PDA

View Full Version : Reds in "serious talks" about Rolen?

Plus Plus
07-25-2009, 05:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9850064/Sources:-Jays,-Reds-talking-possible-Rolen-deal

The Reds and Blue Jays have had discussions within the past several days about a trade that would send Toronto third baseman Scott Rolen to Cincinnati, major league sources told FOXSports.com on Saturday.

The sides are still trying to determine which players would head to Toronto in the deal, but the source said that third baseman Edwin Encarnacion would be included.

A deal was not imminent as of Saturday afternoon, as Rolen played third base for the Blue Jays during their extra-inning game against Tampa Bay. The possible Rolen trade could also be affected by Toronto's ongoing trade talks relating to Roy Halladay.

Rolen won a World Series while playing for current Reds general manager Walt Jocketty in St. Louis. Cincinnati officials have been looking for a right-handed hitter such as Rolen for much of the season.

Rolen is having his best year since 2006, batting .319 with seven home runs and 37 RBIs.

The Reds, who have lost five straight games, are widely expected to sell at the deadline. But acquiring Rolen would give the team a head start on planning for 2010, since Rolen is already under contract for next year at $11 million.

Unless owner Bob Castellini plans to expand the team's payroll, acquiring Rolen may necessitate that Jocketty move other salaries off the books. One source with knowledge of the team's plans said the Reds have already made right-handers Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo available on the trade market.

Harang will earn $12.5 million next year, Arroyo $11 million.

---------------------------

I would for sure approve this deal. Big Rolen fan, and not a fan of EE at all.

aubashbrother
07-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Get rid of Arroyo and bring in Rolen to offset salaries. If EE is involved that would be extra money for the offseason. Id love to see this next year

1. cf - Dickerson / Stubbs / Heisey
2. C - Hanigan
3. 1st - Votto
4. LF - Sign Vlad to 1 year deal
5. RF - Bruce
6. 3rd - Rolen
7. 2nd - Phillips
8. SS - Someone from outside organization

GIDP
07-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Pretty much useless trade and very typical of the Reds.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Edwin since return .997 OPS
Rolen over the same period .739

What an upgrade.

BlastFurnace
07-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Pretty much useless trade and very typical of the Reds.

Agreed. The time to get Rolen was when he was with the Phillies....years ago. He doesn't have much left in the tank. Not a good move if this happens.

Plus Plus
07-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Edwin defensively- maybe the worst 3b in baseball.
Rolen defensively- GG caliber.

What a downgrade.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM

What a downgrade.

and does nothing to improve this team because we still have 1/3 of an outfield, and no shortstop.

Adding rolen just replaces Edwin, and instead of defense problems you have injury problems looming. Seems like a pointless trade and something I could see the Reds doing considering their love of doing the wrong thing at every point possible.

Plus Plus
07-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I am not disagreeing with you directly, GIDP- I am just stating the other sides to the situation. Maybe the FO thinks that getting better 3b defense will take pressure off of the SS situation? I guess that is a truism, although sort of a sideways one...

GIDP
07-25-2009, 05:23 PM
I am not disagreeing with you directly, GIDP- I am just stating the other sides to the situation. Maybe the FO thinks that getting better 3b defense will take pressure off of the SS situation? I guess that is a truism, although sort of a sideways one...

Yea why not go and fix the useless SS, CF, and 5th starter problem instead of fixing a spot that isnt that bad with a solution that might not be that much better.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Reds need to add Cliff Lee, Scuttaro, and rolen to even remotely be a play off team. Hopefully none of those happen beacuse not only will we miss the playoffs this year anyways we will now be stuck with having not only a terrible team, no prospects left in the minors.

mroby85
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
They waited too long in my opinion. If they were going to make a deal and try to make a push, they shouldve done it weeks ago. Now that they're out of it, they might as well wait until next year outside of trading guys like Weathers, Arroyo for prospects. Not saying this is what I wanted, i'm as impatient with losing as anyone, but I just don't see this year being in the cards now that they've waited this long.

