PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire Wladimir Balentien

wojo1025
07-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Reds Acquire Wladimir Balentien
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 29, 2009 at 1:56pm CST]

Ed Price of AOL FanHouse reports that the Reds acquired Wladimir Balentien from the Mariners for righty Robert Manuel.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Woohoo. Dusty has another speedy OF who can't get on base to save his life. Career OBP in majors is a robust and healthy .260. Well he is young so there is always hope.

Walt was right all along. We are buyers.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I like this deal like a few people on ORG mentioned seems like a WK move

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/wladimir-balentien.shtml

texasdave
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
A two-year old scouting report on WB:

No. 9 – Wladimir Balentien, OF
Posted by Jason A. Churchill on March 6, 2007

Wladimir Balentien. That’s Vlad-uh-meer Bal-in-teen. He’s an extremely intriguing hitter and loads of fun to watch once he makes his way into the batter’s box. He’s not a bad athlete, either, as evidenced by his position assignments the past two seasons: center field.

Balentien is a hit or miss prospect. He either will, or he won’t. There really is no big-league future for him if he misses. Who wants a .230 hitting outfielder with medium power and a tremendous penchant for the strikeout? Okay, who else other than you, Pedro?

The risk with Balentien’s promise is very high, but the progress he made last season is exciting.

Wlad Balentien, Prospect No. 8 No. 9.

Strengths: Balentien brings a lot of natural raw power to the table and appears to be improving his strike zone judgment and overall plate discipline. The Aruban born outfielder is a decent defender with an solid throwing arm and would fit in either corner spot.

He has quick wrists and a mean streak, which bodes well for a potential major leaguer.

Weaknesses: The free-swinging right-handed hitter is still swinging awfully hard and still chases balls out of the strike zone too often. Even with a vastly improved K/BB ratio, there is more improvement needed in this area.

He must find a way to make more consistent contact while sustaining his power numbers. Last season in San Antonio, it was either or, rarely both. Hitting in the .230s won’t get Balentien much of a look, unless he explodes in the power department. But the best way for him to max out his production is hit the baseball more often than he has.

AGE HEIGHT WEIGHT BATS THROWS ACQUIRED
22 6-1 205 Right Right UDFA, Curacao, 2000 (Williams)

YEAR TEAM LEVEL G 2B 3B HR BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS OPS*
2006 San Antonio AA 121 23 1 22 70 140 .230 .337 .435 .772 .806

Tools –

Hitting for Average (on-base skills): Balentien was your typical free-swinging slugger, Rob Deer style, for the first three seasons of his career. High strikeouts, mild walk rates, at best, and simply above-average power production, which wasn’t going to be enough to waltz Balentien into the big leagues.

In the Texas League, a pitcher’s circuit, the 22-year-old took a pretty large step forward, drawing 70 walks, more than doubling his previous career high set in 2005. His strikeout rates remained about the same and the 70 walks were drawn in nearly 50 less plate appearances than the 33 he posted in the Cal League. His +107 OBP-AVG is impressive, but he’ll need to take another step or two in the same direction to put himself on the map.

“Balentien knows how to square it up and put a charge into it,” says former Mariners minor league hitting coordinator Glenn Adams. “He just needs to learn how to hit now. The power will take care of itself with him. He has all those other things necessary for him to be a good power guy, now it’s just about getting him comfortable, making more contact and getting base hits.”
Grade: 35/50

Hitting for Power: Balentien’s shtick, so to speak, is hitting the tar out of the baseball. It’s his bread and butter and while he’s not bad at it, his power still doesn’t grade out as well as it could, due to the lack of consistency.

Like many young hitters, Balentien is in a hurry to hit a 5-run shot over the river and through the woods. On occasion, he reaches the riverbank, but far too often he ends up wishing for a mulligan.

He’s learning to shorten his stride and has developed a better, shorter swing overall, allowing his bat to take a more effective route through the zone.
Grade: 60/65

Glove: Balentien can make the neceesary plays, but, despite playing center field for the better part of his career to this point, his future is in left or right. He lacks the natural instincts to play center and his footspeed is merely average – at best – for the position. He’ll likely continue to fill out and outgrow center field anyways.
Grade: 45/50

Arm: Balentien has an above average throwing arm, both in strength and accuracy, though he tends to “let it fly” sometimes out of pure effort. He throws well enough to play right and is an ideal left fielder in a park like Safeco, at least as far as his arm strength is concerned.
Grade: 50/60

Baserunning: Balentien’s baserunning skills are likely to become fairly insignificant in both directions because he’s either going to be a power hitter or he’s not going to be a big-league player. He’s aggressive on the base paths and likes to steal bases, though he’s got a lot of learning to do in that area as well.
Grade: 45/50

Future: Balentien has a long ways to go to be considered a major league hitter. The tools are there, but the skills are not, at least not yet. He need a few more coats of polish to get things in order. There’s a pretty good chance he never gets there, but he’s interesting and will be as entertaining as any offensive prospect this season.

