PDA

View Full Version : If you were a contender, would you want Harang or Arroyo?

REDREAD
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Just curious.. poll will be added.

Let's say you are a contending team. You have the prospects to add either Arroyo or Harang. Absorbing salary is not an issue for you.

Would you rather have Harang for an A prospect and two B prospects
OR
Arroyo for a B prospect?

I think I'd take Arroyo. He seems to be on an upswing lately, and I'm going to guess that the Reds would be happy to just unload the contract. I'm guessing Harang's price is a lot more.

I have not followed the Reds as closely this year, but Harang just doesn't seem to be the same guy he was 2 years ago.

Anyhow, curious what the board thinks.. I realize "B prospect" and "A prospect" are vague terms.

Reds Fanatic
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I would go with Arroyo. Arroyo is streaky he will have good periods and other periods where he gets pounded but at least he does have some good periods. Harang would worry me a little more. His numbers really have not been good at all the last year or so and in several recent starts he is getting hit pretty hard.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Is neither an option? :) Arroyo if I have to take one. Harang just doesn't seem the same. I don't know if he's hurt or not but I would stay away from him if I were buying.

reds1869
07-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Arroyo. He's the type of pitcher that pitch the worst stretch in baseball history and be World Series MVP in the same one month span. He's prone to implosions, but if he gets hot look out.

Edskin
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Arroyo-- but only as a 4th/5th starter to get me through the season. Anyone who makes a trade for either guy with the intention of starting them in the post-season is dumb.

durl
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd pick Harang.

While it's true that he's not been as effective as in the past, he's shown that he can be a solid pitcher.

And perhaps putting him with a team that can score 2 runs to support him might do wonders for him mentally on the mound.

M2
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I suppose it all depends on the other team's needs. If you need a guy to fill out your rotation, which is already strong enough at the top (e.g. the Yankees) then Arroyo's a good fit (though a bit expensive for the job).

If you need a top three pitcher either to get you into the postseason or to make some noise when you're there (Twins, Brewers, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Marlins), then Harang. Conserving your prospects (many of whom aren't nearly as good as you're pretending they are) while someone else pours champagne is the very definition of a pyrrhic victory.

Banners hang forever and more teams could use a guy like Harang.

TRF
07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Arroyo seems like a strong second half pitcher. Like he's always pitching for a contract or something.

KoryMac5
07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
If I was a GM looking at these two I would have to have one thing in any deal and that would be cash to offset their contracts that kick in next year. I would want the Reds to cover at least 4-5 million of Harang and or Arroyo's contract. This being said I think there are only a few teams in the league that can afford to shop for both of these guys.

So as a whole I would stay very far away from these two unless the Reds gave me some cash to sweeten the deal.

Crosley68
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Bronson.......I think his style complements others in a rotation by being a backward pitcher. Aaron these days often throws them hard and straight....if he doesnt his his spots, he gets pounded. Even if he throws well he doesnt really change the look hitters see from one day to the other in a good rotation.

LincolnparkRed
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Need a neither option.
Too expensive and neither is consistent

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Need a neither option.
Too expensive and neither is consistent

Took the words out of my mouth.

If I'm going for it, I want Jason Vorhees, not Draco Malfoy.

GAC
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
IMO, the only team(s) that will take on either of those contracts are those that can afford the risk, and possess the financial environment to "absorb" them if it doesn't work out. A vast majority of teams will easily stay away from them.

Why would any team, similar to the Reds, want to put themselves in the position we are now in? Trying to dump these guys. ;)

Arroyo is the most "sensible" choice. Harang's contract we're probably stuck with.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Arroyo is the most "sensible" choice. Harang's contract we're probably stuck with.

I think it would be unwise to deal Harang, but I think it's imperative to deal Arroyo.

Volquez being radio silent is not in any way a good harbinger of his health. Take away Harang and Arroyo and you're left with what? Cueto? And the rest of the garbage in the minors?

You're staring down the barrel of a 100 loss season next year.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I think it would be unwise to deal Harang, but I think it's imperative to deal Arroyo.

Volquez being radio silent is not in any way a good harbinger of his health. Take away Harang and Arroyo and you're left with what? Cueto? And the rest of the garbage in the minors?

If by "radio silent" you mean throwing 76 pitches in the bullpen last night, then yeah, he's brain-dead and that's a bad "harbinger of his health."