BRM13
07-25-2009, 06:10 PM

What an upgrade.

What a downgrade.

This seems to be a trade-off we've seen a lot of lately with the Reds--less offense, more run prevention. This can work in theory of course, but as a practical mater the Reds have become so inept offensively it is almost not possible to prevent enough runs for them to win. So far this year, compared to last year the team is better at preventing runs, but they have lost even more run production, so net they are further from being a .500 team.

I'd have loved Rolen a few years ago, but he seems like a very risky and very expensive bet. He could cost a lot next year to be injured/rapidly declining on offense. This team doesn't operate with the payroll flexibility to lose a bet like this.

FlyerFanatic
07-25-2009, 06:15 PM
agree with GIDP, worthless trade. just no point in doing so. hopefully walt isnt trying to make this move just to say we made a move. rolen isnt getting any younger. if you wanna trade edwin, trade for some prospects.

Red in Atl
07-25-2009, 06:29 PM

What an upgrade.

Give EE another week or two and he'll be right there. Don't understand your love with EE, but watching him play third for the Reds for the last 4 years is enough for me.

Here's what I'd like to see next year:

Scuarto SS Aquired as FA
Philips 2nd
Votto 1st
Rolen 3rd Aquired through trade
Gomes LF
Bruce RF
Dickerson CF
Hanigan C

Trade Harang and EE to cover salaries of Rolen and Scuarto, who can play SS till one of the kids is ready. Hopefully one of the pitching kids will be ready to start next year but we do have this for now:

Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo
Owings
Bailey

And keep the bullpen intact for now, unless you can do a Weathers and a minor league prospect or two for Matt Kemp of the Dogers who then replaces Gomes in left.

We have a good team, but as long as Hairston, Gonzales, Taveras are starting, we have no chance.

50YrRedsFan
07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
This team is more than one year away. Getting Rolen now would be a waste of prospects, and do little to help over what we have now. Your also talking a big salary, which would tie Jocketty's hands in making other deals. The Reds have tried using retreads in the past and few, if any have made an impact.

50YrRedsFan
07-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Besides the fact Rolen will be 35 at the start of next season. He maybe having a good 2009, but how much upside will be left. At 34 now, he is already on the
downside of a players most productive years.

mrherd05
07-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Why you guys continue to want Dickerson in center over WIlly is just funny.

GIDP
07-25-2009, 06:53 PM

.200 points of OPS and better D, im laughing.

Willy has been better at the plate this month but it hasnt been much, so much to a point that by tomorrow Dickerson could have a higher OPS for the month. Plus we all know Willy isnt going to be any better than he is and its taking a hot streak for him to even out produce dickerson.

FlyerFanatic
07-25-2009, 06:55 PM

i know, did you see that awesome lack of hustle in center that allowed extra bases for the cubs today? speed kills...oh wait...

NastyBoy
07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I would only make the deal if Halladay is thrown it to sweeten the deal. ;)

redsfanmia
07-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Rolen = Buddy Bell circa 1987. Stay away.

aubashbrother
07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
update

http://twitter.com/ed_price/status/2844313819

It's "possible" #Reds could get Scott Rolen from #BlueJays, source said, "but a lot would have to happen."

im guessing that means arroyo , harang or cordero being traded to offset rolens salary

NastyBoy
07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Rolen = Buddy Bell circa 1987. Stay away.

Actually, i was thinking the same thing. Buddy Bell seven GG. Scott Rolen seven GG. But I think Rolen is a better offensive player.

rolenmvp
07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I would say that if alot has to happen, I truly then think that either harang or arroyo or cordero is gone.

aubashbrother
07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
this guy thinks Phillips could be involved which would make NO sense

http://twitter.com/GloBlair/status/2844338221

Jays have always liked Brandon Phillips, who's on outs with Baker. Hmm. Some money might be involved, but ....

