PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez Activated From DL

RedLegSuperStar
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
per Fay

IMO Drew Sutton or Adam Rosalez would likly be heading to Louisville. No move has been made though yet.

Chip R
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Let the winning begin!

RedLegSuperStar
07-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Let the winning begin!

A-Gon is in the lineup. Power Boost!

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Huh?

Didn't he just have his knee scoped?

nate
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Let the winning begin!

That was last year, dude!

:cool:

nate
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Huh?

Didn't he just have his knee scoped?

No. He had "bodies" removed from his elbow or somesuch.

Chip R
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
That was last year, dude!

:cool:

Let the winning begin again!

savafan
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM

I hope they were the bodies of Ted Kluszewski, Vada Pinson and Edd Roush, and they're healthy enough to play against the Cubs this weekend.

edabbs44
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I cannot wait for his contract to expire.

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Oh...I was thinking of Ramon H I guess.

Oh well.

By the way, there will be a meeting of the Cincinnati "All Who Luv Willy T" Chapter Fanclub in chat this afternoon.

Chip R
07-24-2009, 12:31 PM
By the way, there will be a meeting of the Cincinnati "All Who Luv Willy T" Chapter Fanclub in chat this afternoon.

Much like your weekend evenings, you'll be by yourself. :cool:

HeatherC1212
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Did we ever hear how he did with his rehab assignments? Did he even have more than one rehab appearance?! If we did hear about anything I must have missed it completely. :eek:

redsfan4445
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
they activated him to save the season!!

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Much like your weekend evenings, you'll be by yourself. :cool:

Just me, my Willy T onesie pj's and a 6-pack of IceHouse.

Oh yea, also the smell of despair.

WMR
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I was waiting for Jocketty to make his big move (BM?).

lollipopcurve
07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
thank goodness Sutton never got a start, wouldn't want a high OBP guy messing with that double leadoff dynamic we got working

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I was waiting for Jocketty to make his big move (BM?).

http://www.ericgiguere.com/images/all-bran-front-400-619.jpg

Degenerate39
07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.ericgiguere.com/images/all-bran-front-400-619.jpg

Is that Shatner?

CTA513
07-24-2009, 01:12 PM

:beerme:

Caveat Emperor
07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe if he's actually playing, the Reds might be able to ship him to a contender in need of a defensive replacement off the bench in exchange for a PTBNL or something.

I'm reaching.

Edskin
07-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Maybe if he's actually playing, the Reds might be able to ship him to a contender in need of a defensive replacement off the bench in exchange for a PTBNL or something.

I'm reaching.

Yes, you are reaching :)

And would it matter anyway? I really don't care if we slash payroll-- it's not like we'll ever be in the market for Texiera type anyway. I also really don't care if we obtain prospects or we've draft-- we've been doing that for a decade and it's gotten us nowhere.

Basically, I don't care if AGon is on the roster, on the DL, active, on the bench, on the Reds, released, or traded. I feel the same way about 75% of the roster. I just don't care.

I HATE feeling this way, but it's true.

Crosley68
07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope they were the bodies of Ted Kluszewski, Vada Pinson and Edd Roush, and they're healthy enough to play against the Cubs this weekend.

Coffee out the nose!!!! :beerme:

Homer Bailey
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Doesn't mean he won't be back next year. :rolleyes:

VR
07-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Alex Gonzalez Activated From DL

Ha! Take THAT Cardinals! In yo faaaaace!

Holladay....pfffft big deal.

flyer85
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
salvation cometh!!

Chip R
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm reaching.

Don't pull anything reaching that hard.

WVRedsFan
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Doesn't mean he won't be back next year. :rolleyes:True.

All I hear from Mark Sheldon (sp?), Hal, Marty, Chris, and George is that he is the wizard and what we're missing. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the extention. Shades of Jerry Narron, Rheal Cormier, and Ryan Freel. I thought Special K was gone.

Jpup
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Anderson Machado has come to save the season...

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
After making a block-buster move to position the team for glory in 2010, Walt dozes back off and dreams of yesteryear when baseball hadn't passed him by.

Brutus
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Man. How bad is it that I'm actually excited about this? Crazy and pathetic at the same time.

RichRed
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
True.

All I hear from Mark Sheldon (sp?), Hal, Marty, Chris, and George is that he is the wizard and what we're missing. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the extention. Shades of Jerry Narron, Rheal Cormier, and Ryan Freel. I thought Special K was gone.

From Fay:

GONZO PLAN: Alex Gonzalez was back in the lineup, fresh off the disabled list.

Baker isn’t sure if he’ll play him every day to start.

“We’ll see,” Baker said. “It depends on how he looks, how he moves around. He’s one of the best shortstops around. He can play some shortstop.

“Let’s hope his stroke doesn’t take too long to find. We certainly need offense. But he’ll never find his stroke if he doesn’t play.”

Homer Bailey
07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
You just have to wonder if these people really do know anything about baseball. Just look at that quote. He's an average shortstop these days, who can't carry his weight with the stick.

Wow. They really are going to resign him. Just watch.

Chip R
07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
You just have to wonder if these people really do know anything about baseball. Just look at that quote. He's an average shortstop these days, who can't carry his weight with the stick.

Problem is, no one else they have put there is a good hitter either.

flyer85
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
He's an average shortstop these days, who can't carry his weight with the stick.on his better days, other days, not so much

GOYA
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Did we ever hear how he did with his rehab assignments? Did he even have more than one rehab appearance?! If we did hear about anything I must have missed it completely. :eek:

It was in the Minor League Forum.

He played 4 games with Louisville and went 1 for 13.

.077/.200./077

We'll miss him. ;)

RichRed
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
It was in the Minor League Forum.

He played 4 games with Louisville and went 1 for 13.

.077/.200./077

We'll miss him. ;)

Sounds like he's in midseason form.

edabbs44
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Funny, but I guess Dusty has to say positive things about these guys. He is wacked but I can't believe that he actually thinks that.

There is no way they will resign him, unless it is for minimum wage and there is just no one else available (through any means) who makes sense.

klw
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I could be wrong, maybe even way off on this, but I have sensed some sarcasm in this thread.

wheels
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
So Alex Gonzalez can play some shortstop, eh?

So everyone should be excited because he has played, and can play some shortstop.

Dusty is hilarious.

All I can do is laugh at the "Brain Trust".

I can't tell if they're idiots, or dullards, or both.

GAC
07-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Dusty now has a HUGE problem.

He's got EE back at 3B, and now AGon at SS.

WHERE IS HE GONNA PLAY HAIRSTON?

Somehow a trade is gonna have to be made to make room for JHJ. ;)

Chip R
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM

LF, baby.

klw
07-24-2009, 04:09 PM

He can replace Votto at first.

corkedbat
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Contention again! To bad we don't have the emoticon with snoopy doing the happy Dance

WVRedsFan
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
LF, baby.

BINGO!

Gonzo was 1 for 13 against AAA pitching? Get his stroke? When did he ever have it this year?

Oh my dear God...

Raisor
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe this is the OTHER Alex Gonzalez?

The Alex S Gonzalez that played for Toronto all those years?

Please?

Ltlabner
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Contention again! To bad we don't have the emoticon with snoopy doing the happy Dance

How about a Chewbacca doing the happy dance?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c147/jbrowning/chewy.gif

Falls City Beer
07-24-2009, 07:34 PM

This kind of thinking is so obtuse; it's like that episode of The Simpsons: "Lisa's a vegetarian. She loves carrots. She's gonna marry a carrot! Lisa's gonna marry a CAR-rot; Lisa's gonna marry a CAR-rot!"

BuckeyeRedleg
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Good to see Alex pick up where he left off. lol.

Raisor
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
This kind of thinking is so obtuse;

http://theboxset.com/images/reviewcaptures/2280THE_SHAWSHANK_REDEMPTION-1.jpg

BuckeyeRedleg
07-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Everytime I hear (or read) that word I think of that scene.

And I was pretty good in geometry too (but who wasn't?).

RFS62
07-24-2009, 11:03 PM

30 more days in the box.

Big Klu
07-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Maybe this is the OTHER Alex Gonzalez?

The Alex S Gonzalez that played for Toronto all those years?

Please?

They are the same player. According to baseball-reference.com, in six different seasons the most similar player by age to Alex S. Gonzalez was Alex L. Gonzalez (our Alex).

BuckeyeRedleg
07-25-2009, 12:08 AM
They are the same player. According to baseball-reference.com, in six different seasons the most similar player by age to Alex S. Gonzalez was Alex L. Gonzalez (our Alex).

That is spooky.

Ron Madden
07-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Well hell, we could have avoided this if he hadn't been signed to begin with.

Homer Bailey
07-25-2009, 04:33 AM
This kind of thinking is so obtuse; it's like that episode of The Simpsons: "Lisa's a vegetarian. She loves carrots. She's gonna marry a carrot! Lisa's gonna marry a CAR-rot; Lisa's gonna marry a CAR-rot!"