Wlad should begin his 2007 season in Triple-A Tacoma where the pitching and early season weather will challenge his discipline and the ballparks will lend a hand to his power numbers.

MLB ETA: 2008

MLB CLONE -

Ceiling: Bill Hall

Median: Jose Guillen

Cellar: Alex Escobar

PI Projection: .247/.306/.433, 48 BB, 118 K

OFP: 61.0

Posted in M's Top Prospects, Scouting Reports, Seattle Mariners | 31 Comments »

mace
07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Consider, also, that the thing most lacking in the Reds' system in power. And the thing in greatest surplus is probably relief pitching. It's a good move for balance, if nothing else.

FlyerFanatic
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
the central is ours now! huge get right here...

RedLegsToday
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
All snark aside, this guy was hyped quite highly a couple of years ago. Robert Manuel was superfluous. This is a fine trade and maybe the Reds can let him get himself figured out in Louisville. Hell, even as bad as he has hit this year, he's still much better than Willy Taveras.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
If Jim Bowden was still GM of the Gnats there is no way the Reds would have got Balentien. Jim Bowden suffers from the five-tools drools. Well he used to anyway.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I hope Bavasi can fix Balentien a little more effectively than Quirk fixed Taveras. :D

LouisvilleCARDS
07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Here's the big move we all asked for, right? :bash:

travisgrimes
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
i love this move i see alot of potential in his bat ... he could really flourish in GABP

mroby85
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought it was a typo, and was thinking Vladimir Guerrero, lol.

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I like this. A lot. Balentin has great upside imo and Manuel was just a step above organizational filler.

I sure hope this isn't it for us, but it is a very positive start.

markymark69
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't see alot of help in this deal, but I don't think we lose anything with Manuel. He did alright, but I didn't see him in the future plans.

My hope is Balentien will flourish in Cincinnati like Phillips. If you remember, he had very meager numbers with the Indians before his trade to Cincy.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 04:02 PM
It sure beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I guess if a trade can't hurt and might help you might as well pull the trigger on it.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I just looked up Manuel's minor league numbers and they are fairly impressive. Excellent control. Strikes people out. Doesn't give up a lot of hits or home runs. Good bye, Manuel. We hardly knew ye. Maybe we got poked in the eye with that sharp stick after all.

IP 349
HITS 319
HR 18
BB 60
K 328
ERA 2.86
WHIP 1.085
H/9 7.1
HR/9 0.5
BB/9 1.5
K/9 8.5
K/BB 5.47

BluegrassRedleg
07-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Ceiling: Bill Hall

:roll:

Just don't deal him to a division rival now.

50YrRedsFan
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Hopefully this will be the start of some more substantial roster adjustments to make us competitive. Good luck to R. Manuel. Better luck to W. Balentien with us.

Ghosts of 1990
07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I love this deal. Balientien was going to be a stud. I like the RH bat. Think Jose Guillen if he pans out.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Woohoo. Dusty has another speedy OF who can't get on base to save his life. Career OBP in majors is a robust and healthy .260. Well he is young so there is always hope.

Walt was right all along. We are buyers.

He has a lot more talent than what has shown up in the majors. We needed an OF and he has a huge upside.

Great deal for the Reds. Its not like we were ever going to use manuel, and its not like he was really going to get any better.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't see alot of help in this deal, but I don't think we lose anything with Manuel. He did alright, but I didn't see him in the future plans.

My hope is Balentien will flourish in Cincinnati like Phillips. If you remember, he had very meager numbers with the Indians before his trade to Cincy.