GIDP
07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
If Baker has that big of a problem with Phillips then Im sure hes just destined to build the worst offensive team he can possibly build.

aubashbrother
07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
If Baker has that big of a problem with Brandon get rid of Baker not Brandon.

FlyerFanatic
07-25-2009, 07:46 PM
If Baker has that big of a problem with Brandon get rid of Baker not Brandon.

exactly. i think that dude is just saying stuff to get readers. no way is phillips being traded, certainly not because hes on bakers "badside"

Blood Red Path
07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
If this deal is dependent on dropping salaries, why can't we unload Arroyo(possibly in a deal to yanks- maybe landing us hughes), Harang(possibly in a deal to Anaheim to acquire Wood, Izturis or Aybar) and ship Weathers to anyone willing to eat his salary; then use the savings(what a novel concept) to put together a huge offer prospect-laden offer(EE, Bailey, Frazier, Stubbs for example)that could bring us Rolen, Scutaro, and Rios. Than with a re-signing of Scutaro and a deal for a top-to-middle of the rotation starter(Cliff Lee hopefully) we would be in a position to compete next year.

It would be impressive if the FO pulled the trigger on something like that, to prove they have an actual plan.

fewfirstchoice
07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
EE, Phillips, Wood, and Roenicke for Rios, Rolen, and cold hard cash. Works for me if the Jays send over about 5 mil. with rolen and 12-15 with Rios.

aubashbrother
07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I wouldnt do that . Im not a Rios fan at all

GIDP
07-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Maybe im nuts and completely over value the reds players but any deal that involves, Phillips, Edwin, and Wood better be returning more than a 35 year old 3rd baseman with a bad back, and a RF who hasnt done anything since signing a 64 million dollar deal.

mroby85
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe im nuts and completely over value the reds players but any deal that involves, Phillips, Edwin, and Wood better be returning more than a 35 year old 3rd baseman with a bad back, and a RF who hasnt done anything since signing a 64 million dollar deal.

I agree with you about Phillips. I think you may be giving Edwin more credit than he deserves. His only saving grace is his potential, nothing he's ever really done on the field. Personally I'm about fed up with him, but I'd definitely not deal Phillips. I agree with you about that.

GIDP
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I agree with you about Phillips. I think you may be giving Edwin more credit than he deserves. His only saving grace is his potential, nothing he's ever really done on the field. Personally I'm about fed up with him, but I'd definitely not deal Phillips. I agree with you about that.

Believe it or not potential is pretty valuable. You wouldnt trade Burton for a David Weathers clone.

Blood Red Path
07-26-2009, 01:43 AM
I wouldnt do that . Im not a Rios fan at all

You may not be a fan, but the facts are:

Rios's OPS+ previous 3 seasons: 111, 122, 120.

He is a 28 year-old right-handed corner outfielder that can bat effectively in the 2-through-6 holes of the order. A Rios/Bruce/Dickerson OF could be very legitimate offensively next season, and it is one we could keep together longterm.

BLEEDS
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually it makes perfect sense. Both are FA's after 2010. We have about 6 3B prospects in the pipeline, with Frazier leading the way who will be ready to take over in 2011.

The D at 3rd is HORRENDOUS, even if Rolen "only" gets an OPS+ of 110 next year, his D will be leaps and bounds ahead of EE.

Not sure what the "other things" would be to make this happen, but no way are they taking on an Arroyo or Harang. As has been discussed 1,000 times, the Jays are in salary dump mode.

We still need a SS, but I'm starting to get in the camp of those that think we are simply going to NOT not pick up Gonzalez's option next year and he plays his last year at SS.
I have no problem with that IFF they get Taveras out of the OF, and get another CF or LF. I still like Harang for Kemp to solve that issue.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GIDP
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Edwin wont be be able to become a FA until after 2011

BLEEDS
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
That is true, he has one year of arb left. Problem is he's due $4.75M in 2010, and then Arb is only going to increase his salary.

