras was doing an acceptable job. What happened to Willy since then I have no idea. Let's hope he remembers what he was doing right in the first part of the season.

He stop producing way over his head and fell back to his career norms.

BRM13
07-23-2009, 03:57 PM

:D That's a good line. It got me thinking, so I figured this out. After 94 games the Reds have scored 382 runs and allowed 447. That projects over 162 games to 658 scored and 770 allowed. Last year the Reds scored 704 and allowed 800. So, the team is on pace to score 46 less, but allow 30 fewer.

So, the plan to win with pitching and defense has led to some improvement on the runs allowed side (note: I worry about the more recent trend on that side) but the offense has been miserable and net the Reds project to an even worse run differential (-112 vs. -96) than last year.

Captain Hook
07-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Had a better record up to this point last year.

Through 94 games the 2008 Reds were 45-49
Through 94 games the 2009 Reds are 44-50

I wonder how many people will notice this.

Thanks to you we have noticed.

I have to admit that the teams record is a big disappointment.I know a lot of you guys didn't see us being a .500 team but I did.I'll give myself credit in knowing that a .500 record could keep us close in the central.With most teams its a modest hope to win as many as you loose but with the Reds I might have had my homer glasses on.It really sucks to look at the standings and see four teams ahead of us struggling to have a winning record and we can't even keep up with that pace.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-24-2009, 04:52 AM
It really sucks to look at the standings and see four teams ahead of us struggling to have a winning record and we can't even keep up with that pace.

We're 3-7 over our last 10, and 3 of the 4 ahead of us are 7-3. They had a 4 game swing over us, and we are only 6 games out. One SMALL hot streak and we're back in the thick of things. We are no means "done" yet.

NastyBoy
07-24-2009, 07:23 PM
We're 3-7 over our last 10, and 3 of the 4 ahead of us are 7-3. They had a 4 game swing over us, and we are only 6 games out. One SMALL hot streak and we're back in the thick of things. We are no means "done" yet.

We sweep the the padres series and we are back in it! That is ofcourse assuming we don't get swept by the Cubbies.

GIDP
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
We sweep the the padres series and we are back in it! That is ofcourse assuming we don't get swept by the Cubbies.
or the padres again

Captain Hook
07-25-2009, 04:34 AM
I can't understand how anyone can think that this team can get back into it.I hope they can but I think it is close to impossible.The Cards keep getting better and our only hope imo was to win the Central.What have we done to get better?

Sean_CaseyRules
07-25-2009, 05:06 AM
IWhat have we done to get better?

Not one dang thing.....yet. I have faith in the FO to get us what we need. There is no reason for anyone to give up yet. We're going to be in the thick of things come September, and you can mark that one up in the books too. I believe it wholeheartedly that we will have a shot at October THIS year.

Captain Hook
07-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Not one dang thing.....yet. I have faith in the FO to get us what we need. There is no reason for anyone to give up yet. We're going to be in the thick of things come September, and you can mark that one up in the books too. I believe it wholeheartedly that we will have a shot at October THIS year.

Going from 6 games over .500 in May to 7 games under .500 in July is a pretty good reason to give up.I like your optimism though.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I can't understand how anyone can think that this team can get back into it.I hope they can but I think it is close to impossible.The Cards keep getting better and our only hope imo was to win the Central.What have we done to get better?

We do still have 6 games vs. the Cardinals.

I think they could get back into it but its going to take some gigantic leaps and some huge overproduction from phillips, Edwin, Votto, and lights out pitching from Cueto, Harang, Arroyo, and Volquez if he returns this year. Instead we are likely to see way too much Taveras, Gonzalez, and one of the Nix/Gomes/Dickerson completely falling on their face and playing way too much. Plus other things.

They have a chance but they are about as dead as you could get imo also.

NastyBoy
07-25-2009, 03:45 PM
or the padres again

Oh yeah... i almost forgot about that series. :rolleyes:

gilpdawg
07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
You're completely delusional. I love your enthusiasm though.

BRM13
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Gotta love the liquid lunch! :beerme:

Sean_CaseyRules
07-26-2009, 02:25 AM
I guess the biggest reason I believe in this team is because my two other favorite pro teams made the playoffs after starting mediocre, and no one even thought they'd make it either. (Miami Dolphins, and the Blue Jackets.) I just want it to happen so bad. But it really only take a little streak to get the players believing in themselves again and then getting a bigger hot streak started.

Jerome
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
It's hard to say this without sounding like a jerk (although I am a huge one), but anybody who was tricked into being excited for "small ball" this year and didn't see this coming (laction at the plate) should be taken out back.

mlh1981
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
If we can somehow get to within 5 games of 1st place by the end of the month, then MAYBE we have a chance, but 5th place teams don't jump over 4 other teams in the span of 2 months.

CWRed
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
It's hard to say this without sounding like a jerk (although I am a huge one), but anybody who was tricked into being excited for "small ball" this year and didn't see this coming (laction at the plate) should be taken out back.

So true. It's like thinking WT would actually become a good player all of a sudden. Or that Dusty would become a genius.

bounty37h
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM

difference between small ball and totally miniature, tiny, almost not even there ball.