PDA

View Full Version : Reds close to making a deal

aubashbrother
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com

Jeff Fletcher of AOL FanHouse hears that the Reds are close to making a deal after top team officials spoke on a conference call this morning. The Reds, fifth in the NL Central, are sellers and have pitchers like Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang and Francisco Cordero who could all appeal to teams seeking pitching.

The Dodgers have interest in Arroyo and Harang, but only if their pursuit of Cliff Lee falls through. The Reds would likely have to take on salary in any deal involving Harang or Arroyo.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I think its Victor Martinez, and Cliff Lee obviously.

CySeymour
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I think its Victor Martinez, and Cliff Lee obviously.

You sure it wouldn't be Hanley Ramirez? :rolleyes:

GIDP
07-27-2009, 03:47 PM
You sure it wouldn't be Hanley Ramirez? :rolleyes:

Well if we can swing it im sure we will get it done.

thorn
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Well if we can swing it im sure we will get it done.

I must not be on the inside, cause I'm not getting this, what do these 3 players have to do with a possible trade?

GIDP
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Its who we are trading for.

CySeymour
07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
And I am having my tongue planted firmly in my cheek

wojo1025
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Reds are not sellers and have continued discussions with the Blue Jays about Scott Rolen. Knobler says there's a chance they'll acquire him to solidify their light-hitting lineup.

The Reds have had discussions with other teams about trading pitchers, but Knobler hears they would only make a deal that helps the team this year.

WildcatFan
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Red Reporter on Twitter cited "some dude on a Marlins message board" that had Arroyo to Florida for Jeremy Hermida. Probably not true, but while we've got the thread going...

JayBruceFan
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Jeremy Hermida isn't worth an injured Micah Owings

GIDP
07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Jeremy Hermida isn't worth an injured Micah Owings
Take a loot at his home away splits. Outside of this year hes been actually pretty darn good.

rolenmvp
07-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Look for Arroyo to go to the Dodgers.

Scutaro and Rolen to Reds for Bailey, EE no idea on minor players or money involved.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Look for Arroyo to go to the Dodgers.

Scutaro and Rolen to Reds for Bailey, EE no idea on minor players or money involved.

how nice of you to make a return to fuel the Rolen fire.

:rolleyes:

Shawn_RedsFan
07-27-2009, 05:49 PM
how nice of you to make a return to fuel the Rolen fire.

:rolleyes:

aww you beat me to it

RedLakerFan24
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Harang for Ervin Santana and Brandon Wood, We pay most of Harangs Salary, Santana is having a bad year, maybe we could buy him at a low price

GIDP
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/27/yankees-reds-working-on-arroyo-deal/

Bronson ArroyoThe Yankees are in serious discussions with the Reds about acquiring Bronson Arroyo, although right now the deal may be hinging on how much of Arroyo's remaining contract the Reds are willing to eat, major league sources told FanHouse on Monday.

"It will get done," the source said.

Arroyo, 32, is due nearly $4 million for the rest of this season, plus $11 million in 2010 and a $2 million buyout or a $11 million option in 2012. Arroyo is 10-9 with a 5.21 ERA, but he has a 2.08 ERA in his past three starts.

Reds top officials met via conference call this morning, an indication to one big-league source that they were "close to a deal." Arroyo has since been removed as the Reds probable pitcher for Tuesday.

I hope we dont get some crap like Melky Caberera back if this thing happens.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
^^ so much for him going to the dodgers, this should be interesting to see who we'll get in return

Red in Atl
07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Why should we pay any of these "RICH" fraking clubs money to take Harang or Arroyo or Cordero? Screw them unless they are giving us 2-3 top 5 prospects. I'd rather take my chances with all three guys next year. Either way we pay.

WildcatFan
07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
I hope we dont get some crap like Melky Caberera back if this thing happens.

Um, don't sleep on that one. Walt may very well see his .271 career batting average and jump. Never mind the 88 OPS+

nemesis
07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
^^ so much for him going to the dodgers, this should be interesting to see who we'll get in return

Arroyo, Weathers, Stubbs and $5 millon for Hughes and Jackson. I'd take that.

bgwilly31
07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I like arroyo. He's the only real innings eater we got. Without him i fear our bullpen performance will decline.