We have Frazier and others who can take over in 2011 for much much cheaper and probably just as good or possibly way better production.

Let him take his arbitration year somewhere else.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

DannyB
07-26-2009, 11:54 AM

What a downgrade.

Thats only untill his back goes out.

bounty37h
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Believe it or not potential is pretty valuable. You wouldnt trade Burton for a David Weathers clone.

I dont know, isnt he back on the DL-again? I might at least consider that actually, we know what we get from Weathers, adn it hasnt been half bad.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I dont know, isnt he back on the DL-again? I might at least consider that actually, we know what we get from Weathers, adn it hasnt been half bad.

Would you trade Jay Bruce for Jermaine Dye then? I mean Bruce is on the DL, and we will know what we get from Dye.

bounty37h
07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Would you trade Jay Bruce for Jermaine Dye then? I mean Bruce is on the DL, and we will know what we get from Dye.

haha, nope, but it seems Burton has injury problems (maybe, just seems he is constantly hurt) that may hinder him from ever being more then prospect, not just on DL. Two different situations really.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
haha, nope, but it seems Burton has injury problems (maybe, just seems he is constantly hurt) that may hinder him from ever being more then prospect, not just on DL. Two different situations really.

How about Cueto or Volquez for Roy Oswalt. I guess we just see things differently.

bounty37h
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
How about Cueto or Volquez for Roy Oswalt. I guess we just see things differently.

Again, I am saying I see a pattern of injury proneness for Burton over the last couple seasons (at least it seems that way), not as much with these other guys.

Girevik
07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I have no problem getting rid of EE, but I don't think I want to pick up a guy that will be on the hook for $11 mil next year.

Slyder
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
So a team that SHOULD be salers is going to trade one 3b whos defense sucks now for a 3b whos defense is good right now but could suck by this time next year due to his back and makes MORE money... yes that sounds like a great plan thats bound to work out fine...

If they bring Rolen in it will be no different than us bringing in Ramon Hernandez this year.

bounty37h
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
So a team that SHOULD be salers is going to trade one 3b whos defense sucks now for a 3b whos defense is good right now but could suck by this time next year due to his back and makes MORE money... yes that sounds like a great plan thats bound to work out fine...

If they bring Rolen in it will be no different than us bringing in Ramon Hernandez this year.

^I dont think they are all that similar, and Ramon worked out great for us this year until hurt, I cant tell if your arguing for or against the move.

Slyder
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
It would make more sense if it were "the final piece" but the offense would still be attrocious if Rolen was brought in and replaced Edwin. If it were replacing Willy T and we kept Edwin (moved to LF) and benched Hairston/Tavares I'd be gung ho in favor of the idea because that would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade offensively even if Rolen fell off a bit the rest of this year and next.

But as of right now it would be grasping at straws and I don't see it making ENOUGH difference to trade Edwin for a guy making MORE money.

sivman17
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
the rolen would makes no sense to me. they waited way too long to find that "missing piece" to this club. they needed to be making moves 3 weeks ago when we were still in the thick of things. why would we get rid of edwin for rolen? makes no sense to me

GIDP
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Getting Rolen is fine but you dont trade Edwin for him. If your problem with Edwin in 3rd you move him to another position. We have Edwin for 2 years still after this season. Its hard to imagine that Rolen and Edwin is a far swap.

BLEEDS
07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Getting Rolen is fine but you dont trade Edwin for him. If your problem with Edwin in 3rd you move him to another position. We have Edwin for 2 years still after this season. Its hard to imagine that Rolen and Edwin is a far swap.

I think I outlined the thought process, whether or not you agree with it.

1 - they hate EE's Defense, Rolen's D is a huge upgrade.
2 - they can't handle waiting for EE to "Break Out" offensively, at least with Rolen you know what to expect, even with the risk of his back, which some must consider at least in the same realm as the risk that EE can't get better
3 - EE is due $4.75M next year, and in 2011 his Arb number can be expected to be at least 50% if not upwards of up to 100% more. There is a reason they signed him to a 2 year deal and not a 3 year deal. They don't think he's worth it
4 - Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco, and to a lesser extend Yonder Alonso, are all viable candidates to produce near/at/above EE in 2011, at about 1/10th or 1/15th the cost.

