PDA

View Full Version : Terry Reynolds on the Reds third base prospects

OnBaseMachine
07-26-2009, 10:34 PM
In the latest Reds organizational report on Baseball America, Terry Reynolds was asked to comment on the Reds third base prospects. He says Juan Francisco is probably at the level he belongs and Neftali Soto is a level ahead of where he should be. I agree that Soto has probably been rushed a bit but I agreed with the decision to start him in High-A. However, I would have him repeat High-A next season, same with Juan Francisco and Double-A.

Reynolds also made an interesting comment on Todd Frazier. He says everyone knows Frazier can play third base and it will come down to who can help the Reds the most at 3B. It sounds to me like the Reds still view Frazier as a 3B, which is great news IMO because that's where he provides the most value.

GIDP
07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
In the latest Reds organizational report on Baseball America, Terry Reynolds was asked to comment on the Reds third base prospects. He says Juan Francisco is probably at the level he belongs and Neftali Soto is a level ahead of where he should be. I agree that Soto has probably been rushed a bit but I agreed with the decision to start him in High-A. However, I would have him repeat High-A next season, same with Juan Francisco and Double-A.

Reynolds also made an interesting comment on Todd Frazier. He says everyone knows Frazier can play third base and it will come down to who can help the Reds the most at 3B. It sounds to me like the Reds still view Frazier as a 3B, which is great news IMO because that's where he provides the most value.
I have said before that I think that they arent playing him at 3rd mainly because they know he can play it and others need the practice. Glad to see a little bit of confirmation on that one.

Frazier as a 3rd baseman is a very good prospect. Deserving of being right up there if not ahead of Yonder if you ask me.

mound_patrol
07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I have said before that I think that they arent playing him at 3rd mainly because they know he can play it and others need the practice. Glad to see a little bit of confirmation on that one.

Frazier as a 3rd baseman is a very good prospect. Deserving of being right up there if not ahead of Yonder if you ask me.

It's great getting that confirmation as many were starting to wonder how the Reds brass felt about Frazier and third base. But I feel like they should start getting him some playing time over there since he is the closest thing to a major league third baseman in our farm system.

GIDP
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
It's great getting that confirmation as many were starting to wonder how the Reds brass felt about Frazier and third base. But I feel like they should start getting him some playing time over there since he is the closest thing to a major league third baseman in our farm system.

Yea it does make you wonder why he didnt get much time there when Fransisco was out.

GOYA
07-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Bankston needs to be dealt so Frazier can move to Louisville. He could go somewhere and play LF. He's definitely not a 3B as evidenced by Sweet taking him out in the late innings for defensive purposes. (Griffin or Eymann)

IslandRed
07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Frazier's situation sounds similar to Votto's a couple of years ago, when people were wondering if the time he was logging in left field in Louisville meant they didn't think he could hack it at first.

I'm not a huge fan of the philosophy. I don't mind a little cross-training, I guess, because you never know for sure where a guy will be needed initially on the big club. "A little" being the operative phrase, though. If someone can play one of the more demanding defensive positions, I'd rather not go so far as to change their primary position, even if it's not meant to be permanent.

UK Reds Fan
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
That make counter-intuitive sense.

a. You have a hole at 3B on the big league team.
b. You have a potential replacement player that can play 3B well
c. You have other prospects at 3B, but none currently grade as high as Frazier nor look to be productive at major league level as quick as Frazier.

So you put your best 3B prospect in the outfield for vast majority of 2009 minor league season?

Color me skeptical.

princeton
07-27-2009, 02:35 PM
That make counter-intuitive sense.

a. You have a hole at 3B on the big league team.
b. You have a potential replacement player that can play 3B well
c. You have other prospects at 3B, but none currently grade as high as Frazier nor look to be productive at major league level as quick as Frazier.

So you put your best 3B prospect in the outfield for vast majority of 2009 minor league season?

Color me skeptical.

Reds' handling of Frazier has been zany.

texasdave
07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Except the Reds don't have a hole at 3B. He may not have blossomed into an All-Star, but I wouldn't call Encarnacion a hole.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Except the Reds don't have a hole at 3B. He may not have blossomed into an All-Star, but I wouldn't call Encarnacion a hole.

yea its more like a divot. A hole would be if Jerry Hairston was our best option and nothing in the pipeline going into a FA year.

UK Reds Fan
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM

EE is OPSing below 700 this year. His career OPS is not quite 800...which isn't bad. But when you figure in his brutal glove at 3B...he isn't a strength and as he becomes more expensive, the Reds need to find production from farm system if possible for a fraction of EE's salary.

If Frazier is a potential candidate that can upgrade EE's glove and quite probably equal his bat at a fraction of the cost...why would you not get him prepped?

I stand by my earlier statement, the Reds don't see Frazier as much as a big league 3B in the field which is why they are sticking him all over the place but 3B.

princeton
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
the Reds don't see Frazier as much as a big league 3B in the field which is why they are sticking him all over the place but 3B.

for a couple of years, I've been saying that maybe he should be catching. he might be less than a year away by now. still not too late.

if Reds are going to sandbag his offensive development while starting him all over again in the field, then why not learn a position of high value?

TRF
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
EE is OPSing below 700 this year. His career OPS is not quite 800...which isn't bad. But when you figure in his brutal glove at 3B...he isn't a strength and as he becomes more expensive, the Reds need to find production from farm system if possible for a fraction of EE's salary.

Ugh. not seeing the forest for the trees.

EE's OPS this year, at this point means nothing. His putrid April numbers can pretty much be attributed to his wrist injury. These are his numbers since returning from the DL: .273 .377 .545 .922

Last year he OPS'd over .900 in three different months. All this and he's just 26.

He OPS'd over .800 the last two seasons and was poised for a huge jump in numbers this year. Offensively, EE is not a problem. Defensively? Well we all know that argument by now.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Ugh. not seeing the forest for the trees.

EE's OPS this year, at this point means nothing. His putrid April numbers can pretty much be attributed to his wrist injury. These are his numbers since returning from the DL: .273 .377 .545 .922

Last year he OPS'd over .900 in three different months. All this and he's just 26.

He OPS'd over .800 the last two seasons and was poised for a huge jump in numbers this year. Offensively, EE is not a problem. Defensively? Well we all know that argument by now.

Not to nitpick, but his OPS is .786 over the last 2 seasons (assuming you mean beginning of '08-present).

Also, his line since his return is in 66 at bats.

BRM
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Not to nitpick, but his OPS is .786 over the last 2 seasons (assuming you mean beginning of '08-present).

Point is, he is hitting very well now that he is healthy.

TRF
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM

I meant 07-08. 2009 for EE is getting his stroke back, building strength. But I am not going to derail this thread like I have so many others.. :)

I don't think Frazier is an option at 3B because the Reds don't think Frazier is an option at 3B.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
It also could mean they really want him to be a LF option, but know he is a 3rd base option.

We can play this game all day. I think its just nice to know they actually do recognize him as a 3rd base option regardless of where he might end up.