Is he supposed to hold a press conference announcing his road to recovery?

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:21 PM
If by "radio silent" you mean throwing 76 pitches in the bullpen last night, then yeah, he's brain-dead and that's a bad "harbinger of his health."

Whose bullpen? Long toss?

GAC
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM

If you're able to clear out around 23.5M in 2010 salary you then go out and find you a pitcher.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM

RHP Edinson Volquez, who is starting the eighth week of his second term on the disabled list, threw 76 pitches without complaint before Monday's game. Volquez, who mixed breaking balls into his session, is scheduled to throw a light bullpen session Wednesday and an 80-pitch simulated game Friday.

From Yahoo.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Is he supposed to hold a press conference announcing his road to recovery?

Young guys who spend months on the DL and have a violent pitching motion are always solid rotation foundations.

Whatever the Reds get from Volquez is gravy, but I wouldn't count on him.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:26 PM
If you're able to clear out around 23.5M in 2010 salary you then go out and find you a pitcher.

Trouble is, the Reds would need three in your scenario.

GAC
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Trouble is, the Reds would need three in your scenario.

How many do they need currently? We got guys taking up roster spots in the rotation yeah; but they ain't making it.

You yourself state our pitching is pretty putrid. If you can...get rid of the putridness. ;)

You stated in an earlier discussion that Owings was basically Arroyo's replacement. So you go into the market and find a sound replacement (spend the money) for Harang, and look for another.

In 09 we've got four SP's in Cueto, Volquez, Owing, and Bailey, that we are paying $400,000/year each. That's 1.6M total. And none of them is anywhere near having the years of ML service in, so they are basically under our control.

You try to build on that.

But the bottom line is that Arroyo and Harang are not only not getting any younger; but they just ain't getting the job done. Not for the money we are paying them, and the raises they get next year.

HokieRed
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Young guys who spend months on the DL and have a violent pitching motion are always solid rotation foundations.

The gravy would taste better if I didn't remember how much we paid for it.

Homer Bailey
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
The gravy would taste better if I didn't remember how much we paid for it.

$50,000 actually :p:.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
How many do they need currently? We got guys taking up roster spots in the rotation yeah; but they ain't making it.

You yourself state our pitching is pretty putrid. If you can...get rid of the putridness. ;)

You stated in an earlier discussion that Owings was basically Arroyo's replacement. So you go into the market and find a sound replacement (spend the money) for Harang, and look for another.

In 09 we've got four SP's in Cueto, Volquez, Owing, and Bailey, that we are paying $400,000/year each. That's 1.6M total. And none of them is anywhere near having the years of ML service in, so they are basically under our control.

You try to build on that.

But the bottom line is that Arroyo and Harang are not only not getting any younger; but they just ain't getting the job done. Not for the money we are paying them, and the raises they get next year.

You don't have to convince me that Arroyo and Harang are expensive and on the wrong side of their career arc. Nevertheless, it's hard to find starters, not even considering the money involved. And Harang has stretches where he's a reasonably effective 3/4 type pitcher. That has worth. As does his durability.

And Owings and Bailey are last-ditch options. They shouldn't really sway anything one way or another.

HokieRed
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
$50,000 actually :p:.

I wish that were true.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
RHP Edinson Volquez, who is starting the eighth week of his second term on the disabled list, threw 76 pitches without complaint before Monday's game. Volquez, who mixed breaking balls into his session, is scheduled to throw a light bullpen session Wednesday and an 80-pitch simulated game Friday.

From Yahoo.

Gotta love the "radio silence" on this.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 06:25 PM

I guess you wouldn't have counted on Josh Beckett, either.

TheNext44
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Going on peripherals, Harang is a much better pitcher. But going on actual production, it's pretty darn close.

Career:

Harang: 74-77 4.25 ERA 1.32 WHIP 7.5 K/9 1.2 HR/9
Arroyo: 81-79 4.39 ERA 1.35 WHIP 6.2 K/9 1.1 HR/9

Last 3 Years:

Harang: 27-34 4.21 ERA 1.30 WHIP 8.0 K/9 1.4 HR/9
Arroyo: 34-35 4.66 ERA 1.43 WHIP 6.6 K/9 1.3 HR/9

Harang is a little bit better, but is he worth a solid A prospect more than Arroyo? I don't think so.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I guess you wouldn't have counted on Josh Beckett, either.