That combination of events would ellicit a move for a proven veteran at 3B who's contract also is set to end after 2010; warts and all.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

sammonator
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM

Agree. I'm not ready to give up on Edwin yet. .251 last year, 26 HR, just has been a bad year for him so far with injuries.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I think I outlined the thought process, whether or not you agree with it.

1 - they hate EE's Defense, Rolen's D is a huge upgrade.
2 - they can't handle waiting for EE to "Break Out" offensively, at least with Rolen you know what to expect, even with the risk of his back, which some must consider at least in the same realm as the risk that EE can't get better
3 - EE is due $4.75M next year, and in 2011 his Arb number can be expected to be at least 50% if not upwards of up to 100% more. There is a reason they signed him to a 2 year deal and not a 3 year deal. They don't think he's worth it
4 - Todd Frazier, Juan Francisco, and to a lesser extend Yonder Alonso, are all viable candidates to produce near/at/above EE in 2011, at about 1/10th or 1/15th the cost.

That combination of events would ellicit a move for a proven veteran at 3B who's contract also is set to end after 2010; warts and all.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Great now ill remind myself that your post is your opinion and you have nothing to back up anything that you have said other than your opinion.

BLEEDS
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Great now ill remind myself that your post is your opinion and you have nothing to back up anything that you have said other than your opinion.

Hopefully you do that with all posts on here. Get a grip. :thumbdown

Like I said, you can agree with it or not, but that is some of the ideas behind why they would consider the move.

Being "under control" has nothing to do with it. Maybe they don't want to be "in control" of him?
They currently have Taveras, Lincoln, Gonzo, Arroyo, and Harang under control for the next year+ as well. Doesn't mean they necessarily want or should keep them.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GIDP
07-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I really just dont care for your attitude with people as if you cant be wrong. It really means nothing to me what you think and certainly doesnt mean anything to me when you are trying to tell my how someone else is thinking.

BLEEDS
07-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I really just dont care for your attitude with people as if you cant be wrong. It really means nothing to me what you think and certainly doesnt mean anything to me when you are trying to tell my how someone else is thinking.

I'm the one with the attitude? :rolleyes:

Nice! That's a good one.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GIDP
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm the one with the attitude? :rolleyes:

Nice! That's a good one.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
Yes

BLEEDS
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes

Okay.

BLEEDS
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/reds-are-sellers-close-to-making-a-deal.html

Reds Still Eyeing Scott Rolen
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 28, 2009 at 11:14am CST]

TUESDAY, 11:14am: Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the Reds "haven't ruled out" a Rolen acquisition, but must wait to see what the Jays do with Roy Halladay first.

Seems like this is the kicker. They have to trade Hallady first, so that they can then afford to pay part of Rolen's salary.

I think it's going to happen.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
i would trade EE for an autograph from rolen. so yes, i hope this can pan out in our favor.

Ohioballplayer
07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
You are all assuming that Mr. Scott Rolen would waive his no trade clause to come to a 5th place club???

Have a few more :beerme:

BLEEDS
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
You are all assuming that Mr. Scott Rolen would waive his no trade clause to come to a 5th place club???

Have a few more :beerme:

Well he is a local guy, an Ohioballplayer you might say...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

sammonator
07-30-2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2009/07/30/10308921-sun.html

"The Cincinnati Reds met last night to decide to come up with a package to land third baseman Scott Rolen."

GIDP
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I hear no other names out there connected with Rolen. Makes you wonder how much trade value he really has.

BLEEDS
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2009/07/30/10308921-sun.html

"The Cincinnati Reds met last night to decide to come up with a package to land third baseman Scott Rolen."

Good find.

