PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota Reds = Lynchburg Hillcats?

JaxRed
07-26-2009, 11:08 AM
So I've been trying to find some confirmation that with the Orioles coming to Sarasota, that they would take over Sarasota Reds and Reds would flip franchises and end up as Frederick (Md.) Keys.

Instead I found a different take in this article

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090726/ARTICLE/907261039/2050/SPORTS?Title=Headed-in-different-directions

which includes the quote: "Although the summers likely will be quiet, since the Reds' FSL team will be relocated, likely to Bradenton as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates."

So, Sarasota become Bradenton Pirates (next season) which would mean Reds would flip franchises and become the Lynchburg (VA) Hillcats.

At least for one season. Teams can change affiliations after 2010

aubashbrother
07-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I live about 30 miles from Lynchburg so thatd be pretty cool

JaxRed
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Enjoy it. It may not last. at the end of 2010, every Carolina League team except Salem comes up for renewal, and 2 new teams will transfer from the Cal League. So they could end up a lot of places. (All of which will be better than Sarasota)

Brutus
07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm actually very pleased the minor league affiliations are becoming so regionalized all over Major League Baseball. It only makes sense from an interest and fan support standpoint, not to mention the travel costs involved.

In 10 years, I'd expect most every team will have their AAA, AA and A teams primarily within a 300, 400-mile radius of the big league club.

lollipopcurve
07-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Good. Carolina League >>> Florida State League

Scrap Irony
07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Better way to gauge offensive and pitching numbers as well.

Edd Roush
07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for doing these updates, Jax. I really enjoy them.

Newman4
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd love to see Huntington WV eventually become the Reds High A affiliate. It would be a logical location in "Reds Country" and would fit nicely into the Carolina League. Nearby Charleston has been invaded by the Pirates for their Low A team. Reds and Huntington would mutually one-up them if the above could come into being.

JaxRed
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Problem is..... Huntington is Low A ball also. So odds of that happening are as essentially zero.

Slyder
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd love to see Huntington WV eventually become the Reds High A affiliate. It would be a logical location in "Reds Country" and would fit nicely into the Carolina League. Nearby Charleston has been invaded by the Pirates for their Low A team. Reds and Huntington would mutually one-up them if the above could come into being.

Charleston doesnt have the fan base to be much more than Low A, and Huntington has even less fan base to support a low A team. The metro area of Huntington wouldn't give credence to the team. I know, I asked them about possibly moving up and the cost involved would be too prohibitive. The city of Charleston use to have AAA baseball many, many, many years ago but at that time the metro area had a much higher population at that time. Neither Charleston nor Huntington could support much more than whats already here let alone 2 competing teams at near equal level.

flash
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Dothan, Alabama is looking for a minor league franchise and I believe Columbus, Georgia and Panama City Florida are too. I believe all three have stadiums. It would be interesting to see if a military town (Fort Benning and Rucker) would support a team. Pensacola might be looking also.

But just about anywhere would be better than Sarasota and its 200 a night crowds.

HokieRed
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Got to remember there are only three High A leagues, Florida State, California, and Carolina. IMHO, Carolina makes by far the best sense for the Reds. It's often regarded the best of those leagues and is the closest to Cinti. It would make sense with the AA franchise now at Carolina. The Reds have been in there briefly for two stints during the past 20 years or so: back in Chad Mottola days at Winston-Salem, and then for one year several years ago at Potomac before the Nats were formed and they got that franchise. It's only an 8 team league; the Nats aren't moving from Potomac and Boston owns Salem now. Franchises don't turn over in major league affiliations very often. Lynchburg has been Pirates for many years and the Pirates were in Salem for a long long time before that. If the Pirates are looking to consolidate in the Bradenton area, Lynchburg would make a lot of sense for the Reds and would be a pretty unique opportunity to get into the Carolina league.

aubashbrother
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
So is this supposed to be confirmed anytime or really going to happen that they are gonna play in Lynchburg. Id love to see it happen I could get to alot of games and give reports if so. Ive been to a couple of the Hillcats game this year primarily to watch some top prospects play like Alvarez and and Wieters

JaxRed
07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
It may not be confirmed either way for weeks or months.