This isnt a "this year" deal.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
You wont find a better outfield prospect in our minors if you ask me compared to Balentein. We have stubbs and Heisey but Balenteins track record outweighs theirs and hes not any older.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 05:59 PM
What is cracking me up is that all these Reds fans on sites like MLB.com and all the mariner fans see that Manuel was a reliever of the year and they thing its a complete rip off like the Reds just traded Mo Rivera for Alex cora.

texasdave
07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Lots of guys come through the pipeline with a ton of "potential". I hope Balentien realizes all of his, but a lot more fail than succeed. Maybe we ripped off Seattle. Kudos to Walt if he did. But organizations don't normally give up so soon on ballplayers with tons of potential unless they think said ballplayer is never gonna live up to it. Especially when that player still has minor league options left. It's like you said in an earlier post; it is not like we made them an offer that they couldn't refuse.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Lots of guys come through the pipeline with a ton of "potential". I hope Balentien realizes all of his, but a lot more fail than succeed. Maybe we ripped off Seattle. Kudos to Walt if he did. But organizations don't normally give up so soon on ballplayers with tons of potential unless they think said ballplayer is never gonna live up to it. Especially when that player still has minor league options left. It's like you said in an earlier post; it is not like we made them an offer that they couldn't refuse.

Its not that we ripped off Seattle. Its that we traded something we wont miss for a very solid 25 year old who has had little chances considering his minor league numbers. Seattle traded someone who can be a star for a middle reliever.

Id trade middle relievers for 25 year old with his minor league numbers, and 400 some major league ABs every day. Manuel was never goin to be anything more than that 6th inning guy.

travisgrimes
07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
anyone know where he will end up? reds or minors?

GIDP
07-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Reds

travisgrimes
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
good i'd imagine they will send down sutton and bring up someone to start in place of owings

texasdave
07-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Its not that we ripped off Seattle. Its that we traded something we wont miss for a very solid 25 year old who has had little chances considering his minor league numbers. Seattle traded someone who can be a star for a middle reliever.

Id trade middle relievers for 25 year old with his minor league numbers, and 400 some major league ABs every day. Manuel was never goin to be anything more than that 6th inning guy.

If we get a star outfielder for a 6th inning guy, I am gonna consider that ripping them off.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 07:58 PM
If we get a star outfielder for a 6th inning guy, I am gonna consider that ripping them off.

well he isnt one yet thats what I saying. He has the potential to be one, and if he never was in the majors we never would have been able to trade manuel for him. Remember this is a guy they didnt want to give up for Bedard. Quite surprising he was even DFA'd if you ask me.

Balentiens upside is an all star, but his downside is replacement.

Maneuls upside was middle relief, and his downside is middle relief.

Hondo
07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
This is Huge... Walt is really making some Moves... Only 8 Games Out! Watch out Cubbies!

mlh1981
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
His ceiling is Bill Hall? Meaning, he will have a couple of fluky seasons of monster production and then completely fall off the map?

texasdave
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
after watching the first seven innings i will glad take a couple season's of fluky monster production from anyone wearing red

Kingspoint
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Think of Juan Castro from 2 years ago, but with much less Offense.

This is about the dumbest move I've ever seen.

Give me a GCL player with some upside than this yahoo.

GIDP
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Think of Juan Castro from 2 years ago, but with much less Offense.

This is about the dumbest move I've ever seen.

Give me a GCL player with some upside than this yahoo.

Are you kidding me? You want a GCL player with some upside but you wouldnt take a AAA stud with major MLB upside?

50YrRedsFan
07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Another cast off that didn't pan out for the previous team. Is all we can get a retread from somewhere else?

Aces Wild
07-29-2009, 10:40 PM
The Reds make a smart move (for once in a LONG while), and there are people panning it. So what if Balentein doesn't pan out??.........we've lost nada. If he does reach his potential here however, we have a stud CF. This is exactly the kind of move Walt should be making right now...........low/no risk, and high reward.

Nothing he does is about this year, because this year is OVER. Hopefully, he finds a way to rid us of Harang/Arroyo's anchor chain contract, and we can have some pay flex to finish making out the roster next year.

Good job Walt.........keep it up

GIDP
07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Hes not a CF hes a corner OF.

Griffey012
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
It funny because Robert Manual was the bag of baseballs we got for the Mets to take Dave Williams off our hands. He was never looked at as anything then, and has had a nice run, but doesn't have really any ceiling at all as far as the bigs, his stuff is just too hittable. And Balentien has some pretty sick minor league stats that everyone would be salivating about if he put up in our system.

Would you trade Robert Manuel for Drew Stubbs, Heisey, or Francisco after 400 major league AB's if they didnt hit that well. Absolutely everyone here would.

Would you trade a trade a dollar bill for 5% chance at winning 1000. Yeah you all would, this is basically what we are looking at.

bounty37h
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
anyone know where he will end up? reds or minors?

I really, really hope I am wrong, and don't know that it matters if I am or not, but I am calling it now, he will be out of baseball all together in 2 years.

Griffey012
07-30-2009, 09:50 AM
I really, really hope I am wrong, and don't know that it matters if I am or not, but I am calling it now, he will be out of baseball all together in 2 years.

