PDA

View Full Version : The UFL

MJA
07-30-2009, 10:13 PM
What do you guys think? Does it have a shot at carving out its own niche and possibly becoming a minor league for the NFL? Or do you think its doomed to bankruptcy?

I think they got the right mindset and I expect that their creation will cause the NFL to adopt a minor league faster than they would by themselves.

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I expect it to go the way of the XFL, the World League, and the USFL.

You can't compete with the NFL's marketing machine -- especially when they've got ESPN in their back pocket.

KronoRed
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Doomed, college football is the minor league system of the NFL.

paintmered
07-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Is this the league comprised of only four-year college players that didn't make it into the NFL? Or was that something different?

Orenda
07-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Is this the league comprised of only four-year college players that didn't make it into the NFL? Or was that something different?

plus Goodell's miscreants.

KronoRed
07-31-2009, 12:06 AM

That was the All American Football League, another bust that likely will never play a game and of course the USFL reveal also on life support.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Football_League#Postponement_of_inaug ural_season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Football_League_(2010)

Guess it's an idea that will never die.

MJA
07-31-2009, 12:07 AM
The ABA anyone? As long as the league's goal is to become the NFL's minor league they got a shot, otherwise they are screwed.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2009, 01:23 AM
The ABA anyone? As long as the league's goal is to become the NFL's minor league they got a shot, otherwise they are screwed.

Actually I agree with you. From what I have read (quite a while ago) they have no intention of competing with the NFL IIRC. If that's the case they may very well have a shot they seem to have a different feel to them that I can't quite put my finger on.

sonny
07-31-2009, 08:53 AM
JP Loseman signed a deal with the Las Vegas Team IIRC

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Unless the NFL is funneling $$$ to it then I don't expect it to last past this one season. Wouldn't be surprised if it dies before their season is over.

redsfanmia
07-31-2009, 08:01 PM

The ABA was a better product than the NBA they just lacked funds.

westofyou
07-31-2009, 08:06 PM
The ABA was a better product than the NBA they just lacked funds.

I don't remember the ABA ever being displayed to the fans as a minor league, nor was the WHA.

UFL?

Where's my Detroit Wheels t-shirt, or my Oakland Invaders wrist bands?

redsfanmia
07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't remember the ABA ever being displayed to the fans as a minor league, nor was the WHA.

UFL?

Where's my Detroit Wheels t-shirt, or my Oakland Invaders wrist bands?

That is what I was trying to say. The ABA was a better more fan friendly product and the NBA adopted a few of the rules that made the ABA better, the prime example being the 3-point shot.

westofyou
07-31-2009, 08:53 PM
That is what I was trying to say. The ABA was a better more fan friendly product and the NBA adopted a few of the rules that made the ABA better, the prime example being the 3-point shot.

I loved the ABA, it was smaller than the NBA and seemed to have a the talent spread a little better than the NBA

redsfanmia
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I loved the ABA, it was smaller than the NBA and seemed to have a the talent spread a little better than the NBA

I know you have read it but if you have not pick up Loose Balls by Terry Pluto. I love this book.

westofyou
08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I know you have read it but if you have not pick up Loose Balls by Terry Pluto. I love this book.

I actually have been looking for that, no luck.. I'll have to get it online I guess.

MJA
08-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Great book, and though its true the ABA was screwed because of a poor financial situation, their goal from the beginning was not to knock out the NBA but to force a merger.

Though that won't work with the NFL for obvious reasons, the UFL needs to have a similar attitude. They can't beat the NFL, but they can join them as a minor league if they prove that they can draw fans to the gate and on the tube.

Also, why has no one made a really good ABA documentary? Seems like a no brainer, the 3 point shot transformed the game from a slow tight post game into a wide open athletic one.

gilpdawg
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I actually have been looking for that, no luck.. I'll have to get it online I guess.
I used to have a paperback copy of it. Seriously, I'm not joking........my dog ate it. :D

gilpdawg
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Great book, and though its true the ABA was screwed because of a poor financial situation, their goal from the beginning was not to knock out the NBA but to force a merger.

Though that won't work with the NFL for obvious reasons, the UFL needs to have a similar attitude. They can't beat the NFL, but they can join them as a minor league if they prove that they can draw fans to the gate and on the tube.

Also, why has no one made a really good ABA documentary? Seems like a no brainer, the 3 point shot transformed the game from a slow tight post game into a wide open athletic one.
HBO did a doc on the ABA a few years ago. I've never seen it though.