Beckett doesn't have a violent delivery.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Gotta love the "radio silence" on this.

Great. Tells me next to nothing. No timeline, nothing. Hey, I'm glad the kid's alive. But that's about all that tells me.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Great. Tells me next to nothing. No timeline, nothing. Hey, I'm glad the kid's alive. But that's about all that tells me.

And this is different than any other eight week stint on the DL how?

Did the Cardinals share Chris Carpenter's timeline with you the last two years?

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
And this is different than any other eight week stint on the DL how?

Did the Cardinals share Chris Carpenter's timeline with you the last two years?

Uttering Carpenter and Volquez in the same breath is just stupid.

redsfandan
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Ok, I know we're talking small sample size but based on the responses here:
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=119208

yankee fans may not be too happy with an Arroyo acquisition unless he was basically given away and we ate half of what's remaining on the contract.

REDREAD
07-28-2009, 07:01 PM
If you need a top three pitcher either to get you into the postseason or to make some noise when you're there (Twins, Brewers, Astros, Angels, Rangers, Phillies, Marlins), then Harang. Conserving your prospects (many of whom aren't nearly as good as you're pretending they are) while someone else pours champagne is the very definition of a pyrrhic victory.

Banners hang forever and more teams could use a guy like Harang.

Sound reasoning. However, I am not sure of the premise though.
I'm not convinced Harang is going to outpitch Arroyo significantly (if at all) through the end of the year. Arroyo seems to have found himself again. Harang has slipped to being just slightly above average (although maybe a trade or a tweak would rejuvienate him).. Sure, the smart money says Harang will outpitch him, but I'm not sure if it would be by a significant margin.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Uttering Carpenter and Volquez in the same breath is just stupid.

Only in your warped mind.

Volquez at age 25: 17-6, 3.21 ERA, 9.5 K/9. All-Star Game.
Carpenter at age 25: 10-12, 6.26 ERA, 5.8 K/9. DFA candidate.

Just sayin'

Stormy
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
In your warped mind.

Volquez at age 25: 17-6, 3.21 ERA, 9.5 K/9. All-Star Game.
Carpenter at age 25: 10-12, 6.26 ERA, 5.8 K/9. DFA candidate.

Just sayin'

Yea, it took Carpenter until age 30 to put together his first season approaching what Volquez accomplished last year.

Benihana
07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Not good news for Arroyo-to-the-Yanks:

6:06pm: Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal are now reporting that Washburn is "officially available" and have informed the Yankees, who plan to make an offer soon. The Brewers also could be interested in Washburn.

Arroyo better be lights out tonight, or it may be lights out on his trade value. :rolleyes:

GAC
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
You don't have to convince me that Arroyo and Harang are expensive and on the wrong side of their career arc.

Which is very sound reason to try and unload them. A GM finds answers. But when reality is staring him in the face, when looking at these two pitchers, you unload them if you can, and then look for those solutions.

And Harang has stretches where he's a reasonably effective 3/4 type pitcher.That has worth

Worth in what sense? Yes, I concede that this offense has not been Harang's best friend; but Harang has also been his own worst enemy too. Since last season, and into this year, Aaron has had some simply terrible stretches. And is currently in another.

I'll be the first to say, concerning Arroyo, that when he is on he's on, and when he's off it's an implosion. But Arroyo has been a far more effective pitcher this year then Harang. Both are very inconsistent; but at least with Arroyo, you're getting some quality pitching in the mix. Two of his last three starts were gems (vs the Mets and Brewers), and has an ERA of 3.42 for July. With Harang, I have no faith right now.

As does his durability.

Both have durability. Harang - 215 IP/season over the last 4 years, and Arroyo 214.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Which is very sound reason to try and unload them. A GM finds answers. But when reality is staring him in the face, when looking at these two pitchers, you unload them if you can, and then look for those solutions.

Worth in what sense? Yes, I concede that this offense has not been Harang's best friend; but Harang has also been his own worst enemy too. Since last season, and into this year, Aaron has had some simply terrible stretches. And is currently in another.

I'll be the first to say, concerning Arroyo, that when he is on he's on, and when he's off it's an implosion. But Arroyo has been a far more effective pitcher this year then Harang. Both are very inconsistent; but at least with Arroyo, you're getting some quality pitching in the mix. Two of his last three starts were gems (vs the Mets and Brewers), and has an ERA of 3.42 for July. With Harang, I have no faith right now.