HokieRed
07-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I think we'll find that if Lynchburg opens up, a bunch of teams will at least come calling. That's been the usual practice on the rare occasion when Carolina franchises do change.

JaxRed
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Except if they flip the franchises after this season, ONLY the Reds can go there. After 2010, Lynchburg could be almost any team's High A club, and the Reds could go to almost any High A franchise. But for 2010, if there is a flip, Reds can only go to Lynchburg.

gedred69
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I believe the Reds own the Sarasota franchise, if so it is not an affiliate. They would need someone to buy the franchise I would think. That would please me to no end, since Sarasota dissed the Reds so badly, offering Boston the sun, moon, and stars, and giving the O's at least 3/4 of that. (The Reds will live to regret Az. though, just like the Cubs). Sarasota is great for ST, but playing there in the Summer is like being in an oven. Carolina sounds good to me..

JaxRed
08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
It's rumored that Pitt is buying the franchise.

JaxRed
09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, 2 different articles indicated that Sarsota Reds have played their last game ever, but no indication who is replacing them.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=11044792

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=11044792

RED VAN HOT
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
The other half of the change is the AZL Reds. I lived in Yuma for two years. The good news is that they should not have as high a number of rained out games as the GCL Reds. The bad news is that in mid-summer they have a window between midnight and 9AM to play without risk of spontaneous player combustion.

malcontent
09-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I lived in Yuma for two years.
You have my admiration.

Does Yuma have any trees?

RED VAN HOT
09-06-2009, 01:42 AM
You have my admiration.

Does Yuma have any trees?

It depends. If you go east for about 60 miles you start to see Seguaro cacti. They qualify as trees in the minds of some. Yuma is said to have nine months of summer and three months of hell. The hot weather extends from mid-April to mid-October so some may quibble with that.

During the two years I was there, it was the Padres spring training site. I have a vivid memory of attending a youth soccer match and looking through a chain link fence onto an adjacent field where Ozzie Smith was doing back flips. A fan angered by Dave Winfield's contract demands, heckled him relentlessly by yelling 'pirate' whenever he batted.

For those traveling to Goodyear next spring, the southwest Arizona weather is excellent at that time of year.

JaxRed
09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I still haven't heard how they plan to handle Spring Training and AZL with an uneven amount of teams.

Edd Roush
09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Jax, at this point does it appear that the Reds' high A team next year will play in Lynchburg?

JaxRed
09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I say 33% chance. Either Pirates buy franchise and move it to Bradenton (which is only rumor we've heard) and Reds go to Lynchburg for at least 1 season, or Orioles buy franchise and keep it in Sarasota and Reds go to Frederick for a season, or everyone waits one year till the normal affiliation swap.

The media down there is sure convinced the Reds are gone. But they never say who gets the franchise.

redsmetz
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I still haven't heard how they plan to handle Spring Training and AZL with an uneven amount of teams.

I found this little tidbit on springtrainingonline.com

Tucson officials court Japanese team for spring training

With the defection of the Chicago White Sox this year and the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies after Spring Training 2010, Tucson officials are proactively seeking a pro Japanese team to fill the slack at Tucson Electric Field as a member of the Cactus League.

The Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority authorized Jack Donovan to negotiate potential leases with Japanese teams; he'll be leaving for Japan later this month and has a deadline of September 15 to make a deal.

The goal is to bring in one team for 2010 and two for 2011, all as playing members of the Cactus League. The Japanese team would share Tucson Electric Park with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2010. MLB officials so far have encouraged efforts to bring in a Japanese team, presumably as a way to even out the scheduling in coming years: with the Cincinnati Reds moving to Goodyear in 2010, there is now an odd number (15) of teams in the Cactus League. Adding a Japanese team would make scheduling easy.