If Joel Guzman is still playing baseball, Balentein will definitely not be out after 2 more years. Especially with those AAA numbers he has put up, AAA teams can always use some fillers.

GIDP
07-30-2009, 09:57 AM
hes had 400 ABs. I would hate for the Reds to give up on a former top prospect after less than 1 season of ABs.

bounty37h
07-30-2009, 12:43 PM
hes had 400 ABs. I would hate for the Reds to give up on a former top prospect after less than 1 season of ABs.

He has been in their org for 9 years now though, why only that many at bats in the last 3 years???

GIDP
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
He has been in their org for 9 years now though, why only that many at bats in the last 3 years???

He was signed at the age of 16 so obviously hes going to be in their system for a long time.

Hes been in the majors for 2 years really. He has struggled so its obviously a reason why he hasnt had a ton of ABs, but giving up on a guy you used to view as a top guy, and has the minor league numbers he has is something I'd probably scream about if it was the Reds doing the giving up.

Old NDN
07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Come on Walt. Is this (trade) all you got? This is the best you can do? Please give us some hope!

WeLoveLarkin!!!
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
the savior has arrived....:rolleyes:

bounty37h
07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
He was signed at the age of 16 so obviously hes going to be in their system for a long time.

Hes been in the majors for 2 years really. He has struggled so its obviously a reason why he hasnt had a ton of ABs, but giving up on a guy you used to view as a top guy, and has the minor league numbers he has is something I'd probably scream about if it was the Reds doing the giving up.

We now at least know some of GDIP's background, this is obviously his family, as he bashes every single other player, but defends this guy million times over in this thread? Uncle Wlad?

GIDP
07-31-2009, 10:43 AM
We now at least know some of GDIP's background, this is obviously his family, as he bashes every single other player, but defends this guy million times over in this thread? Uncle Wlad?

:confused:

bounty37h
07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
:confused:

Bustin your 'nads GDIP; you often arent the most optimistic person on players, and was giving you a hard time about this one. I do hope he can find whatever he has and make this a positive move. i am neither impressed or upset over this one, just see it as doing something to say they did, adn hope to catch wind in a bag at the same time. I hope they sail with it.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Bustin your 'nads GDIP; you often arent the most optimistic person on players, and was giving you a hard time about this one. I do hope he can find whatever he has and make this a positive move. i am neither impressed or upset over this one, just see it as doing something to say they did, adn hope to catch wind in a bag at the same time. I hope they sail with it.

I didnt catch on to the ribbing.

I tend to be pretty set on my opinions on players. I see a lot of promise with Balentien and just dont see a problem with this deal at all from a reds stand point. I think if he wasnt DFA'd everyone would have been amazed we only gave up Manuel.

bounty37h
07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I didnt catch on to the ribbing.

I tend to be pretty set on my opinions on players. I see a lot of promise with Balentien and just dont see a problem with this deal at all from a reds stand point. I think if he wasnt DFA'd everyone would have been amazed we only gave up Manuel.

I hope your right, as I said, I will just sit on this one and see how it turns out, could be good, could be a wash; but dont see it being a neg in any way, so cant be a bad move.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
I hope your right, as I said, I will just sit on this one and see how it turns out, could be good, could be a wash; but dont see it being a neg in any way, so cant be a bad move.

exactly

redsinraleigh
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
why not play him to see what we got??

Kingspoint
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Are you kidding me? You want a GCL player with some upside but you wouldnt take a AAA stud with major MLB upside?

I've watched Balentien play in person about a dozen times and on television about 500 times. He is Juan Castro from a couple years ago, but with less power.

He is AAA, at best. The only reason he's getting tossed around to different clubs right now is becuase there are too many Major League Clubs and too little talent, so the teams like the REDS have a lot of AAA players on their roster.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
I've watched Balentien play in person about a dozen times and on television about 500 times. He is Juan Castro from a couple years ago, but with less power.

He is AAA, at best. The only reason he's getting tossed around to different clubs right now is becuase there are too many Major League Clubs and too little talent, so the teams like the REDS have a lot of AAA players on their roster.

You seriously think Balentien has less power than Juan Castro? The same Juan Castro a guy who has 36 career home runs in over 2600 PA? Also the same Juan Castro who has never had a season comparable to Balentiens minor league seasons.

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2009, 02:59 AM

Disagree. He's nothing like Juan Castro. That is not accurate. He's closer to Wily Mo Pena then he is Castro.