Both have durability. Harang - 215 IP/season over the last 4 years, and Arroyo 214.

I don't have a problem trading Harang, but a better pitcher should be coming back in the deal. And I don't see that happening in this trade market.

Highlifeman21
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Took the words out of my mouth.

If I'm going for it, I want Jason Vorhees, not Draco Malfoy.

Friday the 13th vs Harry Potter?

You never cease to amaze me FCB (in a good way, of course)

Explain how the hockey mask wearing slasher is going for it, please. That one went over my head.

KoryMac5
07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Friday the 13th vs Harry Potter?

You never cease to amaze me FCB (in a good way, of course)

Explain how the hockey mask wearing slasher is going for it, please. That one went over my head.

You want somebody with that killer instinct, like Clemens. Somebody who will step on a teams neck and rip their hearts out when they are on the ropes. While this team has some talent (Cueto and Volquez) they don't have that cold blooded sociopath yet. Halladay is straight up a cold blooded killer, all these teams protecting the farm are missing that point.

Highlifeman21
07-29-2009, 09:48 AM
You want somebody with that killer instinct, like Clemens. Somebody who will step on a teams neck and rip their hearts out when they are on the ropes. While this team has some talent (Cueto and Volquez) they don't have that cold blooded sociopath yet. Halladay is straight up a cold blooded killer, all these teams protecting the farm are missing that point.

Ah, much thanks.

Makes sense now.

TOR = killer instinct

bucksfan2
07-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Don't look now but Arroyo is starting to put together a good stretch of starts.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Whatever gets him out the door...

Highlifeman21
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Sweet, go do it for another team.

Hopefully it helps the return we get on him.

M2
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Sweet, go do it for another team.

Hopefully it helps the return we get on him.

I suspect Arroyo (and Harang) would flourish if they got away from the Reds - new coaches, new team, new atmosphere, new challenge, new lease on life.

Obviously there's no way of knowing unless it happens, but my guess is Arroyo (and Harang) has got plenty of good miles left in his arm.

On a completely different note (this is Bristol related), have you ridden the Boulder Dash yet?

Benihana
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM

I echo the others' sentiment. Could this good stretch of starts net Brandon Wood from the Angels, especially if the Reds picked up some of this year's salary? That would be my dream.

Highlifeman21
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
I suspect Arroyo (and Harang) would flourish if they got away from the Reds - new coaches, new team, new atmosphere, new challenge, new lease on life.

Obviously there's no way of knowing unless it happens, but my guess is Arroyo (and Harang) has got plenty of good miles left in his arm.

On a completely different note (this is Bristol related), have you ridden the Boulder Dash yet?

I've only been to Lake Compounce twice since moving here.

Ridden it 6 times, though.

With CT pushing this whole daycation/staycation tourism agenda due to the economy, Lake Compounce has been packed, and I just don't like crowds.

Neat design though, built into the side of the "mountain".

... and it wouldn't surprise me if Arroyo went on to resemble his 2006 self or better once leaving the Reds.

I fear the losing culture turns ballplayers into pumpkins.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
... and it wouldn't surprise me if Arroyo went on to resemble his 2006 self or better once leaving the Reds.

I fear the losing culture turns ballplayers into pumpkins.

Except didn't Arroyo get much better after coming to the Reds from the Red Sox? Ditto for Harang coming over from the playoff-bound A's.

Could be a league/lesser competition thing, but just sayin'...

Homer Bailey
07-29-2009, 11:11 AM

RHP Edinson Volquez is scheduled for a light throwing session Wednesday, then he'll pitch a simulated game Friday before the team decides the team decides if he'll go out on a rehab assignment.

From Yahoo!

Sorry that the Reds are unable to successfully predict exactly when he will be pitching again. Man, if only they could predict that like every other organization can :rolleyes:.

Rojo
07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Harang, yes. Arroyo, not so sure. His K/9 has fallen quite bit.

My firewall has Harang, Cordero and Rhodes on one side and Arroyo and Weathers on the other. Trade the last two and you can still shoot for next year. Trade any one of the first three you might as well shop them all, and throw Phillips in to boot.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Harang, yes. Arroyo, not so sure. His K/9 has fallen quite bit.