One thing we have heard from the MLB side: if a Japanese team is added, don't look for it to play a full complement of home games in Tucson. That team will likely play more games in Phoenix as a road team, fodder for the 13 teams playing in the Valley of the Sun.

gedred69
09-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Referring back to some of the older posts to this thread, if there was anyway the Reds could locate a High "A" team in Huntington, it would be a brilliant move for the fan base. Support for the Reds from that region is more than significant. Did anybody notice the turn out there for the Caravan last Winter?

RED VAN HOT
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
The Yakult Swallows used to hold spring training in Yuma.

Also, I don't see that the odd number of teams is a serious problem in Arizona with so many teams in Phoenix. Teams can alternate splitting their squads. The travel is minimal. Each team would need to split twice.

Also, the problem seems to be more serious in Florida which will also have an odd number of teams. In Florida there is a west coast/east coast distribution that makes scheduling more difficult.

marcshoe
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Referring back to some of the older posts to this thread, if there was anyway the Reds could locate a High "A" team in Huntington, it would be a brilliant move for the fan base. Support for the Reds from that region is more than significant. Did anybody notice the turn out there for the Caravan last Winter?

I'd love to see it, but I don't think Huntington has either the facilities or the money to build facilities. Marshall's baseball team plays a number of their games in Appalachian Power Park in Charleston, even.

HokieRed
09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
More important for Huntington is that it's just not close enough to a High A League.

marcshoe
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
The Rookie League team that tried to play in St. Cloud Commons was a joke. otoh, The WV Power started doing okay once they positioned themselves as a regional team.

But that would be a major problem now--the Power's drawing from the larger area (I've even known groups from Ironton to head over). I think the ideal location for a team would be the Teays Valley area, but I doubt Charleston would let that happen.

Huntington, really, isn't positioned for much of anything right now. I was in Lynchburg last month and was surprised at how much the city had grown. Huntington, otoh, is just a shadow of what it used to be (and I'm old enough to remember downtown.)

JaxRed
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I just got some info that indicated the Reds ARE going to Lynchburg !!

Brutus
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I just got some info that indicated the Reds ARE going to Lynchburg !!

I assume this is a one-year PDC with the Reds shopping for a permanent home in 2010?

JaxRed
09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I assume so also

aubashbrother
09-29-2009, 10:06 PM
that would be great. only a 25 minute drive to lynchburg from my town and i work in lynchburg so id get to see ALOT of games

Edd Roush
09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Great news. I hope the Reds make this their permanent home for their High A team.

JaxRed
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Made the MLB web site:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091029&content_id=7573468&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

muddie
10-31-2009, 08:38 AM
I am thrilled the Reds are moving to Lynchburg. Living in North Carolina as I do, this will give me several chance to see the Hillcats. They will play Kinston and Winston-Salem in state and Lynchburg isn't that far from here either. We made the trip up years back. Having a Reds affiliate in the Carolina League will be super.

redsmetz
11-01-2009, 08:47 AM
That puts all of the Reds teams above Rookie ball no more than 600 or so miles from Cincy (with Carolina being the furthest). How long will I-40 be closed because of the rock slide? (it was I-40 right?)

muddie
11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
It was indeed I-40. I'm located in the Raleigh area but I know that the cleanup is still taking place. It will take another month or two to complete the work and the area is not totally open to traffic yet. These things happen every several years but this one is a biggie.

redsmetz
11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
It was indeed I-40. I'm located in the Raleigh area but I know that the cleanup is still taking place. It will take another month or two to complete the work and the area is not totally open to traffic yet. These things happen every several years but this one is a biggie.

So by baseball season, it ought to be done. I mentioned it because on Google Maps, they seemed to have factored the I-40 closure in and gave three possible routes from Cincy.

muddie
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
My wife, who is an employee of the North Carolina Department of Transportation says the cleanup should be complete by then. However, there is a plan to repave the damaged artery. This can't begin until sometime in March when the temperatures permit for paving. There will be a temporary route at that point in time. Stay tuned...

If you're thinking of making the trip down this way let me know. I have discussed with my wife going to Louisville and Lynchburg this season. Longer shot, I'd like to go to Dayton and Cincy as well. Last year a retired couple traveled down from Dayton to see the Mudcats. That was really nice to see.