Also i dont want to see the reds paying to get him out of here.

What the heck is the point of that. Especially paying a team like the yankees.

Winning franchises dont make these kinda deals.

Only the reds.

Rather then pay to get him out of here. How about keeping him here. Opening your pockets and buying a couple of prospects.

Its never ending game of how can we spend the least money. And we the fans get to sit here and suffer through a loser.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 06:19 PM
paying 4 million to save 11 next year could be worth it.

11 million could be used to pay for a couple of Votto arbitration years, or pay for Brandon Phillips 2011 year alone.

Dont think of it as us paying think of it as us paying Arroyo like an extra million a year the last 3 years or somehting.

aubashbrother
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
11 million in this economy could come in very handy in the offseason

CesarGeronimo
07-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I just wish I had confidence that the Reds would spend whatever money they save in such a deal wisely.

WildcatFan
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I just wish I had confidence that the Reds would spend whatever money they save in such a deal wisely.

Yeah, like giving Weathers and Rhodes each two more years!!!!!!

I kid because I'm afraid

WildcatFan
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Arroyo to Yankees not happening, says Peter Abraham, according to MLBTR. Oh well, don't really care to deal with them anyway.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
It seems his salary is the sticking point. If I recall, didn't the Reds sign him to this ridiculous deal back when he first got traded and after the first half of the year was looking like a Cy Young candidate?

Ridiculously retarded decisions continue to haunt this organization. If the guy wasn't on such a ridiculous contract, this wouldn't be an issue.

lidspinner
07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
It seems his salary is the sticking point. If I recall, didn't the Reds sign him to this ridiculous deal back when he first got traded and after the first half of the year was looking like a Cy Young candidate?

Ridiculously retarded decisions continue to haunt this organization. If the guy wasn't on such a ridiculous contract, this wouldn't be an issue.

Great point......who signed him? was this Krivsky's signing?

LouisvilleCARDS
07-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Well Jocketty wasn't thereto do it, so had to be him I believe.

What ticks me off about the whole situation is Jocketty and Castellini's completely misplaced sentiment on this. I can see where they're coming from, after all the Linder years they want to give the appearance they're not giving up. That just winning 80 games or getting over .500 is a goal if nothing else. And the appearance of making decisions based on salary has a negative connotation.

That's all fine and good. They can say all they want they aren't in the mode of "selling" based on salary to try to prove to everyone they're not giving up like the Linder years. This is kind of like the dumb player to hides his injury because he's a "warrior" or something and doesn't want to let anyone down, even though by him not admitting it and setting himself down, he's in fact hurting the team.

Really, they can say all they want its not about salary, but if they do something stupid and add Rolen or something and take on MORE salary to a team not contending, and don't try to deal one of our big contracts, what in the offseason? They say its not about salary, but then in the offseason we sure as hell won't sign anyone, maybe John Vander Wal, or something. Then in 2010 we're stuck with the same exact team with the only hope that our younger players get better, and somehow the players that are declining like Arroyo and Harang hold up, and that Cordero is as good as this year. And no injuries.

This is just ridiculous. We have a bunch of senile old men running this organization who don't know CRAP.

Griffey012
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
11 million in this economy could come in very handy in the offseason

Last year would have gotten us, Abreu, a reliever not named Lincoln, and the O-Dawg.

travisgrimes
07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
i would deal arroyo and cash to the yankees for jesus montero and a PTBNL

JayBruce
07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
i would deal arroyo and cash to the yankees for jesus montero and a PTBNL

Yep, the Yanks are gonna trade their top prospect for a 5th starter! :thumbup:

Maybe they'll toss in CC Sabathia as the PTBNL?

ScottyJ
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Rolen and/or Scudaro in a Reds uniform soon...

bounty37h
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Yep, the Yanks are gonna trade their top prospect for a 5th starter! :thumbup:

Maybe they'll toss in CC Sabathia as the PTBNL?

I was thinking same thing. Isnt this the guy who claimed to have an "inside source", posts like these I think are why no one took him seriously in any of those either.

vottofan4life
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
EE for Cantu?
Nix, Maloney for Hermida?
Arroyo,Stubbs,Edwin for Micheal young and ptbnl?
Weathers for Jose Molina?
Rhodes,Taveras for juan Pierre?
Harang for Dejesus and ptbnl?
Bailey,EE,Taveras,Valaika,Viola for Rolen and Rios?