My firewall has Harang, Cordero and Rhodes on one side and Arroyo and Weathers on the other. Trade the last two and you can still shoot for next year. Trade any one of the first three you might as well shop them all, and throw Phillips in to boot.

I can't imagine you really believe trading Arthur Rhodes would be throwing in the towel for next year.

With Bill Bray and Pedro Viola joining Danny Ray, I'd think Rhodes could be semi-replaceable. Plus between Rhodes, Affeldt, Reyes, etc. there's almost always a good lefty bullpen arm out there for the plucking.

Rojo
07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I can't imagine you really believe trading Arthur Rhodes would be throwing in the towel for next year.

Maybe not, but why do it? Are you going to get a crucial cog back for next year? Weathers has become superflous but Rhodes isn't yet.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe not, but why do it? Are you going to get a crucial cog back for next year? Weathers has become superflous but Rhodes isn't yet.

I don't know about "crucial," but I do it if I get a very good return, which seems to be what the market should bear these days. If Rhodes' deal expired this year and he were a Type A, I may hang onto him for the draft picks. But I'd sell high every time on a 40 year old set up man, especially when my team is out of contention.

Rojo
07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know about "crucial," but I do it if I get a very good return, which seems to be what the market should bear these days. If Rhodes' deal expired this year and he were a Type A, I may hang onto him for the draft picks. But I'd sell high every time on a 40 year old set up man, especially when my team is out of contention.

I'm aiming at next year and maybe that wasn't clear. If you trade Rhodes for a prospect then it's an open audition to fill his role. I like DRH but he doesn't need to be overexposed. Bray's gimpy and Viola's unproven.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm aiming at next year and maybe that wasn't clear. If you trade Rhodes for a prospect then it's an open audition to fill his role. I like DRH but he doesn't need to be overexposed. Bray's gimpy and Viola's unproven.

My point was that there are always reasonably-priced FA out there that can fill the role if you're not confident in your internal options.

Dennys Reyes, Jeremy Affeldt, and Arthur Rhodes himself are all examples of this in the last couple years.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
An interesting question to consider- would Harang and/or Arroyo clear waivers? If so, we have a whole additional month for them to "right themselves" and rebuild their value.

I'd imagine Arroyo would clear waivers. Harang- I'm not so sure.

Rojo
07-29-2009, 06:38 PM
My point was that there are always reasonably-priced FA out there that can fill the role if you're not confident in your internal options.

Dennys Reyes, Jeremy Affeldt, and Arthur Rhodes himself are all examples of this in the last couple years.

Yes Arthur Rhodes is a great example. He's signed next year for $2million. Done and done. Why create holes?

Benihana
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes Arthur Rhodes is a great example. He's signed next year for $2million. Done and done. Why create holes?

Because he'll be another year older. At 40, that's significant. Furthermore, if you can trade Rhodes during one of the best stretches of his career for a very good return, and then sign a Rhodes-type in the offseason, didn't you get something significant for free?

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone noticed how strangely identical Rhodes' numbers are this season to his 2005?

2005: 47 games, 2.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
2009: 43 games, 2.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

Falls City Beer
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Because he'll be another year older. At 40, that's significant. Furthermore, if you can trade Rhodes during one of the best stretches of his career for a very good return, and then sign a Rhodes-type in the offseason, didn't you get something significant for free?

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone noticed how strangely identical Rhodes' numbers are this season to his 2005?

2005: 47 games, 2.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
2009: 43 games, 2.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

Krivsky went through about $15 million searching for Arthur Rhodes. He stays put, IMO.

Rojo
07-29-2009, 07:56 PM

Do I want to add an AA pitcher and rummage about for a new Arthur Rhodes? No, I don't.

Also, see FCB above.

LoganBuck
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there. Marty said on the broadcast tonight before the first pitch that Tim Naehring was there last night and tonight to scout Arroyo and Harang among others, for the Yankees. I wonder what kind of report he wrote?

M2
07-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there. Marty said on the broadcast tonight before the first pitch that Tim Naehring was there last night and tonight to scout Arroyo and Harang among others, for the Yankees. I wonder what kind of report he wrote?

Whatever it says, do the opposite.

REDREAD
07-29-2009, 11:42 PM

He probably wrote about how they complained about the clubhouse food. (Anyone else remember that incident when Naehring demoted a minor league player for complaining about eggs or something like that).