I thought Halladay moving was key to the Rolen trade. I'll guess we will see how much salary gets moved here. I'm guessing not much, meaning we are going to have to add some salary.

Really though, we're only paying about $6M more to pay Rolen vs. EE next year - if indeed that is the trade.
Perhaps now we aren't going to move EE, but I don't see how he can stick here if they bring in another 3B-man.
Many people don't see EE to LF as a viable option, something about if he can't throw from 3rd to 1st, imagine how he'd throw from LF to the plate. I'm guessing he'd be quite serviceable in LF, but do we take on $11M to add Rolen? I think not.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
seriously, dont trade for rolen...injury waiting to happen

texasdave
07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
For some odd reason I cannot get the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Thompson Gunner" out of my head. I am taking that as a sign that this trade is going to happen.

"Talkin' about the man!"

sammonator
07-30-2009, 01:31 PM
http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/07/dodgers-now-fro.html

The Cincinnati Reds are talking to the Blue Jays about the possibility of acquiring infielder Scott Rolen in exchange for minor-league prospect Yonder Alonso. The first baseman is a product of the University of Miami and carries a big bat. He was the Reds' first pick (seventh overall) in the 2008 draft.

Please don't be true. No way.

CySeymour
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/07/dodgers-now-fro.html

The Cincinnati Reds are talking to the Blue Jays about the possibility of acquiring infielder Scott Rolen in exchange for minor-league prospect Yonder Alonso. The first baseman is a product of the University of Miami and carries a big bat. He was the Reds' first pick (seventh overall) in the 2008 draft.

Please don't be true. No way.

I hope not, too.

Sad thing is, I think this team actually needs top of the order hitters worse than they need middle of the order hitters.

GIDP
07-30-2009, 01:39 PM
12:34pm: No mention of Alonso from him, but Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun tweets, "Looks like Rolen to Reds has a 'good chance' of getting done."

I thought edwin for rolen was a bad deal but Alonso for Rolen would be 10 times worse.

sammonator
07-30-2009, 01:47 PM
12:34pm: No mention of Alonso from him, but Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun tweets, "Looks like Rolen to Reds has a 'good chance' of getting done."

I thought edwin for rolen was a bad deal but Alonso for Rolen would be 10 times worse.

Agreed!!! Has to be something else or other players involved. No way Alonso for Rolen straight up.

GIDP
07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
There is no way they have alonso in the deal. I honestly dont see that one being even remotely possible.

SoTxRedsFan
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Even if Toronto eats a ton of Rolen's salary this would be a terrible trade.

What happens with Edwin if we get Rolen? Do they move him to LF? Try to find another team to take him off of our hands?

This would truly suck if it happened.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
There is no way they have alonso in the deal. I honestly dont see that one being even remotely possible.

I agree unless Halladay, or Rios is involved but if we are just getting Rolen no way Alonso is involved

sammonator
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Rolen, Rios

EE, Alonso, Bailey?

Shawn_RedsFan
07-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Rolen, Rios

EE, Alonso, Bailey?

That is a horrrrrrrrible deal for us

wojo1025
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
This is as honest as I've been on this board. If they trade Alonso straight up for Rolen I will never root for this team again. :confused:

Hmmm, guess I will start shopping around the MLB to see who my new "favorite team" will be.

improbus
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
2005-2009 stats for two 3B, who is who? (stats per 162 games)

3B #1 .280/.352/.452 (.804 OPS); 17 HR's, 87 RBI's

3B #2 .262/.344/.449 (.793 OPS); 22 HR's, 83 RBI's

Pretty similar numbers...Here is where they are different.

3B #1 - 2010 salary - $11 million w/ $4 million dollar bonus owed in 2010 and 34 years old

3B #2 - 2010 salary - $4.75 mil and 26 years old.

Why do we want Scott Rolen again?

GIDP
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Rolens D makes him a better player than Edwin I dont think there is any denying that.

