PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Since Coming off the DL

reds44
07-29-2009, 12:58 AM
.286/.383/.557/.940

Granted, it's only 70 ABs at this point, but this is the guy I think most Reds fans expected to see all year.

His .957 fielding percentage this season is the best of his career as well.

WMR
07-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd much rather gamble on EE than Rolen.

Edwin frustrates the hell out of me, but I still think he can put it together.

reds44
07-29-2009, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't mind having them both. Fills the LF problem, at least.

TheNext44
07-29-2009, 01:01 AM
I've never doubted his offense. I still don't trust his defense, not for a whole season. Much rather see Rolen there next year.

reds44
07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I've never doubted his offense. I still don't trust his defense, not for a whole season. Much rather see Rolen there next year.
Would you deal Harang for him?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...en-225938.html

CINCINNATI As Friday's non-waivers trade deadline creeps closer, the rumors circulate. One involving the Cincinnati Reds acquiring third baseman Scott Rolen from Toronto remains alive and kicking.

Also there are rumors of the departure of pitcher Aaron Harang, maybe as part of the deal that would bring Rolen to Cincinnati.

"You hear 'em, but I don't pay attention to the rumors," said Harang. "You can't let it bother you or it will affect your play. As a veteran, your name is going to come up. You never really know until they come up to you and say, 'You'[ve been traded.' I don't waorry about it because it is out of my control."

Harang agrees that most trades are made without rumors and the rumored trades seldom get done.

"That's what happened when I was traded to the Reds," he said. "I had heard the Mets and the Marlins and some others, but not the Reds. At the last minute I heard, 'You're going to the Reds' and I said, 'Where did that come from?'"

Harang hopes the Reds don't rip up the roster because, "We're not out of it. We can make up two or three games in three days. We lost six in a row on the road and lost only two games. And we have enough games against teams in our division that we can shift things around in one weekend."

Of possible trades, manager Dusty Baker said, "We've been inquiring and search, but everybody wants our top, top guys. I'd hate to be in the AL East because both Boston and New York load up on you late."

osuceltic
07-29-2009, 01:04 AM

We get a thread like this after every hot series. The Reds seem to be just as gullible as some of their fans.

If they count on Encarnacion for anything more than frustration next season, they deserve what they get.

corkedbat
07-29-2009, 01:06 AM
now's the time to move him then. Don't know that Rolen's the best option though. If Edwin's shown anything it's probably that a string of 70-some not so good AB's are only a matter of time.

I wouldn't give him away by any means, but I'd definitely move him for the right return.

HokieRed
07-29-2009, 01:10 AM
now's the timme to move him then. Don't know that Rolen's the best option though. If Edwin's shown anything it's probably that a string of 70-some not so good at bat's are only a matter of time.

I wouldn't give him away by any means, but I'd definitely move him for the right return.

My fear is that the only plausible return for EE is like that for many of our trade possibilities: salary relief. He's not cheap. He can't play 3b and he's not going to hit enough to be a regular LFer on a team that's good enough to aspire to contention. Perhaps they'll surprise us, but I just don't see why the Blue Jays would want him.

Caveat Emperor
07-29-2009, 01:22 AM
My fear is that the only plausible return for EE is like that for many of our trade possibilities: salary relief. He's not cheap. He can't play 3b and he's not going to hit enough to be a regular LFer on a team that's good enough to aspire to contention. Perhaps they'll surprise us, but I just don't see why the Blue Jays would want him.

Edwin is another in the long line of glorified bench players with starting roles in Cincinnati.

His defense is too poor to be an everyday 3b.
His bat is too weak to be an everyday LF.

Really, the proper deployment for a player like Edwin Encarnacion is a RH bat off the bench and occasional spot-starter at LF/3B. At his salary, that's a luxury item that the Reds simply cannot afford.

Benihana
07-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Edwin is another in the long line of glorified bench players with starting roles in Cincinnati.

His defense is too poor to be an everyday 3b.
His bat is too weak to be an everyday LF.

Really, the proper deployment for a player like Edwin Encarnacion is a RH bat off the bench and occasional spot-starter at LF/3B. At his salary, that's a luxury item that the Reds simply cannot afford.

I'm starting to worry that you may be right. Felipe Lopez, Austin Kearns, and Sean Casey (later in his career) were all guys whose departures were hard to swallow. They had so much promise for so long, and then poof! As soon as the Reds traded them to another team, they became fodder.

I have always been a fan of EE, and anxiously awaited his breakout season. I once assured a coworker that EE would be outperforming Aramis Ramirez in just a couple of years. While that day looks as if it will never come, I just hope EE doesn't become the infield/Dominican version of Kearns (if he hasn't already.) With every week that goes by, he is looking more and more like A Dream Deferred.

TheNext44
07-29-2009, 02:37 AM

Obviously not. But if that rumor is true, there probably is more coming back to Cincinnati than just Rolen, unless it's straight up. If it's Harang for Rolen, then sure.

I think Rolen will provide more production for the Reds next year than Harang. Harang has one more year on contract than Rolen, but I have a feeling the Reds will be using the $2M buyout in 2011. So that would save the team $3.5M, which could be used elsewhere.

Ron Madden
07-29-2009, 04:05 AM
The mistake so often made is to judge hitters in bits and pieces.

We must look at the year end totals here to get any real evidence.

Look at his career totals. Edwin has been productive, especially for a young hitter that usually bats in the bottom third of the lineup.

Edwins defense has been bad but I believe it's getting better.

I've been told that Jaun Castro, Rich Arillia, Jeff Keppenger, Jerry Hairston JR and Adam PeteRoseales could all play better defense and provide more consistant offense. I've yet to see any proof.

I'm not against trading Edwin (or anyone else) But I honestley believe trading EE for Rolen would be a mistake.

(JMHO)

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2009, 09:21 AM

I'd hope Alex Rios is included and it won't happen because Doc won't be moved unless Phils include Drybek and Happ

Kc61
07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Why would Toronto take on Harang's contract if they are "selling" to shed payroll?