PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one.....

Nati Nole
07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
who was taught that with 2 strikes you have to protect the plate and swing at anything close? I swear to God I've never seen a team take more 3rd strikes than this sad excuse for a ball club. Then they have the nerve to stand their and argue with the umpire? Seriously? It's not just tonight, it's been going on for the better part of this season.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Since when is a ball a strike just because its 2 strikes? I dont think its in the rules that way "When a player has 2 strikes the strike zone increases 3 inches"

Fouling off a close strike is one thing, but if the ump cant call the strike zone consistent then what is the point of having the strike zone?

sammonator
07-28-2009, 09:53 PM
who was taught that with 2 strikes you have to protect the plate and swing at anything close? I swear to God I've never seen a team take more 3rd strikes than this sad excuse for a ball club. Then they have the nerve to stand their and argue with the umpire? Seriously? It's not just tonight, it's been going on for the better part of this season.

No you are not, I was taught the same thing. I thought the pitch to BP was a strike. Actually I thought the pitch before was too close to take.

Captain Hook
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
On the other hand you have Gonzalas swinging at strike 3 on a pitch that was a foot outside.I guess we're not a very good hitting team no matter how you look at.

sammonator
07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
On the other hand you have Gonzalas swinging at strike 3 on a pitch that was a foot outside.I guess we're not a very good hitting team no matter how you look at.

Yeah and tell me how Jacoby still has a job? Granted he doesnt have much to work with, but man this team is terrible at the plate.

Nati Nole
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
So every time I've noticed this the Reds have either had the same umpire behind the plate or every umpire in the league has a bad strike zone?

GIDP
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
So every time I've noticed this the Reds have either had the same umpire behind the plate or every umpire in the league has a bad strike zone?

Strike zone is pretty defined. If its out side of it what should the call be?

BigPoppa
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Very well said. My sentiments exactly. It's enough to make a guy :angry::bang::rant2::censored:

BigPoppa
07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Strike zone is pretty defined. If its out side of it what should the call be?

Strike zone varies with each and every umpire. Should it ? Perhaps not. But it does, and these guys have got to start getting the lumber off their shoulder when it's going to be close.

At least strike out swinging to make Bob, and Walt, and me, and Nati Nole, and many others feel better about the $ 2 - $ 12 million you make each year.

Nati Nole
07-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Well evidently those pitches aren't outside the strike zone. I bet if they keep taking those pitches, the umpires will keep ringing them up.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
The ball phillips struck out on was pretty much the exact same as the one called a ball right before it. What should phillips have done? I wish guys never swung at balls no matter the count. They would have a lot more walks.

BigPoppa
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Well evidently those pitches aren't outside the strike zone. I bet if they keep taking those pitches, the umpires will keep ringing them up.

I mentioned this a few games ago. Our guys were watching pitches hit the same spot over and over and over expecting Brian Runge to suddenly stop punching their ticket.

bounty37h
07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I say we cancel all contracts over the off season, have tryouts before spring training-get 20 pitches, have to hit a certain amount of them to earn right to enter spring training on roster. Have a sign on the door on way in that reads "if you cant hit the ball, hit the road"....

markymark69
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Since when is a ball a strike just because its 2 strikes? I dont think its in the rules that way "When a player has 2 strikes the strike zone increases 3 inches"

Fouling off a close strike is one thing, but if the ump cant call the strike zone consistent then what is the point of having the strike zone?

I can agree with both points on certain levels. I think the Reds take entirely too many good pitches (for years) and end up striking out on border line pitches or swinging at the pitcher's pitch (i.e. breaking ball). This team is way too passive at the plate. We do not have a single guy that can hit a quality breaking ball, hangers, yes, but a good one, no.

GIDP, I agree with you as well. If a pitch is 3-6-8 inches outside it is not a strike. However, if I'm hitting, I ain't leaving it up to the umpire. BTW, if umpires didn't call pitches 3-6-8 inches outside, Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux would not be going to the HOF.

Ohioballplayer
07-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I can agree with both points on certain levels. I think the Reds take entirely too many good pitches (for years) and end up striking out on border line pitches or swinging at the pitcher's pitch (i.e. breaking ball). This team is way too passive at the plate. We do not have a single guy that can hit a quality breaking ball, hangers, yes, but a good one, no.

GIDP, I agree with you as well. If a pitch is 3-6-8 inches outside it is not a strike. However, if I'm hitting, I ain't leaving it up to the umpire. BTW, if umpires didn't call pitches 3-6-8 inches outside, Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux would not be going to the HOF.

Now I agree with you Mark, and alot of others, if you feel a call can be marginal, you better foul off the pitch. The Reds are notorious for looking at the 3rd strike, the proof is in the pudding, rewind your DVR's to one particular instance, Joey Votto - Cubs game, rung up on strike 3, yes strike 3, I said strike 3, and he argued, and argued, yeas I said he argued.

Sad thing is, it was a strike, and that back door changeup, or fastball gets him alot. However, I am not a bigleaguer, no a minor league, I am not getting paid , so who am I?

Nati Nole
07-29-2009, 01:09 PM
"GIDP, I agree with you as well. If a pitch is 3-6-8 inches outside it is not a strike. However, if I'm hitting, I ain't leaving it up to the umpire."

That's my mind set exactly. I don't want to see everyone up there like A Gon, who would stand a better chance by replacing his bat with an ironing board, but they have to be more agressive with 2 strikes. Phillips of all people frustrates me the most. Early in the count he's infamous for swinging at bad balls, but with 2 strikes he turns into Bonds. I rather see the opposite aproach, be selective early in the count then battle with 2 strikes, which I'm sure would lead to more walks and in turn a higher OBP.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Every once in a while guys are gonna get called out on strike 3. It happens. If a guy watches a ball and it gets called a strike its not on the player in my mind.

Nati Nole
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Every once in a while guys are gonna get called out on strike 3. It happens. If a guy watches a ball and it gets called a strike its not on the player in my mind.

If it was only every once in a while I wouldn't have a problem with it. Like with Votto, it doesn't happen very often and it doesn't bother me. I wish he would keep his cool and try and learn something from the AB, though.

Blood Red Path
07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
with 2 strikes you have to protect the plate and swing at anything close? I swear to God I've never seen a team take more 3rd strikes than this sad excuse for a ball club.

Probably a trait that they learned watching Adam Dunn- the human posterboy for never swinging at a 3-2 pitch.

BigPoppa
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM

True, but there's every once in a while and there's the 2009 Reds.