MotownRed
07-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Is Yonder still on the minor league DL list?

thorn
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM
This is as honest as I've been on this board. If they trade Alonso straight up for Rolen I will never root for this team again. :confused:

Hmmm, guess I will start shopping around the MLB to see who my new "favorite team" will be.

Unfortunately I've tried this, I am an Angels fan now, but in reality I can't stop following the Reds, it's in my blood I guess. I still check on them and follow them more than I do the Angels, it's like a drug, and I don't know how to stop.

SoTxRedsFan
07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
1:39pm: A Ken Rosenthal/Jon Paul Morosi source says the Reds-Rolen talks are "going nowhere." The writers suggest a Halladay trade could help move things along.

improbus
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Rolens D makes him a better player than Edwin I dont think there is any denying that.

But, 3B is NOT our position of need. CF, LF, SS, are ALL greater needs than 3B. EE healthy is a solid player and has a solid contract.

GIDP
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
But, 3B is NOT our position of need. CF, LF, SS, are ALL greater needs than 3B. EE healthy is a solid player and has a solid contract.

Im not disagreeing. I dont know if I would trade Edwin for Rolen straight up. Pretty sure id be against it because I dont trust Rolens health at all. Reds dont view CF as a problem given that they still have Taveras. Same for SS considering they keep playing Gonzo there, and LF considering they went into the season with nothing but bench players slated to play it. We really have no idea what the Reds are thinking but i think its safe to say they dont view CF and SS to be problems.

GIDP
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
2:00pm: CBSSports' Danny Knobler says the Jays would get Edwin Encarnacion and others, if this does get done. The sticking point appears to be how much of Rolen's remaining $15MM the Jays would assume.

"and others" is something that scares me more than anything.

BSUFB
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
"and others" = Dusty Baker?

thorn
07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Everyone on the field today not named Votto, Phillips and Cueto could be an "Other" IMO.

BLEEDS
07-30-2009, 04:07 PM
2:00pm: CBSSports' Danny Knobler says the Jays would get Edwin Encarnacion and others, if this does get done. The sticking point appears to be how much of Rolen's remaining $15MM the Jays would assume.

"and others" is something that scares me more than anything.

Okay, I can buy that.

If it was Alonso, I might have to have seriously considered my fandom.

However, as has been duly noted, aka :deadhorse, if we keep trotting out Taveras and SS du jour at 1 and 2, there's really no difference to be found in who we trot out to bat 3-7.
It could be:
3 - Votto
4 - Manny Ramirez
5 - Alex Rodriquez
6 - Rolen
7 - BP

They couldn't overcome the 4 outs to be given away in the rest of the lineup at CF, SS, C and P.
You're basically starting the game with 20 outs remaining max, probably much less, even with Hanigan and his current OBP/SLG out there.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

markymark69
07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm not saying that I am proponent of trading Alonso. But where will he play? Votto is the first baseman and he will remain the first baseman for the forseeable future.

I don't think the Reds brass think he can play left field and Alonso is a first baseman and that's it.

Just a thought.

Captain Hook
07-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Reds dont view CF as a problem given that they still have Taveras. Same for SS considering they keep playing Gonzo there, and LF considering they went into the season with nothing but bench players slated to play it. We really have no idea what the Reds are thinking but i think its safe to say they dont view CF and SS to be problems.

I sure hope that even if they had thought SS and CF are no problem up to this point, that they are now realizing that they are WRONG.Dead WRONG.There are a few other issues that the team has but we have the worse CF and SS in all of baseball.Not only that we bat them 1 and 2.The other issues are minor in comparison.

This front office seems to like to address the lesser issues in hope that the bigger issues just somehow work their selves out.Its not a bad idea to do that the other way around.We will loose over 90 games next year if they don't figure this out soon.And oh yeah, they need to fire Baker to.

texasdave
07-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Does the "serious talk" stage begin when Walt says "Trade us Rolen, pretty please with sugar on top. I'll be your best friend"?