PDA

View Full Version : We have interest in Halladay? Holy crap no way thats true

GIDP
07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/24/phillies-still-in-lead-for-roy-halladay-but-situation-far-from/

Cincinnati have also been involved. Word is the Rangers and Reds have attractive packages, but based on Halladay's stance, those teams' position in the standings could keep him from going there.

I wonder what on earth we would be offering.

redhawk61
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Pick him up then flip Harang to Dodgers/Angels=success?

GIDP
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
based on the packages being mentioned the Reds have to be offering something like Cozart, Stubb/Heisey, and likely Stewart.

Jays supposedly want a SS and pitching.

schmidty622
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't get your hopes up. There is no chance in the world that this would ever happen.

GIDP
07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Our problem is pitching right now but we still dont score more than 2 runs a game anyways.

13 in hall
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I think it's CYA mode myself. We tried he wouldn't come and so on. Same ol same ol.

NastyBoy
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Our problem is pitching right now but we still dont score more than 2 runs a game anyways.

Halladay only needs 2 runs a game. Its a perfect fit!!! ;)

bounty37h
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Im calling 100% BS, we know we dont have the package to be in this race, so FO is throwing out that we are trying, just so when he goes to whatever other team we can say we made an attempt.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
This article is misleading. I think it meant to say we have interest in Halladay's rookie baseball card. We offered a package of a Barry Larkin game worn jersey card, along with Eric Davis Donruss Rated Rookie.

TheBigLebowski
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
And I have interest in Catherine Bell.

mroby85
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Im calling 100% BS, we know we dont have the package to be in this race, so FO is throwing out that we are trying, just so when he goes to whatever other team we can say we made an attempt.

Couldn't agree more, it's obvious this FO is more concerned with it's perception than actually doing something. After awhile all talk and no action becomes the same as the Lindner group that never did anything in my opinion. Just because they knew getting a right hand power bat was a priority, it doesn't make me feel any better when they don't do it, and make an excuse.

BluegrassRedleg
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Comical.

GIDP
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM

We certainly have the talent to get him.

BLEEDS
07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, there is one thing he can experience in Cincinnati that he can't in Toronto - being in less than 4th place!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bounty37h
07-24-2009, 03:29 PM
We certainly have the talent to get him.

I meant of what we would realistically offer and them accept within reason for either side, not a knock against our prospects.

texasdave
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
If Walt is targeting 2010, Halladay would sure improve his aim.

texasdave
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I think Mike Leake is going to be a rich man's Randy Wells.

texasdave
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Dickerson has a huge hole in his swing right in under his hands. He has no answer for that pitch. He needs to learn to fight that one off and extend the at-bat.

xavr1
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Ridiculous. Buying an expensive starting pitcher is probably the worst thing we could do at this point.

Jones1
07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
First off this deal will never happen Halladay has a no trade clause and he will not accept a trade to the Reds no matter what we offer. Secondly this may be a ploy from the front office after the Matt Holliday acquisition to keep the village people(the fans) from a lynching. Its awfully coincidental that the news for this came out the same time/day as the Holliday trade?

If we actually we're offering someone I'd guess the biggest pieces are Alonso/Stubbs then one of the aces in double Cozart/Wood. In reality we have the prospects to get Haladay I just dont see it happening, first from the no trade clause, secondly I dont think what we'll give up will be enough for the Jays even though we have it.

Just MO!

FlyerFanatic
07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
First off this deal will never happen Halladay has a no trade clause and he will not accept a trade to the Reds no matter what we offer. Secondly this may be a ploy from the front office after the Matt Holliday acquisition to keep the village people(the fans) from a lynching. Its awfully coincidental that the news for this came out the same time/day as the Holliday trade?

If we actually we're offering someone I'd guess the biggest pieces are Alonso/Stubbs then one of the aces in double Cozart/Wood. In reality we have the prospects to get Haladay I just dont see it happening, first from the no trade clause, secondly I dont think what we'll give up will be enough for the Jays even though we have it.

Just MO!

i really dont get why the FO would have to say this to keep the fans at bay. the reds arent doing anything this year. at this point its best to look forward to next year, and see if walt will add by subtracting, ie: getting rid of some of the worthless garbage on this team. rosales, taveras, etc.

BLEEDS
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
First off this deal will never happen Halladay has a no trade clause and he will not accept a trade to the Reds no matter what we offer.

According to the article(s), Halliday has made a list of teams he is willing to accept a deal to. Sometimes they throw names like KC, Pirates, and Reds because they think those teams would NEVER make a run at them and/or pay those salary demands.
In this case, I'm not necessarily sure Halliday wouldn't want to come to Cincy versus NY/NY, LA/LA or CHI/CHI... some indications are he prefers a lower-key place.

If we actually we're offering someone I'd guess the biggest pieces are Alonso/Stubbs then one of the aces in double Cozart/Wood. In reality we have the prospects to get Haladay

We sure do, and I'd trade Alonso in a heartbeat. Votto makes him redundant. Stubbs/Heisey are also possibly redundant if we stay with Dickerson in CF. We also have enough pitching "prospects" to throw one out there; none of them are sure things.

It MAY never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen one bit.

Only problem - we STILL need a SS, unless we really think we're making a 2010 run and we stay with Gonzo/Janish and really truly go and get a LF bopper in the offseason.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redssouth
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Do you throw the Canadian Joey Votto in that package to get Halladay? It could be somewhat marketable for Toronto, and it would make room for Yonder. Just a thought.

Krawhitham
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Do you throw the Canadian Joey Votto in that package to get Halladay? It could be somewhat marketable for Toronto, and it would make room for Yonder. Just a thought.

that is insane

Jones1
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Walts already said Votto along with a handful of other Reds is untouchable it will never happen.

redssouth
07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Im not saying I would do it, but what if it was a Votto and a B level prospect?

And the only reason I bring up is the opportunity to pitch a possible marketing plus for the Jays in a down economy. Anything that generates ticket sales in baseball at this point has to be considered.

Jones1
07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Why talk about something that wont happen, thats insane.

BLEEDS
07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Ricciardi added that it isn't just the Jays and what they believe is fair value for Halladay that may be slowing up the dialogue -- although he did tell the Fan later "our asking price my be a little too high" -- that it could be that interested teams may have to make other deals to get the Halladay deal done.

"I think that some of the teams that are interested are trying to maybe move some pieces that they have to acquire the players, they have to go through their exercises. But that's not our problem."

"""

I could see this working on our end. Need to move Harang and/or Arroyo before we can take on Halladay.

Harang for Kemp, Arroyo for Escobar.

Then we trade Bailey, Alonso, Stubbs and Roenicke for Halladay and $2M cash.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

thorn
07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't think the Harang for Kemp deal would work, espically if I'm the dodgers, it will take more. Same for Arroyo, but I like the proposed Halladay trade, I'd do that.

MJA
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Though Halladay certainly isn't the one fix to the Reds problems, I wonder if acquiring Hallady could cause free agents to be more interested in joining the Reds. Imagine the rotation for this team: Halladay, Volquez, Harrang, Arroyo and Cuerto. Thats a pretty awesome 5 man rotation, plus if you keep all 5 starters, the team can experiment with Owings in the field.

This could be a great credibility move for the Reds.

Jones1
07-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I could see this working on our end. Need to move Harang and/or Arroyo before we can take on Halladay.

Harang for Kemp, Arroyo for Escobar.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Youre not serious are you? Theres no way the Dodgers are going to trade Kemp for Harang LOL! I'd like to know what youre taking cause Id like some?