No it's not. But as usual, you can spin it the way you want to.

In my opinion, the Reds have no realistic option at SS next year, so they will protect themselves by signing an overpaid vet to fill the position, even though they can probably replace them in house. (See signing WT for $6.25M When there are 3 other CF's in the system).

It's a prediction. Based on what I've seen from the Reds, they'd rather take a gamble on a guy that has "proven" (meaning he has somehow stayed in the major leagues despite having no talent (i.e. Taveras)) major league experience rather than an up and coming cheap guy in the system and spend the excess money on an exceptional free agent (i.e. Holliday).

Ron Madden
07-25-2009, 05:25 AM

In my opinion, the Reds have no realistic option at SS next year, so they will protect themselves by signing an overpaid vet to fill the position,

I respect your opinion Homer but I hope and pray you are wrong on this one.

redsfandan
07-25-2009, 05:49 AM
I actually thought what FCB said was kinda funny. Anyway, ...

The Reds can only overpay so many players. Barring a signing of Tejada in the offseason (or someone else that's actually ya know decent) I doubt we'll have $6m tied into that position. Besides if they DID I think the board would implode.

GAC
07-25-2009, 09:40 AM

I didn't know you were in Shawshank Redemption? :p:

Homer Bailey
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I respect your opinion Homer but I hope and pray you are wrong on this one.

Believe me when I say I hope so too. I hope I wasn't implying that I wanted that to happen.

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 01:37 PM

In my opinion, the Reds have no realistic option at SS next year, so they will protect themselves by signing an overpaid vet to fill the position, even though they can probably replace them in house. (See signing WT for $6.25M When there are 3 other CF's in the system).

It's a prediction. Based on what I've seen from the Reds, they'd rather take a gamble on a guy that has "proven" (meaning he has somehow stayed in the major leagues despite having no talent (i.e. Taveras)) major league experience rather than an up and coming cheap guy in the system and spend the excess money on an exceptional free agent (i.e. Holliday).

Gonzalez can barely walk. Do you really think they're going to re-sign him? Yeah--they're pumping his ego by calling him a great player and what-not--but you realize they have to say those things if they want to dump him, right?

Raisor
07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Gonzalez can barely walk. Do you really think they're going to re-sign him?

Would not surprise me at all if they do.

In fact, i'd be pretty surprised if they didn't. Won't be close to the money he's making now, but I'd be really surprised if they don't bring him back.

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Would not surprise me at all if they do.

In fact, i'd be pretty surprised if they didn't. Won't be close to the money he's making now, but I'd be really surprised if they don't bring him back.

And do you believe he will be the starting SS?

And that they'll not sign or trade for another SS? I guess I can see them signing him to a year deal at half a million to play caddy. But there's no way he'll be re-signed to play every day.

Chip R
07-25-2009, 02:08 PM

And that they'll not sign or trade for another SS? I guess I can see them signing him to a year deal at half a million to play caddy. But there's no way he'll be re-signed to play every day.

Why not? If they trade for someone decent, they will have to give up prospects. Are there any FAs out there that are difference makers at that spot? If there are, the Reds surely won't sign him because he'll cost too much money.

The likely option is to go with the known commodity and say that all is well cause Gonzo is aces at SS and we hope he doesn't get hurt. Several times during the offseason, media people said that he's the key to this team. That's how this club thinks. A judy hitting SS who isn't getting younger who is always hurt is the key to the team?

Raisor
07-25-2009, 02:20 PM

I was hoping he wasn't going to be the starter this year. If they sign him, he'll start when he's healthy(ish)

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 03:09 PM
A judy hitting SS who isn't getting younger who is always hurt is the key to the team?

Is that really how Walt Jocketty thinks? What in his history says he has a habit of doing this?

Chip R
07-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Is that really how Walt Jocketty thinks? What in his history says he has a habit of doing this?

Walt's history says he goes out and gets someone like Holliday to improve the team down the stretch. Yet he's done nothing so far. He's been Cincinnatized. He doesn't have the resources to go out and get anyone who will make a difference like he did in StL. If there is anyone in the system that could play SS, they aren't going to start because they are too young. They aren't different than most teams in that regard. But they will look at the options out there and realize that Gonzo has been plagued by bad luck. He's a veteran who they believe still gives them good defense and they won't feel the need to upgrade.

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Walt's history says he goes out and gets someone like Holliday to improve the team down the stretch. Yet he's done nothing so far. He's been Cincinnatized. He doesn't have the resources to go out and get anyone who will make a difference like he did in StL. If there is anyone in the system that could play SS, they aren't going to start because they are too young. They aren't different than most teams in that regard. But they will look at the options out there and realize that Gonzo has been plagued by bad luck. He's a veteran who they believe still gives them good defense and they won't feel the need to upgrade.

I think it's unlikely.

WVRedsFan
07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope he was handcuffed by the contract Krivsky gave him. If not, the Reds are doomed.

Chip R
07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I think it's unlikely.

Would you like to wager your first-born on it again?

mth123
07-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Winter Meetings. 2008.

The situation now is no different than last season. A glaring need for a SS and the path of least resistence is to go for Gonzo. Its what they espoused and followed through with last year. Why should we expect differently?

I hope you're right. But Walt has had ample time to address the SS issue and seems satisfied with Gimpy Gonzo.

IslandRed
07-25-2009, 09:09 PM
The situation now is no different than last season. A glaring need for a SS and the path of least resistence is to go for Gonzo. Its what they espoused and followed through with last year. Why should we expect differently?

The dynamic is completely different. Last offseason, we knew we had to pay Gonzalez anyway, so it wasn't a total surprise that "well, he should be healthy this year and we have other needs" turned into Plan A, even if it wasn't the choice most of us would have made. We have no such obligation to Gonzalez from here on.

mth123
07-25-2009, 09:20 PM
The dynamic is completely different. Last offseason, we knew we had to pay Gonzalez anyway, so it wasn't a total surprise that "well, he should be healthy this year and we have other needs" turned into Plan A, even if it wasn't the choice most of us would have made. We have no such obligation to Gonzalez from here on.

Agreed, but they've made no move to acquire a successor and I think they'll turn to Gonzo for another year because its easy to do. I wouldn't be shocked if they just picked-up his option and paid him $6 Million. Picking up the option is the easiest solution.

As far as the dynamic goes, there really wasn't much reason last year to think that Gonzo was going to be a good solution this year yet no one to even share the spot or work into the mix was acquired (unless you count Hairston and I hope that's not the plan).

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Agreed, but they've made no move to acquire a successor and I think they'll turn to Gonzo for another year because its easy to do. I wouldn't be shocked if they just picked-up his option and paid him $6 Million. Picking up the option is the easiest solution.

As far as the dynamic goes, there really wasn't much reason last year to think that Gonzo was going to be a good solution this year yet no one to even share the spot or work into the mix was acquired (unless you count Hairston and I hope that's not the plan).

6 million for a guy who's terrible with the stick and hurt all the time? That's not at all the easiest solution.

mth123
07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
6 million for a guy who's terrible with the stick and hurt all the time? That's not at all the easiest solution.

It is for this team. This regime (Owner/GM/Manager combo) has voluntarily guaranteed $4 Million to the worst player in the majors for 2010 when nearly anyone who can read a stat sheet or saw him play a little knew it was an awful move. After doing that, my expectations are really low for the current brain trust.

IslandRed
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM

The easiest solution is paying Janish the minimum.

I don't see any way the Reds pick up the option for $6 million. Like I said, it's one thing to talk yourself into making Gonzalez Plan A and crossing your fingers for luck when you have to pay him anyway, quite another when you don't. Remember that AG wasn't Jocketty's sign and all he's done since taking over as GM is watch him mostly not play.

mth123
07-25-2009, 10:12 PM
The easiest solution is paying Janish the minimum.

I don't see any way the Reds pick up the option for $6 million. Like I said, it's one thing to talk yourself into making Gonzalez Plan A and crossing your fingers for luck when you have to pay him anyway, quite another when you don't. Remember that AG wasn't Jocketty's sign and all he's done since taking over as GM is watch him mostly not play.

You make a valid point about Janish and that "solution" wouldn't surprise me either. In both cases, the solution involves doing nothing to help the team so they are both possible. Last off-season, this regime made moves costing Millions for crummy players when cheap in house options were in hand in CF and middle relief. Its why making a similar move this off-season at SS under the "we have no proven option" defense would not surprise me at all.

As far as Gonzo's health goes, the team is pursuing Scott Rolen. It can't be all that concerned about giving a bunch of money to past their prime players who are likely to spend the majority of the season on the DL.

Its not that I disagree with you logic IR. I agree with every word. I just really believe this front office is that stupid.

GAC
07-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Different FO's (ownership) too. It's not so much about the past either; but "what have you done for me lately?"