PDA

View Full Version : Votto needs to keep his cool

kfm
07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Let me say first, that I am a huge fan of Joey Votto and have followed him since he was in the low minors. I also believe Votto will be the captain of this team eventually. Having said that, he needs to learn to walk away. He got to say his piece last night on what was obviously a bad call and should have walked away but he just couldn't help himself, but he truly could have cost his team the game last night. Votto is the best player on a team coming home after losing six straight with a struggling young pitcher on the mound for the Reds, and he gets tossed in the first inning of a game. I love his fire and his intensity, but they don't do much for you when your best player is watching because he cannot control his temper enough to go have a seat.

redsfanmia
07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
He should have gone beserk in Chicago, he has been getting pinched for two weeks. This team need emotion and I for one am glad Joey finally showed some.

FlyerFanatic
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
He should have gone beserk in Chicago, he has been getting pinched for two weeks. This team need emotion and I for one am glad Joey finally showed some.

agreed. if dusty isnt going to get tossed to fire up the team someone needs to do it

Shawn_RedsFan
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Yea I agree and I think most of us would have reacted close to the same way Votto did last night considering he practically carries this offense on his shoulders.

Now if he would have pulled a Zambrano and went crazy I would agree he needs to keep his cool but that was not the case, he didn't kill any Gatorade machines ;)

kfm
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Didn't he get thrown out of a game about two weeks ago for pretty much the same thing?

Captain Hook
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll take a bunch of guys like Votto any day.Its nice to see a guy that cares that much.I was a big Paul O'Niel fan and it is my opinion that guys like him are winners and just hate to loose.They are down right nasty when they aren't winning.I get your point though and think Joey will learn what he can and can't say so he doesn't get thrown out.I'd guess that dropping 50 F bombs has been crossed off his list now.

kfm
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I'll take a bunch of guys like Votto any day.Its nice to see a guy that cares that much.I was a big Paul O'Niel fan and it is my opinion that guys like him are winners and just hate to loose.They are down right nasty when they don't.I get your point though and think Joey will learn what he can and can't say so he doesn't get thrown out.I'd guess that dropping 50 F bombs has been crossed off his list now.

Nice. I like that post Cap, your right that should be off the list.

FlyerFanatic
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
its time to start backing players off the plate too, as for as i'm concerned. reds players let the batters do whatever they want in the box. our squad needs to grow a pair and start backing em off

mroby85
07-28-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm with this guy. Refreshing after watching Griffey and Dunn lope around for years.

kfm
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I have no problem with the fire, but getting tossed for the second time in about two weeks because you don't have the ability to control your temper is just plain selfish. He hurt his team and I know we all are big fans of Joey, but that doesn't change the fact that he is putting his desire to yell f bombs at an umpire aboove his team's need to have their best player in the lineup. I am sure that most of you played sports and every coach I ever had let us know that getting tossed from a game or getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty even if you were angry over something that is justified is hurting your team. I am not saying Joey is a selfish guy at all, but this was selfish. He needs to say what umps allow you to say go back to the dugout curse in scream in the locker room or whatever he needs to do and then come back out and actually help his team.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
He needs to calm down. He needs to find a way to deal with umps baiting him.

Dusty also is slow as you can be coming out of the dugout when it comes to things like this.

40YrRedsFan
07-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I think Joey is very frustrated with the baseball clowns assembled around him.
A few games ago, you could see his frustration when he singled with Taveras
at 2nd, and Taveras did not score. Joey just raised his hands a little as to say
"why are you only at third base?". He was not a happy camper.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
he is a professional athlete, he needs to keep his cool. i for one lost some respect for votto when he got kicked out against the mets a couple weeks ago. some say it's emotion, i say it's a ridiculous show of immaturity. if he wants to yell at somebody and show them the "fire" then he needs to yell and demand more out of his team, not the umpires.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 11:49 PM
he is a professional athlete, he needs to keep his cool. i for one lost some respect for votto when he got kicked out against the mets a couple weeks ago. some say it's emotion, i say it's a ridiculous show of immaturity. if he wants to yell at somebody and show them the "fire" then he needs to yell and demand more out of his team, not the umpires.

Maybe he has.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Maybe he has.

he probably has, i just can't stand seeing votto screaming at an umpire on a decent call 2 series' ago against the mets. made him look quite foolish. then the reds, for once, make a come back and guess who's not there? their best player. yelling and arguing a call only costed them a possible victory.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 11:57 PM
they won last night with out him.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-28-2009, 11:58 PM
they won last night with out him.

very true. however, they were against the padres. he can't be thrown out of a game against a decent team is all i'm saying.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 12:02 AM
they scored 7 runs in the game he got thrown out in also.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-29-2009, 12:04 AM
yes they did. imagine what they could have scored if he was in.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-29-2009, 12:07 AM
look, we could dance around this all day. the fact remains though that our biggest player/threat on offense makes a difference. However, to contribute he has to keep his cool and not get kicked out, that we can agree on. i gotta go, i just got off of work. haha. nice talking to you GIDP

kfm
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
they scored 7 runs in the game he got thrown out in also.

Yes, and they scored seven runs with Tavares batting leadoff, but that doesn't make it right. Sometimes the right move does not work out and sometimes the wrong move doesn't hurt you but that does not justify your actions.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 12:27 AM
look, we could dance around this all day. the fact remains though that our biggest player/threat on offense makes a difference. However, to contribute he has to keep his cool and not get kicked out, that we can agree on. i gotta go, i just got off of work. haha. nice talking to you GIDP
I'm just messing with you a bit haha. Have fun

roby
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
As long as Joey Votto hits like he has been...He can chew up and spit out all the lousy umpires he wants to as far as I'm concerned. Somebody needs to stand up and say something. The Reds have been ripped off on calls all year and it is just getting worse. I'm with Joey on this one.

bounty37h
07-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree to the needs to control in situations, but there are times when control is simply lost-when your the only one producing, watching everything collapse around you, getting pinched on calls, and a manager who should have been in there arguing for him. There are also times when a player finally boils over that it can have a very productive impact on the rest of the team, they see the fire and hopefully catch some too and try to step up to take off some of the pressure that caused the blowup. Coaches get tossed on purpose often for that, sure players can too.

Red in Atl
07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I think he single handedly kick started this lame, non-emotional team Monday night and got them off their dead ***es. Too bad it didn't carry over till Tuesday.

kfm
07-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I think he single handedly kick started this lame, non-emotional team Monday night and got them off their dead ***es. Too bad it didn't carry over till Tuesday.

So they hit several homeruns off of a guy who gives up a ton of homeruns because Joey Votto used the f word. Wow, if only every sport were that easy.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm just messing with you a bit haha. Have fun

haha. oh yeah, i know man. i didn't mean any sarcasm if that's how i came off. no worries my friend :beerme:

Stormy Weathers
07-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Let me say first, that I am a huge fan of Joey Votto and have followed him since he was in the low minors. I also believe Votto will be the captain of this team eventually. Having said that, he needs to learn to walk away. He got to say his piece last night on what was obviously a bad call and should have walked away but he just couldn't help himself, but he truly could have cost his team the game last night. Votto is the best player on a team coming home after losing six straight with a struggling young pitcher on the mound for the Reds, and he gets tossed in the first inning of a game. I love his fire and his intensity, but they don't do much for you when your best player is watching because he cannot control his temper enough to go have a seat.

Actually votto needs to show more emotion. this team lacks emotion, fire, energy and the last thing ANYONE who is alive should say is to kill it.