Any of these trades sound possible?

camisadelgolf
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
EE for Cantu?
Why would the Reds do that? Jorge Cantu might be one of the few defensive downgrades at 3B, and Votto is already at 1B.

Nix, Maloney for Hermida?
The Marlins would want a bit more than that.

Arroyo,Stubbs,Edwin for Micheal young and ptbnl?
The Rangers don't have a need for Drew Stubbs (they have what may be a better version in Julio Borbon), and Michael Young has a no-trade clause that I doubt he'd waive to come to Cincinnati. Besides, they might expect more return for Young, who has been chosen for each of the past six All-Star games.

Weathers for Jose Molina?
Ew. The Reds already have a younger version of Molina with more upside in Craig Tatum. Trading away Weathers get them more than that.

Rhodes,Taveras for juan Pierre?
Due to Pierre's poor defense, a Taveras-for-an-aging-Pierre deal would only be a slight upgrade or possibly no upgrade at all. In the process, the Reds would add payroll (that they can't afford) and lose an excellent reliever. It just makes no sense.

Harang for Dejesus and ptbnl?
For Harang, the Reds could get a lot more than that. The PTBNL would have to be a highly-touted prospect.

Bailey,EE,Taveras,Valaika,Viola for Rolen and Rios?
This is the least realistic of all the trades you mentioned. The Reds would add several million dollars of payroll, which they couldn't afford.
I'm not trying to criticize you, vottfan4life, but to answer your question, I couldn't see any of your trade proposals going down. To be honest, though, I'm not sure I could come up with better. Despite how the media portrays it, it's really difficult to come up with trades that make complete sense for both teams.

Ghosts of 1990
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Looks like the deal didn't happen (Arroyo to Yankees). What a shocker.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-28-2009, 08:23 PM
LOL. Gotta love some of the ridiculous trade offers proposed by Reds fans here. Like 1% of them are reasonable. You've gotta realize in most players being mentioned have NEGATIVE trade value. For example, Arroyo has a 5.21 ERA, even if he was being paid on that level we wouldn't get all that much. The fact he's being paid a ridiculous amount means we're going to have to pay a huge chunk of it for him to even be TRADEABLE.

Similar situation with Harang, he seems to be losing some of what he had, has a decent ERA but had been fading. Also, another huge contract.

Completely overvaluing what we have. Whoever said Bailey, EE, Taveras and a couple of minor leaguers for two legitimate major leaguers who have done pretty well is the most laughable thing I've seen. Bailey has a career 7 ERA, and has not proven he can even be average yet, Encarnacion is batting like .200, and Taveras may be the worst of them all.

It's just ridiculous. People expect teams to take our scrap heap, some with big contracts, for major players???? Sheesh, wake up guys. Our front office is paying for their stupid mistakes of the past, once again.

ScottyJ
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Rolen and/or Scudaro in a Reds uniform soon...

;)

Captain Hook
08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
;)

You must have had a inside source.None of us saw that one coming.

vottofan4life
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Now since San Diego said they will be expanding their payroll to 70-80 million dollars next year from a dismal 43 million this year could they acquire hometown boy Aaron Harang from us for a couple minor leaguers

ScottyJ
08-05-2009, 04:37 PM
You must have had a inside source.None of us saw that one coming.

Around the time I posted that, everybody thought that deal was dead. I was just givin' myself a little pat on the back, that's all. 'Preciate the sarcasm....

lidspinner
08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Around the time I posted that, everybody thought that deal was dead. I was just givin' myself a little pat on the back, that's all. 'Preciate the sarcasm....

I agree everyone thougth is was dead....I even went back and looked at a few "repected" posters whose responses were like this

"for you fans that think we will get Rolen, dream on"

" Rolen would never come to the Reds"

so I say good call Scotty

ScottyJ
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I agree everyone thougth is was dead....I even went back and looked at a few "repected" posters whose responses were like this

"for you fans that think we will get Rolen, dream on"

" Rolen would never come to the Reds"

so I say good call Scotty

Thank ya, lidspinner!! :thumbup: