PDA

View Full Version : George Sherrill to the Dodgers

Brutus
07-30-2009, 03:04 PM
There's the bullpen help they wanted.

This is according to Ed Price of Fanhouse. EDIT: Technically, he says "according to a source. Checking to confirm." I miss the days, even in a Twitter, information-now type of world, where the "checking to confirm" would come before the reporting. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned that way.

Highlifeman21
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I guess we're still stuck with Rhodes then?

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but unless we make some serious moves, Rhodes will be wasted on this roster for 2010.

Benihana
07-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but unless we make some serious moves, Rhodes will be wasted on this roster for 2010.

Here's an idea: how about Rhodes, Bailey and Stubbs to the Marlins for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin?

Highlifeman21
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Here's an idea: how about Rhodes, Bailey and Stubbs to the Marlins for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin?

I would have no problem with that at all.

The Marlins might, however.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2009, 04:05 PM
2:44pm: MLB.com's Ken Gurnick reports that the Dodgers acquired George Sherrill for Josh Bell and righty Steve Johnson.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nice return for the Orioles. The Reds should have offered Rhodes and Weathers.

HeatherC1212
07-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Good deal for the Orioles. :)

jojo
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I would have no problem with that at all.

The Marlins might, however.

:cool:

savafan
07-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Even after adding George Sherrill, the Dodgers are looking to add relievers, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. They're interested in adding a right-handed setup man. Teams in conversation with the Dodgers say they have interest in David Weathers, Matt Capps, Arthur Rhodes and Jason Frasor.

Highlifeman21
07-30-2009, 10:18 PM
:cool:

You think the Marlins would be onboard with that proposed trade?

jojo
07-31-2009, 07:57 AM

No.

Benihana
07-31-2009, 09:55 AM

No.

He also thought Joey Votto and a high level prospect wasn't nearly enough to pry Matt Holliday away from the Rockies this offseason. In fact, I think he described the offer as "surreal" in a joke kind of way. Oh, and Wladimir Balentien was untouchable and a future HOF for the Mariners.

jojo
07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
He also thought Joey Votto and a high level prospect wasn't nearly enough to pry Matt Holliday away from the Rockies this offseason. In fact, I think he described the offer as "surreal" in a joke kind of way. Oh, and Wladimir Balentien was untouchable and a future HOF for the Mariners.

If you're referring to me, you simply aren't remembering correctly-especially if you are attributing the Wlad characterization to me. To reiterate my response to a similar statement you've made recently in another thread, I simply have not used anything close to that kind of language with Wlad.

For instance, here are some of my thoughts about Wlad as of July '08 (obviously his performance, additions to the Ms 25 man roster and development of some outfielders in their system since last July suggest opinions about his future-espeacially as an M-need to be even further tempered):

A guy like Wlad Balentein could also be a potential answer but he'd be a question mark and may not even be available(he's out of options though).

Felix probably has as much trade value as anyone in baseball right now. Wlad projects to be an everyday RFer. He's not ready yet but he's close, he'll probably be something like a neutral defender and in Safeco he'll probably be a slightly above average bat for a RFer. Seattle might be willing to trade him but they certainly wouldn't dump him given he's the kind of guy they're looking to accumulate.

I'd be happy to clear up any further confusion you have about my take on Wlad via PMs.

Benihana
07-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel says the Padres wanted Cameron Maybin and Miller for Bell.

Doesn't sound like the original trade proposal was too preposterous. I'm pretty sure that Rhodes/Weathers (maybe even both), Bailey and Stubbs >>>> Heath Bell

jojo
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Doesn't sound like the original trade proposal was too preposterous. I'm pretty sure that Rhodes/Weathers (maybe even both), Bailey and Stubbs >>>> Heath Bell

Are Maybin and Miller Padres? :cool:

Benihana
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Are Maybin and Miller Padres? :cool:

No, but it's clearly been discussed. You have a tendency to dismiss trade proposals out of hand, even if they are reasonable enough to be discussed by real, actual GMs at the most stressful time of year for them- the Trade Deadline.

jojo
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
No, but it's clearly been discussed. You have a tendency to dismiss trade proposals out of hand, even if they are reasonable enough to be discussed by real, actual GMs at the most stressful time of year for them- the Trade Deadline.

I have a tendency to dismiss trade proposals that are unreasonable in my view.

The Heath Bell one seemed unreasonable to the the Marlins if in fact it was actually accurate. I'm not sure why that would be a templet for constructing other proposals.

Benihana
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I have a tendency to dismiss trade proposals that are unreasonable in my view.

The Heath Bell one seemed unreasonable to the the Marlins. I'm not sure why that would be a templet for other proposals.

In your view, Joey Votto + prospect for Matt Holliday this past offseason was unreasonable to the Rockies.

jojo
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
In your view, Joey Votto + prospect for Matt Holliday this past offseason was unreasonable to the Rockies.

If you want to have this discussion, then at least have the courtesy to provide the direct quote for some context.

jojo
07-31-2009, 11:33 AM
BTW, there are some real doozy trade ideas in the archives we could discuss if you want to talk about dismissing trade ideas.

Benihana
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
nm

corkedbat
07-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Wouldn't be to worried about being stuck with Thodes. He's only making $2M and they'll just turn around and pay $2M for a piece of bullpen fodder if they deal him. I'd still like to see him bring a return though.