PDA

View Full Version : Wladimir Balentien DFA'd

LoganBuck
07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Worth a shot? I wanted him back in previous Griffey Jr rumors for years. Might be a good change of scenery guy.

nate
07-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Just saw this too. Interesting, I thought he was supposed to be part of the future in Seattle. I guess that .614 OPS didn't cut it.

reds44
07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Just saw this too. Interesting, I thought he was supposed to be part of the future in Seattle. I guess that .614 OPS didn't cut it.
But it does for the Reds!

Matt700wlw
07-25-2009, 02:11 PM
The name alone is worth it. :)

Brutus
07-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I would definitely take a flier on this kid; not for what he is but for what I feel he could still become.

He's 25 years old and displayed tremendous power and solid discipline in the minor leagues. His plate approach has been nothing short of ugly in two years with Seattle, but he's young enough that could still come around with enough seasoning.

I'd take a chance on him. Definitely. He's been awful, no question. But he sure did look the part in his rise through the minor leagues.

fearofpopvol1
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes...the Reds should pursue. He's at the very least a solid platoon player.

Jpup
07-25-2009, 03:21 PM
The problem with signing Wladimir Balentien is that you would....

have to type his name. He is also not very good.

Benihana
07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
It seems like just yesterday jojo was hailing him as the next Vladimir Guerrero. Between him and Jones, it looks like the M's kept the wrong OF.

I'd take a flyer on him.

redsfandan
07-25-2009, 04:56 PM
He'd be a nice pickup for the Reds. Just turned 25 so he still has a chance of panning out and isn't even arbitration eligible yet. Only downside is that he's out of options.

Falls City Beer
07-25-2009, 04:58 PM
It seems like just yesterday jojo was hailing him as the next Vladimir Guerrero. Between him and Jones, it looks like the M's kept the wrong OF.

True.

It's important to remember that MLB is hard. A tiny sliver of even the highest talent in the land sticks.

Topcat
07-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Considering the Seattle team environment, I most definetly jump on this kid and try to reclamation project him.

RedsManRick
07-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Pretty shocking - he's still got off the charts power, but then again, so did Wily Mo. Looks like he just can't make enough contact in the majors. He's one of those guys who got enough talent that he could go from scrub to star if/when he figures it out.

I'd certainly love to have him in AAA, but I doubt he makes it out of the AL. I could see the A's picking him up given their dearth of offense.

KoryMac5
07-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I would be shocked if he fell that far to where the Reds had a shot. Bavasi knows this kid pretty well I would imagine he would want to take a shot. I think the Nats would jump at him.

Brutus
07-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I would be shocked if he fell that far to where the Reds had a shot. Bavasi knows this kid pretty well I would imagine he would want to take a shot. I think the Nats would jump at him.

If Jim Bowden were still around, there's no question they would jump at him. However, this new guy seems to want to do everything that Jim Bowden would not do, which means they may not touch him lol

Sea Ray
07-25-2009, 07:07 PM
From what I've read it sounds like the M's have no intention of waiving this guy. They intend to trade him before the deadline but they needed the roster spot now

RedLegSuperStar
07-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Would be a nice to have Balentien

thatcoolguy_22
07-26-2009, 05:55 AM
I present the Brandon Phillips thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44658&highlight=trade+phillips+indians)

:)

Worth the risk

jojo
07-26-2009, 06:37 PM

I'd take a flyer on him.

I don't remember ever using that language but I do remember suggesting the Reds could probably acquire him in a trade that made sense for them.

He's a pretty lousy fit in Seattle (RHer, mediocre defense at best, not so hot plate discipline) and they've got better options pushing him out of town especially since he's out of options.

Basically Seattle is saying he's going to get traded... He's got potential but now his growing pains would have to occur on the 25 man roster with the Mariners....

I doubt the Reds get a chance at him FWIW....

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't remember ever using that language but I do remember suggesting the Reds could probably acquire him in a trade that made sense for them.

They aren't even the same types of hitters.... I doubt anyone would have made that type of erroneous comparison.