Highest upside, think Jose Guillen. At worst.... maybe Alex Ochoa without as much average.

GIDP
08-02-2009, 03:19 AM
I really hope we start to see some of him soon. He has some massive power, and did develop some solid walk rates in the minors.

I can see the comp to Pena but Balentien has things Pena never had.
A solid walk rate is 1. The ability to hit for average. The only thing I can really see comparable is their contact rates and power. If he compares to anyone its probably Nelson Cruz.

texasdave
08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
What's up with Wlado? He was signed to be a PH? Start that young man. Let him play. Hell, let's see what we got here.

jfleur87
08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Highest upside, think Jose Guillen. At worst.... maybe Alex Ochoa without as much average.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, the mentioning of Alex Ochoa (one of my favorite reds and if I recall a Denzel lookalike) brings back some fond memories. I remember one time I was at a game and a player rounded first a little too far for Alex's liking and he threw a seed over to first. It left the fans around me stunned and speechless for a few minutes. To this day, in person, I've never seen a throw quite like it.

BEETTLEBUG
08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree get him in lineup and see what they got. Sutton is ok he he is a utility player.

GIDP
08-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Well we got our 1st real look at Balentien tonight. He drew a walk, smoked 3 balls with 2 of them robbing him of hits, and the other being a pretty powerful oppo home run shot. He misplayed one ball kinda in left but over all I think he did pretty well in the field.

So far I like what I see.

Shawn_RedsFan
08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Well we got our 1st real look at Balentien tonight. He drew a walk, smoked 3 balls with 2 of them robbing him of hits, and the other being a pretty powerful oppo home run shot. He misplayed one ball kinda in left but over all I think he did pretty well in the field.

So far I like what I see.

Sadly only reason he was probably in the lineup because a lefty was pitching :(. I'd like to see him playing practically every day.

GIDP
08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Sadly only reason he was probably in the lineup because a lefty was pitching :(. I'd like to see him playing practically every day.

Well maybe Dusty will notice he hit the bomb off a righty. Probably not though.

GIDP
08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Another pretty decent game from him tonight. Keep it going Wlad.

redlegs2370
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Was at the 8-5-09 game against the Cubs and was impressed at the cuts Wladimir had against Harden. With all the attention that has been given to the trade for Rolen, the trade for Wladimir may just be the sleeper of the year. Would be nice to see him get a good number of AB's, who knows he could be a cheap solution to a right handed bat with some pop.

Jones1
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow this guy is the real deal 2 hits today on a very good pitcher in Cain and its only the 5th inning! So far since coming to the Reds Balentein has 8 hits in 20 AB's, not too shabby. Looks like we may have gotten ourselves a steal here. Also did anyone hear Griffey Jr called Jocketty and told him he needs to get this guy.

Now If Rolen can get healthy and Votto can break his funk, we might have a little offense from this team.

Jones1
08-09-2009, 05:20 PM
the savior has arrived....:rolleyes:
The way the guy is hitting he might be for the Reds and the fact he's been doing it to stud pitchers screams it even louder.

malcontent
08-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Old Walt stole a good one in Balentien.

This takes a bit of the sting out of the Rolen blunder, for me.

Jones1
08-09-2009, 05:27 PM

After he's had about 75 AB's Im going to ring this thread out again. I know its 20 AB's but this guys swing, approach and defense looks pretty nice to me. Is your foot stuck Kingspoint? It will be lol...

captainmorgan07
08-09-2009, 05:27 PM
The kid puts together quality at bats everytime at the dish. There's alot of guys who need to do this on this club. He's been a pleasant surprise.

Hondo
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
This guy is doing well... I must admit, I kinda made fun of the Trade...

How is he doing for Defense? Is he a Player out there?

GIDP
08-09-2009, 07:02 PM
This guy is doing well... I must admit, I kinda made fun of the Trade...

How is he doing for Defense? Is he a Player out there?

Pretty sure hes average for RF, Above average LF, and has a good arm.

jfleur87
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I took a look at all of his clips on MLB, and while of course they were all clips of him excelling in some way, his play in LF as a Mariner looked pretty effortless, and there was one video of a homerun that finally allowed me to see the Wily Mo comparison...wow was all I could think of. Halfway or so up the leftcenter bleachers in the Mariners ballpark

Maldez
08-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't look now, but after the Giants series Balentien's batting a cool .400 as a Red.

REDblooded
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I still can't believe the Mariners gave up on this kid... I mean, 2 seasons ago he was the reason they let Adam Jones get away in the Bedard deal, and now he's wearing a Reds uni for next to nothing...